It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
landrew
Has No Life

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by landrew » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:14 am

"It's so ironic, Trump finally went to Vietnam and gets killed back home." -Seth Meyers
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:36 pm

WaPo summarizes what went on yesterday and adds yet another possible indictment of Trump:
WaPo wrote:Bank, wire and tax fraud. Cohen testified that Trump inflated his assets to win bank loans and deflated them to reduce his taxes — precisely the kind of scheme for which Trump’s former campaign manager, Paul Manafort, is now facing lengthy prison time. And Cohen added that he knew of other offenses that federal prosecutors are still investigating.
The Republican flounders here amuse me greatly. I wonder how many of them, a few years ago (when Obama was President) were members of what Dave Barry called The Committee to Investigate Benghazi Until the Earth Crashes into the Sun. The very ones who are now saying this whole investigation is a waste of time, the same people who had all the time in the world to investigate Bill Clinton back in the 90s and Hillary's e-mails....
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:38 pm

landrew wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:14 am
"It's so ironic, Trump finally went to Vietnam and gets killed back home." -Seth Meyers
And now the whole summit has blown up. This is being touted as a Trump failure. Diplomatically, it might not be. But on the other hand, Trump did say before he left that there was a "treaty ready to sign." He lies about these things so casually that one would hardly notice this one, a mere drop in the ocean of his lies.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:45 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:38 pm
landrew wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:14 am
And now the whole summit has blown up. This is being touted as a Trump failure. Diplomatically, it might not be. But on the other hand, Trump did say before he left that there was a "treaty ready to sign." He lies about these things so casually that one would hardly notice this one, a mere drop in the ocean of his lies.
The first one was also a failure by any reasonable account, but that doesn't stop Trump from constantly claiming success from every endeavor, to the cheers and applause from his clueless support base.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:53 pm

To be fair - a total collapse of the talks was the best we could have hoped for: how much worse would it have been if Trump had put his signature under any kind of treaty?

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:27 pm

Like sending a six year old to negotiate your mortgage.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:45 pm

Dictators like Putin & Kim play Trump like a virtuoso plays a violin. Trump is too tone deaf to hear the music.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Custom Title: Lost in Translation

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:02 pm

He wants to be them. Democracy is such a pain in the ass.
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”

Harvard Crimson (on why it refused to run an add by Bradley Smith):
“(It is) vicious propaganda based on utter BS that has been discredited time and time again.”

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:08 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:02 pm
He wants to be them. Democracy is such a pain in the ass.
Indeed - it might land him in jail.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:01 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:53 pm
To be fair - a total collapse of the talks was the best we could have hoped for: how much worse would it have been if Trump had put his signature under any kind of treaty?
Amen, bro! My worst nightmare was that Trump would be thirsting so hard for a "win" and a Nobel Prize to match Obama's that he would give the store away. I think his handlers probably just had to sit on him and threaten to resign and make a scandal if he did that. What Kim Jong-Un was proposing was so outrageous to Western eyes that they knew Trump could not get away with it, even with his Senate full of sycophants.

So, he was reduced to committing the lowest, slimiest thing he has yet done, proclaiming now for the THIRD time that he believes a corrupt, lying dictator instead of his own intelligence services. I think, given that NK tortured an American citizen to death (and who could possibly believe that NK agents did that on their own initiative, without consulting The Boss?), this is not going to play well in the US. If I were a Democratic operative, I'd make sure it got plenty of publicity.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:13 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:01 pm
ElectricMonk wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:53 pm
...I think his handlers probably just had to sit on him and threaten to resign and make a scandal if he did that...
Nah, they simply told him that Obama would have certainly taken the deal... :roll:
Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:13 am

As posted elsewhere...

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:00 am

I woct the entire thing.

The GoPs are an embarrassment. They were grandstanding for their deluded voterz and counting on their short memoryz in case Trump bekumz unpopular after doing sumthing beyond wut even the deplorablz can excuze.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:52 am

Just a thought... I expect it to come any tweet now… But will Trump be lying when he says that he served in Vietnam? :?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:59 am

I think he's half was to claiming he brought Peace to Vietnam? Asia??? The World????

I got a load of Lou Dobbs for the first time on Faux Spews. Wow. They are nuttier than Trump. I don't think Trump ever slows down enough to even consider whether or not he believes himself.......its not in his equation. But the others??? NEWCASTERS FOR f SAKE!!
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:05 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:59 am
I think he's half was to claiming he brought Peace to Vietnam? Asia??? The World????

I got a load of Lou Dobbs for the first time on Faux Spews. Wow. They are nuttier than Trump. I don't think Trump ever slows down enough to even consider whether or not he believes himself.......its not in his equation. But the others??? NEWCASTERS FOR f SAKE!!
I haven't watched Dobbs for years. He was already looney the last time I saw him a decade ago, crazy as Rush Limbaugh, who is the touchstone of craziness these days.

The GOP senators are now (very timidly and temporarily) upset about Trump's defense of Kim Jong-Un. But don't worry: their powers of healing are prodigious, and they'll forget about it as soon as they can do it without making headlines. Meanwhile, Trump has now groveled to support yet a fourth odious, murderous dictator (Putin, Bin Salman, Duterte, Kim Jong-Un). The list gets longer and longer... But this is the first one who had a native-born American as the prominent victim. Democrats could make something of this, if only they would. It's a bigger story than the failed summit, and would have more political traction. There are people on both sides of the political divide (including me) who are glad Trump walked away from what Kim Jong-Un was offering.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:06 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:43 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:05 pm

The GOP senators are now (very timidly and temporarily) upset about Trump's defense of Kim Jong-Un. But don't worry: their powers of healing are prodigious, ...........
I do love a well crafted under statement. Over statements too. What is it about being well crafted????
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:36 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:43 am
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:05 pm

The GOP senators are now (very timidly and temporarily) upset about Trump's defense of Kim Jong-Un. But don't worry: their powers of healing are prodigious, ...........
I do love a well crafted under statement. Over statements too. What is it about being well crafted????
Thank you. :oops:

I too like well crafted sentences, and I keep encountering them in my favorite writers over the years: Mark Twain, Bertrand Russell, CS Lewis, HL Mencken, and others.

On this issue, Trump now tweets out his usual inkjet so he can scurry away. He says (1) of COURSE he holds NK responsible (but he didn't specify what consequences that would have for anybody); (2) Warmbier was arrested on Obama's watch (so it was really Obama's fault; Obama should have sent a company of marines to protect Warmbier); (3) he (Trump) got him back and (4) he LOVES Warmbier and thinks about him often. :banghead: I prefer cold beer to warm beer (Warmes Bier in German), but I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

And the whole Hanoi story continues to get worse. The US has now unilaterally acceded to North Korea's demand for a cessation of joint exercises with the ROK army. Got NOTHING in return for that; that's the Art of the Deal.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:59 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:36 am
... The US has now unilaterally acceded to North Korea's demand for a cessation of joint exercises with the ROK army.
Do you have a reference for this? It is those exercises which keep the two forces aligned and ready, and weakens the defence of SK if they are stopped, and of course increases the risks to both forces. I knew he had cancelled one such exercise.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:07 pm

It's probably featured on RT - Lavrov was sent to make sure he did...

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:30 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:59 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
... The US has now unilaterally acceded to North Korea's demand for a cessation of joint exercises with the ROK army.
Do you have a reference for this? It is those exercises which keep the two forces aligned and ready, and weakens the defence of SK if they are stopped, and of course increases the risks to both forces. I knew he had cancelled one such exercise.
The news came yesterday. I almost suspect Trump had ordered it earlier and planned to announce it after signing his triumphant peace treaty with NK. He probably just forgot to cancel the announcement after the summit.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:32 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:07 pm
It's probably featured on RT - Lavrov was sent to make sure he did...
I too wondered why Lavrov was around in Hanoi. My guess was that no one wanted Russia to feel ignored and excluded. I don't know if Trump met Lavrov there or not. Does anybody know about this?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:30 pm
TJrandom wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:59 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
The news came yesterday. I almost suspect Trump had ordered it earlier and planned to announce it after signing his triumphant peace treaty with NK. He probably just forgot to cancel the announcement after the summit.
Or he is trying to get back into Kimmy's good graces after their date flopped... :?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:52 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:I too wondered why Lavrov was around in Hanoi. My guess was that no one wanted Russia to feel ignored and excluded.
As you know Russia is Vietnam's strong ally.

"Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Monday that the United States had asked Moscow's advice in dealing with North Korea ahead of a summit between President Donald Trump and the North Korean leader."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-us- ... am-lavrov/
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/02/ ... ays-a64606

Vietnam was rewarded for hosting Trump's silly conference and bought $20 million worth of Boeing passenger airlines, three days before the conference. I'm looking for any US government discounts. Additionally Russia formally informed Vietnam it would continue to supply Vietnam with military hardware last week.

China, for pushing Jong Un to the table, seemed to get a time extension before the higher rate of tariffs take effect,

Jong Un got another photo opportunity and Nth Korean state media is not informing the Nth Koreans that the conference was a fizzer,

Communist North Korea, Communist Vietnam and Communist China all won something. I think Lavrov was there to have celebratory drinks with Vietnam, China and North Korea after Trump went home.
:D

MikeN
Regular Poster

Post by MikeN » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:54 am

North Korea is controlled by China, and has been since forever. Reunification with South Korea is not what they want.

Meanwhile, Trump has to let Kim save face as he attempts to shift North towards South, which is what Southern leaders have been pushing for at least a decade.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:14 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:52 am
Upton_O_Goode wrote:I too wondered why Lavrov was around in Hanoi. My guess was that no one wanted Russia to feel ignored and excluded.
As you know Russia is Vietnam's strong ally.

"Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Monday that the United States had asked Moscow's advice in dealing with North Korea ahead of a summit between President Donald Trump and the North Korean leader."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-us- ... am-lavrov/
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/02/ ... ays-a64606

Vietnam was rewarded for hosting Trump's silly conference and bought $20 million worth of Boeing passenger airlines, three days before the conference. I'm looking for any US government discounts. Additionally Russia formally informed Vietnam it would continue to supply Vietnam with military hardware last week.

China, for pushing Jong Un to the table, seemed to get a time extension before the higher rate of tariffs take effect,

Jong Un got another photo opportunity and Nth Korean state media is not informing the Nth Koreans that the conference was a fizzer,

Communist North Korea, Communist Vietnam and Communist China all won something. I think Lavrov was there to have celebratory drinks with Vietnam, China and North Korea after Trump went home.
:D
I had just assumed that Lavrov was Trump's handler and that they needed a cover story to meet up, with NK, providing that. Besides, how else would Trump come up with the idea to cancel military readyness?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:21 am

IIRC, taking Putin's advice on that is what made Mattis call the Child Emperor exactly that. :-P

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:55 am

MikeN wrote: North Korea is controlled by China, and has been since forever.
Korea under Japanese rule began with the end of the short-lived Korean Empire in 1910 and ended at the conclusion of World War II in 1945. ... A major stepping-stone towards the Japanese occupation of Korea was the Japan–Korea Treaty of 1905, in which the then-Korean Empire was declared a protectorate of Japan.

North Korea came into existence in August 1945 with the removal of Japan at the end of WWII.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:12 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:38 am
Just for grins, I sent the Paul Manafort cuck link off to snopes, asking Is he? :lol: I doubt they will touch it, but maybe... :mrgreen:
I have been watching snopes for this. Maybe my question and thus suggested article title warned them off... 'Is Paul Manafort a Cuck?' :)

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:58 pm

China would love to see the Koreas united and within their sphere of influence.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:20 pm

"Trump,
because Alex Jones, that's why."

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:21 pm

I have been concerned that Trump might abandon both SK and Formosa to China in trade for economic concessions.

And of course for
Spoiler:
new Trump hotel & golf course consessions in the greater China

MikeN
Regular Poster

Post by MikeN » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:47 am

>China would love to see the Koreas united and within their sphere of influence.

Yes, but not a non-Communist one that is not in their sphere of influence, and all the way at their border.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:51 am

MikeN wrote:China would love to see the Koreas united and within their sphere of influence. Yes, but not a non-Communist one that is not in their sphere of influence, and all the way at their border.
I think everyone is overestimating China's cohesion. It has over a million Uyghurs in re-education centres, has to import its food and only got rid of fragmented warlords as late as 1948. As soon as food prices go up with standard of living,, I'm sure entire provinces will be seeking independence. Taiwan is not a military threat but rather a threat for simply existing and showing independence has financial benefits.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:36 am

TJrandom wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:52 am
Just a thought... I expect it to come any tweet now… But will Trump be lying when he says that he served in Vietnam? :?
Even for him, that would be a stretch. But don't worry, we now know, thanks to him and Lindsay Graham, that it's all the fault of the Democrats that the summit blew up. They were hearing Cohen's testimony while he was hard at work trying to bring peace to the world. That's practically treason. Oh hell, it IS treason. Lock 'em up!

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Practically treason - it's that 'hard at work' thing, innit?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:59 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 pm
Yup, any time Trump is hard at work, there's treason afoot.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:47 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:59 pm
scrmbldggs wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 pm
Yup, any time Trump is hard at work, there's treason afoot.
Yup – treasonTrump’s ridiculous evasion and spurious obstruction necessity.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:17 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?