It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:30 am

Pouting, moping, punishing those who don't seem to appreciate his greatness and supremacy all over the map. Including trying to prevent to have military mail-in ballots counted. Is he afraid those men and women don't actually feel as loved by him as he so often and so loudly and so bigly claims he does?

And did it dawn on him that the whole world is now aware that his empty words mean nothing, never meant anything?
Lard, save me from your followers.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Dwayne de Schwamp

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:19 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:30 am
Pouting, moping, punishing those who don't seem to appreciate his greatness and supremacy all over the map. Including trying to prevent to have military mail-in ballots counted. Is he afraid those men and women don't actually feel as loved by him as he so often and so loudly and so bigly claims he does?

And did it dawn on him that the whole world is now aware that his empty words mean nothing, never meant anything?
:good: :good: :good: :good: :good:
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

― Frédéric Bastiat (1801–1850), French economist

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:23 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:03 pm
landrew wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:24 pm
I think most of the money goes to where the votes are.
Yes....the Two Votes from North Dakota must be tended to the same as the Two Votes from California...…….
Yes, and, as I admit, also the same as Senators Leahy and Sanders. But Vermont is an exception. Most of the blue vote is concentrated in a few large states, so it doesn't show up in the Senate. Against Vermont, with its tiny 600,000 population, you could put Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Mississippi, Alabama, and several other states, all of which are hugely underpopulated compared with California, New York, New Jersey, Illinois....
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:06 pm
Saw the new Muslim-American-Woman representing Detroit on the Tube this morning. As you may know: I'm "anti immigration" and especially any religious cult and x2 the Muslims. That being my bias...…….I can see voting for the woman. A "grass roots progressive"....and on point, going against several major tenants of her religion, AS PRACTICED, back in her home country. "Pros and Cons" to every choice we make.

Ha, ha...……..just see the mix.
You and I are basically in agreement on religious cults, including Islam, Christian Science, LDS, and others. But people from all these groups live here, and we've got to get along with them. Best to include them in the government and get them used to compromising. That's always difficult for ideologically committed people. So, by all means, let's rejoice that she won.

Bonus: She must scare the HELL out of the Christian fundamentalists. That's why I'm so encouraged that the voter-suppression didn't yield the results the GOP wanted this time. It's all slipping away from them, and they know it. This morning's news feed from USA Today reports on a fundy pastor in Missouri who warned his 10,500-member megachurch to "stay away from yoga," because it has "demonic roots." And I thought first, "What an idiot!" and I thought second, "Jesus {!#%@} Christ! There are 10,500 people in those boondocks hanging on this guy's every word and regarding him as an intellectual! And they are just ONE of the Protestant fundy sects. There have to be a lot of others, such as the Southern Baptists, the (Millerite) Church of Christ, the Worldwide Church of God..... We are screwed!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks Upton.....the Good Lady representing Detroit (she said it was the third poorest district in the USA) would be drawn and quartered almost anywhere in the Middle East for her liberal feminist Muslim beliefs.....unless she snapped back into line real fast...…...as any of us would.

There is no difference between a cult and the mainstream...…..just the number of people professing belief thereby bending the lines of light and gravity to their sway in our society/culture/way of thinking.

Understanding we are all just hooman, I look deep into myself to ferret out such similar baseless belief systems. I do come up dry......showing I do assume a lack of insight, BLIND to my faults. Your Analysis Would Vary? I do "believe" almost everything I post on this forum. Some of it more weakly than the rest. I may think it...…..but so what? :-)
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:59 am

...therefore so you am. :-P

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Oh I hate how this looks like Godwin's Law in action, but it's not, I assure you.
In the way that Hitler taught us to hate fascism, Trump is teaching us to hate divisive, tribal politics.

I know it doesn't look that way, but neither did it look like the tide was turning until a good part of the way through WWII. We saw a greater turnout in voters than was expected, and many of those were protest votes against Trump-style politics. It looks like something may be changing this time around; I refuse to be cynical about it.

Societies evolve, and it's times of trauma that form the turning points in that evolution. I know it sounds like pie in the sky, and laugh if you like, but someone has to be at least glancing up at the sky once in awhile.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Godwin himself said that, when it comes to Trump, it's perfectly appropriate to invoke Hitler, so no worries.

But you are right: US politics has usually been defined in opposition to something. I do hope that "Trump-tactics" will be considered as disqualifying in political discourse.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:20 pm

A day in the life of the REAL Donald Trump (Jesus Christ!! You go into somebody else's country, and you CAMPAIGN to get him voted out of office! This reminds me of 1967, when I was at the Expo in Montréal, and De Gaulle had just come to visit, giving a speech that ended "Vive le Québec libre!" Canadians were furious, and rightly so. They foolishly thought they were ALREADY free. De Gaulle was an egregious {!#%@}. Poor Macron: 26% approval, whereas he could be up to 44% if he would only kiss Trump's ass!)

But I wonder how Trump's fundy-Christian supporters will like this story:
MSNBC wrote: Trump himself did not tip his hand on any of the higher-ranking staff moves. But at a diya-lighting ceremony in the White House commemorating the Hindu festival Diwali, he announced the nomination of Neomi Rao, an administrator with the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, to fill the vacancy left in the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals by Brett Kavanaugh’s move to the Supreme Court.
Pair that with the pastor in Missouri, who yesterday warned his huge mega-church flock to beware of yoga, because it is demonic. Well, I suppose Trump can rely on these people being unable to put two facts together to get a conclusion...

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:24 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:15 pm
Godwin himself said that, when it comes to Trump, it's perfectly appropriate to invoke Hitler, so no worries.

But you are right: US politics has usually been defined in opposition to something. I do hope that "Trump-tactics" will be considered as disqualifying in political discourse.
Bertrand Russell remarked that there is also something like Gresham's Law in politics: The bad tends to drive out the good. I hope that's wrong. The pendulum does swing, and right now, Trump looks about as bad as he's ever looked. It may not appear so, but that's because the sense of smell is easily tired, and we no longer notice the stench as much as we formerly did.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 pm

My basic law of Politics is " only Nixon could go to China".

Policy will only stick if it is executed by the party less aligned with it. Otherwise they will get overturned at the first opportunity.
The ACA would have followed that rule (nearly has), if it wasn't for insane levels of partisanship by the GOP.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:34 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 pm
My basic law of Politics is " only Nixon could go to China".

Policy will only stick if it is executed by the party less aligned with it. Otherwise they will get overturned at the first opportunity.
The ACA would have followed that rule (nearly has), if it wasn't for insane levels of partisanship and racism by the GOP.
ftfy :(

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:42 pm

clarification appreciated.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Oooooo bama. If it wasn't for him and the rebranding of what, AFAIK, was their own brainchild (or to some extend), the ACA wouldn't have fared as badly as it did and does.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:29 pm

The Trump Triumph celebrated in France:

[ytube][/ytube]

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Whassup with Melania? Is she now giving orders to Trump? She went a bit beyond her pay grade, I would say, by demanding that Trump fire a White House official this week.

Also, how goes it with the planned vote in the Senate to protect the Mueller investigation? Even Lindsay Graham is supporting it, so I hear. Mitch McConnell had better not try to block it.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:42 pm

I hear Melanoma is the brain of the family.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:06 pm

The target of Melania"s ire is supposedly quite the female canine herself, prone to bossing everyone around.
Besides Kelly, possibly no one will shed a tear for her.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:44 pm

I thought Melania's job was jumping out of cakes.
trump is Putin's bitch

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 pm

Trump says America is respected again. He couldn't be more wrong:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 3f15ca7878

The country is practically a laughing stock.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:00 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:32 pm
Mitch McConnell had better not try to block it.
He did.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:02 am

landrew wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 pm
Trump says America is respected again. He couldn't be more wrong:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... 3f15ca7878

The country is practically a laughing stock.
I haven't noticed any difference in the way people think of the US. I mean, they've been laughing for years and that hasn't really increased much. What has increased, though, is how many people are laughing at Trump and other members of the government. Of course, many people think the people who voted for them are crazy, but they already expected most Americans to be...weird. :P
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:52 am

Gord wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:00 am
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:32 pm
Mitch McConnell had better not try to block it.
He did.
McConnel no longer bothers to hide his hypocrisy. He’s going to go down fighting and doesn’t care who he takes with him.
“I noticed this morning that a group of our Landsberg friends have been given their freedom this morning. These include...Schubert, Jost and Nosske. Schubert confessed to...supervising the execution of about 800 Jews...(referring to the order to clean up Simferopol)...Schubert managed to kill all the Jews (by Christmas 1941). Nosske was the one the other defendants called the biggest bloodhound....
Noel, Noel, what the hell.”
Benjamin Ferencz in a letter to Telford Taylor, December 1951

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:19 am

scrmbldggs wrote:

Quite a week, all in all. Let's see how the agenda turned out....

1. Insult the President of France. Check!

2. Skip the ceremony honoring the fallen soldiers of World War I. Check!

3. Offer a slight drizzle as an excuse. Claim your helicopter can't fly in it (lie). Claim it's too far to drive (lie). Check!

4. Refuse to ride 12 miles to Arlington for Veterans' Day ceremonies honoring fallen soldiers, AGAIN! Don't bother with any excuse this time. Check!

5. Scream about mail-in ballots in Florida, most of which come from soldiers away from home, WHO MOSTLY VOTE REPUBLICAN! Check!

6. Keep thousands of soldiers sent to the Mexican border as a campaign stunt away from their families this Thanksgiving. Check!

So, first disrespect the President of France. Then disrespect US soldiers over and over and OVER! What a week!

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Not to mention claiming the biggest election victory of all time, when it was actually a loss.
This stuff is getting really old.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:04 pm

landrew wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:18 pm
Not to mention claiming the biggest election victory of all time, when it was actually a loss.
This stuff is getting really old.
And, I realized after writing the post above yours, this is only Thursday. What may the rest of the week bring?

There's a report this morning that Trump tricked the Saudis into tanking the price of crude oil. They are not going to appreciate that if they ever figure it out. Meanwhile, it seems his envoy to Turkey was mainly charged with intimidating Erdogan about the Kashoggi case, threatening him with exposure of some of his own people if he doesn't keep his mouth shut. I hope he does an end run around that threat and leaks all the information to third parties who will publicize it.

DJIA just dropped below 25,000....

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:19 am
scrmbldggs wrote:

3. Offer a slight drizzle as an excuse. Claim your helicopter can't fly in it (lie). Claim it's too far to drive (lie). Check!

4. Refuse to ride 12 miles to Arlington for Veterans' Day ceremonies honoring fallen soldiers, AGAIN! Don't bother with any excuse this time. Check!

5. Scream about mail-in ballots in Florida, most of which come from soldiers away from home, WHO MOSTLY VOTE REPUBLICAN! Check!

6. Keep thousands of soldiers sent to the Mexican border as a campaign stunt away from their families this Thanksgiving. Check!

So, first disrespect the President of France. Then disrespect US soldiers over and over and OVER! What a week!
Yup, a man-boy, mostly boy, will do crazy stuff when he gets cut off by his wife. ;)

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:04 pm

A total witch hunt like no other in American history.
For a witch like no other in American history. :roll:

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:07 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:04 pm
A total witch hunt like no other in American history.
For a witch like no other in American history. :roll:
Amen. I see the DJIA has climbed up above 25,000 again. Ho hum. I'm still waiting for the deluge. Who knows what will be left of the US when it finally hits, but it is inevitable. I fear Trump may be the last American President. I just hope he doesn't wind up being the first American Emperor. That seems like a remote possibility right now; let's hope it continues to be remote.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:41 am

TJrandom wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:19 am
scrmbldggs wrote:

Yup, a man-boy, mostly boy, will do crazy stuff when he gets cut off by his wife. ;)
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:19 am

When you listen to the whole monologue and hear what Trump said about Antifa (Daily Caller interview):
These people, like the Antifa you’re talking about, the Antifa — they better hope that the opposition to Antifa decides not to mobilize. Because if they do, they’re much tougher. Much stronger. Potentially much more violent. And Antifa’s going to be in big trouble. But so far they haven’t done that, and that’s a good thing.

But they better hope that the other side doesn’t mobilize, you understand what I’m saying. Because if you look, the other side is the military, it’s the police, it’s a lot of very strong, a lot of very tough people. Tougher than them. And smarter than them. And they’re sitting back and watching and they’re getting angrier and angrier.

remember that^ next time some bad {!#%@} by a crazed supporter happens. :(

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Woot! CNN one, White House asininities zero. I do hope that democracy, freedom of the press, and the US constitution prevail as the case moves forward.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:29 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:40 pm
Woot! CNN one, White House asininities zero. I do hope that democracy, freedom of the press, and the US constitution prevail as the case moves forward.
[Trump] says "you have to practice decorum" at the White House.
...Sanders said in a statement that "...[t]here must be decorum at the White House."
So when are they leaving?
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Gord wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:29 pm
TJrandom wrote:
...Sanders said in a statement that "...[t]here must be decorum at the White House."
Once Decorum has been elected, there will be an inauguration. Then they leave.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 pm
Gord wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Probably not even then. Because...

..having done not much more than huddle with his lawyers lately (besides "executive time"), he claims he's answering Mueller's ("easy") written questions. But only those he wants to answer, because (paraphrased) if someone is out to get him, they will probably get him. Spoken like a guilty person. :lol:

Sadly, that also means he can't leave his unindictable lair.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:11 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 pm
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:46 pm
Gord wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Probably not even then. Because...

..having done not much more than huddle with his lawyers lately (besides "executive time"), he claims he's answering Mueller's ("easy") written questions. But only those he wants to answer, because (paraphrased) if someone is out to get him, they will probably get him. Spoken like a guilty person. :lol:

Sadly, that also means he can't leave his unindictable lair.
Is tarring, feathering, and running him out of town on a rail too passe?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:56 pm

:hmm: It shouldn't be for his goons - they'd love to do those kind of things. :roll:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:01 am

So today, the big boy wrote all the answers himself - not his lawyers. Until it doesn't work out...

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:28 am

Methinks he transcribed what his lawyers wrote.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:48 pm

TJrandom wrote:
That's, as said in I, Claudius "some justice." I doubt if Trump will try to challenge this. He's already got way too much on his plate at the moment. If he did challenge it, he'd probably prevail in the Supreme Court, on the grounds that abridging freedom of the press means using the government to restrain what can be printed (as Nixon tried to do with the Pentagon Papers) or imposing legal penalties for printing the news after it has appeared. Even in that instance, Trump's SCOTUS would probably declare that the rights guaranteed by the first ten amendments are not absolute* and can be abridged in the name of "homeland security". (They already have, in effect, made that declaration. Bye-bye, fourth amendment!)

*Except, of course, the second amendment, which must never under any circumstances admit any abridgement.