Canadians Resist Saudi Thuggery

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Canadians Resist Saudi Thuggery

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:05 am

Good on you, Canucks:
https://news.antiwar.com/2018/08/06/sau ... criticism/

The US continues to aid and abet the elite Saudi despots.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ge ... &FORM=IGRE
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: Canadians Resist Saudi Thuggery

Post by landrew » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:31 pm

I don't like to be the cynic, but this is a diplomacy fail. We all want backwards nations to get in sync with our own values, and they do evolve at their own pace, but we set things back when we try to apply activism. The Canadian Prime Minister criticized human rights in the Philippines, and it backfired, creating a diplomatic incident. It also caused a subsequent visit to China to be canceled.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3859723/rodr ... -concerns/
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:27 am

No one seems to know why yet, but Saudi Arabia's response is not commensurate to Canada's criticism. It is possible that Prince Mohammed is doing a favour to Trump, as foreign student in the USA have declined by 4% since Trump got in. As there are 1.02 million foreign students in the USA the revenue stream is important to USA educational facilities.

On Monday, the Al-Arabiya news agency reported the government will be transferring students enrolled in “training, scholarships and fellowships” programs in Canada to other countries. According to Canadian Bureau for International Education, roughly 10,000 students are in Canada from Saudi Arabia.
https://www.nelsonstar.com/news/b-c-off ... -students/

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:36 am

I've been half expecting to see other countries "picking on" Canada lately, to "help" put political pressure on our government while Trump is trying to beat us down over trade. He's managed to separate us out from Mexico so he can negotiate a separate deal with the Mexicans. Split us up, get pressure applied to us from multiple sources, then bargain hard -- that's my guess.

I don't believe it, though. Probably just a coincidence that I dreamt up this conspiracy hypothesis, and now there's evidence popping up that I could use to support it in my internal dialogue if I were that type of person.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Dwayne de Schwamp

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:00 am

You've got it right, Gord. At a time when the US could stand up for civil rights and support its closest neighbor and friend, it chooses to remain aloof. We aren't going to criticize any of Trump's autocrat friends, especially not to help (ugh!) democratically elected regimes where genuine human rights are allowed.
"[D]uring the last years that I carried a gun my excuse was that I was studying ornithology, and sought only new or rare birds."

Henry Thoreau in "Higher Laws" from Walden

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:32 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:No one seems to know why yet, but Saudi Arabia's response is not commensurate to Canada's criticism.

Hardly a day goes by where someone doesn't criticize SA's human rights policies. This whole thing looks Trumped up.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:35 pm

By all accounts, a right proper imbroglio:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/saudi- ... -1.4775133
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:14 pm

. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:29 pm

The United Kingdom produces oil?!?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:35 pm

Monster wrote:
The United Kingdom produces oil?!?
Have you guys emptied the North Sea already?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:42 am

OlegTheBatty wrote: This whole thing looks Trumped up.
OK. It seems pretty clear. Saudi Arabia needs Trump's support for its war in Yemen, against Iran. Therefore, as Trump doesn't like Canada, Saudi Arabia also doesn't like Canada.

Saudi Arabia expelling Canadian diplomats doesn't help Trump, but removing 10,000 Saudi students from Canada, who will probably go to the USA, will reduce the 40,000 loss of foreign students studying in the USA, since Trump got in.

This morning a Saudi airstrike killed 29 children on a school excursion bus in Yemen. It is well covered in international media. Trump's hate of media and Saudi censorship, will obviously be pushed back against, by international media, with these sorts of stories getting more oxygen. .

As Russia is allied with Iran, let's see what anti-Saudi Arabian and anti-Prince Mohammed stories start flowing through Wikileaks.
:D

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:20 am

Free Jordan Peterson!
You might not know this, but he is actually a political prisoner in Canada.
https://www.google.at/amp/s/www.vanityf ... isoner/amp

I'm sure Peterson is thrilled by the support.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:52 am

It looks like Trump`s export of fake news has found a market.