Remember when we really had a President?

Where have we been?
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Dwayne de Schwamp

Remember when we really had a President?

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:34 pm

This haunting piece of modern folk music kind of makes it real for me, even though I was too young when he died to remember him. If it inspires you to read Doris Kearns Goodwin's No Ordinary Time, I'll consider it worth the time I spent posting it.

[youtube][/youtube]
"[D]uring the last years that I carried a gun my excuse was that I was studying ornithology, and sought only new or rare birds."

Henry Thoreau in "Higher Laws" from Walden

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Remember when we really had a President?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:48 pm

Kearns is good. Those Angry Days, by Lynne Olson, is also good. So is Eleanor and Franklin, by Joseph P. Lash, one of Eleanor's closest friends. Roosevelt, The Soldier of Freedom: 1940-1945 by James MacGregor Burns is worth a look as well.
hiss FDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gawdzilla Sama on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Mrs. Roosevelt coal mine.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Dwayne de Schwamp

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:52 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Kearns is good. Those Angry Days, by Lynne Olson, is also good. So is Eleanor and Franklin, by Joseph P. Lash, one of Eleanor's closest friends. Roosevelt, The Soldier of Freedom: 1940-1945 by James MacGregor Burns is worth a look as well.

hiss FDR.jpg
Haven't seen the other books you mention. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be sure to read them now.
"[D]uring the last years that I carried a gun my excuse was that I was studying ornithology, and sought only new or rare birds."

Henry Thoreau in "Higher Laws" from Walden

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Kearns is good. Those Angry Days, by Lynne Olson, is also good. So is Eleanor and Franklin, by Joseph P. Lash, one of Eleanor's closest friends. Roosevelt, The Soldier of Freedom: 1940-1945 by James MacGregor Burns is worth a look as well.

hiss FDR.jpg
Haven't seen the other books you mention. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be sure to read them now.
I have books on the military aspects as well, but those are "people" books. More books on isolationists against FDR as well.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:10 pm

FDR scandal sheet ------------"You know I am a juggler, and I never let my right hand know what my left hand does. I'm perfectly willing to mislead and tell untruths..".FDR, May 1941 (Morgan p 550) ------------FDR blackmailed Princess Martha of Norway, mother of three small children, into having sex with him in return for war aid to her husband Crown Prince Olav and Norway during 1941.-----•THE BUTCHER OF HAITI - In July 1915 FDR, as Assistant Secretary of the Navy, personally led US Marines into Haiti to overturn the only independent black republic besides Abyssinia. By all accounts, FDR administered Haiti brutally and cruelly with no regard for lives. Even in 1920 after gross atrocities were reported in the media, FDR claimed responsibility but when that caused an uproar, he denied responsibility. In the campaign of 1920 President Harding said this: "Practically all we know is that thousands of native Haitians have been killed by American Marines, and that many of our own gallant men have sacrificed their lives at the behest of an Executive department in order to establish laws drafted by the Assistant Secretary of the Navy...I will not empower an Assistant Secretary of the Navy to draft a constitution for helpless neighbors in the West Indies and jam it down their throats at the point of bayonets borne by US Marines."
•SELF-CONFESSED FELON - 1 February 1920 before an audience of 1500 at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, FDR said, "Two months after the war was declared, I saw that the Navy was still unprepared and I spent $40,000 for guns before Congress gave me or anyone permission to spend the money." This action had been opposed by the President. FDR further boasted that he had "committed enough illegal acts" to be impeached and jailed for "999 years." (Cook, pp 265-266)
•PERJURER 1921 - A Senate subcommittee concluded that FDR had committed perjury before a Naval Court of Inquiry about his investigation of a homosexual corruption ring at the Newport, RI, Naval Station. FDR, as Assistant Secretary of the Navy, had approved the use of decoys to entrap homosexuals (young sailors were instructed in and ordered by FDR's men to perform homosexual acts and the details truly are unprintable). When it became an issue he had lied about it to the Court. He had signed an order for investigators to go "to the limit" but he denied under oath that he had read what he had signed and swore he had no idea what was in the order. On June 11, 1919, FDR had personally taken charge of every aspect of the case, the most extensive systematic persecution of homosexual men in American history
---------------------•FDR used the IRS to investigate his enemies, e.g. Father Coughlin, Rep. Hamilton Fish, publisher Moe Annenberg of the Philadelphia Inquirer and Charles Lindbergh. He also stopped investigations of his friends like Lyndon B. Johnson who had committed tax fraud.
•FDR requested the FBI files of his political opponents, e.g. Senator Nye. As he was happily discussing with his circle the sex lives of his enemies, J. Edgar Hoover was tapping Eleanor's phone! For a general discussion by presidential historians of FDR's abuse of the FBI see PBS NewsHour: -- July 5, 1996. FDR's youngest son John said, "Hell, my father just about invented bugging. Had them spread all over, and thought nothing of it." The No. 3 man at the FBI confirmed that to Congress in 1974.
•FDR abused the Secret Service, having them investigate the source of an unfavorable story in the Wall Street Journal.
•FDR used the prestige of the Presidency to enrich his dysfunctional sons through their many shady business deals. He not only phoned financiers but met with them. Jimmy made $100,000 selling insurance to government contractors in 1939, $25,000 more than his father. Elliot made $1,175,000 from 1933-1941 on the strength of his White House connections. In 1939 Elliot got his father to personally strong-arm A & P Tea Company to loan Elliot $200,000 secured by shares of a shakey Texas radio station. In 1942 the President gave $4,000 back in return for the stock, saying that it was worthless. It was worth $1 million. A & P took the $196,000 loss off their tax returns, so the US Treasury and public took the hit. FDR was also guilty of nepotism, hiring Jimmy as his secretary in 1937. Elliot became a brigadier-general in months. Eleanor made at least $3 million from 1933-1945 in lecture and writing fees, which is not bad for someone who had no earning power before she entered the White House. She also got a $10,000 fur coat from Canadian fur breeders, a gold bracelet from Emperor Haile Selassie and a gold crown from the Sultan of Morocco. When FDR had destroyed a Tammany Hall politician, he had said "What of a public official who allows a member of his family to obtain favors or benefits through his political connections?" FDR often requested and got original die sheets (back to 1896) and imperferate first sheets of stamps from the Post Office at cost, knowing that they were worth $20,000 each to collectors. He made hundreds of thousands of dollars on these stamps. In the sons' defense, their parents' example suggested that life was a scramble to satisfy personal needs and appetites. (Flynn Bk 3, ch 2, 'The White House Goes into Business')
•FDR used the very worst elements of the mob to funnel New Deal money into big cities in order to bring the political machines to their knees and ultimately control them through the mafia. In NYC he used Jimmy Hines associate of the notorious Dutch Schutz; in Chicago it was Al Capone's man Ed Kelly; it was Frank Hague in New Jersey and this pattern was repeated across the country. FDR was mobbed up. (Flynn, Bk 2, ch 8, pt 1)
•TAXES - Roosevelt & the Congress raised the effective federal tax rate by 700% between 1932 & 1939. --- John H. Makin & Norman J. Ornstein 1994 _Debt & Taxes_ pg 95.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:14 pm

Gorgeous, you live down to your reputation.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:20 pm

Roosevelt and Churchill, another one by Lash, is a record of observations by a person who had free run of the White House.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:09 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:hiss FDR.jpg
Why aren't they wearing pants?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:11 am

Roosevelt ushers in Japanese-American internment - Jan 14, 1942 ...

http://www.history.com/this-day-in.../r ... internment

On this day in 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt issues Presidential Proclamation ... the physical removal of all Japanese Americans into internment camps.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:51 am

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:hiss FDR.jpg
Why aren't they wearing pants?
It's an in-joke from a later age. Hard to find an unedited copy of that picture. I'll have to upload the only one I have for linkage.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:51 am

gorgeous wrote:Roosevelt ushers in Japanese-American internment - Jan 14, 1942 ...

http://www.history.com/this-day-in.../r ... internment

On this day in 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt issues Presidential Proclamation ... the physical removal of all Japanese Americans into internment camps.
Too bad he's not around to put you in a dumbassery.