QUOTES about America and Americans

Where no two people are likely to agree.
User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:39 pm

numan the troll™ wrote:There is a reason that America needs to import its humourists from Canada.
You have that backwards. America doesn't import humorists from Canada. They come to America voluntarily because America is a better place.

By the way, you can have Celine Dione back. We don't want her.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:49 pm

numan the troll™ wrote:
xouper wrote: I suppose I could keep egging him on...but I have better things to do....
Oh, a quitter, eh?
Are you inviting me to keep egging you on? You're that desperate for attention?
numan the troll™ wrote:Well, Americans do have a tradition of being unable to finish wars which they start.
Americans have finished every war they ever started, beginning with the one against Britain a couple hundred years ago. And they finished a few they didn't start, that other countries weren't able to finish, such as WW2. Vietnam was handed to the Americans by the French, who gave up. In hindsight that was not a war the U.S. should have gotten involved with but the Americans did not start it. As for Iraq, the Americans stomped them into the dust. Twice. And don't bother to mention Afghanistan, where Canada is also still fighting. And America won the Cold War.

Sorry, numan, but your attempted taunt failed miserably.

In any case, I'm not the one who started this thread, you are. Is that normal behavior for American ex-pats who are Canadian wannabes?

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:59 pm

'
vanderpoel wrote:...it is evident that the US still imports more foreign educated minds than Canada does.

Not per capita, it doesn't!

As with so many things that are evident to Americans, that is wrong:

Well-educated, older immigrants prefer Canada to U.S., poll finds
But among those who have completed only elementary education, the U.S. outstrips Canada by a considerable margin....
...among those who have completed secondary education, Canada leads by 59 per cent to 51 per cent.

“The better-educated cohort may be more disposed to coming here because they feel opportunity is not as strong in the U.S. for people with higher levels of education. I would also argue we have a stronger support network, a stronger safety net, which may be a powerful incentive,” Dr. Jedwab said.
vanderpoel wrote:I doubt that the reasons so many bright people are attracted to our country are merely our California girls.
Wrong again! ~about the girls (and guys). Read the article. More people in the world find Canadians sexy than they do Americans: 64% versus 50%! I suppose it's because of all that flab you guys haul around.

On the level of anecdote: The first time my mother came up here to BC (from her home in California), she said several times, "There are so many beautiful women here!" And I agree with her. Lucky me.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:19 pm

But among those who have completed only elementary education, the U.S. outstrips Canada by a considerable margin....

...among those who have completed secondary education, Canada leads by 59 per cent to 51 per cent.

“The better-educated cohort may be more disposed to coming here because they feel opportunity is not as strong in the U.S. for people with higher levels of education. ...
Translation: "We don't want to go to America because there are already too many educated people there and we just can't compete. So we prefer Canada because the intellectual competition for jobs is not as strong there."

User avatar
vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4577
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:01 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by vanderpoel » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:23 pm

numan wrote:'
xouper wrote: I suppose I could keep egging him on...but I have better things to do....
Oh, a quitter, eh?

Well, Americans do have a tradition of being unable to finish wars which they start.
That's because we're one man short.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:28 pm

vanderpoel wrote:
numan wrote:
xouper wrote: I suppose I could keep egging him on...but I have better things to do....
Oh, a quitter, eh?

Well, Americans do have a tradition of being unable to finish wars which they start.
That's because we're one man short.
:lol: :lol: Good one, van.

When the time came, numan ran away rather than fight in the war. And he has the nerve to accuse Americans of being quitters. Well, it's true, there were a few quitters who ran away to Canada, like numan did.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:31 pm

'
xouper wrote: Americans have finished every war they ever started, beginning with the one against Britain a couple hundred years ago. And they finished a few they didn't start, that other countries weren't able to finish, such as WW2. Vietnam was handed to the Americans by the French, who gave up. In hindsight that was not a war the U.S. should have gotten involved with but the Americans did not start it. As for Iraq, the Americans stomped them into the dust. Twice. And don't bother to mention Afghanistan, where Canada is also still fighting. And America won the Cold War.
Pretty feeble, Xoup. Yeah, the USA wins wars---in Hollywood.

The French defeated the British at Yorktown, not the gaggle of Yankee Doodles led by the Terroist George Washington.

Russia defeated Hitler; the USA was just a bit player.

And don't make me laugh about Vietnam: it hurts too much. The USA started the Vietnam War with its lies about the phony Gulf of Tonkin attacks. And when the going got too tough, you guys skeedadled with your tails between your legs. I well remember all those helicopters being pushed off aircraft carriers into the sea as you were fleeing from Saigon.

America did not win the Cold War; Russia lost it. Big difference.

And as for the Middle East, the cocky warmongers who started the wars there are twisting themselves in knots trying to crawl out of the ashes of their failure to Conquer the World.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:37 pm

'
vanderpoel wrote: That's because we're one man short.
If the Americans who run their wars no longer have their best people, it's their own fault for being murdering, dirty double-crosssing swindlers.

Don't try to make me sorry for them. They disgust me too much.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:03 pm

numan wrote:
xouper wrote:Americans have finished every war they ever started, beginning with the one against Britain a couple hundred years ago. And they finished a few they didn't start, that other countries weren't able to finish, such as WW2. Vietnam was handed to the Americans by the French, who gave up. In hindsight that was not a war the U.S. should have gotten involved with but the Americans did not start it. As for Iraq, the Americans stomped them into the dust. Twice. And don't bother to mention Afghanistan, where Canada is also still fighting. And America won the Cold War.
Pretty feeble, Xoup. Yeah, the USA wins wars---in Hollywood.

The French defeated the British at Yorktown, not the gaggle of Yankee Doodles led by the Terroist George Washington.

Russia defeated Hitler; the USA was just a bit player.

And don't make me laugh about Vietnam: it hurts too much. The USA started the Vietnam War with its lies about the phony Gulf of Tonkin attacks. And when the going got too tough, you guys skeedadled with your tails between your legs. I well remember all those helicopters being pushed off aircraft carriers into the sea as you were fleeing from Saigon.

America did not win the Cold War; Russia lost it. Big difference.

And as for the Middle East, the cocky warmongers who started the wars there are twisting themselves in knots trying to crawl out of the ashes of their failure to Conquer the World.
Preserved as evidence that numan is ignorant of history.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:11 pm

'
xouper wrote: Preserved as evidence that numan is ignorant of history.
Preserved as evidence that Xouper will say anything to avoid facing the truth.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:17 pm

numan the troll™ wrote:
xouper wrote:Preserved as evidence that numan is ignorant of history.
Preserved as evidence that Xouper will say anything to avoid facing the truth.
Hey look, numan wrote something original and clever. NOT!!! . . . . :lol: :lol:

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Funny how numan conveniently glosses over the fact that Canada is currently fighting a war in Afghanistan. Many Canadians want Canada to quit that war. I don't blame them, actually.

But I guess that would make them quitters, according to numan's "logic".

User avatar
Pyrrho
Administrator
Posts: 9949
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:31 am

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:11 pm

http://www.notable-quotes.com/a/america_quotes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by Aztexan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:52 pm

"Agggghhh, who gives a {!#%@} anymore?"----my friend's grandfather


I liked these two from your link:
America is not just a country, it's an idea.

BONO, 2004 PENN Address
America did not invent human rights. In a very real sense, it is the other way round. Human rights invented America.

JIMMY CARTER, Farewell Address, Jan. 14, 1981
Last edited by Aztexan on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:54 pm

xouper wrote:
numan the troll™ wrote:
xouper wrote: I suppose I could keep egging him on...but I have better things to do....
Oh, a quitter, eh?
Are you inviting me to keep egging you on? You're that desperate for attention?
In case the answer is yes, here's a couple of editorial cartoons from the Vancouver Sun:

More RCMP humor:
http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/edi ... 360493.bin

And speaking of Canadian comedians, may I present the Right Honourable Mr. Ignatieff:
http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/edi ... 337435.bin

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Pyrrho wrote: http://www.notable-quotes.com/a/america_quotes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here's one of my favorites from that list:
America's abundance was created not by public sacrifices to the common good, but by the productive genius of free men who pursued their own personal interests and the making of their own private fortunes. They did not starve the people to pay for America's industrialization. They gave the people better jobs, higher wages, and cheaper goods with every new machine they invented, with every scientific discovery or technological advance -- and thus the whole country was moving forward and profiting, not suffering, every step of the way.

~~ AYN RAND

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:12 pm

'
ruben lopez wrote: "Agggghhh, who gives a {!#%@} anymore?"----my friend's grandfather
The United States would be a better place if more people had the attitude of your friend's grandfather.

Too many Americans have their heads filled with crude, simplistic, erroneous notions and try to force their idiotic attitudes on other people. And then they get angry if someone doesn't take them seriously!. [Take note, Xouper]

Better not to think at all, if one cannot think calmly and clearly.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:17 pm

'
Thank you, Pyrrho, for some other intelligent quotations --- FINALLY!

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:22 pm

xouper wrote: Here's one of my favorites from that list:

~~ AYN RAND
Ayn Rand! Why am I not surprised?

The refuge of the snotty, intellligent teenager who has no understanding or experience of the world.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by Aztexan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:24 pm

numan wrote:'
ruben lopez wrote: "Agggghhh, who gives a {!#%@} anymore?"----my friend's grandfather
The United States would be a better place if more people had the attitude of your friend's grandfather.

Too many Americans have their heads filled with crude, simplistic, erroneous notions and try to force their idiotic attitudes on other people. And then they get angry if someone doesn't take them seriously!. [Take note, Xouper]

Better not to think at all, if one cannot think calmly and clearly.

.
I think America is the way it is because not enough people care. I agree with you about how too many Americans have their heads filled with "crude, simplistic, erroneous notions", as you say. Luckily, we get to vote them out of office every once in a while. But your over-generalizations do seem rather ignorant because I think you obviously know that not everyone is as you think they are, yet you say it anyway.
Fascinating, really.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:39 pm

'
The bosom of America is open to receive not only the Opulent and respectable Stranger, but the oppressed and persecuted of all Nations And Religions; whom we shall wellcome to a participation of all our rights and previleges, if by decency and propriety of conduct they appear to merit the enjoyment.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Dec. 2, 1783

Yeah, and then the party of that terrorist traitor passed the Alien and Sedition Acts.

Grotesque hypocrisy right from the get-go.

"As to you, sir, treacherous in private friendship and a hypocrite in public life, the world will be puzzled to decide whether you are an apostate or a an impostor -- whether you have abandoned good principles or whether you ever had any."
---Thomas Paine !!!, Letter to George Washington

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:57 pm

'
ruben lopez wrote: But your over-generalizations do seem rather ignorant because I think you obviously know that not everyone is as you think they are, yet you say it anyway.
That is an obvious red herring. I am constantly writing "some" or "most" Americans; I have never written "all Americans"! And yet you misrepresent me -- either maliciously [like Xouper], or more likely, in your case, from simple lack of thought.
ruben lopez wrote: Luckily, we get to vote them out of office every once in a while
If you really think that voting has any significant effect on the way America is run, then you are living in La-La Land.

If voting could really change anything it would be made illegal; or, as is actually the case, most notably in 2004, in Ohio, the ballot boxes would be stuffed.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:04 am

'
This is the story of America. Everybody's doing what they think they're supposed to do.

JACK KEROUAC, On the Road

That is obviously false.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:08 am

'
America needs to be a lot more like the Waltons and a lot less like the Simpsons.

GEORGE H.W. BUSH

And that is true. Too bad George H. W. Bush was like Dr. Evil.

One guess who George W. Bush was like.

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:27 am

numan the troll™ wrote:
xouper wrote:Here's one of my favorites from that list:

~~ AYN RAND
Ayn Rand! Why am I not surprised?

The refuge of the snotty, intellligent teenager who has no understanding or experience of the world.
:lol: :lol: That's the kind of ignorant comment I would expect from a liberty hating, pinko commie faggot.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:35 am

From Pyrrho's link:
America's abundance was created not by public sacrifices to the common good, but by the productive genius of free men who pursued their own personal interests and the making of their own private fortunes. They did not starve the people to pay for America's industrialization. They gave the people better jobs, higher wages, and cheaper goods with every new machine they invented, with every scientific discovery or technological advance -- and thus the whole country was moving forward and profiting, not suffering, every step of the way.
~~ AYN RAND, Capitalism: The Unknown Deal
This is the story of America. Everybody's doing what they think they're supposed to do.
~~ JACK KEROUAC, On the Road
Because of what America is and what America has done, a firmer courage, a higher hope, inspires the heart of all humanity.
~~ CALVIN COOLIDGE, inaugural address, Mar. 4, 1925
America did not invent human rights. In a very real sense, it is the other way round. Human rights invented America.
~~ JIMMY CARTER, Farewell Address, Jan. 14, 1981
numan wrote:
Pyrrho wrote: http://www.notable-quotes.com/a/america_quotes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, Pyrrho, for some other intelligent quotations --- FINALLY!
I'm glad to see you liked them, numan.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:39 am

numan the troll™ wrote:
ruben lopez wrote:But your over-generalizations do seem rather ignorant because I think you obviously know that not everyone is as you think they are, yet you say it anyway.
That is an obvious red herring. I am constantly writing "some" or "most" Americans; I have never written "all Americans"! And yet you misrepresent me -- either maliciously [like Xouper], or more likely, in your case, from simple lack of thought.
ruben lopez wrote:Luckily, we get to vote them out of office every once in a while
If you really think that voting has any significant effect on the way America is run, then you are living in La-La Land.

If voting could really change anything it would be made illegal; or, as is actually the case, most notably in 2004, in Ohio, the ballot boxes would be stuffed.
Looks like someone is getting under numan's skin.

Well done.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:42 am

'
xouper wrote: That's the kind of ignorant comment I would expect from a liberty hating, pinko commie faggot.
Do you think you can get your tongue to hang out even farther, Xouper?

Pinko! Now there's a word I haven't come across in ages! A real period piece, redolent of the rise of the National Security State and the Military-Industrial Conspiracy! With more than a touch of the rank odour of McCarthyism and fearful hysteria! Xouper, where did a wet-behind-the-ears youngster like you come across something so archaic?

.
Last edited by numan on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:49 am

numan wrote:
ruben lopez wrote:But your over-generalizations do seem rather ignorant because I think you obviously know that not everyone is as you think they are, yet you say it anyway.
That is an obvious red herring. I am constantly writing "some" or "most" Americans; I have never written "all Americans"!
That's provably false. You have indeed referred to all Americans and you quote others who are referring to all Americans.

Here's just one example:
numan wrote:It would appear that Americans are far more ignorant than Canadians. Surprise, surprise.
There is no qualification that you meant only "some" or "most" Americans. You are clearly referring to Americans in general, not just some of them. You are so busted numan, caught in a blatant lie.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:52 am

numan wrote:
xouper wrote:That's the kind of ignorant comment I would expect from a liberty hating, pinko commie faggot.
Do you think you can get your tongue to hang out even farther, Xouper?
Translation: "I, numan, am guilty as charged, but I will try to deflect attention from my liberty-hating stance and make some lame unoriginal and uncreative comment about xouper instead."

Sorry, numan, but we can see right through you. :lol:

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:01 am

'
America is not just a country, it's an idea.

BONO, 2004 PENN Address

Yes, a bad idea!

"Amerika ist ein Fehler, ein gigantischer Fehler!"
[America is a mistake -- a gigantic mistake!]
---Sigmund Freud, Letter to his wife

America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen ... but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success.

SIGMUND FREUD

I don't know about Freud's psychoanalytic theory, but his judgement of America was spot on!

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:10 am

'
[America is] the land where people find whatever they have lost.

GUNTER GRASS, The Tin Drum

No, it is where they lose the civilization their ancestors had slowly and painfully acquired.


"Civilized Europeans came to America to tame the wilderness, and the wilderness turned them into savages."
---Ahem! Modesty forbids!

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:11 am

numan the troll™ wrote:America is not just a country, it's an idea.

BONO, 2004 PENN Address

Yes, a bad idea!
Preserved as evidence that numan hates liberty.

Sooner or later, a troll will say something so totally stoopid that it undermines every criticism of America he's ever posted.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 9249
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by Aztexan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:59 am

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THIS IS NOT AN OVER-GENERALIZATION. THIS IS A FACT:
From the evidence I provided, I conclude that all guys named newman are pricks. But they do make you laugh.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:53 am

'
My conception of America is a land where men and women may walk in ordered freedom in the independent conduct of their occupations; where they may enjoy the advantages of wealth, not concentrated in the hands of the few but spread through the lives of all; where they build and safeguard their homes, and give to their children the fullest advantages and opportunities of American life; where every man shall be respected in the faith that his conscience and his heart direct him to follow; where a contented and happy people, secure in their liberties, free from poverty and fear, shall have the leisure and impulse to seek a fuller life.

HERBERT HOOVER, speech, Oct. 22, 1928

That is really funny, considering that he presided over a time of crashing hopes, ballooning despair, the rich getting richer and everybody else getting poorer, starving children, homes lost by the millions, and more poverty and fear than any time before or since!

But then, lies and hypocrisy are the life blood of the American Experience!

.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
numan
BANNED
Posts: 2938
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Location: What! Me Worry?

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by numan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:57 am

'
The chief business of the American people is business.

CALVIN COOLIDGE, speech, Jan. 17, 1925

That's the old America. Today, the chief business of the American people is delusion.

In America, the mind has out-lived its usefulness. It is a luxury that America can no longer afford.

.
Last edited by numan on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: has left the building

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by xouper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:55 pm

numan the liar™ wrote:The chief business of the American people is business.
CALVIN COOLIDGE, speech, Jan. 17, 1925

That's the old America. Today, the chief business of the American people is delusion.
Here's another example where you are talking about all Americans, not just some of them. Your previous claim that you never do this is clearly a lie. You are a troll AND a liar.
numan the racist troll™ wrote:In America, the mind has out-lived its usefullness. It is a luxury that America can no longer afford.
Congratulations, you have set a new low, even for you, numan.

Your comment is so stoopid, it is the opposite of wit. Negative wit, if you will. It's beyond being devoid of any humor or intellectual content, it's dour and dumb.

Phlegmak is correct in calling you a racist in another thread. "You are a classic racist, except instead of hating whites or Jews, your group you hate is Americans."

User avatar
fromthehills
True Skeptic
Posts: 10898
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am
Location: Woostone

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by fromthehills » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:01 pm

Also from the other thread: I think Landrew's Yugo is way to fine an automobile to waste on Numan the Troll.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11986
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:21 pm

fromthehills wrote:Also from the other thread: I think Landrew's Yugo is way to fine an automobile to waste on Numan the Troll.
You can never find a suicide bomber when you need one.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

User avatar
rrichar911
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4853
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Texas, God's country USA

Re: QUOTES about America and Americans

Post by rrichar911 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:30 pm

numan the troll™ wrote:
Well, Americans do have a tradition of being unable to finish wars which they start.
Well, why don't you start one, and we will se if we can get it right this time.
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein