Mars Lunacy

What does make the world turn?
User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm

Why would anyone want to make a one-way trip to Mars, to die of cancer, or more likely starvation, at a cost about a million times higher than colonizing anywhere on earth's 96% uninhabited surface?

Why such a rush to leave this planet before we discard it? Isn't it easier to terraform this rock than that other one?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 12560
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:25 pm

No one said it was rational, landrew.

There appears to be a drive, in many people, to take risks, explore new things, and achieve fame. It can kill many people, but adds to total human experience and capability. It is almost certainly very advantageous to the human species, if not to the adventurer who dies.

That said, I will not be volunteering.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11786
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 pm

Earth has lunacy. Mars would have Phoboscy or Deimoscy. Maybe both.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23259
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:04 pm

landrew wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm
Why would anyone want to make a one-way trip to Mars, to die of cancer, or more likely starvation, at a cost about a million times higher than colonizing anywhere on earth's 96% uninhabited surface?

Why such a rush to leave this planet before we discard it? Isn't it easier to terraform this rock than that other one?
I'd say "why {!#%@} not go to Mars if you want too", but you made it an either/or when it's not.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5281
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by gorgeous » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:12 pm

the monuments on mars prove aliens were there first.....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11786
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:59 pm

The monuments (sic) on Mars show that there are idiots who believe in their own pareidolic imaginings.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5281
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by gorgeous » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:15 pm

stay in denial
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34502
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: My nightmare
Location: Transcona

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gord » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:47 am

I've got one better than the Face on Mars. Behold, the Face on the Firmament: http://awards.ixda.org/wp-content/uploa ... 70x379.jpg
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34502
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: My nightmare
Location: Transcona

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gord » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:51 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10593
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Poodle » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:09 am

Nice! A Skye terrier.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:35 am

gorgeous wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:12 pm
the monuments on mars prove aliens were there first.....
Monument on Mars.jpg
gorgeous wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:12 pm
stay in denial
Monument on Mars 2.jpg
My God.... I think Gorgeous has finally found evidence of intelligent life on Mars. Sadly Gorgeous has found no evidence of intelligence in Gorgeous. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23259
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:25 am

"stay in denial"? Gorgon could teach that {!#%@}.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:04 pm
landrew wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm
Why would anyone want to make a one-way trip to Mars, to die of cancer, or more likely starvation, at a cost about a million times higher than colonizing anywhere on earth's 96% uninhabited surface?

Why such a rush to leave this planet before we discard it? Isn't it easier to terraform this rock than that other one?
I'd say "why {!#%@} not go to Mars if you want too", but you made it an either/or when it's not.
Depends if you're using someone else's money.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23259
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:58 pm

landrew wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:58 pm
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:04 pm
landrew wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm
Why would anyone want to make a one-way trip to Mars, to die of cancer, or more likely starvation, at a cost about a million times higher than colonizing anywhere on earth's 96% uninhabited surface?

Why such a rush to leave this planet before we discard it? Isn't it easier to terraform this rock than that other one?
I'd say "why {!#%@} not go to Mars if you want too", but you made it an either/or when it's not.
Depends if you're using someone else's money.
Really? Is that your best quibble?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:58 pm
landrew wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:58 pm
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:04 pm
landrew wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm
Why would anyone want to make a one-way trip to Mars, to die of cancer, or more likely starvation, at a cost about a million times higher than colonizing anywhere on earth's 96% uninhabited surface?

Why such a rush to leave this planet before we discard it? Isn't it easier to terraform this rock than that other one?
I'd say "why {!#%@} not go to Mars if you want too", but you made it an either/or when it's not.
Depends if you're using someone else's money.
Really? Is that your best quibble?
Actually yes. The cost of establishing a self-sustaining colony (if achievable) is so vast that it dwarfs all other concerns.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23259
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Okay then.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:26 pm

I reckon the garden spot of Mars is about a million times less hospitable than the worst spot on the earth.
And a heckuva lot cheaper to colonize.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11786
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Well . . . I suppose . . . Mt. Erebus is at least warm some of the time.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:50 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:49 pm
Well . . . I suppose . . . Mt. Erebus is at least warm some of the time.
Did I at least get you to think about the absurdity of the concept?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11786
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:55 pm

landrew wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:50 pm
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:49 pm
Well . . . I suppose . . . Mt. Erebus is at least warm some of the time.
Did I at least get you to think about the absurdity of the concept?
Everything humans do is absurd if you look at it the right way.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:06 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:55 pm
landrew wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:50 pm
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:49 pm
Well . . . I suppose . . . Mt. Erebus is at least warm some of the time.
Did I at least get you to think about the absurdity of the concept?
Everything humans do is absurd if you look at it the right way.
Especially when it comes to spending other people's money indiscriminately.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23259
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:13 pm

If you don't want to go, don't give them money.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:13 pm
If you don't want to go, don't give them money.
It's the height of socialism: "We can afford anything if we ignore the cost."
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Posts: 12560
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:39 pm

A Mars colony is not practical right now. Give us 50 years and see. For example, I note that some researchers have managed to use simulated moon dust in a kind of 3D printer to build habitats. I suspect the same would be possible with Mars material. Given a bit more development, anything is possible.

Having said that, I have to say that my view is still that it makes far more sense to build mobile habitats in space, and be able to move around the solar system exploiting the vast resources found in the assorted debris available.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:04 pm

I'm not saying a resort hotel on Mars wouldn't be nice, but I question the rationale that "our own planet is no good anymore, and we need a new home."
Totally daft.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:39 pm
A Mars colony is not practical right now. Give us 50 years and see. For example, I note that some researchers have managed to use simulated moon dust in a kind of 3D printer to build habitats. I suspect the same would be possible with Mars material. Given a bit more development, anything is possible.

Having said that, I have to say that my view is still that it makes far more sense to build mobile habitats in space, and be able to move around the solar system exploiting the vast resources found in the assorted debris available.
I know we love to see the sun, but an underground colony makes more sense. Less radiation and better protection from meteorites for a start.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23259
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:18 pm

Live underground, farm underground. Dune surf on the surface.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Life for the earliest English colonists to North America was very tough, and many colonies died out, but remember, that they didn't leave the planet, and conditions were not so different in the new world from the old. Mars is a completely different story. It makes zero sense to try.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23259
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:53 pm

We've {!#%@} heard that from you.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has No Life
Posts: 11407
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by TJrandom » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:45 pm

For anyone who gets a seat for Mars, money has no meaning after blastoff- yours, mine, his/hers, anyones.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34502
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: My nightmare
Location: Transcona

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gord » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:54 am

I'm still trying to figure out who these "other people" are whose money someone is trying to spend because socialism.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:00 am

Gord wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:54 am
I'm still trying to figure out who these "other people" are whose money someone is trying to spend because socialism.
It's simple. Socialism is all about spending other people's money, because most socialists don't have any.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34502
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: My nightmare
Location: Transcona

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gord » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:55 am

landrew wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:00 am
Gord wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:54 am
I'm still trying to figure out who these "other people" are whose money someone is trying to spend because socialism.
It's simple. Socialism is all about spending other people's money, because most socialists don't have any.
:lol: Oh it's a joke! You got me.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23259
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:50 am

When you're done with landrew I want to borrow him, I have a presentation of "monomaniacal" to give.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23259
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:06 am

Experimental Martian dirt: $20 a kilogram, plus shipping
Researchers publish recipe for Martian and asteriod simulant
Date: September 28, 2018
Source: University of Central Florida
Summary: A team of astrophysicists has developed a scientifically based, standardized method for creating Martian and asteroid soil known as simulants.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:18 pm

"Our house is a mess, so let's abandon it and build a billion dollar mansion in some other country."
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10094
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by landrew » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:20 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:06 am
Experimental Martian dirt: $20 a kilogram, plus shipping
Researchers publish recipe for Martian and asteriod simulant
Date: September 28, 2018
Source: University of Central Florida
Summary: A team of astrophysicists has developed a scientifically based, standardized method for creating Martian and asteroid soil known as simulants.
Watch that stuff turn up on Ebay as "genuine Martian soil."
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34502
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: My nightmare
Location: Transcona

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Gord » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:17 am

landrew wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:20 pm
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:06 am
Experimental Martian dirt: $20 a kilogram, plus shipping
Researchers publish recipe for Martian and asteriod simulant
Date: September 28, 2018
Source: University of Central Florida
Summary: A team of astrophysicists has developed a scientifically based, standardized method for creating Martian and asteroid soil known as simulants.
Watch that stuff turn up on Ebay as "genuine Martian soil."
Watch this space: https://www.ebay.ca/b/Mars-Hydro-Garden ... n_88393554
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 14447
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by JO 753 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:08 am

Most new thingz dont seem to make sens. Anybody can kum up with haf a duzen arguments to not explore. Naysayerz alwayz sound reazonabl befor. It takes imajination, vision, foresite and extraordinary stubbornes* to ram thru all the objectionz & obstaclez to lead us to a better furture. Then after, the naysayerz disappear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tl2Q8YLHWQ


* stubborness? stubbornis? stubbornosity? stubbornizm?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10593
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Mars Lunacy

Post by Poodle » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 am

https://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/ricetalk.htm

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

Some people have short memories.