pets finding home

Where have we been?
jeffprobst

pets finding home

Post by jeffprobst » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:48 pm

Is it possible for pets to walk hundreds of miles to get back home?

flyer1
Regular Poster

Post by flyer1 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:36 am

Sure. They can also walk hundreds of miles and not get home. It's a matter of counting the hits and discarding the misses. :lol:
"Have you seen my people, magician?" said the unicorn. "They are wild and sea-white, like me."
Schmendrick shook his head. "I have never seen anyone like you, not while I was awake."

Graculus
Poster

Post by Graculus » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:40 am

Well, I don't think it's woo-woo territory to note that dogs generally have a good sense of where "home" is.

We had a dog stolen and taken nearly 100km away. Ten days later the dog was on our front doorstep. It only took him a few days to actually get home, as part of that time the thief had him chained up. He would have to have done 20 km a day minimum (plus cross a highway, and either make it through or around a fair sized city, to boot), so obviously he knew where he was going to some extent.

flyer1
Regular Poster

Post by flyer1 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:24 pm

No, I'm sure dogs particularly have fairly good spatial orientation, and are quite capable of finding their way home within a small radius. Also, dogs and their astonishing sense of smell are able to track small things like bodies out of a background of scent "noise", and can probably locate their family scent under the right circumstances.

However, the ones that find their way home are the ones we hear about. We sadly never learn about the ones that never found their way home, like my own dog Missy, who was discovered lost and starving by the trash dump, having failed to find her way back to her house.
"Have you seen my people, magician?" said the unicorn. "They are wild and sea-white, like me."
Schmendrick shook his head. "I have never seen anyone like you, not while I was awake."

Graculus
Poster

Post by Graculus » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:17 am

Maybe some dogs are better at it than others. I know people that can get lost in their own front yard. Maybe there are dogs that lack any sense of direction, too.

Our dog was well out of any territory that was familiar to him, he'd never been in that part of the world before at all.

We were able to track his progress for a few days.. we had put an ad on the radio and we got a couple of calls. By the time we got to where he had been seen he was long gone, but the callers described things about him that weren't on the ads, so we know it we knew it was him. Idjit could have saved himself a helluva walk if he'd just listened to the nice humans.....