Massive Planet outside non-planet Pluto's orbit?

What does make the world turn?
kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Massive Planet outside non-planet Pluto's orbit?

Post by kennyc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:42 pm

Distant new dwarf planet could betray a “super-Earth” beyond Pluto

Before you ask: No, the new dwarf planet discovered at the outskirts of our Sun’s sphere of influence will not be added to our list of local planets. Pluto, the famously scorned former cap to our solar system’s planetary members, is actually more than five times the size of this new satellite. It orbits more than twice as far from the Sun as Pluto, and takes more than 15 times as long (4,340 years to be exact) to complete an orbital loop. It is also, however, bigger and more unique than a simple asteroid — and its orbit is interesting for more than just its size.

Still, that size is indeed unusual. The dwarf planet Sedna is the only comparable object known, with a similarly lonely orbit far beyond that of Neptune. Both Sedna and this new body, dubbed 2012 VP113 are considered to be part of the innermost portion of the Oort Cloud, a hypothesized sphere of small, icy “planetesimal” bodies that surrounds our solar system about 50,000 times further than the distance from the Earth to the Sun (called an astronomical unit, or AU). VP113′s highly elliptical orbit takes it from about 80 to over 400 AU, which makes it very far out but still part of the far interior of the Oort Cloud.

More interesting than VP113′s mere existence, however, is the fact that its orbit seems wrong. When looking at its position and velocity, we should be able to take into account all major sources of gravity and plot the resulting orbital trajectory. However, the trajectory we actually observe is different — only slightly, but enough to trigger immediate interest. If VP113 is truly off-course, one enticing possible explanation is that there is some unknown source of gravity deforming its path.
More than just noting the disparity and moving on, researchers were able to actually calculate some broad characteristics of a body that could give rise to the particular orbit we observe for 2012 VP113. The body predicted by such analysis is extreme, roughly 10 times as massive as Earth or about as heavy as Saturn. If it exists, this giant must also orbit well beyond Pluto.

http://www.geek.com/science/distant-new ... o-1589335/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

from Nature: http://www.nature.com/news/dwarf-planet ... ge-1.14921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by kennyc on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Massive Planet outside non-planet Pluto's orbit?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks, Obama!
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Post by kennyc » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:59 pm

oh and the dwarf planet that led to this discovery has been named "Biden" after the VP. :lol:

http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/new ... joe-biden/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:57 pm

kennyc wrote:oh and the dwarf planet that led to this discovery has been named "Biden" after the VP. :lol:

http://www.sciencerecorder.com/news/new ... joe-biden/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Should have been named after that little guy in "Games of Thrones".

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Post by octopus1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:09 pm

kennyc wrote:
Distant new dwarf planet could betray a “super-Earth” beyond Pluto

Before you ask: No, the new dwarf planet discovered at the outskirts of our Sun’s sphere of influence will not be added to our list of local planets. Pluto, the famously scorned former cap to our solar system’s planetary members, is actually more than five times the size of this new satellite. It orbits more than twice as far from the Sun as Pluto, and takes more than 15 times as long (4,340 years to be exact) to complete an orbital loop. It is also, however, bigger and more unique than a simple asteroid — and its orbit is interesting for more than just its size.

Still, that size is indeed unusual. The dwarf planet Sedna is the only comparable object known, with a similarly lonely orbit far beyond that of Neptune. Both Sedna and this new body, dubbed 2012 VP113 are considered to be part of the innermost portion of the Oort Cloud, a hypothesized sphere of small, icy “planetesimal” bodies that surrounds our solar system about 50,000 times further than the distance from the Earth to the Sun (called an astronomical unit, or AU). VP113′s highly elliptical orbit takes it from about 80 to over 400 AU, which makes it very far out but still part of the far interior of the Oort Cloud.

More interesting than VP113′s mere existence, however, is the fact that its orbit seems wrong. When looking at its position and velocity, we should be able to take into account all major sources of gravity and plot the resulting orbital trajectory. However, the trajectory we actually observe is different — only slightly, but enough to trigger immediate interest. If VP113 is truly off-course, one enticing possible explanation is that there is some unknown source of gravity deforming its path.
More than just noting the disparity and moving on, researchers were able to actually calculate some broad characteristics of a body that could give rise to the particular orbit we observe for 2012 VP113. The body predicted by such analysis is extreme, roughly 10 times as massive as Earth or about as heavy as Saturn. If it exists, this giant must also orbit well beyond Pluto.

http://www.geek.com/science/distant-new ... o-1589335/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

from Nature: http://www.nature.com/news/dwarf-planet ... ge-1.14921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For those who know I'm joking - Nibiru!

For those who think I'm being serious - Not that at all.
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:28 pm

octopus1 wrote: For those who know I'm joking - Nibiru!

I know you are joking, because Nibiru is the hidden one which is merely supposed.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:59 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:

I know you are joking, because Nibiru is the hidden one which is merely supposed.
It's totally there, though. And if we find something like it, then it's not that one. It's always the next one along that we find. That's Nibiru. But not that one. The other one. No, the other one!

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:44 pm

octopus1 wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

It's totally there, though. And if we find something like it, then it's not that one. It's always the next one along that we find. That's Nibiru. But not that one. The other one. No, the other one!
Totally.
  HE KNOWS HE KNOWS I bet he's been there  
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by octopus1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:49 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
octopus1 wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

Totally.
  HE KNOWS HE KNOWS I bet he's been there  

I've been there several times. Not physically. Mushroom-ly.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:34 am

Planet X to really cause mass extinction this month?
RT‎ - 3 days ago
The elusive Planet X, or Nibiru, with its unimaginably long 27-million-year orbit, is still only a ... ---------The celestial body, theorized in many an ancient text – most notably among the Sumerians – is predicted to be 10 times our size, and is currently still thousands of times further away from us than our sun. But if the latest research is correct, something is having a skewing effect on a group of objects in the Kuiper Belt, just beyond Neptune. And it’s closing in fast.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:51 am

gorgeous wrote:Planet X to really cause mass extinction this month?
RT‎ - 3 days ago
The elusive Planet X, or Nibiru, with its unimaginably long 27-million-year orbit, is still only a ... ---------The celestial body, theorized in many an ancient text – most notably among the Sumerians – is predicted to be 10 times our size, and is currently still thousands of times further away from us than our sun. But if the latest research is correct, something is having a skewing effect on a group of objects in the Kuiper Belt, just beyond Neptune. And it’s closing in fast.
You are lying about "this month".

Daniel Whitmire is the only person who made this claim. He thinks every 27 million years, he says, Planet X passes through the Kuiper belt, and dislodges a bunch of comets that come flying toward the Sun. Earth gets caught in this crossfire.

However this is only a hypothesis based on anomalies in the distant Kuiper belt. There may be other reasons. The lack of any severe meteor destruction 27 million years ago, is a bit of negative evidence.

"The team calculated that the planet, if it’s there, would be about 10 times as massive as Earth, or roughly three times larger. That makes it a super-Earth or mini-Neptune"

Now if Earth is made of heavy elements (iron centre) and Neptune is a light element gas giant......then how can Planet X be more 10 times more massive than earth, yet only three times bigger? That doesn't make sense.

Gord? You know about astronomy? Am I right?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:56 am

gorgeous wrote:Planet X to really cause mass extinction this month?
Yes. You should leave immediately.

Quick! Hop in!

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:59 pm

why are so many scientists being killed? [ytube][/ytube]
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:29 pm

gorgeous wrote:why are so many scientists being killed?
Not killed, suicides. They're reading your posts.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:36 pm

come on....the astronomers are being murdered...

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:10 pm

gorgeous wrote:come on....the astronomers are being murdered...
One was murdered - for his cell phone and watch...

http://newsok.com/article/feed/381412

Another for who knows what...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/scien ... .html?_r=0

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:55 pm

gorgeous wrote:why are so many scientists being killed? [ytube][/ytube]
:rotfl:

"I don't understand how the Moon works! Therefore there's something wrong with the solar system!"

This is what happens when ignorant people think they're experts.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:54 pm

Nah - astronomers are immortals. Well-known fact. We have to pretend that they die in case someone catches on. Everyone would want to be an astronomer then.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:14 pm

they are dying in pairs...in odd accidents , poisoned, Schumaker's lab burnt down after his death --to hide his discoveries?.....I have lists of scientists who were murdered...wanna see?

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:16 pm

Poodle wrote:Nah - astronomers are immortals. Well-known fact. We have to pretend that they die in case someone catches on. Everyone would want to be an astronomer then.
But.. but... but - everyone is an astronomer, right? Everyone that ever gazes at the stars at night, or the sun during the day. And they all die too - some even murdered, giving gorgeous her opening to ask why, oh why?

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:24 pm

some -------------rense------Marconi Scientists Mystery In the 1980's over two dozen science graduates and experts working for Marconi or Plessey Defence Systems died in mysterious circumstances, most appearing to be suicides., The MOD denied these scientists had been involved in classified Star Wars Projects and that the deaths were in any way connected.----------- April 1983: Lt-Colonel Anthony Godley, 49 --Expertise: Head of the Work Study Unit at the Royal College of Military Science. --Circumstance of Death: Disappeared mysteriously in April 1983 without explanation. Presumed dead. ------ March 1985: Roger Hill, 49 --Expertise: Radar designer and draughtsman with Marconi. --Circumstance of Death: Died by a shotgun blast at home. --Coroner's verdict: Suicide. ----- November 19, 1985: Jonathan Wash, 29 --Expertise: Digital communications expert who had worked at GEC and at British Telecom's secret research centre at Martlesham Heath, Suffolk. --Circumstance of Death: Died as a result of falling from a hotel room in Abidjan, West Africa, while working for British Telecom. He had expressed fears that his life was in danger. --Coroner's verdict: Open. ---------- August 4, 1986: Vimal Dajibhai, 24 --Expertise: Computer software engineer with Marconi, responsible for testing computer control systems of Tigerfish and Stingray torpedoes at Marconi Underwater Systems at Croxley Green, Hertfordshire. --Circumstance of Death: Death by 74m (240ft.) fall from Clifton Suspension Bridge, Bristol. Police report on the body mentioned a needle-sized puncture wound on the left buttock, but this was later dismissed as being a result of the fall. Dajibhai had been looking forward to starting a new job in the City of London and friends had confirmed that there was no reason for him to commit suicide. At the time of his death he was in the last week of his work with Marconi. --Coroner's verdict: Open. ------- October 1986: Arshad Sharif, 26 --Expertise: Reported to have been working on systems for the detection of submarines by satellite. --Circumstance of Death: Died as a result of placing a ligature around his neck, tying the other end to a tree and then driving off in his car with the accelerator pedal jammed down. His unusual death was complicated by several issues: Sharif lived near Vimal Dajibhai in Stanmore, Middlesex, he committed suicide in Bristol and, inexplicably, had spent the last night of his life in a rooming house. He had paid for his accommodation in cash and was seen to have a bundle of high-denomination banknotes in his possession. While the police were told of the banknotes, no mention was made of them at the inquest and they were never found. In addition, most of the other guests at the rooming house worked at British Aerospace prior to working for Marconi, Sharif had also worked at British Aerospace on guided weapons technology. --Coroner's verdict: Suicide. -------------- January 1987: Richard Pugh, 37 --Expertise: MOD computer consultant and digital communications expert. --Circumstance of Death: Found dead in his flat in with his feet bound and a plastic bag over his head. Rope was tied around his body, coiling four times around his neck. --Coroner's verdict: Accident. ----------- January 12, 1987: Dr. John Brittan, 52 --Expertise: Scientist formerly engaged in top secret work at the Royal College of Military Science at Shrivenham, Oxfordshire, and later deployed in a research department at the MOD. --Circumstance of Death: Death by carbon monoxide poisoning in his own garage, shortly after returning from a trip to the US in connection with his work. --Coroner's verdict: Accident. ------------ February 1987: David Skeels, 43 --Expertise: Engineer with Marconi. --Circumstance of Death: Found dead in his car with a hosepipe connected to the exhaust. --Coroner's verdict: Open. ------ February 1987: Victor Moore, 46 --Expertise: Design Engineer with Marconi Space and Defence Systems. --Circumstance of Death: Died from an overdose. --Coroner's verdict: Suicide. -------- February 22, 1987: Peter Peapell, 46 --Expertise: Scientist at the Royal College of Military Science. He had been working on testing titanium for it's resistance to explosives and the use of computer analysis of signals from metals. --Circumstance of Death: Found dead allegedly from carbon monoxide poisoning, in his Oxfordshire garage. The circumstances of his death raised some elements of doubt. His wife had found him on his back with his head parallel to the rear car bumper and his mouth in line with the exhaust pipe, with the car engine running. Police were apparently baffled as to how he could have manoeuvred into the position in which he was found. --Coroner's verdict: Open. -------- April 1987: George Kountis age unknown. --Expertise: Systems Analyst at Bristol Polytechnic. --Circumstance of Death: Drowned the same day as Shani Warren (see below) - as the result of a car accident, his upturned car being found in the River Mersey, Liverpool. --Coroner's verdict: Misadventure. (Kountis, sister called for a fresh inquest as she thought 'things didn't add up.') ------------------ April 10, 1987: Shani Warren, 26 --Expertise: Personal assistant in a company called Micro Scope, which was taken over by GEC Marconi less than four weeks after her death. --Circumstance of Death: Found drowned in 45cm. (18in) of water, not far from the site of David Greenhalgh's death fall. Warren died exactly one week after the death of Stuart Gooding and serious injury to Greenhalgh. She was found gagged with a noose around her neck. Her feet were also bound and her hands tied behind her back. --Coroner's verdict: Open. (It was said that Warren had gagged herself, tied her feet with rope, then tied her hands behind her back and hobbled to the lake on stiletto heels to drown herself.)

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:40 pm

gorgeous wrote:some -------------rense------Marconi Scientists Mystery In the 1980's over two dozen science graduates and experts working for Marconi or Plessey Defence Systems died in mysterious circumstances........
Can you please stop copying & pasting entire pages, from the Rense Neo-Nazi Website.
http://www.rense.com/general62/sci.htm

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:53 pm

April 24, 1987: Mark Wisner, 24 --Expertise: Software engineer at the MOD. --Circumstance of Death: Found dead on in a house shared with two colleagues. He was found with a plastic sack around his head and several feet of cling film around his face. The method of death was almost identical to that of Richard Pugh some three months earlier. --Coroner's verdict: Accident. ---------- March 30, 1987: David Sands, 37 --Expertise: Senior scientist working for Easams of Camberley, Surrey, a sister company to Marconi. Dr. John Brittan had also worked at Camberley. --Circumstance of Death: Fatal car crash when he allegedly made a sudden U-turn on a dual carriageway while on his way to work, crashing at high speed into a disused cafeteria. He was found still wearing his seat belt and it was discovered that the car had been carrying additional petrol cans. None of the normal, reasons for a possible suicide could be found. --Coroner's verdict: Open. ------------- May 3, 1987: Michael Baker, 22 --Expertise: Digital communications expert working on a defence project at Plessey; part-time member of Signals Corps SAS. --Circumstance of Death: Fatal accident owhen his car crashed through a barrier near Poole in Dorset. --Coroner's verdict: Misadventure. ------------ January 1988: Russell Smith, 23 --Expertise: Laboratory technician with the Atomic Energy Research Establishment at Harwell, Essex. --Circumstance of Death: Died as a result of a cliff fall at Boscastle in Cornwall. --Coroner's verdict: Suicide. ------------ March 25, 1988: Trevor Knight, 52 --Expertise: Computer engineer with Marconi Space and Defence Systems in Stanmore, Middlesex. --Circumstance of Death: Found dead at his home in Harpenden, Hertfordshire at the wheel of his car with a hosepipe connected to the exhaust. A St.Alban's coroner said that Knight's woman friend, Miss Narmada Thanki (who also worked with him at Marconi) had found three suicide notes left by him which made clear his intentions. Miss Thanki had mentioned that Knight disliked his work but she did not detect any depression that would have driven him to suicide. --Coroner's verdict: Suicide. --------- August 1988: Alistair Beckham, 50 --Expertise: Software engineer with Plessey Defence Systems. --Circumstance of Death: Found dead after being electrocuted in his garden shed with wires connected to his body. --Coroner's verdict: Open. ---------------- August 22, 1988: Peter Ferry, 60 --Expertise: Retired Army Brigadier and an Assistant Marketing Director with Marconi. --Circumstance of Death: Found on 22nd or 23rd August 1988 electrocuted in his company flat with electrical leads in his mouth. --Coroner's verdict suicide ---------- September 1988: Andrew Hall, 33 --Expertise: Engineering Manager with British Aerospace. --Circumstance of Death: Carbon monoxide poisoning in a car with a hosepipe connected to the exhaust. --Coroner's verdict: Suicide.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:03 pm

I think that means no, she can't.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:14 pm

so..go ahead...explain away all those deaths at Marconi ^^^^

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:18 pm

gorgeous wrote:so..go ahead...explain away all those deaths at Marconi ^^^^
What is the ratio of deaths compared to say General Motors?

You see, you are so incredibly stupid, you never thought to ask the first basic question.
:lol:

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:15 am

Caltech Researchers Find Evidence of a Real Ninth Planet-------Caltech researchers have found evidence of a giant planet tracing a bizarre, highly elongated orbit in the outer solar system. The object, which the researchers have nicknamed Planet Nine, has a mass about 10 times that of Earth and orbits about 20 times farther from the sun on average than does Neptune (which orbits the sun at an average distance of 2.8 billion miles). In fact, it would take this new planet between 10,000 and 20,000 years to make just one full orbit around the sun.--------------The researchers, Konstantin Batygin and Mike Brown, discovered the planet's existence through mathematical modeling and computer simulations but have not yet observed the object directly."This would be a real ninth planet," says Brown, the Richard and Barbara Rosenberg Professor of Planetary Astronomy. "There have only been two true planets discovered since ancient times, and this would be a third. It's a pretty substantial chunk of our solar system that's still out there to be found, which is pretty exciting.----------"Brown notes that the putative ninth planet—at 5,000 times the mass of Pluto—is sufficiently large that there should be no debate about whether it is a true planet. Unlike the class of smaller objects now known as dwarf planets, Planet Nine gravitationally dominates its neighborhood of the solar system. In fact, it dominates a region larger than any of the other known planets—a fact that Brown says makes it "the most planet-y of the planets in the whole solar system."-------------------Batygin and Brown describe their work in the current issue of the Astronomical Journal and show how Planet Nine helps explain a number of mysterious features of the field of icy objects and debris beyond Neptune known as the Kuiper Belt."Although we were initially quite skeptical that this planet could exist, as we continued to investigate its orbit and what it would mean for the outer solar system, we become increasingly convinced that it is out there," says Batygin, an assistant professor of planetary science. "For the first time in over 150 years, there is solid evidence that the solar system's planetary census is incomplete." - See more at: https://www.caltech.edu/news/caltech-re ... xDLOr.dpuf

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:22 am

You feeling okay, gorgeous? No claim that the lizard people from the Ninth Planet are going to send the b'Illuminatiots back in time to blow up the WTC? Seems a bit disingenuous of you.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:41 am

Douglas Adams knew about this since 1992: the planet is called Rupert.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:28 am

A popular poll had demanded that it be called Worldy McWorldface, but this was dismissed as trivial by the United Planetary Naming Committee.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:47 am

I think it should be called Niney McNineface.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:56 am

Gord wrote:I think it should be called Niney McNineface.
Gord.

I am insulted that you did not answer my previous murkily hidden question. However, as I once lost a real Roman coin in a bet, in 1987, against , of all things, a New Zealander, over this specific question, your opinion is required as an objective third party. .

"Gas giants" have liquid cores of light elements, like hydrogen or water. Earth is a inner solar system planet, with an iron liquid core. Therefore, technically as liquids can't compress.
Earth is an example of a planet of greater core mass density than any gas giant. despite the total planet's mass and gravity?

I'm determined to get my coin back.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:32 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I am insulted that you did not answer my previous murkily hidden question.
I don't even know what's goin' on anymore.
"Gas giants" have liquid cores of light elements, like hydrogen or water. Earth is a inner solar system planet, with an iron liquid core. Therefore, technically as liquids can't compress. Earth is an example of a planet of greater core mass density than any gas giant. despite the total planet's mass and gravity?

I'm determined to get my coin back.
Liquids can compress, they just don't compress easily. If they weren't compressible, you wouldn't be able to have sound waves travel through them. It can also depend on how hot they are -- water compresses into ice when it loses thermal energy, for instance. It's got to do with intermolecular bonds and forces and stuff like that there.

And water isn't an element, it's a compound of two elements, hydrogen and oxygen.

Earth has a solid inner core and a liquid outer core...maybe. It depends on how you want to define "solid" and, um, "core". :mrgreen: The inner core has some properties of a solid -- it reflects and/or transmits seismic waves as if it were a solid.

As far as I know, the cores of gas giants aren't yet understood. They probably have solid cores made up of heavier elements, but I'm just guessing.

...What's the question again?
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:23 am

Gord wrote:...What's the question again?
Is it safe?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:17 pm

Poodle wrote:
Gord wrote:...What's the question again?
Is it safe?
Is it secret?
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Gord wrote:Liquids can compress, they just don't compress easily. If they weren't compressible, you wouldn't be able to have sound waves travel through them. It can also depend on how hot they are -- water compresses into ice when it loses thermal energy, for instance. It's got to do with intermolecular bonds and forces and stuff like that there.
Liquids can compress but they are typically understood as incompressible because they are orders of magnitude less compressible than gasses.

The phase change from liquid to solid isn't referred to as compressing, it's just called freezing.

And water is an especially tricky liquid to talk about

Depending on the temperature of the liquid water an increase in its pressure may result in freezing it into Class III, V, VI, or VII ice, each of which have different ice phases.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:11 pm

Yeah! I almost went looking for that chart, but then I remembered how lazy I was so I didn't.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Core mass Planets.

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:41 pm

OK boys and girls........ I may have a wrong concept in my head......but I thought.....

When solar systems form, the heavy elements are found closer to the centre and the lighter elements in the outer orbits.....

therefore

Outer orbit Gas giants are almost exclusively made up of light elements. Additionally liquids can't be compressed

therefore

Earth and any inner planet with an iron core (solid or liquid) are always going to have a denser core than a gas giant, regardless of the total mass of the gas giant.

Is this still correct today?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:21 am

I'll say yes. But it's not strictly known to be true. A gas giant is really big, so it could have a lower overall density while still having a larger solid mass core than an inner planet. For instance, Jupiter's mass is over 300 times that of Earth's, but its volume is 1300 times that of Earth's, so it's overall density is less than a quarter of Earth's. I don't know much about Jupiter's core (I don't think we even thought it had a core when I was in university!) but if it has a solid core it could be bigger and denser than Earth's and yet Jupiter's overall density could still be lower. But all that liquid hydrogen, man! I don't know what happens to a solid core at that pressure when surrounded by liquid hydrogen.

Wait, I forgot about JUNO!

Aw damn: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/where

Juno's not there yet.
Juno is slated to arrive at the gas giant planet on July 4, 2016, at 8:35 p.m. PDT (Earth Received Time).
We should learn more about Jupiter's core from Juno.

Aw, now ya done made me go googlin' again.

http://www.universetoday.com/14470/does ... olid-core/
The answer to ”does Jupiter have a solid core” is that the planet has a core that contains some rock and hydrogen metals. Scientists are not sure if deep within the planet there is a solid core or not....

...Current theory holds that the core region is surrounded by dense metallic hydrogen. The layer extends to the 78th percentile of the planet’s radius. Just above the layer of metallic hydrogen is an interior atmosphere of hydrogen. The hydrogen at this point is at a temperature where there are no distinct liquid and gas phases, so the hydrogen is in a supercritical fluid state. The temperature and pressure increase steadily toward the core. In the region where hydrogen becomes metallic, it is believed the temperature is 10,000 K and the pressure is 200GPa. The temperature at the core boundary is estimated to be 36,000 K with a corresponding pressure of 3,000 to 4,500 Gpa....
Liquid metallic hydrogen is freaky cool, man....
The JUNO space mission is scheduled to be launched on August, 5, 2011 and should arrive in orbit around Jupiter in 2016. The purpose of the mission is to orbit the poles and clear up some of the mysteries surrounding the question “does Jupiter have a solid core?”
Here's hoping! :good:
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:27 am

Gord wrote:Aw, now ya done made me go googlin' again.
:jaded: Just when I think I'm out, I get pulled back in again. Twelve tabs open. But I have to go do laundry and clean the kitchen and GAH I was going to take a nap an hour ago! I have to go out tonight at 9:00 and I won't be home until 2:00 and GAH! GAH!!
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?