QUOTES about America and Americans

Where no two people are likely to agree.
User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Jeff D wrote:
"There is hardly a pioneer's hut which does not contain a few odd volumes of Shakespeare. I remember reading the feudal drama of Henry V for the first time in a log cabin."
How unlike the modern, illiterate American! How steep the descent into barbarism!
Jeff D wrote:But as someone else noted above on this thread, Americans are also very good at self-criticism . . .coming up with scathing criticisms of American excesses and wrongdoings....
Very good at self-criticism? Coming up with scathing criticisms of American excesses and wrongdoings? I don't think so! The reactions to my very modest observations on the American scene easily refute that claim!

American "self-criticism" is almost invariably superficial in the extreme. Every aspect of the American culture rebels at the prospect of enduring deep, fundamental criticism.

"Traditionally, the virtuous member of the middle class is encouraged to cultivate sincerity and its twin, hypocrisy. The sort of harsh truth-telling that one gets in Aristophanes, say, is not possible in a highly organized zoo like the United States, where the best cuts are flung to those who never question the zoo's management."
---Gore Vidal

.
Last edited by numan on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
rrichar911
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4853
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Texas, God's country USA

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by rrichar911 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:56 pm

xouper wrote:Now we see numan's real agenda in this thread. He just wanted another thread where he could bash Americans. He lost his audience in his first America bashing thread and like all trolls, needs the attention, so he started two more threads.
Of coarse. You are a wise man.
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
rrichar911
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4853
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Texas, God's country USA

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by rrichar911 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:03 pm

I have learned something to. The left picks hero's that died from their addiction to drugs. Frank however does diserve some credit, as he denounced them.
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:27 pm

numan the troll™ wrote:Very good at self-criticism? Coming up with scathing criticisms of American excesses and wrongdoings? I don't think so! The reactions to my very modest observations on the American scene easily refute that claim!

American "self-criticism" is almost invariably superficial in the extreme. Every aspect of the American culture rebels at the prospect of enduring deep, fundamental criticism.
More BS from numan the troll™.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:34 pm

Canada’s hypocrisy: George W. Bush permitted, George Galloway banned

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? ... &aid=12841" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
by Lech Biegalski

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything

On March 17, 2009, George W. Bush was allowed to enter Canada and give a speech to the business community in Calgary. His arrival was accepted by the Canadian government which completely ignored the Letter to the RCMP issued by the Lawyers Against the War organization.

On March 21, 2009, the BBC reported, “George Galloway, a British member of Parliament, has been banned from Canada on security grounds. /…/ British media reported the decision was due to his views on Afghanistan and the presence of Canadian troops there.”

. . . “This is a full frontal attack on free speech in Canada, and one that all supporters of civil liberties must challenge,” said James Clark from the Toronto Coalition to Stop the War.

“Kenney’s ban is an unprecedented move to censor someone whose views are critical of our own government’s foreign policy. . . .”
Thin skinned censorship of anti-government speech in Canada? Say it ain't so, numan.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:59 pm

'
I dedicate this quotation especially to you, Xouper.

"As soon as you get anywhere near the truth about anything with an American, he becomes a squid: blank ink begins to fill the atmosphere as he tries to disguise what he's up to, which is usually stealing your watch."
---Gore Vidal

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:31 pm

numan wrote:'
I dedicate this quotation especially to you, Xouper.

"As soon as you get anywhere near the truth about anything with an American, he becomes a squid: blank ink begins to fill the atmosphere as he tries to disguise what he's up to, which is usually stealing your watch."
---Gore Vidal

.
Thing is... and will always be... Gore Vidal IS himself an American.
Whether HE likes it or not, or YOU like it or not..
American.
Even his vernacular, the irreverant wit, no matter what American flaws it is directed at.

And...while I am entranced by the wit, and often agree with his pot shots at our culture, our American politicians and the easy way with which money talks out of both sides of the national mouth... STILL there is this:
When Gore now old, somewhat lame, and clearly unwell, decided on where to end his days, he moved from beautiful, civilized Italia NOT to Canada but to.... get this.... Southern California, specifically Los Angeles, the model for all things excessive, careless, debauched and unreliable in American life.
And apparently ... or so I've been told, he is on record as planning to be buried in a beautiful cemetery in yet another world symbol of American treachery and arrogance, Washington, D.C.

Howdya like THEM apples, by jingo!!

Possibly he moved for climate, probably for access to life prolonging medical care, but most probably because many animals including the human have been observed crawling back to the nest, the familiar, the comfortable.... in a word the roots that define who and what we are.
The impetus is IDENTITY.... it's why the adopted so often search and keep on searching for the birth mother.
America is Gore Vidal's birth mother... and genes are more than half if not all; there is no way to change that or what it means. ..
So it goes...
And while I love Canada... you really HAVE TO stop ending every declarative sentence with, "Eh..."
Questions,maybe.
Declaratives... out of the question.
Or having so many notices, bills, report cards, and menus in two languages as if you are suffering from some communal stutter.


NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
rrichar911
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4853
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Texas, God's country USA

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by rrichar911 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:56 pm

nmblum wrote:
numan wrote:'
I dedicate this quotation especially to you, Xouper.

"As soon as you get anywhere near the truth about anything with an American, he becomes a squid: blank ink begins to fill the atmosphere as he tries to disguise what he's up to, which is usually stealing your watch."
---Gore Vidal

.
Thing is... and will always be... Gore Vidal IS himself an American.
Whether HE likes it or not, or YOU like it or not..
American.
Even his vernacular, the irreverant wit, no matter what American flaws it is directed at.

And...while I am entranced by the wit, and often agree with his pot shots at our culture, our American politicians and the easy way with which money talks out of both sides of the national mouth... STILL there is this:
When Gore now old, somewhat lame, and clearly unwell, decided on where to end his days, he moved from beautiful, civilized Italia NOT to Canada but to.... get this.... Southern California, specifically Los Angeles, the model for all things excessive, careless, debauched and unreliable in American life.
And apparently ... or so I've been told, he is on record as planning to be buried in a beautiful cemetery in yet another world symbol of American treachery and arrogance, Washington, D.C.

Howdya like THEM apples, by jingo!!

Possibly he moved for climate, probably for access to life prolonging medical care, but most probably because many animals including the human have been observed crawling back to the nest, the familiar, the comfortable.... in a word the roots that define who and what we are.
The impetus is IDENTITY.... it's why the adopted so often search and keep on searching for the birth mother.
America is Gore Vidal's birth mother... and genes are more than half if not all; there is no way to change that or what it means. ..
So it goes...
And while I love Canada... you really HAVE TO stop ending every declarative sentence with, "Eh..."
Questions,maybe.
Declaratives... out of the question.
Or having so many notices, bills, report cards, and menus in two languages as if you are suffering from some communal stutter.


NMB

Wow, I am impressed. I had never thought of it before, but it is certainly true. Every American I have ever known tried to steel my watch. That ranks right up there with Einsteins theory of General Relativity as pure genius.

How do we solve this problem? I know, restrict capitalism so that only the ruling government elite can participate in it, and then all the pee ons will become honest.

Do I win the Nobel Prize in economics or what.
Last edited by rrichar911 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:58 pm

numan wrote:I dedicate this quotation especially to you, Xouper.
Hit a nerve, did I?
"As soon as you get anywhere near the truth about anything with an American, he becomes a squid: blank ink begins to fill the atmosphere as he tries to disguise what he's up to, which is usually stealing your watch."
---Gore Vidal
Sorry, I'm not a fan of Vidal. To me, his opinion is irrelevant. I would never vote for such a commie pinko wackjob.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:15 pm

rrichar911 wrote:I have learned something to. The left picks hero's that died from their addiction to drugs. Frank however does diserve some credit, as he denounced them.
Gee, maybe that's the problem: what you consider learning most people might consider just stuffing the head with straw.

But that aside, and not in any way to impugn your reputation for THE TRUTH (that you make up as you go along) .... no, no , not at all, who would ever want to suggest that under that arrogance of the
under- informed lies a REALLY unreliable reporter?
Certainly not I.

Ah, but still, one can't let you leave the premises without your being told that Frank Zappa, contrary to your fantasy, was not yet another "hero of the left" who died of a drug overdose.
(And is having a drug habit, where it DOES exist, really that much worse than the rigorous Tory's habit of soliciting the very sexual favors they have just sermonized against? And in disreputable men's rooms?
And even in the great manly and drowning in both beer and rectitude State of Texas? NO? I didn't think so.)

So, great purveyor of TRUTH!! WHERE and HOW, do you come up with this gratuitous malarkey ?

Frank Zappa died of inoperable prostate cancer... (which, as you must know, being trained in the sciences, is in no way connected with the use of drugs, legal or otherwise).
He died tragically young, but brilliantly creative until the end....
So add this to your list of leftist sins... as compared with the purity of soul of any Texas klansman klone:
Frank Zappa was in additon to being gracious, well spoken, always judicious, and generous, the epitome of FAMILY VALUES...

Yeah.. that's right.... and no one has ever suggested otherwise..
In contrast say to er... uh.. the well known inebriate, George W. Bush, who apparently before he belatedly found Jesus liked to stuff powder up his nose, but just didn't like admitting up to it... because preaching, even garbled preaching, seemed so much easier.

Frank Zappa (since you clearly know nothing at all about him) loved and cared for his family... and his truly remarkable and beautiful children returned not only his affection but his respoect...
They turned out to be sane, talented, creative and productive citizens... which are all terms that can hardly be applied to most of the Rigorous Right that makes an appearance in American public life.
Frank Zappa died, as a matter of record surrounded by his attentive and loving family....
We ... and I include you, as part of the family of man... should all be that lucky.

And of course,there IS the music...

LOL... you COULD say that "the left" appreciates creativity and the panache with which American artists, including Frank Zappa have enriched the landscape and our lives...
Know anyone in YOUR neck of the political woods that you can say that about?
No?
I didn't think so.

Norma Manna BLum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
rrichar911
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4853
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Texas, God's country USA

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by rrichar911 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:00 am

From reading this.
List of : dead artists - year - cause of death, posted by ...
Frank Zappa - 1993 - Prostate ... official cause of death is heart failure, due to mixture of narcotics and other drugs with alchohol. Essentially, it's a overdose.
rateyourmusic.com/board_message/message_​id_is_90273_and... - Cached
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0o ... =yfp-t-701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, I made a mistake. I assumed that the first line all applied to Frank Zappa, but it doesn't.

See how easy that is?

Are the sailors that served on the USS Abraham Lincoln, lying or telling the truth?

Your turn.
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
fromthehills
True Skeptic
Posts: 10902
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am
Location: Woostone

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by fromthehills » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:56 am

Richard, please source, or direct me to where you have sourced, testimonial accounts of U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln crew members of that day in question.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:19 am

'
xouper wrote: Sorry, I'm not a fan of Vidal. To me, his opinion is irrelevant. I would never vote for such a commie pinko wackjob.
That comment says a lot more about you than it does about Vidal.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:59 am

numan wrote:
xouper wrote:Sorry, I'm not a fan of Vidal. To me, his opinion is irrelevant. I would never vote for such a commie pinko wackjob.
That comment says a lot more about you than it does about Vidal.
Of course it does.

And Vidal's comment about Americans says more about Vidal than it does about Americans.

And likewise, your comments on this forum say more about you than they do about anyone else.

Thank you for bringing that up.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:11 am

rrichar911"]From reading this.
List of : dead artists - year - cause of death, posted by ...
Frank Zappa - 1993 - Prostate ... official cause of death is heart failure, due to mixture of narcotics and other drugs with alchohol. Essentially, it's a overdose.
rateyourmusic.com/board_message/message_​id_is_90273_and... - Cached
However, I made a mistake. I assumed that the first line all applied to Frank Zappa, but it doesn't.

See how easy that is?

Do you mean making what you call a mistake, rather than your being an inadequate, careless researcher whose references to things you claim to have studied or read are simply unreliable?
It's probably neither easy nor hard; it simply is what it is, the result of your desperation to see on a printed page what suits your preconceptions.
Are the sailors that served on the USS Abraham Lincoln, lying or telling the truth?

Your turn.
[/quote]
LOL... if you put the same persistence into rooting out some actual data and trying to apply it to your fantasies, you might be able to come up with something worth your while.
But hey, I don't mind responding yet again to the same pointless question.
Here is response t#11:
How would I know if they were telling the t ruth (any or all of them)?
How would YOU know?
And why would either of us care?
Why would anyone care?
A sailor, even an admiral, doesn't tell the President what to do.... they are underlings.

The men and women on that aircraft carrier were in the military in one capacity or another, and therefore they did not, by the nature of their employment make the defining decisions for what took place.
George W. Bush, was, at the time, not only the President of the United States, but Commander -in-Chief of ALL the US Military....
All he had to do would have been to say... "Take that cockamamie insulting, and completely inaccurate sign down... because I am going to tell the American people that I have {!#%@} up their history and their futures.
"This was is far from over...there is much death and destruction to come ."
But he didn't .
He voluntarily stood before that same ridiculous, inaccurate... excuse me,.....clearly lying sign, and read the clearly lying speech that he had brought with him to read.

So again, WHAT POSSIBLE DIFFERENCE could it make whether those poor underlings were lying or not?
Assuming of course, that anyone actually asked them.
THere is only YOUR word for that and you are... have you noticed?..... rather reliably unreliable.



Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:27 am

fromthehills wrote:Richard, please source, or direct me to where you have sourced, testimonial accounts of U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln crew members of that day in question.
Good luck to you in your present endeavor...
It is in the public record that after the fact, when the brouhaha over the clearly dishonest speech and the arrogance of the sign was heard around the world, it was reported that the sign was the brainchild of the crew (who and what crew remains murky) rather than that of the President or even his staff.
So what?
When George W Bush stood in front of that audience and those media cameras from all over the world, in his ridiculous flight suit, carrying his laughable helmet...he was not a recruit but , god help us all, the PRESIDENT...
And not just A president, but THE President... filling the most powerful public office in the world.

But he stood there, in front of that sign and read his arrogant, completely fallacious speech.... and if he blushed with even a hint of shame, the cameras didn't capture it.
If Jesus himself painted the sign himself and hung it up himself, it would still be irrelevant: Jesus is NOt the President of the United States, and wasn't on May 3, 2003.
George W. Bush was.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by Aztexan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:42 am

Where a President puts himself means a lot.
I remember how the world was going to end because Barack Obama stood without a flag pin. On his uniform. How he doesn't place his right hand above his heart during the national anthem. How one time a big deal was made because he was photographed sitting behind his desk in the Oval office with his feet propped up. His detractors interpreted it to mean he was relaxing and screwing off while there was work to be done and Americans were suffering. So yes, it is important where a President allows himself to be captured in and for the public eye. For Bush to allow himself, in this day and age, to be photographed and televised in front of that banner means he thought about it, weighed it, and in some fashion placed it so in his mind, it would mean as if whoever was looking at it and him, would believe he was actually saying it himself. Or at least, that was the message he was trying to send.
trump is Putin's bitch

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:28 am

ruben lopez wrote:Where a President puts himself means a lot.
I remember how the world was going to end because Barack Obama stood without a flag pin. On his uniform. How he doesn't place his right hand above his heart during the national anthem. How one time a big deal was made because he was photographed sitting behind his desk in the Oval office with his feet propped up. His detractors interpreted it to mean he was relaxing and screwing off while there was work to be done and Americans were suffering. So yes, it is important where a President allows himself to be captured in and for the public eye. For Bush to allow himself, in this day and age, to be photographed and televised in front of that banner means he thought about it, weighed it, and in some fashion placed it so in his mind, it would mean as if whoever was looking at it and him, would believe he was actually saying it himself. Or at least, that was the message he was trying to send.

Maybe... just maybe... and to give George W. the benefit of the doubt, maybe the thought (if one can use such a word in the same sentence as "Bush") crossed his mind that "hey, I wanted to destroy the reputation, the economy, the morale of my own country while I devastated Iraq, and maimed and killed uncounted numbers of its civilians... and boy Gum!! (that's an expression they use in Texas) I DID it!! And in record time!! MiISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!"

(Just typing that brought tears to my eyes!!)

And poor fella, at that heady moment, flushed with success, he just forgot to add that the war might not REALLY be over... that to REALLY bring America down, take the deficit to astronomical levels, encourage further economic breakdown while making the rich ever richer and the poor... well, just hopelessly poor...would take another decade at least....
And here we are, the decade is almost over ... and no end in sight, the body counts continue, and the haves are still having while the have-nots are still sending their children into the military, because its better than standing around on street corners with nothing to do except contemplate starvation.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by Aztexan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:18 am

I'm not gonna add Bush to my list that has Hitler, Pol Pot or other evil men on it just yet. Cheney, maybe, but not Bush. One thing I decided to do after his second term was up and he would be replaced no matter what was to leave him alone and give him his status as private citizen. No longer would I speak of his devious acts. He knows (I hope) what he did and, even though I bet he sleeps like a baby at night, he is still being told that what he did, he did for the country. For the people. That voice may belong to another person or other people or it could be inside his head. The important thing is, he is no longer in power. What's more important than that is that he has many like him who think they are doing what's best for the country and for its people who need to shut up, go away and join Bush in his civilianhood. He is so 2008. Mike Steele, bless his idiot heart, was saying that Obama now has his turn to {!#%@}. Not {!#%@} or get off the pot. {!#%@}. You wanted the pot, you got it. {!#%@}. What can you do? Can you stink up a room more than the last guy who just walked out? Truth is, you can't improve on the smell, you can only mask it for a while or make it worse.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
rrichar911
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4853
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Texas, God's country USA

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by rrichar911 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:25 pm

If the USS Abraham Lincoln's mission was not accomplished, why was it heading home?
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
rrichar911
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4853
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Texas, God's country USA

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by rrichar911 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Ruben lopez

Quote:
Cmdr. Conrad Chun, a Navy spokesman, "The banner was a Navy idea, the ship's idea. The idea popped up in one of the meetings aboard the ship preparing for its homecoming and thought it would be good to have a banner, 'Mission Accomplished.'



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Abraha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ln_(CVN-72)
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
rrichar911
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4853
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Texas, God's country USA

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by rrichar911 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:42 pm

nmblum has a world view which facts must fit into. If they don't they are ignored.

The sign was the idea of the people on the USS Lincoln, for the purpose of their home coming as their mission was over. When a ship comes back from a task like this, and lands in dock, relatives, brass, and a band are there to celebrate the occasion.

You went to war, your job is done, and you made it back home. Time to celebrate and give thanks that you returned home safely, "Mission Accomplished".

nmblum ignores this. The purpose of the event in her world view was so that Bush could spread propaganda and tell lies.

But did Bush lie? He said that "major combat opperations were over". This is evidenced by the fact that the USS Lincoln's job was over, and it was coming home. Saddam's army had been defeated and Saddam kicked off his throne.

Neither Bush or Cheney ever said this war was going to be over in a few weeks. They infact said just the opposite, that it would be a long effort. That it would probably outlast our generation.

Major combat operations , one army fighting another army were over. The fight against insurgents and terrorist then began, which constituted a new and different phase of the war.

The USS Abrahma Lincolns job had been accomplished. The sign was for that purpose, for their home comming, and was the idea of the people who served honorably on the ship. Calling them liars is dishonoring their service.
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
rrichar911
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4853
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Texas, God's country USA

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by rrichar911 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:07 pm

This war will continue for as long as people like Ack I'm a Jerk hold power and believe that Jews were created by Satan and should be exterminated.

He begins his speeches with a prayer to Allah, in which he states his desire for the 5th Iman to return. A child who according to their beliefs will return just after a period of unpresidented world wide destruction, to establish world wide Islamic rule.

He is praying for world wide war, in which billions of people will die.

Before the 5th Iman will return all Jews must die, as they are the creation of Satan, and Allah has with drawn from the world because they exist.

You see the source of the problem?


What would end this war would be for the world to stand together, arms locked in unity, declaring that people do have a right to exist, including Jews. That we are not going to become a world ruled by Islam, and if you persist you will be destroyed.

We had that chance, but instead of standing against such efforts, we fought among ourselves. That allows the nut jobs of the world to win.

Saddam was one of them. He was adopted by Mohamad Hussini's top General who fought along side Hitler and invaded Baghdad to set up a NAZI type government during WW2. He was raised and trained by people who fought by Hitler's side to rule the country, and continue the effort to exterminate Jews.

None of this matters to the Bush haters. They hate Bush and that is all they know. They don't even bother to become educated on what this war is about. Any and everything that does not fit neatly into their view of the world, is ignored, and that is why the war continues. For if the world stood as one in oppsition to the desires of radical Islam, it would be over very quickly. They could not fight the whole world.
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:35 pm

ruben lopez wrote:I'm not gonna add Bush to my list that has Hitler, Pol Pot or other evil men on it just yet. Cheney, maybe, but not Bush. One thing I decided to do after his second term was up and he would be replaced no matter what was to leave him alone and give him his status as private citizen. No longer would I speak of his devious acts. He knows (I hope) what he did and, even though I bet he sleeps like a baby at night, he is still being told that what he did, he did for the country. For the people. That voice may belong to another person or other people or it could be inside his head. The important thing is, he is no longer in power. What's more important than that is that he has many like him who think they are doing what's best for the country and for its people who need to shut up, go away and join Bush in his civilianhood. He is so 2008. Mike Steele, bless his idiot heart, was saying that Obama now has his turn to {!#%@}. Not {!#%@} or get off the pot. {!#%@}. You wanted the pot, you got it. {!#%@}. What can you do? Can you stink up a room more than the last guy who just walked out? Truth is, you can't improve on the smell, you can only mask it for a while or make it worse.

Just for the record.... I didn't compare Bush with any other tyrant, petty or on the grand scale.
Can there be any possible satisfaction in saying, "yeah, but he wasn't Caligula!!"
Not to me.
For those who do take comfort in such, more power to them...
All I know from history, and my own observations is that while things were far, far, far from perfect here before the serial election and tenure of Bush, there was a certain American optimism that prevailed.... that things were always to recover from the relapses, that they would get better.
And that doesn't even address the introduction, with relatively little protest, of all manner of surveillance on private citizens..
The tapping of phones may not be comparable to the rounding up of dissenters, but it certainly does not bode well for the perpetuation of democracy.
And once the barriers against ntrusion are weakened, laws as the recent one presumably against illegal immigrants are sure to follow.
We are now enshrouded in a pall of gloom, and if there is light at the end of the tunnel nothing I have seen on C-Span has made it visible to me.
Bush not only created the synthetic war against Iraq that brought our purpose and our national moral sense into question around the world, the resulting damage to our own environment, the decaying infrastructure, the chaotic educational environment, the results of the encouragement to regressive religious interference in civil matter, the political, social and economic hostilities that are everywhere around us, the lowering of the bar for excellence in almost everything that had given us our effulgence in the first place.... can ALL be laid at the feet of Bush... or if you like the Bush administration.
No need to make comparisons.....
EXCEPT... it can't be avoided: we are in certain significant ways increasingly akin to the Weimar Republic, where the theaters, cafes, restaurants, dance halls, and even the museums and concert halls were crowded and the wine flowed like water, protest art abounded from the Left, and beer hall oratory from the right...... while the garbage cans outside were being rifled for anything salable or EDIBLE.... and of course, the currency (of one had any) was increasingly, by the day, then the hour and the minutes... worthless.


NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8137
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:51 pm

rric har911 wrote:If the USS Abraham Lincoln's mission was not accomplished, why was it heading home?
LOL.... I don't know.
I'm not privy to the whys and wherefores of the deployment of military personnel, or transport.
Are you?
By the way, what WAS its mission?
( Hey...... maybe it was just in the Gulf to carry that memorable sign.)

But why ask me?
I don't even know that the war against Iraq had a mission, other than that Bush was determined it would come to pass.
We were in Afghanistan presumably to flush out and bring to justice the author of an actual attack to Americans on American soil..... one Osama Bin Ladin.
Who according to even Fox News is still eating his three squares a day and flapping around freely without... one imagines ... a care in the world.
Living, so to speak (after 8 years of laughing hard) under his own "Mission Accomplished, Hey, Hey" sign.

Norma Manna BLum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:26 pm

'

"The hold which Americans have on reality is very tenuous."
---Daniel Schorr, noted journalist, recently deceased: radio interview

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:28 pm

'
"The Americans, in their intercourse with strangers, appear impatient of the smallest censure and insatiable of praise."
---Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America, 1840

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:30 pm

Half of Canadians too ignorant to be Canadian
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_k ... n19333321/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:53 pm

'
U.S. STUDENTS FAIL CITIZENSHIP TEST

http://www.statepress.com/2010/03/04/u- ... nship-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...according to the Goldwater Institute, Arizona high school students were recorded at a failure rate far exceeding 96 percent.
It would appear that Americans are far more ignorant than Canadians. Surprise, surprise.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:20 pm

numan wrote: U.S. STUDENTS FAIL CITIZENSHIP TEST

http://www.statepress.com/2010/03/04/u- ... nship-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...according to the Goldwater Institute, Arizona high school students were recorded at a failure rate far exceeding 96 percent.
It would appear that Americans are far more ignorant than Canadians. Surprise, surprise.

.
Well would you look at that. Numan thinks Arizona is America.

They both start with the letter A, so maybe that explains numan's error.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:22 pm

By the way, I'm not surprised so many Arizona high school students failed the citizenship test. What does surprise me is how many Canadians also failed it. Apparently Canada isn't as smart as numan would have us believe.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:24 pm

Factoid: the United States has more honors students than Canada has students. So does China.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by Aztexan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:26 pm

I used to live next door to a family that originally came from Atlantis. Boy did they smell and their kids were stupid and get this, they couldn't swim. I know. They stayed up all hours of the night. I know this because I watched them. They would not learn our language and they had their own stupid customs that frankly were creepy. They actually lowered property values, according to some of the other neighbors. Their lawn was always unkempt as were they. Cars coming and going all the time. I know because I watched them. I had to lock my doors at night because you never knew. And worst of all, they never celebrated any holidays. That was the kicker right there. They never introduced themselves to us. I mean, what did we do? Sure some of the neighborhood kids thought it would be funny to burn a cross in their yard, but someone told them they wouldn't get it because they were around long before Jesus. So instead they turned on their waterhose and flooded their yard, as a warning. But they didn't have to be so hateful towards the whole neighborhood after that. They started to avoid everyone. They would always be looking out their windows because they were paranoid. I know because I watched them.
Then one day, they were gone. Our kids could play outside again. I could sleep with my doors unlocked. Then, 2 years after they moved away, I bet it was one of them who came back and ripped off my stereo. It had to be one of them. I know. I mean, who else could it be? All the other families on that block were American. And Americans just don't do that. Well, good riddance to them and anybody like them.
Their 22 year old daughter was hot, though.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:31 pm

'
xouper wrote:Factoid: the United States has more honors students than Canada has students. So does China.
And there are more middle-class people in India than there are in the United States.

Fact: there are more people in India than in the United States.

Knock, knock! Is there anyone up there in Xouper's brain?

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:48 pm

"Canadians have an inferiority complex. And deservedly so."
~~ W. Demby.

"Quebec is a province of whiners."
~~ M. Canuck

"They don't speak real French in Quebec."
~~ N. Sarkozy

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:49 pm

numan wrote:
xouper wrote:Factoid: the United States has more honors students than Canada has students. So does China.
And there are more middle-class people in India than there are in the United States.

Fact: there are more people in India than in the United States.

Knock, knock! Is there anyone up there in Xouper's brain?
I'm not surprised you did not comprehend the point of my observation.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:55 pm

'
xouper wrote: I'm not surprised you did not comprehend the point of my observation.
It must be because the point is so dull.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:59 pm

'
xouper wrote: "Quebec is a province of whiners."
~~ M. Canuck

"They don't speak real French in Quebec."
~~ N. Sarkozy
Uh-oh! Now you have done it, Xouper! You know so little about Canada that you have insulted Quebec on a public forum!

I must remember to send you a get-well card after you get out of the hospital.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:24 pm

:roll: :roll: [yawn]

You're losing your touch, numan.

User avatar
rrichar911
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4853
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Texas, God's country USA

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by rrichar911 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:25 pm

nmblum wrote:
rric har911 wrote:If the USS Abraham Lincoln's mission was not accomplished, why was it heading home?
LOL.... I don't know.
I'm not privy to the whys and wherefores of the deployment of military personnel, or transport.
Are you?
By the way, what WAS its mission?
( Hey...... maybe it was just in the Gulf to carry that memorable sign.)

But why ask me?
I don't even know that the war against Iraq had a mission, other than that Bush was determined it would come to pass.
We were in Afghanistan presumably to flush out and bring to justice the author of an actual attack to Americans on American soil..... one Osama Bin Ladin.
Who according to even Fox News is still eating his three squares a day and flapping around freely without... one imagines ... a care in the world.
Living, so to speak (after 8 years of laughing hard) under his own "Mission Accomplished, Hey, Hey" sign.

Norma Manna BLum
I don't know? From a woman of the world who knows everything, and can be told nothing?

Try logic.
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein