It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:59 pm

:hmm: If it's the first batch, it's been reported that that hasn't been (or hardly been) touched yet?

However, an imaginary border wall fits right into the "reality" of his FOX-watching and Twiterring base. :nuts:
Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Rep. Eric Swalwell in response to the newest hollering about....Caravans!

"These caravans, do you see them in the room with you right now?"

:lol:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:33 am

So the guy who's "distanced himself completely" from his business claims it's losing money because of his current occupation. Does that mean it's too difficult for Mr Genius to rake in the Rubles undetected under the circumstances?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Medley of the morning's Trump-related news:

(1) Apparently McConnell has told Trump there will be serious consequences if the latter declares an emergency, including possibly a bill passed by both houses of Congress that Trump would have to veto. As usual, I say "apparently" because Trump doesn't like any aides present at his meeting. (So WHO are the Republicans who requested anonymity when they leaked this story?)
WaPo wrote: McConnell delivered the message during a face-to-face meeting with the president Tuesday at the White House, according to the Republicans, who requested anonymity to describe the encounter. The two men met alone and conversed with no aides present. Their meeting was not publicly announced.
(2) Here's a reporter who is bucking for a job with Trump's EPA. Note the highlighted weasel word "reportedly." It's all "just a theory" then:
CNN wrote: Maslin told CNN that he and the team of researchers conducted the study by examining archaeological evidence and historical data and analyzing Antarctic ice, which can trap atmospheric gas and reportedly reveal the quantity of carbon dioxide that was in the atmosphere long ago.
(3) And, about that jobs report yesterday. Was it seasonally adjusted? How big a role was played by the best holiday season in six years? (And, by the way, who was President six years ago? Oh, yeah....) We'll know more when the February numbers come in, I suppose.
The Guardian wrote: “We knew the day was coming when they would make their cuts. The majority of the staff was seasonal. Those of us who had our certifications assumed just the seasonal people would get cut,” Foster said. He commuted from Philadelphia to Norristown four days a week for the job and had resigned another full-time position to take it.

But last week, Foster and dozens of other seasonal and contracted employees at the Amazon clothing plant were laid off along with thousands of other workers at retailers across the U.S. Retailers have just had their best holiday season in six years but for retail workers the post-holiday come down has been brutal.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:44 pm

Before I quit for the day, has anybody noted that Trump has given a Medal of Freedom to Marion Adelson? For doing what? For contributing millions of dollars to the Trump campaign and to the defense of the felons who work for Trump and are now facing the consequences of their felonies.

Truly, this makes one ashamed to be an American. It was bad enough when GW Bush passed out the MoF's like pretzels at a bar to the mediocrities who created the mess in Iraq. But this is naked politics, not even related to the government's business.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:46 pm

:hmm: But perhaps to the Grifter's "business".

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:38 pm
Medley of the morning's Trump-related news:

(1) Apparently McConnell has told Trump there will be serious consequences if the latter declares an emergency, including possibly a bill passed by both houses of Congress that Trump would have to veto.
Well, since, according to the Chicken in chief, Trump's Wall is being built while we are speaking (apparently from some mysterious funds) - what emergency?

As usual, I say "apparently" because Trump doesn't like any aides present at his meeting. (So WHO are the Republicans who requested anonymity when they leaked this story?)

Most likely one so-called Republican - the Leaker in chief...

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:06 pm

The best news for Trump is that the DJIA went up 60 points yesterday. Now he can tweet (for the fourth time since 2017) about the extraordinary achievement of getting this marker above 25,000.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:08 pm

Is that what he calls his little fungus?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Aha! Is Trump's yearly medical coming up again? Because: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 63d9a7edc4
Trump taps Ronny Jackson to receive promotion and be his doctor, despite open investigation

...President Trump has tapped a senior Navy officer that he considered last year to be his Veterans Affairs secretary for promotion to two-star admiral and to be his doctor, even though there is still an open Pentagon investigation against him into allegations that derailed his VA secretary nomination....
I guess he wants a doctor whom he can control.

"Tell them I'm the new add-on-ass."
"Do...do you mean 'Adonis'?"
"Yes, even better! That's what I meant. That word you said."
"'Adonis'?"
"Yes, I invented that word, I have the best words."
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:10 pm

:lol:

Since Trump obviously didn't grow in stature, where'll the rear admiral shave off the bulk this time?

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:59 pm

Trump describes the presidency as “one of the greatest losers of all time”

https://www.msnbc.com/.../trump-describ ... st-losers-...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:06 pm

Trump scrapping the INF treaty was exactly what Putin wanted:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... -putin-did

I wonder what means of communication Trump has with his boss in Moscow.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:31 am

landrew wrote: Trump scrapping the INF treaty was exactly what Putin wanted:
I agree. This is shocking. Russia is more advanced with its intermediate missiles. Now Putin can deploy them.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:08 am

I read an article in the BI I liked, in which they ranked Nuclear weapons capabilities, and put China on top.

https://www.businessinsider.com/9-nucle ... ins-2019-1

Russia and the US have an outdated, and just not very credible nuclear doctrine,compared to China. And new intermediate missiles won't change that.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Of course, you guys are all correct, but goddamn! it's depressing to be back in the old arms race. Oh well, maybe we never really left it....

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:34 pm

DailyKos is now posting tweets from people VERY unhappy with their tax refunds this year. These are middle-class people, judging from the incomes they report. I was just beginning to look at my own, and now I'm wondering if I'm going to get skinned.

My generous side hopes not many people suffer from increased taxes. My snarky side hopes nearly everyone does. That will sink the GOP once and for all. The only thing that will certainly penetrate the background noise surrounding a TRUMPet is the sound of money falling out of his pocket.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:44 pm

Unfortunately, I fear that many are consumed with idol worship and won't feel the pickpocket, even when he uses a blunt instrument of extraction. And beyond that, they will deny the loss – gotta keep up appearances.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:48 pm

..and who cares if I lost my nose as long as them damn libs are hurting, too!

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 am

So, Trump brings along the family of a murder victim and pronounces the suspect guilty (thereby assuring that, if he is convicted, his appeal of the conviction will succeed). That's bad enough. But it would have been SOO much easier to find the family of a victim in a mass shooting. I wonder why he didn't do that? I believe Pelosi did.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:29 am

TJrandom wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:44 pm
Unfortunately, I fear that many are consumed with idol worship and won't feel the pickpocket, even when he uses a blunt instrument of extraction. And beyond that, they will deny the loss – gotta keep up appearances.
And, the way these new laws were carved, so as to inflict the most pain on blue states, those in red states may really get a small decrease in taxes this year.

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:21 pm

The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:47 pm

:hmm: Among many other things, he needs a better poet. :roll:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:50 pm

Thats what white people call rap.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:44 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:47 pm
:hmm: Among many other things, he needs a better poet. :roll:
Yes, Stephen Miller sucks at poetry: Google search
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:07 pm

Trump's problem is that he thinks most of the world is like him, out to benefit himself by hook or by crook. Unfortunately for him it's about 2/3 of the population against him who have a more highly evolved sense of how the world should work more altruistically. The 1/3 who support him are those who share his selfish attitudes, and the religious right who are so polarized against Democrats that they are willing to forgive Trump's every sin.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:17 pm

Gord wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:44 pm
Yes, Stephen Miller sucks at poetry: Google search
Miller strikes me as a near double for Gobbles, who was also a poor poet.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:24 pm

landrew wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:21 pm
Does the phrase "self-serving rhetoric" come to mind? How many years of Ken Starr investigating Bill Clinton were there?

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:47 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Does the phrase "self-serving rhetoric" come to mind? How many years of Ken Starr investigating Bill Clinton were there?
Robert Mueller is a lot smarter than Ken Starr. He isn't casting an "infinite net" the way Ken Starr tried to do, and failed. Mueller has a firm plan for closure and completion, and he has a much better chance to succeed. Trump may or may not end up in prison, but a good many of his friends, family and business associates are already on their way there.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:59 pm

Robert Mueller is a lot smarter than Ken Starr. /// Source?

He isn't casting an "infinite net" the way Ken Starr tried to do, /// KS succeeded in doing just that.

and failed. /// No, he got Clinton tied up for years and impeached. He did not function as the Senate.

Mueller has a firm plan for closure and completion, and he has a much better chance to succeed. //// Sure looks that way.

Trump may or may not end up in prison, /// Never. Worst case: a pardon.

but a good many of his friends, family and business associates are already on their way there. /// Pluse those that are ALREADY there. I assume "family" would get pardoned too.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:41 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:59 pm
... I assume "family" would get pardoned too.
Perhaps. But would it apply SDNY convictions? (I'm speaking code. Rump doesn't know what 'SDNY' is. :-P)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:57 am

Well then..............code it is: of course, family is an automatic Pardon when Pardons are given. Its what makes America Great.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:51 pm

To those who thought Trump said nothing about Parkland in SOTU because it would interfere with his narrative about the danger from immigrants, shame on you. Here's the true story, straight from the horse's mouth, as anyone will recognize by the inimitable rhetorical style:
Tribune News Service wrote:"My message is that we have, you know, we've done a report with the school... the report was very, very strong... a lot of very good conclusions and things to do, and we did it specifically with the school... and it was well received," Trump said. "We are working and we're working based on the report that we finished about three weeks ago."

The president was referring to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission's report that was released in December, a document that was drafted by state and local officials along with the parents of victims.

"I could've put it in, I would've put it in, I've been very involved in it," Trump said…
And Matt Gaetz (R-FL) (Make that ROFL!) is furious that the chairman of his committee wouldn't throw out a grieving father of a Parkland victim. The chair, I think, could at least foresee the visuals of this poor man being frog-marched out of the room. Gaetz thinks he shouldn't be interrupted, that is, that he has a privilege Obama didn't have as President. He proclaims that the gun-control measures that are wanted wouldn't help at all, but what would help is a WALL on the southern border. I don't think he's really that crazy. I think he wants something from Trump.

Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi has shrewdly given herself an out by proclaiming in advance that she'll support whatever compromise the joint committee on the WALL comes up with. She won't be accused of caving. And if it's not enough for Trump, he'll have to take the consequences of whatever drastic action he undertakes. She is ten times as smart as he is, politically.

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:42 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:51 pm

Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi has shrewdly given herself an out by proclaiming in advance that she'll support whatever compromise the joint committee on the WALL comes up with. She won't be accused of caving. And if it's not enough for Trump, he'll have to take the consequences of whatever drastic action he undertakes. She is ten times as smart as he is, politically.
Don't mistake Trump's petulant selfish and corrosive behavior for some sort of political "smarts." I think "ten times as smart" may be an understatement.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:49 pm

It must be the contrarian in me but I don't see Pelosi as all that smart. Not stupid. NOT INSANE. but not all that gifted either. She stalls when speaking unprepared in hallway ambushes. Is she 10x smarter than Trump politically? Oh yes........that is an understatement.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:34 pm

#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:03 pm

C'mon, let's get this thread over 700 pages before we let it die.

I'm glad the Democrats backed down on the issue of beds. WaPo had a very clear and reasonable explanation of their position today, but it's way too late to explain that to the public before Friday. Discretion is the better part of valor here. Live to fight another day on this issue. Let's keep it clear and not get blamed for shutting down the government. If Trump doesn't like the deal he's offered (and his primary source of a mind, Sean Hannity, has proclaimed himself not satisfied), let him take the guff once again. His base will slowly erode if he vetoes this bill. I just hope the young radical Democrats in the House don't trash it. Nancy Pelosi is going to have to lean on some of them, very hard.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:42 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:43 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:00 pm

LOl, yes, absolutely.
I think we all have Trump fatigue.
A sober appraisal would put Himmler himself in the racially average band, or to some extent even below it: his face was round rather than oval, his nose more broad than slim, his normal bearing more ‘sagging’ than erect...
Longerich: Himmler

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?
:lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31585&p=713843#p713843