It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:34 pm

And so georgie admits to being a member of the foreign troll army. Darn shame he still hasn't grasped that he's pissing in the wind.
Lard, save me from your followers.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:43 pm

not my comments.....ya'll can't admit Trump is doing something great...he will go down as one of the greatest presidents ever--peace maker Obama never was.... and easily be re-elected...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Hardly anyone denies that an attempt is a good thing. However, not many are too hopeful about how he's going about it. Pull your head out from your nether regions and take a look at reality.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:45 pm

watch cnn, msnbc,cbs reporters on it...they still bad mouth it...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:19 pm

I was going to ask what you still hope to achieve here after more than three years of failure in serving your Kool-Aid, but it seems your level of comprehension just isn't up to the task.

Either that, or you are a willful troll.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:48 pm

♪Money money money money...money ♪, no matter how. Defense Contractors Cashing In On Immigrant Kids’ Detention

It all took some planning, tho.
Federal Contracting databases show MVM was awarded a contract worth up to $8 million over the next five years. The contract, kicked off in September 2017, calls for the company to provide assistance in emergency shelter operations for unaccompanied children and extends through September 2022.
Now for refugee kids ripped away from their heretofore - but no longer - legally asylum seeking parents.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Trump lashes out as Obama-era photos of immigrant children in steel ...

https://www.independent.co.uk › News › World › Americas

May 30, 2018 - Donald Trump has lashed out after old photos of immigrant children in steel cages that were taken while Barack Obama was in the White House ... “lost track of” almost 1,500 illegal-immigrant minors after they were released.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Sick, really...

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:06 pm

WTF? Trump now thinks he is the president of Mexico?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:09 pm

He means US residents...

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:47 am

scrmbldggs wrote:He means US residents...
Oh... the deplorables? Won`t he miss them come election deception time?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:33 am

gorgeous wrote:not my comments.....ya'll can't admit Trump is doing something great...he will go down as one of the greatest presidents ever--peace maker Obama never was.... and easily be re-elected...
Specifically what has Trump DONE, as opposed to take credit for, that wasn't to his own personal financial benefit?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Dwayne de Schwamp

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:45 am

gorgeous wrote:watch cnn, msnbc,cbs reporters on it...they still bad mouth it...
At the risk of feeding a troll: NO! They aren't "badmouthing" it. They are saying candidly and truthfully that there is no concrete evidence, up to now, that this is going to work. Here, if you can get past the paywall, is a good analysis. Like all these reporters you inaccurately report on, and like everyone else here who isn't fawning on Great Dictator, we're all prepared to give Trump credit if it actually works out. But so far, NOTHING substantive having to do with denuclearization has been done by Kim Jong-Un.

Meanwhile, the United States, under Kim's now-BFF Trump, has sunk to unbelievable depths of moral degradation, holding children hostage for political purposes. To that, the great Christian Jeff Sessions and Sarah Hickabee add blasphemy, citing a note of St. Paul, written to keep the tiny sect of Christians safe from the brutal Roman Empire, in justification of this abomination, thereby making the Trump Administration the new brutal empire.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

― Frédéric Bastiat (1801–1850), French economist

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:52 am

TJrandom wrote:WTF? Trump now thinks he is the president of Mexico?
Well, of course, he was speaking only hypothetically; it wasn't a real threat, just a "let's suppose" meant to illustrate a point. But diplomatically, it was a disastrous statement to make.

And will he EVER learn that it's rude to call people he knows only formally by their first names? The man is a spanner in the gear box of humanity and the greatest waste of oxygen the US has known since Huey Long.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:56 am

Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal gives Trump credit for tearing up the Iran agreement, since Iran was showing "imperial ambitions." (Nobody, according to the WSJ, has the right to imperial ambitions except that paragon of sanctity the United States. Everybody else who has such ambitions is a rogue state, but of course, America is exceptional.)

Typical of the Trump/GOP approach to the world. Iran has a hostile Sunni Afghanistan and Pakistan (the latter with nuclear weapons) to its east, and a hostile Sunni set of Gulf Arab States, plus Israel (with nuclear weapons) to its west. If I were an Iranian, I'd feel entitled to defend my country with nuclear weapons, and I'd sure as hell ally myself with my friend to the north, Russia, and my Shiite friends in Iraq.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Holy crap, the comments section. You have Trumpsters even in Japan??? :|
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:37 pm

Gord wrote:
Holy crap, the comments section. You have Trumpsters even in Japan??? :|
Yes, but only deplorable foreigners... hard to keep them out. Of course we could implement an ideology test at the customs and immigration gates - much like we did for Christians in the distant past. Just think - a MAGA hat would get a person deported, as would not saying `{!#%@} Trump` when asked - or we could just use a photo of Trump and observe who willingly stepped on it. ;)

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:17 pm

TJrandom wrote:Methinks that Trump got some good tips from his good buddy Kimmy - like how to set up concentration camps.
Camps that are now operational, keeping those five-year-old terrorist desperados seeking asylum from devastating the US.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Check out the graph in this story of washing machine prices. Interesting that when companies in America get sweetheart deals from the government, that's all fine. But when other countries try to help their own job-generating industries, that's NOT FAIR!!!

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Gleefully separating kids from their parents - the one law (that doesn't exist*) of the previous administration he wont touch and undo, eh.

* Apparently there's only a rule that children can't be arrested, therefore families cannot be detained. That's why they have to split them up. After making asylum seekers "illegals".

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Methinks that Trump got some good tips from his good buddy Kimmy - like how to set up concentration camps.
Camps that are now operational, keeping those five-year-old terrorist desperados seeking asylum from devastating the US.
In remote areas. Nonprofits are doing too nice a job, it seems. I guess that's why defense contractors are taking over...

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Trump is preventing nuke war...that's all ...saving millions of lives....his staff said he now wants an open meeting with Putin which they wouldn't allow before..........and from Howard Stern show---Alec Baldwin Says Melania Is a Fan of His Trump Impression on ‘SNL’---insiders say she loves it and laughs out loud..

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:54 pm

I see. You too are thrilled about the babies.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:10 pm

huh? you know if the parents don't commit crimes they won't be separated from their kids? when they go to prison they are separated...."the sins of the father are visited upon the children''...or mother...do drugs ..they get separated....abuse, neglect...they are separated...commercial here about babies left behind when parents are arrested...they are asking for more volunteers to assist the babies and kids in the shelters...

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:24 pm

here Charlie Sheen's kids are taken from him because of his drug use....they were given to their mother Mueller , then taken from her as she's a drug addict, and given to his ex-wife---Denise Richards--- who loves kids

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:13 pm

The reason Dumpy keeps jabbering about a "deep state" is that he knew of the deep animosity the New York FBI office held against his opponent (probably through Rudy).

And despite no one else mentioning any such thing, he also maintains Melanie didn't have a face lift/plastic surgery. :heh:

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:54 pm

It's Fathers' Day here in the US, and so far I've heard from two of my three children by phone. I expect I'll hear from the third at dinner time. To enjoy myself on a hot day in late spring, I went to one of my many favorite watering holes and had a couple of beers and a couple of slices of pizza while watching the World Cup. It was Brazil 1, Switzerland 0 when I left, but my son informed me during his phone call that it's now tied. Not that it matters to me. As a friend of mine says, "Soccer (that's what we call football) is the game of the future in America and always will be." What I really loved was the score of the Mexico/Germany match. The scenes from Mexico City warmed my heart, particularly raising in me the hope that Trump will have an apoplectic fit seeing so many happy Mexicans.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:03 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Gleefully separating kids from their parents - the one law (that doesn't exist*) of the previous administration he wont touch and undo, eh.

* Apparently there's only a rule that children can't be arrested, therefore families cannot be detained. That's why they have to split them up. After making asylum seekers "illegals".
And that's why the practice in the past has always been to charge the parents with a misdemeanor and deport the family together. Only a practiced monster of the caliber of Jeff Sessions or Donald Trump would think of doing what they are now doing. It isn't yet as bad as the Nazi harassment of the Jews, Gypsies, handicapped, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc., but it's only a small distance above that. And even the Nazis drew back from murdering the handicapped when Bishop von Galen protested. (If only he had protested the crimes against the other groups!) The mechanism of persecution, including the camps where journalists are not allowed to go, is already in place in the United States. And it may pay to remember that the Nazis really did their best for Zionism during the late 1930s, helping Jews to get to Israel (just to get them out of Germany, of course). That was brutal, even more brutal than what Trump is doing, but it still wasn't the Holocaust.

It wasn't until the war started, and Germany conquered a lot of territory containing millions of Jews that the strategy of simply murdering all the Jews was conceived. After that, it was all a matter of the most efficient technique of murder. Simply rounding up Jews (and others) and shooting them proved to be bad for the morale of the German soldiers, so the gas chambers were used instead. I don't think it can get that bad right now, at least against the Jews, because Ivanka Trump is Jewish. But if Trump vanishes, as he well might, Bannon, Miller and others may feel free to move against the Jews along with the Muslims, Mexicans, and all varieties of brown people.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:02 pm

It seems to me that the comparison to an arrested parent is wrong. When a parent is arrested, the kids are not taken off to a concentration camp – but instead stay with the other parent or a relative. In the rare case, the kids wind up in foster care – but never in a concentration camp. Trump is doing this as the nasty spiteful full-blown liar and psychopath that he is.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:03 pm

Everything is wrong about the whole thing. :(

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:39 pm

btw, dissolving Cambridge Analprobe's offspring is already working with the RNC...

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:10 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:btw, dissolving Cambridge Analprobe's offspring is already working with the RNC...
Expected that...

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:09 am

gorgeous wrote:Trump is preventing nuke war...that's all
Nope. The North Korean Punggye-ri nuclear test site had already collapsed in September 2017, preventing the test of nuclear weapons. North Korea simply blew up the entrances for journalists in May 2018 to pretend he was closing it down.
https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/hund ... 384f28f6ee

Pompeo has stated that there will be no lifting of sanctions and that North Korea has to denuclearize by 2020 in Trump's last year. Therefore, all that has happened is that North Korea has stalled any USA military threat until it can complete its new nuclear test site.

I don't think China is worried one way or the other, by the cancellation of USA & Korean war games. If anything the war games allow China to asses US and South Korean conventional weapon capabilities and look for weaknesses.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:18 am

TJrandom wrote:It seems to me that the comparison to an arrested parent is wrong. When a parent is arrested, the kids are not taken off to a concentration camp – but instead stay with the other parent or a relative. In the rare case, the kids wind up in foster care – but never in a concentration camp. Trump is doing this as the nasty spiteful full-blown liar and psychopath that he is.
The telling difference is these kiddies are not subject to adoption: they are in the USA at best in an "undocumented" status. I see this as a closer issue than the emotions involved. The whole point is to DISCOURAGE IMMIGRATION to the USA. Even the true asylum seekers bring with them all the issues of pure economic improvement migrants. So, its a problem. The asylum program was never conceived as providing an open gate to all the aggrieved people in the rest of the world....but thats the real issue presented.

Pros and Cons to all we do.....my own approach (not solution) would be to value common decency while the issues are massaged: keep the families together as their status is determined. Would this constitute a draw for more illegals to try to claim asylum status? Of course. Thats the burden of having common decency.

Heres part of the solution: rescind the asylum statute. Its a nice kind hearted provision that just doesn't work in the world we have today. Let Canada and Spain get swamped.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:15 am

If that'd be done, at least give stragglers some time and decency. In this, hardly anyone knew/knows about the current situation until they're in it. Reportedly, the trap thought of by Kelly last year and laid out now hinders/blocks asylum seekers from legal entry points and when they follow/funnel across elsewhere, they're apprehended, "cataloged", the kids detained and the parents send off to court where they will be convicted. And when they're not immediately arrested but return to retrieve their kid(s), those kids are usually gone (and the staff is not allowed to comfort them beyond words). Given a piece of paper with info, the parent now has to somehow contact HHS/ORR and give their information - that freshly coined illegal status - to ICE. To be either arrested, or deported.

And almost any Reptilian talking about the issues isn't. They talk about the usual unaccompanied minors and other things, not the current refugee situation that could easily be ended with one single phone call by the instigator.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 am

One of the most horrible films ever made remains: "Ship of Fools." Lots of analogies to the current swamp of asylum seekers mixed in with illegals we have now.

What is the MORAL obligation of any Nation to receive such people? In the most simple direct morality: to take them in and provide care. I wonder if there is even a need for analysis? there is some kind of stress going on if they risk their lives and future to leave their land of birth? I don't see the "sharp" distinction between asylum vs economic refugees. In this case, "morality" only arises if your life boat is full. The USA life boat is no where near full...so that fails too. In Realpolitik terms: there is no issue at all. Do said immigrants benefit the USA or not? I think not. So, reject them all.

Heres the rub: there are pros and cons to all we do.....everything is a mix of everything else. and mixed in with everything else is always: politicks.

For a start: I'd stop sending criminals back to their home countries. Lock them up here in the USA. We created them, we ought to warehouse them.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote: Can you explain this?
This is a pretty good analysis.
Here's another one: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front ... y-tariffs/
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:37 am

Gord wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote: Can you explain this?
This is a pretty good analysis.
Here's another one: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front ... y-tariffs/
Thanks for that link. I had said before that I didn't think there was any tariff on exports below the quota. Glad to see formal documentation that that is correct. And it's a bonus to see that Canada actually has a trade DEFICIT with the US in dairy products. Trump certainly knows how to create a smoke screen for his lies.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:44 am

TJrandom wrote:It seems to me that the comparison to an arrested parent is wrong. When a parent is arrested, the kids are not taken off to a concentration camp – but instead stay with the other parent or a relative. In the rare case, the kids wind up in foster care – but never in a concentration camp. Trump is doing this as the nasty spiteful full-blown liar and psychopath that he is.

Absolutely right. The attempt to equivocate between people who commit murder, rape, armed robbery, assault and battery, embezzlement, etc. with people who just come seeking to be normal citizens and pay their own way is yet again typical of this goddamned equivocating regime. Obama had the good sense to begin cleaning house with immigrants who actually had been convicted of a crime.

This hypocritical "Grand Old Party" used to warn us solemnly that those dirty Commies believed the ends justified the means. They've now gone far beyond that old bogeyman. They now embrace an inhuman end and believe any means are justified to attain it. At least the Communists were pursuing, however confusedly and erroneously, a better life for everyone. These guys are more like the Nazis. They want a good life only for their own kind, and they want all the others to be their slaves.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:59 am

Hmm, things appear to be heating up between Trump and China.
The Guardian wrote: An editorial in the People’s Daily on Saturday said the latest trade provocations allowed China “to see more clearly the face of the Trump administration, one that is rude, unreasonable, selfish and headstrong”. China’s official Xinhua news agency added: “The wise man builds bridges, the fool builds walls. With economic globalisation there are no secluded and isolated islands.”
So, we get the Wisdom of the East here confronting the Village Idiot of the West. A study in contrasts. But things are never quite as they seem. The Chinese editors go on to say that with Trump's now notorious volatility, it's possible that this will get settled by negotiation after all. They are probably relying on those elusive "grown-ups" in the White House to tie Trump in a chair and make him face the abyss that lies before him. That might have worked when he was first in the job and knew in his heart that he was incompetent. But now he seems to have convinced even his own fragile self that he's a negotiating genius. I doubt if he will listen to anyone at this point.