It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:46 pm

The sorely needed justice reform bill - will he sign it? He's not going to like that "his" unemployment numbers would go up (unless they can join the other unvetted border patrol/DHS hires). And how will they fare during the Trump induced American Carnage?

At least housing shouldn't be a problem, since home values should go down due to his/their ignorant efforts...
Lard, save me from your followers.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:10 pm

And now he wants to strike out legally at SNL (seriously!!) as a purveyor of "Fake News". He basically wants to declare the First Amendment unconstitutional and do it without asking any courts about it. If he's thinking his troops will rally 'round that flagpole, he's going to be disappointed. He risks losing them through "indignation and victimization fatigue."
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Not so sure about that latter. It has been - and still is - the rallying cry of big little s like Rush, his crew at FOX and the chamomile Tea Party...

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:05 pm

And in other news, has anybody got any explanation for the Wall Street carnage going on these days? The DJIA reached 27,000 on the euphoria after the tax bill, but it seems to be in free fall these days, only 23,500 a few minutes ago. Due to the US/China tariff war? That's the only thing I can attribute it to. The US simply must be having a banner year in Christmas sales. How could it be otherwise, when every family got a $4,000 raise from Trump's tax bill? (Oh, wait....)
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Wait, what? Are you saying I prematurely bought that new car because my neighbors remodeled their kitchen? :|

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:33 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:05 pm
And in other news, has anybody got any explanation for the Wall Street carnage going on these days? The DJIA reached 27,000 on the euphoria after the tax bill, but it seems to be in free fall these days, only 23,500 a few minutes ago. Due to the US/China tariff war? That's the only thing I can attribute it to. The US simply must be having a banner year in Christmas sales. How could it be otherwise, when every family got a $4,000 raise from Trump's tax bill? (Oh, wait....)
it's been ten years since the big crash, and the next large correction is due: none of the fundamental issues of the house crash have been solved, the problem has just been shifted around.
The tax cut has let all players move around the Monopoly board one more time with a fresh cash infusion, but a Democrat-led House won't repeat that.
And of course, no one believes that Trump can handle a crisis, economically or otherwise, and his prospects of even his terms are diminishing with every successful conviction Mueller gets.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:30 am

On that Monopoly... One hopes Trump lands on jail...

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:02 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:30 am
On that Monopoly... One hopes Trump lands on jail...
Yes. My analysis is that Trump will say, "Oh well, what do you expect when the Democrats win control of the House?" And, he may be right. The greedy kleptocrats drove the DJIA from 17,000 to 27,000 on the anticipation and then the reality of a major corporate tax reduction. They had their party. And now they know the party's over. One trillion dollars in stock buy-backs this year, and even a nice piece of change for the executives at Sears.* Trump says the place was "mismanaged". Well, he'd know; he's the expert in bankruptcies caused by mismanagement. But, as the article in the link points out, his boy Steve Mnuchin was on the Board of Directors at Sears for a whole decade. Maybe THAT'S why Trump can be so sure there was mismanagement. At the very least, the court's ruling in the case of the Sears executives shows the extent to which the entire American political system (executive, legislative, and judicial) is single-mindedly devoted to protecting the interests of the wealthy sons of privilege.

Back to the stocks. The kleptocrats are cashing out on their speculation, leaving the losses to people like pension funds and 401(k) owners, who really have nowhere else to put their money. They can't take it out and put it in the bank. Meanwhile, the DJIA closed down 500 points yesterday. As Business Insider reports, it's very unusual for stocks not to have a good December. This one has two weeks to get into line. We'll see...

But there is some good news. At least some Republicans have now gotten worried about the deficit again and decided it really is important.

*Of COURSE there's no money for severance pay to the employees. You think Sears is made of money?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:35 pm

Deprive vets exposed to Agent Orange? That would include all of them by now...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:37 pm

And that doesn't even include the various ethics/criminal investigations involving his Cabinet members (current, currently leaving and past) and others connected to the GOP's Chosen One. Somebody should make a list of all the naughty ones...

https://www.wired.com/story/mueller-inv ... ete-guide/ (CNN video clip with the reporter who wrote that article.)

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:29 pm

The Best People . . .
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:55 pm

And now comes the news that the Trump Foundation is to be shut down. They've agreed to that. But it sounds like the New York AG is agreeing to give them a pass on all their illegal activities. That's not acceptable.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:55 pm
And now comes the news that the Trump Foundation is to be shut down. They've agreed to that. But it sounds like the New York AG is agreeing to give them a pass on all their illegal activities. That's not acceptable.
Supposedly, all the Foundation's money goes to charities of the AG's choosing - which is probably painful to Trump, no matter the amount.
And, of course, our President will most likely never be allowed to run another Charity ever again; he can only be in charge of insignificant things like the Armed Forces.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
This CNN article suggests that lawsuits will not go away on this...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Funds from the "Charity" diverted for campaign purposes... if true, wouldn't that add to the "fraudulent procurement of the presidency" one would think he might get charged with?

What worries me a bit are the reports of large numbers of what goes for normal amongst Reptilian Senators deciding not to seek reelection. If Trump mania continues, and those guys are from the Right states, and perceive all this as spiteful and wrongful persecution of their faux Golden Calf, it might mean Dems and Independents will have to deal with mostly Trump TeeVee aggrieved Tea Party victim fruitcakes on Capitol Hill in the future.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:49 pm

One wonders if the Trump Foundation might be permitted to donate to fund 'The Wall'.... and if so, why they haven't done so already.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:13 am

Because......"Twitter, Facebook and Google slowed the rate/increase of his followers" .... :| ..... :lol:

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:44 am

It does look as if the Trump family troubles are not over. The only thing, apparently, that saves them from an actual threat of prison is the statute of limitations.

Meanwhile, Judge Sullivan ripped Michael Flynn apart in front of everyone. Two things about this: (1) Judge Sullivan had only a vague, general assurance from Mueller that Flynn had cooperated; (2) Sullivan was appointed by Saint Ronald Reagan. I think the cooperation precludes any pardon from Trump. Lock. Him. UP!!!

I guess I've become a charter member of what Sean Hannity calls the Blame America First club. That's why this article fits right in with my preconceptions.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:27 pm

MSNBC is busy pushing the "17 Legal Actions aga Trump". Several of them aga family members as well. I do assume most of the family fraud IS STILL CONTINUING, with Statute of Limitations only running on the FRAUD that was widely known and reported on 5 years ago?==>eg The TRump foundation just taken down.

Each crime has its own rules but most of them also carry civil action potential with differing SOL's often tolled by lack of knowledge by the victims. And who doesn't believe most victims are ignorant???

Lame Stream Media has several rumors or made up BS that cases are or may be filed "under seal" which stops the SOL. Seems to me our Justice System is informing the LSM or vice versa?

Ha, ha.........talk about your POETIC JUSTICE (if rarely any other?). Trump = Peter Principle in Practice.

One for the Psychiatrist's Counch: Since Trump was only running to burnish his Brand.....why did he work so hard to win? Caught up in process forgetting the goal..................like a child. ....and the Karmic Wheel keeps on rolling.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 pm

Well, for goodness sake! You could knock me over with a feather. Trump is planning to declare victory over ISIS in Syria and withdraw US troops. I never thought I'd see the day when I could applaud anything at all that the man did. But if he did this, it would overjoy me doubly because of the fury it would evoke among the Congressional GOP and the evangelicals. (Will they stick with him, even in this? Or will they see him as the Antichrist whom they visualize as making a peace treaty with Israel, then breaking it? To be sure, they expect a 7-year peace treaty which the Antichrist will break after 42 months. But that shouldn't be a problem for those who confidently said the Antichrist would arise no more than 40 years after the founding of Israel....no, make that the millennium year 2000....no, sorry, I mean 70 years after the founding of Israel,...no, it's possible that a "generation" means a century....., uh, well LOOK, all we know is that "some standing here will not taste of death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." No, no, "standing here" doesn't mean standing here as Jesus was speaking; it means being alive at the foundation of Israel, so until all those people are dead---including, conveniently, we Exegetes of the Apocalypse---he's not overdue. OK, I hope that's clear!!)

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:35 pm

More cheery news for Trump to blame on the Fed and the Democrats. There was a (shudder!) rate hike today, and the DJIA closed at its lowest point for the year. Still have 12 days to make it up before 2019 is upon us.

Oh, and Rudy Giuliani, the man with the foot-shaped mouth, said earlier that "no one signed" the 2015 letter of intent between Trump and the Russians. But today, he clarified, "IF I said that, I was mistaken." IF?????? Is there some doubt, Rudy? He issued the clarification because CNN got hold of the letter, signed by Donald J. Trump.

And, finally, it appears Trump'll crumple on the shutdown he was so proud of owning. This has got to be another big blot in the copybook his followers have been keeping. The transparently false rationalization that Hickabee put forth ("We can find other sources of funding") is obviously sour grapes and face-saving nonsense.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:56 pm

On the withdrawal from Syria, of course this means the Russians have a clear field all to themselves. (And much good it may do them!) But it's now very very late for the GOP to be upset about that. They haven't been worried about any of Putin's machinations outside the occasional murder of a journalist. They certainly were not upset that Putin meddled in the US election. (I wasn't either, actually, but then I'm not upset about the Russians enlarging their sphere of influence. I don't see it as a threat to Israel, only as support for Iran, which Iran deserves, given Trump's perfidious withdrawal from the agreement we had with them.)

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:02 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:38 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
This CNN article suggests that lawsuits will not go away on this...
Yeah, I'm hearing that from MSNBC. The Trump people are claiming they were already disbanding when the government stepped in. In fact, they were already under heavy investigation when they tried their hail-mary play of shutting down, and the government stepped in only to be sure they didn't give ALL the money to Trump interests.

Again, let us not forget that the Trump Foundation was the ONLY "charity" Trump donated to on the one tax return that has been made public. Donald Trump, motto: My favorite charity is me. Even then, with his $150M of income that year, he gave only 4% of it, and that all to a "charity" that existed to make loans to him. Not to boast, but my wife and I, with income only 0.05% of his, gave a much higher percent to charity---REAL charities.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:04 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:27 pm
One for the Psychiatrist's Counch: Since Trump was only running to burnish his Brand.....why did he work so hard to win?
I kan ansr xat!

Putin told him to.

Wuts a 'counch'?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:06 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:49 pm
One wonders if the Trump Foundation might be permitted to donate to fund 'The Wall'.... and if so, why they haven't done so already.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 pm

If he still haz the Jebus crowd on iz side, the pastorz can eazily fund the entire wall by doing a special donation drive every sunday for a year.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:30 pm

:hmm: That wouldn't work. Unlike their "foreign charities" that usually "are funded by your generous gifts", it would become obvious really quick that they pocket the money themselves if it's an invisible project right in their own neighborhood.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:38 pm

I dont no about that. The temptation uv getting the Trump base so fired up that they rip their pockets out digging for dollarz woud be irrizistable. Hiz & Herz & herz (mistress) Gulfstreamz!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:42 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$*

Billy Unz & Billy Unz!

*i wuz gunu mak xat hyqj, but xerz no big font siz opsnz now! :shock:
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:46 pm

Hey! Wut the hell happened there? I had a hole string uv $ and all I see iz a big blank spase and 2 louzy $!

Must be the Illinois Dept uv Revenue garnished them for my egrejiously overdue taxez.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:17 pm

Sooo ... Trump needed more troops on the Southern battlefront, and decided to take them away from fighting ISIS? :roll:

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Here is the October 2015 Contract on offer agreement for the Trump Tower Moscow , signed by Trump (Trump Acquisitions LLC ) and Andrey Rozov ( IC Expert Investment Company)

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2018/images/12/1 ... ment.1.pdf

The most interesting part is the payment schedules at the end of the document. These are not large amounts of money or commissions. It offers a bit of insight into how Trump towers work elsewhere.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:20 am

That's why he owes and not owns billions - kinda like JO's missing hyqj funds. :-P

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:57 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 pm
Well, for goodness sake! You could knock me over with a feather. Trump is planning to declare victory over ISIS in Syria and withdraw US troops...
...however, that shiny object of defiance ain't gonna make the investigations, courts and failures go away...

ETA :lol: Lindsey Graham called it an "Obama-like move" - that should do it and make him drop the idea. :-P

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:57 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 am

JO 753 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 pm
If he still haz the Jebus crowd on iz side, the pastorz can eazily fund the entire wall by doing a special donation drive every sunday for a year.
Is anybody clocking the increasingly bizarre rationalizations Trump is spewing out every time he caves?

"We've defeated ISIS, and I'm going to withdraw troops from Syria." (Well, actually, ISIS isn't a government that you can defeat. It is enormously flexible and recruits new fighters constantly from all over the world. You're playing Whackamole, Donny.)

"Mexico is paying for the wall through the new NAFTA treaty." (First of all, NAFTA hasn't yet been legislatively approved by any of the three signatories. It's not doing anything at all yet. Second, this is like saying that the tariffs are bringing in revenue, and not mentioning that some of the revenue the government gets is being taken out of the pockets of American consumers and sent back to the country of origin through the higher prices charged for imported goods. If trade increases as a result, the extra wealth will go to American producers, whose taxes have been reduced. Not much of it will be government revenue, not nearly enough to make a dent in the deficit caused by the tax bill of 2018, and we DO have other, more pressing needs, for the money.)

"We have other sources of funding for the wall." (I assume you mean having the Army Corps of Engineers build it. I don't think the Joint Chiefs of Staff are going to like this. And I KNOW your rabid fans don't. Even Michelle Malkin (!!!), who is batshit insane, recognized that you caved on this one.
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:40 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:57 am
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 pm
Well, for goodness sake! You could knock me over with a feather. Trump is planning to declare victory over ISIS in Syria and withdraw US troops...
...however, that shiny object of defiance ain't gonna make the investigations, courts and failures go away...

ETA :lol: Lindsey Graham called it an "Obama-like move" - that should do it and make him drop the idea. :-P
And it appears that wiser heads than mine don't think this is a good idea. On reflection, I can see that the US presence may be keeping Netenyahu a bit calmer than he would otherwise be. If we pull out, he might be sufficiently alarmed to do something rash, such as attacking Syria or Iran.

Putin must really be overjoyed by this move. He now will have a completely free hand in Syria. His sphere of influence has expanded, and now Russia has to be taken seriously again as a major power. (The downside is that he will now be in a direct confrontation with Israel. It is not good news for the world when two nuclear-armed powers are facing each other across a narrow strip of land.) To sweeten the picture still more for Vlad the Impaler, Trump is removing the sanctions on his criminal friend Deripaska, so he can sell alumin(i)um to the US again.

Still, I continue to believe Trump is doing the morally right thing here. (By accident, of course; the man has no morals.) The US presence in Syria is only increasing the sufferings of the Syrian people, and that OUGHT to be the primary moral issue.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Whatever he did, he did it only for the all important ratings, hoping his approval numbers will go up...

He's been moping around the house, fretting and Twiterring for weeks now with hardly anything featured on his official agenda before his extended vacation - maybe they should take another look at that thing with the "way too busy with important stuff to be indicted" part of that DoJ recommendation?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Hmm, in addition to that announced Syrian move, the suddenly lifted sanctions on Russian oligarchs/companies also greatly benefit his Russian BBF. Is he expecting his eventual departure (removal?) and, therefore, inability of repaying services and favors?
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:24 pm

This means that Trump is more scared of Putin than Mueller.