ET must exist

What does make the world turn?
User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

ET must exist

Post by landrew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Professor Brian Cox is an English physicist and Professor of Particle Physics in the School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Manchester in the UK contends that it is a proven fact the universe is infinite, therefore all possibilities do exist, therefore ET does exist.

The silly part comes later where even though infinity provides us with all facts being real, none of those ETs have ever had the fuel to have ever visited this planet, because as we know, the TV show Ancient Aliens is complete bollocks.

Skip to 1 hour 10 minutes for the relevant parts. The interview is nearly 3 hours long:

The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22971
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: ET must exist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Not all possibilities are possible.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by landrew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:33 pm
Not all possibilities are possible.
I suppose it differs a bit from "All things exist."

But whichever.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22971
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: ET must exist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:14 pm

Just because something CAN exist doesn't mean it DOES exist. Not all opportunities are realized.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by landrew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:29 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:14 pm
Just because something CAN exist doesn't mean it DOES exist. Not all opportunities are realized.
Well, at one point in the podcast, Brian Cox was quite adamant that infinity definitely means that all things exist. He's the physicist, I'm not.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5104
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: ET must exist

Post by gorgeous » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:31 pm

they are here
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22971
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: ET must exist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Verbal vs. written. We have time to review our words if we're writing a statement.

If all things are possible then at least some of them have to violate the laws of physics.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22971
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: ET must exist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:39 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:31 pm
they are here
They're not HERE, they're wherever you are.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5104
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: ET must exist

Post by gorgeous » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:47 pm

have them on tape^^^^
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by landrew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:16 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:31 pm
they are here
Yes, you can see the limitations of 2011 film technology in it. No color film had been invented yet, the quality is quite fuzzy, and the same streaks and spots appear on the film over and over. 2018 media is much higher quality and in color.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5502
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA

Re: ET must exist

Post by Monster » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:22 pm

landrew wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:26 pm
...all possibilities do exist....
If all possibilities exist, then that means that mutually exclusive things would exist. But that can't be possible, so then all possibilities don't exist.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5104
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: ET must exist

Post by gorgeous » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 pm

was uploaded in 2011
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22971
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: ET must exist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:32 pm

No WHENever, "wherever".
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by landrew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Monster wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:22 pm
landrew wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:26 pm
...all possibilities do exist....
If all possibilities exist, then that means that mutually exclusive things would exist. But that can't be possible, so then all possibilities don't exist.
I'm sure that Dr. Cox does not include mutually exclusive things in "All things." I'm sure he meant "all possible things exist."
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by landrew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:35 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 pm
was uploaded in 2011
You can see the obvious cheap cinematic effects that come from a cheap video editing package. It's also to see the CGI in the alien's movements.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5104
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: ET must exist

Post by gorgeous » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:39 pm

stay in denial
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by landrew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:59 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:39 pm
stay in denial
Thanks. The evidence makes it incredibly easy to deny that it's credible.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11683
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: ET must exist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:10 pm

It is a common fallacy that if a set is infinite it must contain all things. An infinity does not contain all things, it only contains those things which are part of the infinite set. There are many infinities.

To illustrate: The set of rational numbers is an infinite set. Pi exists, but try as you might, you will not find it in the infinite set of rational numbers.

That physicist has not shown that the infinity that is the Universe is congruent to the set that contains a specific possibility.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22971
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: ET must exist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:28 pm

The more you know, the less you blow.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by landrew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:43 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:10 pm
It is a common fallacy that if a set is infinite it must contain all things. An infinity does not contain all things, it only contains those things which are part of the infinite set. There are many infinities.

To illustrate: The set of rational numbers is an infinite set. Pi exists, but try as you might, you will not find it in the infinite set of rational numbers.

That physicist has not shown that the infinity that is the Universe is congruent to the set that contains a specific possibility.
In the podcast Brian Cox asserts that an infinite number of chimpanzees at typewriters will eventually tap out all the works of Shakespeare. I disagree. In each and every case, the typewriters will become clogged with chimp feces long before even one single work is produced.

A more practical variation of the infinite monkey theorem might be to run a simulation where random characters and spaces are generated by massive supercomputers continuously. I think the results can be predicted; as time goes on, a list of Shakespeare's works would slowly build. I believe the probability of the infinite monkey theorem has been calculated to something like 10 to the 360,000th power.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11683
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: ET must exist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:28 pm
The more you know, the less you blow.
What I know is finite; what I don't know is probably infinite. Therefore, no matter how much I know, I am probably no closer to knowing everything than if I knew nothing.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by landrew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Infinity is not a number.
In my humble opinion.
And neither is zero.
But I'm not the one with a PhD in mathematics or physics.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22971
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: ET must exist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:49 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:46 pm
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:28 pm
The more you know, the less you blow.
What I know is finite; what I don't know is probably infinite. Therefore, no matter how much I know, I am probably no closer to knowing everything than if I knew nothing.
If you know something then you can't not know infinite.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29891
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:03 am

gorgeous wrote: they are here
Gorgeous you idiot. This amateur hoax video has been debunked numerous times. How does a 16mm film from Russia have USA video time codes?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29891
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:05 am

gorgeous wrote: they are here
Even more ridiculous, how did the KGB shoot 1970's videos in 1942 in Russia, before the KGB even formed? :lol:

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 12072
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: ET must exist

Post by Lance Kennedy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:26 am

Saying the universe is infinite is only true for one definition of infinity, and by another definition, it is not.
The best estimate of the number of stars in the universe is roughly 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. Plus or minus quite a large number, but still quite, quite finite in number.

However, I still agree with the conclusion. The problem is that the REAL question is a little different. Are there intelligent and technological advanced aliens in our own galaxy. Since our galaxy has an estimated 100,000,000,000 stars only, such a disappointingly low number, the conclusion is not at all certain for the Milky Way.

If there are aliens in the wider universe, but not in our own galaxy, the distances are such that we can never meet them or even communicate.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34155
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: My nightmare
Location: Transcona

Re: ET must exist

Post by Gord » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:20 am

landrew wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:53 pm
Infinity is not a number.
In my humble opinion.
And neither is zero.
But I'm not the one with a PhD in mathematics or physics.
Infinity might not be a number, but zero certainly is. Behold!

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/68357.html
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by landrew » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Our ignorance is the biggest variable here. For example, we may not know that ET civilizations prefer to live inside planets and moons instead of on the surface as we might expect. For all we know, the solar system may be teeming with ETs living happily in tunnels and caverns in self-contained worlds miles below the surface.

And if we are talking about such advanced races, perhaps they all choose not to contact us, knowing full well the havoc that would result from contact. The point is that we really know very little, and our speculation is based largely on our own ignorance, therefore our opinions, scientific or otherwise carry little weight.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22971
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: ET must exist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:42 pm

And there's no reason to believe that they use the same communications systems we do.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11683
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: ET must exist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Living in tunnels and using nonhuman communications? They must be Scentipedes.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by landrew » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:30 pm

And there's no reason to think they would want to talk to us.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34155
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: My nightmare
Location: Transcona

Re: ET must exist

Post by Gord » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:34 am

I think gorgeous has missed the most obvious evidence of a NASA alien cover-up. It's right there for everyone to see!

Who is famous for going to the Moon?

Neil Armstrong.

But! What happens when you spell his name backwards?

Observe!

"Neil Armstrong"

N E I L A R M S T R O N G

G N O R T S M R A L I E N

"Gnorts, Mr. Alien!"

It's right there where anyone can work it out! JUST LIKE THE ILLUMINATI DOES EVERYTHING! PROOF!!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22971
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: ET must exist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Gord wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:34 am
I think gorgeous has missed the most obvious evidence of a NASA alien cover-up. It's right there for everyone to see!

Who is famous for going to the Moon?

Neil Armstrong.

But! What happens when you spell his name backwards?

Observe!

"Neil Armstrong"

N E I L A R M S T R O N G

G N O R T S M R A L I E N

"Gnorts, Mr. Alien!"

It's right there where anyone can work it out! JUST LIKE THE ILLUMINATI DOES EVERYTHING! PROOF!!
"Gnort barada nikto!"

Movies tell the truth!
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by landrew » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Most people here know that I value having an open mind, and I've taken considerable flack for using that phrase, mainly "your brains will fall out," but this is a case of an obvious hoax. The "KGB Alien" is such a third-rate video, it doesn't bear consideration as anything credible. It rates OK as an exercise in special effects, and I'm sure that was how it was originally intended, as a deliberate fake, but somehow feebler minds took it up as something legitimate.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10358
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: ET must exist

Post by Poodle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:00 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 pm
was uploaded in 2011
Don't be stupid, gorgeous - the 2011 date is on the film.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9062
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: ET must exist

Post by landrew » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:41 pm

"You just can't fake a good alien film."
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5104
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: ET must exist

Post by gorgeous » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 25856
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: ET must exist

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Poodle wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:00 pm
gorgeous wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 pm
was uploaded in 2011
Don't be stupid, gorgeous...
Definitely not in our infinite set. :-P
.
Lard, save me from your followers.