It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Dwayne de Schwamp

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:55 am

landrew wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:12 pm
The judiciary should be completely separate from party politics.
But that's just me ranting about the separation of powers that the founding fathers wanted.
And if you've got any suggestions as to how to bring about this blissful state of affairs, I'd like to hear them. I'm in despair. When the judges are corrupt, a country is doomed. Maybe it's just as well. If the Europeans can get past their present crisis of confidence, they'd be much better leaders than the US has been since 1965. Just compare Macron's latest speeches with Trump's.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

― Frédéric Bastiat (1801–1850), French economist

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:55 am
landrew wrote:
But that's just me ranting about the separation of powers that the founding fathers wanted.
And if you've got any suggestions as to how to bring about this blissful state of affairs, I'd like to hear them. I'm in despair. When the judges are corrupt, a country is doomed. Maybe it's just as well. If the Europeans can get past their present crisis of confidence, they'd be much better leaders than the US has been since 1965. Just compare Macron's latest speeches with Trump's.
All it takes is a majority of citizens wanting the same things from their elected officials.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:05 pm

Today I learned:

One possible anagram of the letters in "election results" is "lies, let's recount".

https://anagram-solver.net/liesletsrecount
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:09 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:22 am
Just in time for the holidays
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/09/matthew-whitaker-acting-attorney-general-wpm-scam wrote: Trump's acting attorney general involved in firm that scammed veterans out of life savings
The entire field uv inventing haz alwayz been a feeding ground for skammerz and lawyerz bekuz the Patent & Trademark Office iz a sham.

I want to turn it into a real ajensy with investigativ and enforsment powerz.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Gord wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:05 pm
Today I learned:

One possible anagram of the letters in "election results" is "lies, let's recount".

https://anagram-solver.net/liesletsrecount
Seems that's how many right-wing nuts are reading it. And are marching on election offices. (In FL, actually, to stop the counting.)
Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:22 pm

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:55 pm

florida is always the worst with elections...hanging chads.....time to nuke florida and move on...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:55 pm
florida is always the worst with elections...hanging chads.....time to nuke florida and move on...
Gators as Election Observers should do the trick...

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:33 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:22 pm
Something old, something new...
And, I hope, the shape of things to come. I'm encouraged by the election because the GOP made a full-court press in terms of voter suppression, and it didn't quite work. That should be the handwriting on the wall for them. People of color are not going to be intimidated from voting any longer, and that's demographically bad news for the GOP. And they've now managed to alienate women to a degree that is dangerous for their electoral prospects, plus the younger generation, which really isn't fetched by attacks on same-sex marriage and abortion. To get a perfect storm, all they have to do is get us geezers really mad at them by trying to cut social security or Medicare. If they still had the House, they would no doubt do that.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.”

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:46 pm

Trump's attacks on black, female reporters shows his (hysterical) fear of and contempt for the ladies. That shouldn't be helpful. As also the continued lack of sensible gun control measures.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:49 pm

landrew wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:59 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
landrew wrote:
All it takes is a majority of citizens wanting the same things from their elected officials.
na·ive·té
[ˌnäˌēvəˈtā, näˈēv(ə)ˌtā]

NOUN
naivety (noun) · naïvety (noun)
lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment.
"the administration's naiveté and inexperience in foreign policy"
synonyms:
innocence · lack of sophistication · lack of experience · ingenuousness · guilelessness · lack of guile · unworldliness · childlikeness · trustfulness · simplicity · naturalness · [more]
innocence or unsophistication.
"they took advantage of his naiveté and deep pockets"
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:47 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:49 pm
landrew wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:59 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
landrew wrote:
na·ive·té
[ˌnäˌēvəˈtā, näˈēv(ə)ˌtā]

NOUN
naivety (noun) · naïvety (noun)
lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment.
"the administration's naiveté and inexperience in foreign policy"
synonyms:
innocence · lack of sophistication · lack of experience · ingenuousness · guilelessness · lack of guile · unworldliness · childlikeness · trustfulness · simplicity · naturalness · [more]
innocence or unsophistication.
"they took advantage of his naiveté and deep pockets"
I may be naive in my desire for better government, but I don't care. I know how things are in the real world, but nothing changes if you don't dare to dream. Take heart from all the great things that have come from popular movements.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:17 am

landrew wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:47 pm
... Take heart from all the great things that have come from popular movements.
Yes, like legalising medical weed... :D

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:22 am

TJrandom wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:17 am
landrew wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:47 pm
... Take heart from all the great things that have come from popular movements.
Yes, like legalising medical weed... :D
Prohibition never lasts. People have a right to abuse themselves all they want.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:24 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:33 pm
scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:22 pm
Something old, something new...
And, I hope, the shape of things to come. I'm encouraged by the election because the GOP made a full-court press in terms of voter suppression, and it didn't quite work.
It actually did. Without voter suppression and gerrymandering, the Dumbos would have gained 80 seats and our blasphemous turn to the right would be curtailed. Instead: we have our rule by the top 1%.

Its not naïve to identify what has to happen: Dumbo leadership to redraw the districts along rational lines leading to all the good progressive left reforms we want. In the main: money out of politics...………..etc. Ok...….that was naïve. Ha, ha...…….
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:33 am

Densely populated areas get all the democracy. When you live in the sticks, you have to settle for whatever the city slickers want.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:59 am

President Macron has called for a European Military Armed Service, that does not include the United States. Macron specifically said this was to defend Europe against China, Russia and the United States. Trump arrived in France saying that Macron's call was insulting and that Europe should pay more for NATO. Trump then, did not turn up at the European joint security meeting.

I don't think it occurred to Trump for a nanosecond, that if NATO is dissolved, and Europe has its own military pact, then the USA does not have to pay a cent to Europe. Europe will pay the entire cost of its own military. That is specifically what Macron was saying.

Secondly, France makes its own nuclear weapons and delivery systems. The UK buys it nukes from the USA (Trident) and the UK is leaving Europe. This means if the USA and China or Russia go to war, Europe may be left alone. The UK may be left alone too. That suggests the USA will cop the full load of Chinese or Russian ICBMs.

Thirdly, the Russian Federation Security Council must be laughing their heads off. The Warsaw Pact no longer exists and now it seems that NATO is going to go the same way.

On a more pragmatic note, It would seen probable that one or more other European countries will develop their own nukes or join up with France for joint development and production.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:09 am

Trump doesn't like whatever Vladimir Putin doesn't want, and that includes NATO.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:14 am

landrew wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:33 am
Densely populated areas get all the democracy. When you live in the sticks, you have to settle for whatever the city slickers want.
Just as it "should be." Are you an American, or a North Dakotan?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:18 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:14 am
landrew wrote:
Just as it "should be." Are you an American, or a North Dakotan?
Actually, having two senators from each state, regardless of size was a pretty good effort to crack the problem.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:55 am

Very fair point and excellent recognition of what was expressly noted at the time...…….but...…..Founding Fathers also thought the Constitution would/should be amended from time to time to UPDATE it. A bi-cameral house is all about a check and balance of its own power. Doesn't matter HOW it is selected....but based on State Identification is an artifact of History long since past due change. Like Muskets. You know, the technology and needs have changed.

Hmmmm....House based on Population Census....what could the Senate be based on other than States?....or...the 100 seats devided up by Gerrymandered State combinations? The population Census votes could also simply elect 100 Senators? Or an electroral college to do the same?

The KEY in all cases is that the two houses are supposed to represent Constitutional Concerns==>not party politics, and NOT vested top1% interests vs the general consensus...……..but $$ always corrupts. ;Most other things do too??? Ha, ha.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:53 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:22 am

:lol: :thumbsup:

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:00 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:24 am
Without voter suppression and gerrymandering, the Dumbos would have gained 80 seats and our blasphemous turn to the right would be curtailed. Instead: we have our rule by the top 1%.

Its not naïve to identify what has to happen: Dumbo leadership to redraw the districts along rational lines leading to all the good progressive left reforms we want. In the main: money out of politics...………..etc. Ok...….that was naïve. Ha, ha...…….
Well, it's at least a start. But that means Democrats have to get way back to the grass roots and start owning the state legislatures in areas where there are lots of minorities. That's the place where the voting districts are actually drawn.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:44 pm

The election iz starting to get unrigged. Sum states now hav automatic rejistration. Sum hav preferential ballots.

Slow & uneven progress, but maybe sumday America will be a democrasy like Australia.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:59 am
President Macron has called for a European Military Armed Service, that does not include the United States. Macron specifically said this was to defend Europe against China, Russia and the United States. Trump arrived in France saying that Macron's call was insulting and that Europe should pay more for NATO. Trump then, did not turn up at the European joint security meeting.

I don't think it occurred to Trump for a nanosecond, that if NATO is dissolved, and Europe has its own military pact, then the USA does not have to pay a cent to Europe. Europe will pay the entire cost of its own military. That is specifically what Macron was saying.

Secondly, France makes its own nuclear weapons and delivery systems. The UK buys it nukes from the USA (Trident) and the UK is leaving Europe. This means if the USA and China or Russia go to war, Europe may be left alone. The UK may be left alone too. That suggests the USA will cop the full load of Chinese or Russian ICBMs.

Thirdly, the Russian Federation Security Council must be laughing their heads off. The Warsaw Pact no longer exists and now it seems that NATO is going to go the same way.

On a more pragmatic note, It would seen probable that one or more other European countries will develop their own nukes or join up with France for joint development and production.
Hmm, it does appear that Macron said words to the effect that Europe might have to defend itself against the US, so I'll have to take back what I said above. Although it's clear that what he meant was it will have to defend itself in the event of an American abandonment of Europe.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:57 pm
Matthew Ellard wrote:

Hmm, it does appear that Macron said words to the effect that Europe might have to defend itself against the US, so I'll have to take back what I said above. Although it's clear that what he meant was it will have to defend itself in the event of an American abandonment of Europe.
I think that’s what Macron meant, that Europe will need to look to a future where the US is no longer committed to Europe.

Why not, that’s always worked really well in the past.
“I noticed this morning that a group of our Landsberg friends have been given their freedom this morning. These include...Schubert, Jost and Nosske. Schubert confessed to...supervising the execution of about 800 Jews...(referring to the order to clean up Simferopol)...Schubert managed to kill all the Jews (by Christmas 1941). Nosske was the one the other defendants called the biggest bloodhound....
Noel, Noel, what the hell.”
Benjamin Ferencz in a letter to Telford Taylor, December 1951

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Very odd thing to say about a NATO ally. There must be more to this story that we are missing.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:22 pm

Our leading political party said the same a couple of years ago - supporting the need to change our constitution to permit collective defense (allowing first strike and joint operations against nations which have not attacked Japan). The 'logic' was that the US was getting too pushy and might one day remove military support for Japan if Japan didn't step up. But their words at the time were... 'defend ourselves against the US'.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:09 am

From CNN... Naked selfies. Blackmail. Then it got worse.
Well, duh – play with a prostie in Moscow and then become President, and indeed it will be worse. Worse for the world… Oh, from the lead-in I just knew this was about Trump… Bummer ;)

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:43 am

landrew wrote:
Unfortunately, it's really people who live in the cities and suburbs who are getting screwed by the fundamentalist/Trumpist ignoramuses who live in the small towns and rural areas.

The Constitution created the Senate---a highly non-democratic institution---supposedly to provide "wise men" to check the intemperance of the masses. The geniuses who thought of this were well-versed in classical history and knew exactly how the corrupt Roman Senate became the craven haven of wealthy landowners who groveled before the Julio-Claudian emperors, quite as much as our current craven haven represents only the wealthiest and grovels before the American Caligula. (These were the same geniuses who believed the electors would be people of superior discernment who could see through the lies of demagogues. Because, obviously, the people themselves would only screw it up if they got to elect the President.)

So, how's that all working out, these days? In the Senate races just finished, Democratic candidates got 10 million more votes than Republican candidates, and yet the Republicans gained seats. I want a new constitution.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:50 am

ElectricMonk wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 pm
gorgeous wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:55 pm
Gators as Election Observers should do the trick...
No, you'll need the pythons these prodigious geniuses have turned loose in the Everglades. The pythons are winning the battle against alligators for the prize of being at the top of the food chain. It's comforting, at least, to know that Floridians themselves (including Rash Limpjaw) are no longer in that position.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:52 am

Cities might get the Democracy, but the Rural areas get the taxpayer money.

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:57 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:56 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

I think that’s what Macron meant, that Europe will need to look to a future where the US is no longer committed to Europe.

Why not, that’s always worked really well in the past.
It has never been clear what Macron means. The French certainly don't know what Macron means. The world doesn't know what Macron means. He's very short and has an attractive wife - I think the answer may lie in there somewhere
N.B. Theresa May is quite tall. Read into that what you will.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:30 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:52 am
That's because they reject progress.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:24 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:30 pm
ElectricMonk wrote:
I think most of the money goes to where the votes are.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:40 pm

landrew wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:24 pm
scrmbldggs wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:30 pm
ElectricMonk wrote:
True, but Rural areas produce way less taxes, making most Red States net recievers of Federal funds.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:03 pm

landrew wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:24 pm
Yes....the Two Votes from North Dakota must be tended to the same as the Two Votes from California...…….

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Saw the new Muslim-American-Woman representing Detroit on the Tube this morning. As you may know: I'm "anti immigration" and especially any religious cult and x2 the Muslims. That being my bias...…….I can see voting for the woman. A "grass roots progressive"....and on point, going against several major tenants of her religion, AS PRACTICED, back in her home country. "Pros and Cons" to every choice we make.

Ha, ha...……..just see the mix.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:23 pm

British Comedians' take on the American Midterms:

#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?