It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:32 am

Oops! May have been a bad idea for Trump to rely on Manafort. Now he owes him a pardon, which, if my reasoning above is correct, he cannot legally issue, since Manafort was acting as his agent.

I'm only sorry it's too late in the week to hear Hickabee deny that there is anything new in the latest salvo from Mueller. True, it's heavily redacted, but enough straightforward examples of Manafort's mendacity are here to hang her up by her thumbs.

I begin to enjoy Hickabee's repeated refrain that "this is already known" (well....in the case of Cohen, EXCEPT for that 2015 conversation offering to support Trump and connect him with Putin), and anyway, these guys are all known liars, while Trump is famous for his truthfulness.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:12 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:45 pm
Y'all think Dershoshits will continue to show his ugly face on TV defending the Grabber-in-Chief after he has been identified as not only one of the lawyers who helped getting Epstein of the hook, but also is being accused by one of the victims as one of Epstein's repeat customers and having molested her much younger self multiple times before police started seriously investigating the case back then? Was it his idea to declare minor sex slaves "prostitutes"?
Oh yeah! I think Dershowitz is now sunk beneath shame. He won't follow the rats until the water reaches the upper deck.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:38 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:32 am
...Trump is famous for his truthfulness.
...and declaring all the right guys "good guys" and heaping scorn on those who work with ("his") law enforcement or play by the rules otherwise...
Lard, save me from your followers.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:14 pm

It is quite obvious to me that Trump doesn’t know the difference between collision and collusion and when he says there was no collusion, he is really mispronouncing collision. Of course there was no collision with Russia during his campaign – collusion, a different matter. Maybe when he is incarcerated he can take a reading class…
:oldman:

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Very tangential, but holy smokes, have you seen Ted Cruz's new beard?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/1 ... -good.html

He is almost unrecognizable.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:48 pm

I didn't know these things could even grow them.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:14 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:27 pm
Very tangential, but holy smokes, have you seen Ted Cruz's new beard?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/1 ... -good.html

He is almost unrecognizable.
Anything to cover his face is an improvement. He could've smeared dogshite on it and we'd have thought it looked great. I mean, just look at that thing -- it's sparse, patchy, ragged, and looks like he kissed a shaggy dog. On a normal person it would look meh.

Why does the reporter call it "filled-out"? Most teenagers can do about that well.

Look at the thing! It's scraggly as hell!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:14 am

Gotta admit, he looks alot better with it.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:41 am

Meanwhile, things may get ugly on the technological front, with the arrest of the Chinese CEO in Canada. MSNBC is calling this the beginning of a technological war between the US and China, and it is exactly the game we used to play at school called King of the Hill. Every country in the game is trying to become completely self-sufficient in every aspect of production.

Now, it seems to me that trade has been of mutual benefit to all countries, and has been instrumental in preventing real wars in the past. If Dum-dum in the White House has his way, it will once again become the war of each against all, and the consequences may be dire. At the very least, prices are going to go up. At the worst, there will be shooting wars to determine who gets access to the raw materials. Nice going, Donny! He's always said that trade wars are easy to win.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:56 pm

The CFO arrest has put every US citizen in China in peril.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:03 am

Oh snap! He officially kicks out the forever doomed Kelly - only to hear his chosen replacement (Pence's current chief of staff Ayers) has (more important) family business* to take care of and is "departing at the end of the year". Same time Kelly will be leaving. Which one will be all packed up and ready to dash first? :twisted:

(And will the forever hopeful Chris Cringe Christie get his forever dashed hopes up again? He's out spinning, tap dancing and defending mightily after the recent court filings...)

* Word also has it that some kind of Trumpian contract was involved. And rejected...

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:00 am

He could do worse if he were to pick Hillary... ;)

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:13 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:03 am
Oh snap! He officially kicks out the forever doomed Kelly - only to hear his chosen replacement (Pence's current chief of staff Ayers) has (more important) family business* to take care of and is "departing at the end of the year". Same time Kelly will be leaving. Which one will be all packed up and ready to dash first? :twisted:

(And will the forever hopeful Chris Cringe Christie get his forever dashed hopes up again? He's out spinning, tap dancing and defending mightily after the recent court filings...)

* Word also has it that some kind of Trumpian contract was involved. And rejected...
That karma is SUCH a bitch! Who would ever have guessed that subjecting your staff to daily humiliations, well known to them by experience and reported on by the press, could lead to difficulties in recruiting new staff?

Only the best people, only the best people...

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:32 pm

The Donald Undone, by David Stockman:
https://original.antiwar.com/David_Stoc ... he-empire/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:32 pm
Full of rubbish and blaming The Deep State for stuff Trump is doing against everyone's advice.
But I like the term "Warfare State".

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Post by OutOfBreath » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:00 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Sorry, I couldnt get past the initial premise that Trump had any intention of actually draining any swamp. You dont need "deep state" to explain why that hasnt happened. You only need to understand "He spouts {!#%@} all the time to please his "base" while doing basically nothing except giving tax cuts to rich guys like himself". THAT is the conspiracy, and not a very hidden one either.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:02 pm

Seems more and more people are accepting the idea that "running for president" was only a publicity stunt meant to improve his income and will probably be used as his excuse for dealings with Moscow during the campaign. (The 'dumb as a rock and lazy as hell' thrown at Tillerson was, as usual, pure projection.)

It'll also absolve him from any responsibility of actually having to do the job his base wanted him to do in the eyes of said base.

But cunningly using the Con might be looked on favorably only by donors and the three to five members of what's left of the former Republican party. The Republican Tea Party, otoh...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:12 pm

omg, I just realized that with the multifarious daily excitements, no one kept an eye on "You don't give me bribes donations - I won't listen to your concerns" Mulvaney. Anyone know what he's been up to in the recent months?
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:13 pm

Saying that Trump didn't want to be Prez just puts all the responsibility for what he has done on the GOP - which is fine with me.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:18 pm

It's been McTurtle all along. IIRC, someone in some tweet put it like "Limbaugh - Gingrich - McConnell - Trump"

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:32 pm

The question now seems to be… Who, if anyone on the Trump team – did not have contact with the Russians during the 2016 campaign? :roll:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:44 pm

McGahn. Who was in the loop but left out of touch so they could (honestly) parade as least one of them as "clean".
And Tiffany Trump.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:14 am

Tom Palven wrote:
What makes me sick at heart is the appalling waste. With a sane military budget, the US could undertake...oh, what's the use? It's not going to happen. What's far more likely is that if Trump ever gets smart enough to realize how much trouble he is in, he will declare a State of Emergency, and his Q-anon-indoctrinated followers will cheer, since that's what they've been hoping for all along.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:18 am

OutOfBreath wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:00 pm
Tom Palven wrote:
Sorry, I couldnt get past the initial premise that Trump had any intention of actually draining any swamp. You dont need "deep state" to explain why that hasnt happened. You only need to understand "He spouts {!#%@} all the time to please his "base" while doing basically nothing except giving tax cuts to rich guys like himself". THAT is the conspiracy, and not a very hidden one either.

Peace
Dan
Exactly. As I mentioned on the Brexit thread, I'm reading Kuttner's book "Can Democracy Survive Global Capitalism?". Kuttner makes the seemingly obvious point that, no matter how much people vote hopefully for an Obama or a Clinton or a Trump, thinking they'll get a populist, they end up getting Goldman-Sachs. That would not have been any different if Hillary Clinton had won in 2016.
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:26 am

Oh please, please, please, dear God, let the new chief of staff be Kellyanne Conway. We need a new chew toy.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:07 pm

Wow! You gotta watch the world stage every minute to keep up with the latest gut-tightening adventure. Russia is now sending bombers to Venezuela. Why?
AP wrote:U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo responded to Monday's arrival of a pair of Tu-160 nuclear-capable bombers in Venezuela by tweeting that "the Russian and Venezuelan people should see this for what it is: two corrupt governments squandering public funds, and squelching liberty and freedom while their people suffer."

Russian President Vladimir Putin's spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, dismissed Pompeo's comment as "undiplomatic" and "inappropriate." He told reporters Tuesday that such criticism sounds odd from a country "half of whose military budget would be enough to feed the whole of Africa."
And the US is even losing the Word War, to judge from that exchange. Pompeo's arrogance in presuming to tell the Russians and Venezuelans what they ought to think is on display for all to see. Better hope it doesn't come to a World War. Actually, Peskov might have mentioned the squelching of liberty and freedom in the US by a government whose corruption rivals his own. He let an opportunity go by.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Here’s a Russian report on the situation:
”Rambler” wrote: Political scientist and docent [assistant professor] at the Moscow State Institute for International Relations Kirill Koktysh, in an interview with News.ru, emphasized that Pompeo obviously had to say something because dispatching bombers to areas that the USA is accustomed to regarding as its “back yard” is a shocking manifestation for Washington, which probably “forced them to think carefully and reflect on certain things.”

“For that reason, Pompeo had to make a comment, to keep the American establishment from panicking. His statement was based on the same principle, that generals do not flee because a fleeing general elicits ridicule in peace time and panic in war time,” said Koktysh.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:41 pm

Just waiting for Trump to respond by sending a fleet to the Ukrane...

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:00 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:41 pm
Just waiting for Trump to respond by sending a fleet to the Ukrane...
Maybe that would finally force the release of all the kompromat that Putin has on Trump. Trump is a valuable asset, who is rapidly becoming a liability for Putin. I didn't realize the Stasi had a file on Putin until I started researching this story. I wonder what's in it. The Russians say they are planning to publish it, so it can't be anything that Putin is worried about.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:07 pm

The use of Trump for Putin is indeed interesting to contemplate, but I assume that the kompromat extends deeper into the GOP: one of the first rules of developing an asset is to use him to develop other assets.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:18 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:07 pm
The use of Trump for Putin is indeed interesting to contemplate, but I assume that the kompromat extends deeper into the GOP: one of the first rules of developing an asset is to use him to develop other assets.
Good point. I'm just beginning to realize how complicated this all is. For example, the abovementioned Peskov announced some time ago that Russia would be giving financial aid to Venezuela, and that drew the ire of a lot of Russians. One of them said, "We should give it up and get out, before we wind up eating tree bark." Another said, "When is the government of Russia going to provide aid to Russians?" The press is not as tightly controlled in Russia as one might imagine.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:04 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:07 pm
Considering their ties to the NRA and other Reptilians (Rohrabacher, Flynn and even Bolton just to mention a few), it's entirely possible their chosen one entered already friendly territory when he switched to the GOP. Russia's asserted "love for God and guns" is well regarded by them.

BTW, who assisted in changing the RNC platform in 2016? To me it seems unlikely that happened simply on Manafort's say-so?
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:13 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:04 pm

BTW, who assisted in changing the RNC platform in 2016? To me it seems unlikely that happened simply on Manafort's say-so?
I remember watching tv in the olden days and to me one of the more interesting segments was always the arguments about the "Party Platform" and whether or not the RNC could allow a nominee to be part of the party if he did not accept certain of its planks. Now days.....its hardly discussed at all. Where is "the back room" of the parties today?? That part of the Deep State seems quite powerless these days...…….guess its reverted more directly to the Big Money folks? Hooray for Citizens United. A good progressive would impeach every Supreme who voted for that Criminal Provision.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:51 am

I'm loving this:
WaPo wrote:The first rule of shutdown fights is never say you are for a shutdown. Voters invariably oppose this kind of stunt and see it as evidence of incompetence and unnecessary rancor by the governing party. In short, since Republicans control everything and are likely to be blamed for shuttering the government, the last thing President Trump wants to do is say he is for a shutdown. And that’s exactly what he said Tuesday, no doubt to the joy of Democrats who are trying to convince Americans the GOP is unfit to govern.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Yep - Nancy and Chuck tricked him into taking the blame for a future Shutdown, thereby making it impossible for him to actually do.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Yeah, for a second there he resented the label of a "Trump Shutdown", but then his love for his own name and his eagerness to slap it onto anything that can't move away fast enough took over. :lol:

And they even tried to not embarrass him by attempting to take the...um...discussion offline. They knew he can't handle reality without a "TV" after that word. Script or no script...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:49 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 pm
Yep - Nancy and Chuck tricked him into taking the blame for a future Shutdown, thereby making it impossible for him to actually do.
I don't see any "trick" at all which implies some kind of manipulation. Chuck and Nancy didn't even "provide a buffoon an opportunity." There is no way to discuss funding for a useless symbolic wall without Trump having the opportunity to only repeat what he had already said several times.

No tricks. No manipulation. Just our Buffoon in Chief on display.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:40 pm

I notist he perked up immediately wen Pelosi sed that. It seemed to me that he recognized it az a label.

Slapping a derogitory label on opponents and thingz he duznt like iz wun uv hiz favorit tactics. Make it simple & bold so the gulliblz can remember & repeat it eazily.

Did anybody debunk the stats he pretended to read off thoze cardz yet or are we past even bothering now?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Maybe not quite past even bothering, but it seems that a little fatigue has set in from the sheer amount of inaccuracies thrown around. It's difficult to counter the onslaught in real time and/or finding the time to get back to it cos some new outrage already took center stage...

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:14 pm

JO 753 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:40 pm
I notist he perked up immediately wen Pelosi sed that. It seemed to me that he recognized it az a label.

Slapping a derogitory label on opponents and thingz he duznt like iz wun uv hiz favorit tactics. Make it simple & bold so the gulliblz can remember & repeat it eazily.

Did anybody debunk the stats he pretended to read off thoze cardz yet or are we past even bothering now?
Couple of news media did call him out on the lies. But mostly, as you said, we're past caring.

On the other hand, I noticed right away that he attempted to speak FOR Nancy Pelosi, saying "she's not able to talk right now." That struck me as a crass example of sexism. DailyKos clocked him. He interrupted her 16 times in 10 minutes. He interrupted Schumer three times, but Schumer simply raised his voice and squelched him. Sexism lives in the Oval Office.

Best of all was the sight of Pence, sitting there, like an owl on a fence, as the Russians say. He looked like he'd much rather be in Timbuktu.