It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:27 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:29 am
Thinking twice about it, cancelling the trip doesn't expose anyone to to anything.......except Trump to ridicule and scorn.
Except that now, terrorists know to be on the alert for bipartisan groups of representatives traveling across the Atlantic. It's a low level of danger, but still higher than it would have been before Trump leapt in with hob-nailed boots. Such a group would be a very high-value target, and a suicide attack is a distinct possibility.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Trump committed Obstruction of Justice

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Pelosi can't use a Government aircraft during Shutdown -

but Melania can : she used Airforce One to fly to West Palm.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:11 pm

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ja ... estigation

Trump told Cohen to lie to Congress about the Trump Tower Moscow project.
This is a crime and Obstruction of Justice.
And Mueller has known about it for a while.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:11 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:11 pm
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ja ... estigation

Trump told Cohen to lie to Congress about the Trump Tower Moscow project.
This is a crime and Obstruction of Justice.
And Mueller has known about it for a while.
I doubt that Trump will worry about this. He'll think it's just his word against Cohen's, and he insists that Cohen is a liar. Of course, if Cohen has tape recordings or e-mails.....
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: Trump committed Obstruction of Justice

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:41 pm

:hmm: I think it was said they have the necessary email/text trail and even testimonie(s)?

ElectricMonk wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Are ya sure it was her and not her golfing hubby who was on that military plane? :-P
Lard, save me from your followers.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Trump committed Obstruction of Justice

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:04 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:41 pm
:hmm: I think it was said they have the necessary email/text trail and even testimonie(s)?

ElectricMonk wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Are ya sure it was her and not her golfing hubby who was on that military plane? :-P
All I know for sure is it wasn't me! Honest!
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:14 am

Apparently, it also wasn't Mueller:

"BuzzFeed's description of specific statements to the Special Counsel's Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen's Congressional testimony are not accurate."

Doesn't mean they got nuthin', tho. :heh:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:21 am

Stundie worthy? - Speaker Pelosi's secret travel itinerary and the (FOX?) reporter who asks: "How do you know the leak came from the White House?"

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:33 am

Re the possibility of running against the orange monster - if only to "siphon votes" - John Kasich tells Bill Maher he wouldn't run against someone to simply to hurt him (or her).

OK. But then shut up about your crusade for change.

(And about your very own brilliant idea - which no one mentioned or even thought of yet! - that change comes from the bottom up. Missed the last midterms, didn'tcha? :roll:)

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:14 am
Apparently, it also wasn't Mueller:

"BuzzFeed's description of specific statements to the Special Counsel's Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen's Congressional testimony are not accurate."

Doesn't mean they got nuthin', tho. :heh:
Well, we didn't think BuzzFeed was giving a literal quote of what Cohen said. What he actually said remains to be seen. It may well be that the gist of it is true.

In other news, the Democrats are offering warmed-over funding for border security, including "enhanced infrastructure" at certain points. Don't think we don't know the political term for a Wall, Pelosi!

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:38 pm

But if it works (bar McTurtle objecting again), they'll be the hero. For millions. (No matter how the culprit will be twisting it...)

And I hope it will be made very public how much of his cried-for funds again won't be even touched. As with the previously allotted batch. (What exactly is he doing, or hopes to be doing, with the monies he asks for - but then doesn't spend on the oh-so urgent issue?)

Edit: added link
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:45 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:38 pm
But if it works, they'll be the hero. For millions. (No matter how the culprit will be twisting it...)
I don't know Eggs. In the short term....yes. But giving into an extortionist is never good. So we have a battle of the hurts, of two bad choices. If I were Pelosi I would not give on the issue even by way of clever wording.........unless.....the funding deal reached went past Trumps time left in office ((I don't know if gubment funding can go more than one year?)). I wouldn't give that RatBag another bite of this apple.

And as to the gubment workers: with their steady relatively "safe" jobs....if they are living from paycheck to paycheck, they kinda deserve this learning lesson. This is N/A to all the truly minimum wage contract hires and what not that are living check to check. There should be other support programs for the working poor. Other programs: not submitting to the extortions of a Presnedent that should have been impeached on day one.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm hoping the "enhanced infrastructure" actually is sorely needed scanning (and/or similar) facilities/technology at border crossings.

And haven't you heard, "paycheck to paycheck" is the new middle class? :(

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:05 pm

Its all definitional, but my take is that the new middle class is the old "lower middle class" from when I was a kiddie. But my point remains that even if the incomes are "the same" that gubment workers of any income level should have a built up savings. aka: I don't feel all that sorry for them as their gubment job is half welfare to begin with ...................... because..............in common practice they are not subject to at will termination as the rest of their income level is.

No body (In America) should beg for the basics: food, clothing, shelter, education, healthcare.........those heartwrenching stories of need spring from other social ills than gubment shutdown.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:45 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:38 pm
But if it works (bar McTurtle objecting again), they'll be the hero. For millions. (No matter how the culprit will be twisting it...)

And I hope it will be made very public how much of his cried-for funds again won't be even touched. As with the previously allotted batch. (What exactly is he doing, or hopes to be doing, with the monies he asks for - but then doesn't spend on the oh-so urgent issue?)

Edit: added link
And now we've seen his brilliant negotiating strategy. He'll EXTEND protection for the Dreamers for three more years in return for the funding. He's still determined to kick them out of the country. No way that can be acceptable. And, dammit, Demos, get out the message that he already has some money and hasn't used it. I didn't know this until my wife mentioned it this morning.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:59 pm

...and that the greatest negotiator of all history gave away 25 billion in the first round...

But he must enjoy the mess he created immensely. Probably virtually being patted on the rug by Vladie often. What"s next - privatizing many of the currently hampered services?

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:02 am

Three years is a funny number: it basically says: Dems, if you think you can take the WH and Senate in 2020, why not go for it?
It also sets up Trump's re-election campaign.

Still, while it doesn't seem like much for Dems, it is a lot for Trump and the MAGA mob. Pelosi should take into consideration how much of a concession this feels like to Republicans and some moderates - public perception on who needs to cave now might very well shift to her.

Jeffk 1970
True Skeptic

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:34 am

ElectricMonk wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:02 am
Three years is a funny number: it basically says: Dems, if you think you can take the WH and Senate in 2020, why not go for it?
It also sets up Trump's re-election campaign.

Still, while it doesn't seem like much for Dems, it is a lot for Trump and the MAGA mob. Pelosi should take into consideration how much of a concession this feels like to Republicans and some moderates - public perception on who needs to cave now might very well shift to her.
That’s my thinking. I think this was a good play for the Donald, give the Democrats some of the things they want.
Also, Donald Trump is a clownfraud who only got involved in this for the attention.

Deadspin, 2014:
https://deadspin.com/there-are-just-two ... 1613879544

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 am

Just like with his nominations, I sometimes wonder who is convincing him of some of the things he then performs.

Oh, wait. Wasn't that usually the last guy in the room or on the line...

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:07 pm

Rumor is, this compromise was written by Mitch McConnell, who plans to hold a vote on it tomorrow. (So much for "not wasting time" with bills that aren't viable. That lasted....let's see....all of three weeks, I think.) Pence is suggesting McConnell's bill could be amended in the floor debate. Pelosi is hanging tough, although I do think it was a strategic mistake for her to reject the proposal even before Trump made it. She could have waited a few hours.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:14 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:07 pm
Pelosi is hanging tough, although I do think it was a strategic mistake for her to reject the proposal even before Trump made it. She could have waited a few hours.
For the the voters - yes. I would have made it less likely that she will now get (part of) the blame for the continued shutdown.
But assuming that her audience was Trump Only, a swift and decisive rejection is the only way to get him to make a more meaningful proposal - otherwise, he will see it as weakening on her part, enough to make her cave in.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:18 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:14 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:07 pm
Pelosi is hanging tough, although I do think it was a strategic mistake for her to reject the proposal even before Trump made it. She could have waited a few hours.
For the the voters - yes. I would have made it less likely that she will now get (part of) the blame for the continued shutdown.
But assuming that her audience was Trump Only, a swift and decisive rejection is the only way to get him to make a more meaningful proposal - otherwise, he will see it as weakening on her part, enough to make her cave in.
And indeed for that audience, it was perfect. The son of a bitch has met his match, and he knows it, and it's killing him. He's flailing around desperately trying to find some way to spin all this in his favor. His "clean up San Francisco" remark is an indication of how desperate he is for something---ANYTHING---to hit Pelosi with.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:17 pm

The US government is shut down and somehow it doesn't seem like anarchy. I think you'd still get in trouble for building a porch on your house without someone's permission.

What portion of the government is left? Could it be The Deep State? (The Devil made me say that.)

Nah, it's local government that's left.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:28 pm

the US government is NOT shut down. Just the "non-essential services." Although....it would be worth a nice article about how Federal Workers can be ordered to go to work WHILE not being paid UNTIL funding is resumed. I see lots of issues with that.....but not much different from the LAW that says Federal workers ((is that true for all of them or just selected categories like Air Traffic Controllers?===and if they can't strike, and can't "not work"....something wrong about not getting paid. BHWHAHAHAHAHA: TAKE the wages out of "Wage Slave"...and what do you have?)) can't strike. maybe we should train prisoners to be ATC and essential services providers? You know: more than just fire fighters. hey....its been working so far.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Making people work for you for free is what made America great!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Ha, ha.....good one EM. I don't think we are allowed to joke about THAT either.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:43 pm

Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:38 pm
Ha, ha.....good one EM. I don't think we are allowed to joke about THAT either.
some things are too true to be funny.

Jeffk 1970
True Skeptic

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:52 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:35 pm
Making people work for you for free is what made America great!
It’s the Trumpian way!!!
Also, Donald Trump is a clownfraud who only got involved in this for the attention.

Deadspin, 2014:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:55 pm

I think it's written somewhere... involved servitude, or something like that...

(not to be confused with "acting presidential")

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Latest is, Trump is claiming he had a CONTRACT to deliver the SOTU message, and Pelosi is legally OBLIGATED to let him talk. Uh no, Donnie, even a court as benighted as the current SCOTUS that you and McConnell have corrupted recognizes the notion of separation of powers. Addressing Congress is a privilege granted by Congress and can be withdrawn by the Speaker of the House even faster than you withdraw from treaties negotiated by Obama.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:12 pm

He'll cook up (or let himself talk into) just about anything and hopes his fans will swallow it. And considering the imaginary Reality TV world they live in, those hopes haven't been heavily dented yet. Even if some just deliver the same falsity right back at him. The show must go on...

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:24 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:12 pm
He'll cook up (or let himself talk into) just about anything and hopes his fans will swallow it. And considering the imaginary Reality TV world they live in, those hopes haven't been heavily dented yet. Even if some just deliver the same falsity right back at him. The show must go on...
The desperation that cries out in his "Clean up San Francisco!" tweet is clear to all and sundry. He is LOSING it. As a put-down, that would embarrass a 13-year-old playground bully.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 pm

I assume that contract to deliver the SOTU is attached to his tax returns? You know: additional income.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:53 am

He must be shaken by the good news that even Pelosi is more popular in Georgia (!) than he is. :lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:58 am

Georgia? Georgia has Atlanta. Not all that redneck anymore. I thought the competition for dumbest voters in the nation was between North Carolina and Mississippi?..........that leaves out a bunch of near empty states out West....but they don't count for much, even including being dumb.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:47 am

Mr Kemp most likely also helped with the Fed up business. :-P

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:48 am

Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 pm
I assume that contract to deliver the SOTU is attached to his tax returns? You know: additional income.
Don't I wish!? You'd think a man who has stiffed so many creditors in his lifetime would have a minimal understanding of contract law.

WARNING: I don't know the first thing about contract law. But here goes, anyway...

As I understand it, a contract is not enforceable unless there has been some exchange of "consideration." Usually, that means some payment of money. So, what "consideration" did Trump give to Pelosi that would make her offer of an audience binding? (Did the offer even come from her? I assume so, but the Constitution requires that the President give a report to Congress every year. It's just that every President from Jefferson to Theodore Roosevelt did so by sending a letter to be read by a clerk. Well, that was all before there were radios and television cameras to give the President free publicity.) In any case, this invitation and the unvitation that followed are not contracts in the legal sense. You have to be pretty dumb to believe that they are....Oh, wait....

But, in the event of a breach of any contract, I'm pretty sure damages are limited to monetary payments. You can't actually force a person to live up to a contract. All you can do is fine him for not doing so.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:16 pm

My near-daily google search for "Is Trump in jail yet?" has turned up this article from December 26th (thank you google for being so up-to-date on this shite): https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/kzv9 ... ing-about-
trump-possibly-going-to-prison
...An inmate who called himself "Po Boy," a native of Chicago doing time on a parole violation who like several others in this article requested his real name be withheld for fear of retribution, argued Trump carries himself like a mob boss. In that sense, the inmate suggested, Trump was probably safe, even if he shouldn't be.

“He went out and got himself a real mob lawyer in [Rudy] Giuliani," Po' Boy told VICE. "If he don't go to jail for all the crimes, and I mean all the crimes he's committed, then no one should ever say we have equal justice in this country. Let's keep it real: Trump’s worse than any dope dealer or white-collar criminal in here. He makes Bernie Madoff look like a saint. As a black man who was proud to have Obama as president and sick to see how Fox News treated him, I now watch how Fox treats Trump—a real criminal—and it makes me sick.”...

...“The odds of our current president ever going to prison are slim to none," Robert Lustyik, a former FBI agent serving 15 years for corruption, told VICE in an email. “People don't realize that he’s protected from any indictment while sitting in office. He can only be charged after leaving the Oval Office, thus insuring the integrity of the institution of the presidency worldwide. If he’s re-elected, that window probably closes. Therefore both sides can argue, make allegations, point fingers and gossip all they want. The simple truth is that a second term almost guarantees Trump stays a free man.”...
Convicts talking about the conman in chief.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Which brings up the interesting question of whether or not Trump stands a chance of a second term. My impression from this side of the Atlantic is 'not a cat in Hell's chance'. But I may be way off.

Jeffk 1970
True Skeptic

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:45 pm

Poodle wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:23 pm
Which brings up the interesting question of whether or not Trump stands a chance of a second term. My impression from this side of the Atlantic is 'not a cat in Hell's chance'. But I may be way off.
He somehow got a first term so anything is possible.

The issue is how the US elects presidents. If he captures the right states it doesn’t matter if he loses the popular vote. Right now the fate of the presidency rests in essentially a few states because it is a guarantee that Trump will win a large number of states with rural populations. Those populations vote Republican now, which is ironic considering they are voting against their own self-interests.

Deadspin, 2014: