QUOTES about America and Americans

Where no two people are likely to agree.
numan
BANNED

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:20 pm

'
"...the United States of America: that wretched burlesque of an ancient republic which possesses the forms of democracy without the spirit of liberty."
---Henry Thomas Buckle

Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:17 pm

The United States is unusual among the industrial democracies in the rigidity of the system of ideological control - "indoctrination," we might say - exercised through the mass media.
Noam Chomsky
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:21 pm

Flash wrote:
The United States is unusual among the industrial democracies in the rigidity of the system of ideological control - "indoctrination," we might say - exercised through the mass media.
Noam Chomsky
When he said that, was Noam Chomsky trying to indoctrinate people through the mass media?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:07 am

'
"Study after study reveals the obvious: Top advisory and decision-making positions relating to international affairs are heavily concentrated in the hands of representatives of major corporations, banks, investment firms, the few law firms that cater to corporate interests, and the technocratic and policy-oriented intellectuals who do the bidding of those who own and manage...the private empires that govern most aspects of our lives with little pretense of public accountability and not even a gesture to democratic control."
---Noam Chomsky, Foreign Policy and the Intelligensia

Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

xouper
True Skeptic

Post by xouper » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:13 am

Regarding US government involvement in the 9/11 attacks: "the evidence that has been produced is essentially worthless"
~~ Noam Chomsky

Regarding observations cited by conspiracy proponents, such as numan: "if you look at the evidence, anybody who knows anything about the sciences would instantly discount that evidence,"
~~ Noam Chomsky

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:48 am

'
Yes, Chomsky, like so many others, was a coward and knuckled under to the masters about 9/11.

He knew that his access to the mass media would have ended if he had acknowledged the truth.

xouper
True Skeptic

Post by xouper » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:02 am

Toronto air show takes off
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/ ... ronto.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last Updated: Sunday, September 5, 2010 CBC News

The Canadian International Air Show took flight over Toronto Sunday after Saturday's scheduled opening was cancelled due to high winds.

The planes began flying over the Canadian National Exhibition just after 12:30 with a large crowd cheering them on, ...
Ya gotta loves those Canadians cheering on the "Military-Industrial Complex".

:lol: :lol:

xouper
True Skeptic

Post by xouper » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:10 am

Speaking about the current government of British Columbia (and Gordon Campbell in particular):

"You're not having focus on education, on building a strong economy, on providing good-quality health care. You have a government in chaos."
~~ Carole James, NDP.

Bunyip
Regular Poster

Post by Bunyip » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:48 am

Always remember to be nice to America or we'll bring you democracy. (an American cousin,shortly aftter the invasion of Iraq)
Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:32 pm

'
"Here is something that the psychologists have so far neglected: the love of ugliness for its own sake, the lust to make the world intolerable. Its habitat is the United States. Out of the melting pot emerges a race which hates beauty as it hates truth."
---H. L. Mencken

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:28 pm

"Land!"
"Indians!"
D. H. Montgomery
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:38 pm

vanderpoel wrote:"Land!"
"Indians!"
D. H. Montgomery
Just a sidenote:

Does any nation reside on land not stolen from someone else?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:49 pm

"We are the stanch upholders of every honest man, whether business man or wage-worker."
Theodore Roosevelt
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:52 pm

'
"...it is proper to say that the U.S. Constitution is not such an instrument as it has generally been assumed to be; but by false interpretations, and naked usurpations, the government has been made in practice a very widely, and almost wholly different thing from what the Constitution itself purports to authorize....

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain---that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it.

In either case, it is unfit to exist."

---Lysander Spooner, No Treason

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:10 am

landrew wrote: Just a sidenote: Does any nation reside on land not stolen from someone else?
I guess Papaun Highlanders and a few Pacific Islands. Australia's current indigenous population is the third wave of humans who populated here and are DNA linked to Indians.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:28 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
landrew wrote: Just a sidenote: Does any nation reside on land not stolen from someone else?
I guess Papaun Highlanders and a few Pacific Islands. Australia's current indigenous population is the third wave of humans who populated here and are DNA linked to Indians.
And don't forget Little America at the South Pole.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:50 am

landrew wrote:
Just a sidenote: Does any nation reside on land not stolen from someone else?
A big NO. Look at the Europeans. England stole the entire countries; Wales, Ireland, Scotland, India, North America. France and Germany continuously stole land from each other. So did the Germans and the Poles, the Poles and the Russians and both stole the entire Ukraine from the Turks who stole it before from Byzantium.
What a thieving and murderous tribal species we are. :shock:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Flash wrote: What a thieving and murderous tribal species we are. :shock:
And liars, when we claim our people have occupied a land since the beginning of time.

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:29 pm

landrew wrote:
And liars, when we claim our people have occupied a land since the beginning of time.
Evidently you don't believe in Adam and Eve.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:21 pm

vanderpoel wrote:
landrew wrote:
Adam was supposed to be the first man on earth, who had a woman custom made for him, but Cain apparently found a wife in the "Land of Nod" and after he killed his brother Abel. There his son Enoch supposedly built the first city. Apparently the Nod people didn't count for very much.

The whole story is very sketchy, and considering the dysfunctional family it came from, highly dubious.

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:44 pm

landrew wrote:
vanderpoel wrote:
landrew wrote:
Adam was supposed to be the first man on earth, who had a woman custom made for him, but Cain apparently found a wife in the "Land of Nod" and after he killed his brother Abel. There his son Enoch supposedly built the first city. Apparently the Nod people didn't count for very much.

The whole story is very sketchy, and considering the dysfunctional family it came from, highly dubious.
I tried for years to custom make my women.
Then I got married.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:22 pm

numan wrote:'
fromthehills wrote:I do think that Canada has the monopoly on sandpaper production, which I tend to buy a lot of. It's starting to get better, but can you folks start making it a little more durable? I mean, it shouldn't tear this easily just from hitting a splinter.
That is planned obsolescence and the Glory of Capitalism at work. Be happy that your money is going to support Your Betters.

Around 1994, I bought one of those newfangled label printing machines, which prints colored text on white plastic labels. About a year later, true to form, it stopped working. I took it apart, and found a small gear that had broken neatly in half. I simply glued it back together, and it's still working perfectly today.

Hah! I beat the bastards!

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:58 pm

landrew wrote: I simply glued it back together, and it's still working perfectly today.
Did the same thing with my heart.

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Post by brauneyz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:56 pm

vanderpoel wrote:
landrew wrote: I simply glued it back together, and it's still working perfectly today.
Did the same thing with my heart.
Two blue posts today so far.... :frown:

Hope these help. :hug: & :lips:
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:28 pm

Thank you brauneyz, I 'm no longer blue.
They tell sad people about how when one door closes, others open up, but they never tell you about the draft.

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Post by brauneyz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:45 pm

vanderpoel wrote:Thank you brauneyz, I 'm no longer blue.
They tell sad people about how when one door closes, others open up, but they never tell you about the draft.
Actually, they do. They just call it god and make it sound so damn uplifting. ;)

Glad you're feeling better. Maybe it was watching Favre last night looking lost w/o Rice and wondering just what the hell he did come back for. :shock:
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:09 pm

brauneyz wrote:
vanderpoel wrote:Thank you brauneyz, I 'm no longer blue.
Actually, they do. They just call it god and make it sound so damn uplifting. ;)

Glad you're feeling better. Maybe it was watching Favre last night looking lost w/o Rice and wondering just what the hell he did come back for. :shock:
He's a devout Catholic looking for more flagellation.

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:28 pm

'
What a brave man! Twitting the insatiable American craving for flattery in the very den of the Beast!

"You have set up in New York harbour a monstrous idol which you call Liberty. The only thing that remains to complete that monument is to put on its pedestal the inscription written by Dante on the Gate of Hell:

ALL HOPE ABANDON, YE WHO ENTER HERE."

---George Bernard Shaw, Speech in New York City

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:44 pm

I suppose you're as much a fan of Shaw's selective breeding and shavian eugenics as you are of quoting dead foreigners with antiquated opinions about Americans.

To a casual outside observer the first impressions of the visitors to the US might seem to have literary significance, but on further review it becomes evident that first impressions are the bane of transplants. That smug European belief that wisdom and culture are the entitlement of European birth is the veil that obscures the reality that imports need to be quarantined to get rid of that contagious disease called attitude.

Can't say that I've encountered such an attitude from Australians, Canadians or New Zealanders and I'm sure they don't think they're entitled to a claim of superiority, but the English, French and Germans wear their accents as a badge of superiority.

Their souls are pregnant with the distortions of scripture and the persistent memory of glory days of yore. Yet their publications are revered by you and quoted as if they were relevant today. Lacking quarantine and lengthy assimilation into our culture they espouse that their accent suffices to give credit to their ramblings and their offspring clamors to these remnants of culture as if it was a cure for humanity.

Of course, you will only find what you're looking for since it will be the confirmation of your uncorked superiority as an accidental intellect.

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:06 am

'
Judging by the tone of bitterness in your posting, vanderpoel, it seems as though at least one American has more of a chip on his shoulder than the Europeans do!

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:21 am

numan wrote:'
Judging by the tone of bitterness in your posting, vanderpoel, it seems as though at least one American has more of a chip on his shoulder than the Europeans do!
My concern is that of a father for all his children.
But I do believe that, given time and coaching, the English and Germans can be reeducated to respect their women like they do their beer. Not so sure about the French.

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:10 pm

'
"In America, the majority raises formidable barriers around the liberty of opinion: within these barriers, an author may write what he pleases; but woe to him if he goes beyond them. Not that he is danger of an auto-da-fé, but he is exposed to continued obloquy and persecution. His political career is closed forever, since he has offended the only authority which is able to open it. Every sort of compensation, even that celebrity, is refused to him. Before publishing his opinions, so sooner has he declared them, than he is loudly censured by his opponents, whilst those who think like him, without having the courage to speak out, abandon him in silence."
---Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:05 pm

numan wrote:'"In America, the majority raises formidable barriers around the liberty of opinion: within these barriers, an author may write what he pleases; but woe to him if he goes beyond them. Not that he is danger of an auto-da-fé, but he is exposed to continued obloquy and persecution. His political career is closed forever, since he has offended the only authority which is able to open it. Every sort of compensation, even that celebrity, is refused to him. Before publishing his opinions, so sooner has he declared them, than he is loudly censured by his opponents, whilst those who think like him, without having the courage to speak out, abandon him in silence."
---Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America
Here we go again with quotes of an irrelevant dead French from the 1800s.
I don't know who is more hypocritical, Tocqueville for describing his support for the colonisation of Algeria or you for quoting that nonsense.
Besides, his comments apply more aptly to every other society but America.
Like Russia, China, Iran.

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:34 pm

'
vanderpoel wrote:Here we go again with quotes of an irrelevant dead French from the 1800s.
I don't know who is more hypocritical, Tocqueville for describing his support for the colonisation of Algeria or you for quoting that nonsense.
Red herring, red herring! · · · :lol:

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:13 am

'

"The last word of obscene rottenness contained within an entity of mechanized egoistic will---that is what Uncle Sam is to me."
---D. H. Lawrence, Letter, 1922

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:19 pm

'
"The American Way is to seduce a man by bribery and make a prostitute of him. Or else to ignore him, starve him into submission and make a hack out of him."
---Henry Miller, The Air-Conditioned Nightmare

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:23 am

I have a condition called Aspergers Syndrome, which is like a mild form of autism It means I don't interact properly in certain social situations.
Gary Numan
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... numan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:28 am

I honestly try really hard to talk to people, as though everyone's the same. No-ones better, no-one's worse, I don't think one job is better than another. I really try to look at the world and everyone in it evenly.
Gary Numan
http://thinkexist.com/quotes/gary_numan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:43 pm

'

"I am willing to love all mankind, except an American."
---Dr. Samuel Johnson, Life of Samuel Johnson

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:15 am

'

"I have seen the future [America], and it does not work."
---Philip Toynbee, The Observer, 21-07-74