Google Chromebook

What does make the world turn?
JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Google Chromebook

Post by JO 753 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:32 am

I'm on wun rite now. I'm liking it already. Plugged a wireless mouse in earlier and it didnt work, so I wuz thinking it woud never work kuz its only Windowz compatible, or I'd hav to go thru sum stupid hassle installing driverz or patchez.

But no. Now its working! Fixed itself like majik.

Nice to hav a full size screen agen.

Cant find wut the font format iz tho. Krome duznt support ttf, so I need to tranzlate my fonts in order to type proper nooalf.

Wun uv their advertizing points iz that theze computerz never slow down. My sistr haz had wun since the beginning uv this yir and it still runz perfectly.

This coud be the end for Windowz. I wundr how Mac and Linux will be affected.

Poodle
Has No Life
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Re: Google Chromebook

Post by Poodle » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:07 am

I have no personal experience of Chromebook, but I've read a few things. It may be an old complaint now, Jo, but I'd check how the machine likes working offline if I were you.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Post by kennyc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:39 am

I've been tempted by Chromebooks but have not bought in yet. I've tried out much of the google offerings etc. The killer for me is being able to work independently of the internet, store and back up files locally etc.

If you are heavy into word process or photography or other such computer tasks I don't think it's there yet, but if you just want to get on line store a few docs or pics or etc. then it's wonderful. Better than a tablet - which I have several versions of (Kindle, Xoom, Kindle Fire) or phone(generally too small of a screen but okay in a pinch)...
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:40 am

I had one briefly and took it back. the look of it was cool, the feel if it was lacking.

My biggest complaint with its engineering was the cheap feel; though the form factor was perfect, I doubted greatly it was last two years.

My biggest complaint with the operation was crappy video; the flash interface was lacking.

It was almost a win but not quite. It's a good mechanism if all you want to do is surf the web and don't mind being intricately tied to the evil that is now Google.

I would not discourage someone from buying it so long as they understood the limitations.
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:44 pm

Poodle wrote: It may be an old complaint now, Jo, but I'd check how the machine likes working offline if I were you.

That's the second most polite way I've heard someone tell somebody to get lost. The first was a long time ago. A girl I was dating broke up with me. I showed up at her place, and she gave me a pint of ice cream, said we were through, and when I tried to ask her what was wrong, she said, " You better get home before your ice cream melts."

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:48 pm

fromthehills wrote:
Poodle wrote: It may be an old complaint now, Jo, but I'd check how the machine likes working offline if I were you.

That's the second most polite way I've heard someone tell somebody to get lost. The first was a long time ago. A girl I was dating broke up with me. I showed up at her place, and she gave me a pint of ice cream, said we were through, and when I tried to ask her what was wrong, she said, " You better get home before your ice cream melts."
:lol:
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:53 pm

fromthehills wrote:

Do you have a chrome book or any knowledge of it or are you taking posting lessons from Norma?
Kenny A. Chaffin

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:59 pm

kennyc wrote:
fromthehills wrote:

Do you have a chrome book or any knowledge of it or are you taking posting lessons from Norma?
Aw, poor baby. Did I piss in your coffee cup with my humorous aside?

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Did you hav an Acer, Rob? The first wun Amazon sent had been at least tried out for a few minits, but repacked & sent back. I woudnt care so much except they left the password in it, making it unuzable!

I hav an inkling about the web dependency youre talking about, Poodle. No printer port and it sez sumthing about cloud ready printer. Suppoze to hav wifi & so duz my printer, but I havent tried to link them that way yet. My previous netbook also had wifi and that wuz a waste uv time, so I'm not iching to waste more, not being immortal.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Post by Daedalus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:43 pm

I'll never forget the first Acer I took apart, back in the early Pentium days. I swear, that thing was constructed from shoestrings and gum, by a blind man.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:12 am

The construction uv this wun seemz fine so far.

1 demerit: The keybord haz lower case lettering; not az distinctive az UPPER CASE. Not an issue if you touch type, but I'm a 2 finger turtle and hav to look occasionally.

Altho I am uzing the mouse, their touchpad input method iz very good. It works way better than the pad + 2 buttonz on the Toshiba.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Post by Daedalus » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:18 am

JO 753 wrote:The construction uv this wun seemz fine so far.

1 demerit: The keybord haz lower case lettering; not az distinctive az UPPER CASE. Not an issue if you touch type, but I'm a 2 finger turtle and hav to look occasionally.

Altho I am uzing the mouse, their touchpad input method iz very good. It works way better than the pad + 2 buttonz on the Toshiba.
Well to be fair, it's been a while since Pentiums were all the rage, so a lot could have changed with Acer and I'd never know it.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Martin Brock » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:20 am

I've had a Samsung Chromebook for about a year, and I'm very happy with it. It's now my primary personal computer, though I also have several Windows laptops, a Mac and an Android tablet at home. Chrome OS is very functional for my personal needs, and I have no trouble using it offline, though I'm rarely offline in fact. I develop software for a living, and I've developed software for Chrome OS (web applications) exclusively on the Chromebook. This application was my benchmark for success when I bought one.
People associating freely respect norms of their choice, and relationships governed this way are necessarily interdependent.

More central authorities conquer by dividing, imposing norms channeling the value of synergy toward themselves.

"Every man for himself" is the prescription of a state, not a free community. A state protects the poor from the rich only in fairy tales.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:40 am

Alot uv companyz start out az price advantaj extreemists, then tranzition to actual products. Unfortunately the most popular parameter iz price, so molding {!#%@} into the shape uv a computer, brake caliper, chair, etc and painting it, then uzing the rapidly accumulating fundz to atract capital and acquire production fasilityz iz a viable biz plan.

Found out that Krome uzez WOFF fonts, wich I never herd uv before. They are flattened & fried ttf or otf in a kiazer roll with mayo rapped in a tortilla. Converterz are still not quite reddy to let you actually put a WOFF in your computer and type with it yet. http://ttf2woff.com/ and another site appeared to do it, but then it didnt work.

I hav a development idea, Martin. Picture fonts. Its been done alredy, sorta, but since I dont see them springing up everywhere, I suspect it haznt been done well. The company that made the haf baked font software I hav offerz sumthing that duz foto fonts for 500$.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:32 am

A few thingz arent irnd owt yet. I wanted to upload a file in a folder and it woudnt open the folder.

Still no luck with the fonts. Its looking like you don't store them on the computer at all. Any advice on this, Martin?

It wont work with the online html editor, Just showz the text paje a little better than the text editor.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am

You can plug a dvd drive up to it, but you cant do anything with it. I wanted to put sum WIndowz 7 recovery junk on a dvd to hopefuly fix my Toshiba, but therez nothing like the 'Computer' thing like in Windowz to access anything hooked up to the machine!

So I put a movie in the drive.

A window pops up but it only lists the filez on the disc; It will not play the movie.

Found out for sure that you cant install fonts in the computer. Google haz a bunch uv fonts you can uze online, but wut happenz wen you arent online?

Wuts starting to pan out here iz that they are putting all their efforts into this cloud deal. The Chrome PC iz not much more than a terminal. I dont know why they bothered to put a 340gig hd in this thing.

Not liking it so much now.

Maybe the basic OS iz better than Windowz or Mac or Linux, but rite now its not even haf baked. More like 1/10.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:09 am

JO 753 wrote:...Google haz a bunch uv fonts you can uze online, but wut happenz wen you arent online?
Google's mindset is that you're always on line. Not too far from the truth for many.
The Chrome PC iz not much more than a terminal. I dont know why they bothered to put a 340gig hd in this thing.
That's why I returned my in very short order. For only a third more in price, I could have a full-blown laptop that also ran chrome.

If they would flesh out the functionality, it could someday be worthy.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:13 pm

If they dont get it fixed soon, they coud end up like Amiga.

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:35 am

Earth to Google...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-576066 ... ainstream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kenny A. Chaffin

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:47 am

That wuz a silly article. Its like he'z saying they failed already kuz they only hav 5% market share after 3 yirz.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:47 pm

I agree. They're very well-positioned here. This isn't a business machine, it's a 'surfing' machine. For the production-minded, purely in-the-cloud apps are becoming more and more common, not less, so it will be more useful with time, not less. Interfacing with hardware like printers is currently a problem, but google has a built in solution called cloud print. And most every mid-range printer sold today is Cloud Print Ready. On-board 'drivers' are becoming so yesterday.

It wouldn't [didn't] work for me but it might in the future. I can envision it as a 'couch' machine in a few years.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:54 am

They seem to be isolating themselvez. Cant find any connection to the actual company for help. Its just a maze leading back to FAQ and very disconnected forumz.

Az bad az Windowz iz, you could alwayz get in touch with Microsoft in email, instant message or even on the fone.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:04 am

phone support is expensive. it would eat into profits.

so they add 'friction' in the hopes that you'll resolve the issue your own [damn] self.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/t ... er/1342028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that's the first step. in theory you'll eventually talk to a real human. but i don't trust the theory.

You'll probably get called by some volunteer that worships at the church of google.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:23 am

Youd think Youtube woud wrk prfectly with this. Its stalling now. Gets to the next video and just stops & wont start.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:45 am

Can't speak for the freezing bit but choppy video was a primary reason I returned my so quickly.

there's something weird about Linux-based os's and flash video

Some software guy explained it to me once but my eyes pretty quickly glazed over and I went into auto-head-nod-uh-huh mode.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Linux based? I thot Chrome and Android were completely new OSez.

Mine playz the videoz perfectly wen it playz them. I've alwayz had problemz with 'play all' on Youtube. Before with Windowz it would get so far down my list uv favorites and then start repeating a shrinking number uv vidz, finally settling on 1 to repeat over & over. Especially in 'shuffle' mode - it really liked Thriller.

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Martin Brock » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:35 pm

JO 753 wrote:Linux based? I thot Chrome and Android were completely new OSez.
Both are based on a Linux kernel, but neither incorporate GNU application software, so they aren't conventional Linux distributions. Both have a command line environment if you know how to access it.

Chrome OS itself is derived from an open source project called Chromium OS, though Google uses a quasi-private version of the Chromium source code for its Chrome OS products. In principle, you can get the source and build your own Chromium OS machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_OS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
People associating freely respect norms of their choice, and relationships governed this way are necessarily interdependent.

More central authorities conquer by dividing, imposing norms channeling the value of synergy toward themselves.

"Every man for himself" is the prescription of a state, not a free community. A state protects the poor from the rich only in fairy tales.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:32 am

Wanted to grab sum html code to put on a usb drive to transfer to another computer. Cant do it. Its like a very basic elementary function. :roll:

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:11 pm

JO 753 wrote:Wanted to grab sum html code to put on a usb drive to transfer to another computer. Cant do it. Its like a very basic elementary function. :roll:
This link discusses this issue.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 5delQQ7A5g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is an interesting roadblock. <--and roadblock is what I think it is.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:32 pm

Interesting, and like I sed befor, :roll:
They forgot to put weelz on this buggy.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Froze up a few minits ago. Had to pull the battery. So the claim that its imune iz debunked. Not sure if that specific claim wuz ever made, but it lojikly extrapolates frum 'never slowz down' sins stopping completely iz like the slowest possible slowdown.

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Martin Brock » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:32 am

JO 753 wrote:Wanted to grab sum html code to put on a usb drive to transfer to another computer. Cant do it. Its like a very basic elementary function. :roll:
I just saved this page (from this Skeptic Forum thread) on my Chromebook (Samsung 303c, $249), copied the .mhtml file to a USB drive, carried the USB drive to my Windows 7 laptop, then returned to the Chromebook, connected to the Windows 7 laptop via Chrome Remote Desktop, opened the USB drive, copied the .mtml file to my Windows desktop, started the Chrome browser on the Windows laptop and opened the .mhtml file on the Windows laptop. It looks great.

Of course, I could have opened the file directly on the Windows laptop. Accessing the Windows laptop from Chrome Remote Desktop is practically identical to sitting in front of the Windows laptop, except for a little lag. I often leave my Windows laptop (my work computer) in Always On mode and take the Chromebook (which is much smaller and lighter) with me. Wherever I have WiFi, I practically have my Windows laptop (sitting on my desk at home) with me as well.

Before I had the Chromebook, I often carried an Android tablet with me. Now, the Chromebook is my mobile device. I have a great tablet carrier that fits the Chromebook like a glove. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Protec-Sling-Othe ... 007UHFVZU/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:25 am

So wut dont I know? Iz there a button to press, a drop down option, a 'enable copying' option or sum such that I need to do?

I tryed to get sum jpegz last week & they appeared to be on the usb drive, but they were 0 kbytes.

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Martin Brock » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:58 am

JO 753 wrote:So wut dont I know? Iz there a button to press, a drop down option, a 'enable copying' option or sum such that I need to do?

I tryed to get sum jpegz last week & they appeared to be on the usb drive, but they were 0 kbytes.
I saved the page using "Save page as..." on the Chrome menu (upper right corner of the browser window). The file then is in my Downloads folder. After plugging in the USB drive, I click on the file in the Downloads folder, right click and select Copy. Then I select the USB drive and click Paste. Right clicking over an image and saving works similarly. I just saved your avatar.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:35 am

I'll haf to try agen. Alwayz been a drag&drop guy, but copy/paste iz OK too.

And trust me - my avatar can take care uv himself.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:03 am

Sumthingz going rong & wierd.

This thing wuz getting slower & slower very gradually - for about a year at least. Over the last month or so its been taking a long time to load sum sites and the basic controlz were getting sluggish. Finally yesterday I uploaded a vid to Youtube and it wuz running terribl. Wen I looked at the vid afterward, it wuz redused a seriez uv stillz with the audio playing fine. Maybe it wuz time to give this thing a break, so I turned it off and came back later.

Then I coudnt get past the loggin.

Opened it up. cleaned a little lint out uv the fan, looked at stuff. Didnt help.

Then I logged in az 'gest' and its like new. I ran 4 Youtube vidz at the same time with not a hint uv delay.

So my Uzer account iz broken???? :?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:26 am

There is a reason that they dropped the `Don`t be evil` motto.... :roll:

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:57 pm

They discovered being evil iz more fun?
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

JO 753
Has No Life

Post by JO 753 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:59 pm

I did the powerwash. I'll find out on sum future day wether it worked or not. For now, its working fine and I will just stay sined in.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:00 am

JO 753 wrote:They discovered being evil iz more fun?
They looked in a mirror....