It ain't necessarily so.

Li'I David was small, but oh my!
Li'I David was small but oh my!
He fought big Goliath
Who lay down an' dieth,
Li'I David was small, but oh my!

However

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051111/ap_ ... NlYwM5NjQ-

Archaeologists digging at the purported biblical home of Goliath have unearthed a shard of pottery bearing an inscription of the Philistine's name, a find they claimed lends historical credence to the Bible's tale of David's battle with the giant.

I am crushed. However it gives me an idea for a thread.
Lizard.

izittrue
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: former poster

Post by izittrue » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:43 pm

barenaked ladies..its all been done before..

topic like this is in the beliefs forum too.. :lol:
I am going to live forever because I believe in Santa Claus and God-
My sons 6 year old friend.

Skepchick
Founding Member

Post by Skepchick » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:46 pm

I am sure there is absolutely NO connection between the news story I linked to in the OP and this one

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051111/ap_ ... NlYwM3NTM-

In the era when dinosaurs ruled the Jurassic earth, a 13-foot oceanic crocodile with a short snout and a mouthful of deadly teeth hunted large creatures in the sea, scientists reported Thursday.
Lizard.

izittrue
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: former poster

Post by izittrue » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:51 pm

large creatures in the sea,

sounds like sf seaserpeant...to me..hmm is that another topic...
I am going to live forever because I believe in Santa Claus and God-
My sons 6 year old friend.

David
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by David » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:50 pm

Skepchick sings-
Archaeologists digging at the purported biblical home of Goliath have unearthed a shard of pottery bearing an inscription of the Philistine's name, a find they claimed lends historical credence to the Bible's tale of David's battle with the giant.

David comments- The Holy Land is filled with amazing things.

2 Kings 20:20 "As for the other events of Hezekiah’s reign, all his achievements and how he made the pool and the tunnel by which he brought water into the city..."

2 Chron. 32:30 "It was Hezekiah who blocked the upper outlet of the Gihon spring and channeled the water down to the west side of the City of David."

Carved 2,800 years ago 1750-feet (530m) through solid rock and lost for 2,000 years.
I would not have believed it except I waded along it one Shabbat.

PolyMathGntlmn64

Misunderstanding of American History

Post by PolyMathGntlmn64 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:24 am

Hey All,

I have found a nice website that has an archive of Dr. Shermer's radio appearances: www.reitstoen.com/shermer.php. I have enjoyed listening to his dueling with all the whackos out there. I own at least four of his books and am a member of The Sceptics Society, and so it pains me to say I was slightly disappointed when he did not correct a caller when they ignorantly asserted that America was historically a "Christian Nation." The caller made specific reference to Thomas Jefferson, and if there is one "Founding Father" (my apologies to Skepchick) that I would not bring up when trying to make the point that America is a “Christian Nation,” it would be Mr. Jefferson.
This is a common, simpleminded attitude of right-wing, religious whackos, and one area where we, as rationalists and sceptics, can and must “hold their toes to the fire” whenever we hear them spout this sort of egregious misrepresentation of our history. There are any number of good quotation sites on the web where Thomas Jefferson’s true thoughts on such issues as non-belief, skepticism, church-state separation, and the rights of human beings can be found.
Here are just a few quotes of Thomas Jefferson’s that illustrate my point…

“Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

“Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination.”
-Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, in reference to the Virginia Act for Religious Freedom

“Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State.”
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association, CT., Jan. 1, 1802

Many Christians seem to be unable to make a distinction between the America of the signatories of The Declaration of Independence and the America of the witch hunting, scarlet lettering, Massachusetts Bay colony Puritans. As rationalistic sceptics, anytime we hear these claims being made we need to call the whackos on it.
K. Mark Northrup
"It is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can produce evidence which logically justifies that certainty." Thomas Henry Huxley