John Chang- how does he do this?

How should we think about weird things?
Logomachist

John Chang- how does he do this?

Post by Logomachist » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:41 pm

A friend of mine showed me this video on "John Chang," a guy who seems to biologically generate and control an abnormal amount of electricity.

What do you guys think? Is he legit? How does he do it?

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Re: John Chang- how does he do this?

Post by Flash » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:30 am

How does he do what? How do you know the video maker is not in cahoots with the fabulous John?
The guy can resist bullets, pushes chopsticks through the dinner table, generates electricity. Looks like a first class con man. And it's all "meditation". Let him go the Amazing Randi and try his stuff there. Then make a video. I bet the fabulous John could only use his chop sticks to eat his chop sui and be a little embarrassed.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Logomachist

You seem to start out with the assumption that the video is

Post by Logomachist » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:18 am

I don't understand your cynicism. If the video is to be believed, John Chang sought out a filmmaker he knew to demonstrate his abilities. That's understandable and it's what a lot of people would do if they wanted something filmed. I don't see anything in the video that suggests that it's fake, do you?

Your response, to me, sounds like a glorified version of "I won't believe it until it happens to someone I know."

Stimpson J. Cat
Poster

Post by Stimpson J. Cat » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:53 am

I don't understand your cynicism.
There is a difference between cynicism and common sense. Just because somebody is not incredibly gullible does not make them a cynic.
If the video is to be believed, John Chang sought out a filmmaker he knew to demonstrate his abilities. That's understandable and it's what a lot of people would do if they wanted something filmed. I don't see anything in the video that suggests that it's fake, do you?
How about the fact that what he is doing in the film violates the laws of physics? Wouldn't you agree that this suggests that it is fake?

I wonder, if I sent you a video of myself performing physically impossible miracles, what would you consider to be the most reasonable explanation? That I faked it, or that I really can perform miracles?

If you were in a Jury for a murder trial, and the prosocution proved (using scientific evidence) that the defendant was guilty, would you argue that there is nothing to suggest that he is guilty? What if the defendant argues that he was framed by somebody who used powers similar to those of John Chang to frame him? Would you consider that to be reasonable doubt?

Dr. Stupid
A poke in the eye makes Baby Jesus cry.

Electric Monk
Regular Poster

Post by Electric Monk » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Logomachist wrote:What do you guys think? Is he legit? How does he do it?
On first viewing, Chang appears to be doing a few simple carnival tricks:

1. "Generating electricity" - this is normally done with the use of a small high-frequency, high-voltage, low-amperage device taped to the performer's body. James Randi mentions this device here, regarding others who have done this:
Randi wrote:This “chi” scam artist on YouTube is probably using the very same setup as the Malaysian crook did, a small battery-powered device worn on the body that develops very high voltage at very low amperage, that can be directed from the body of the performer to anything that’s at a lower potential than he is. It’s a form of Tesla coil, and it’s very effective. There’s also a rabbi in New York using this same gimmick to convince the faithful…
2. Catching a "rifle bullet" - what is shown is the firing of a very low-speed pellet that can pierce the wall of an empty soda can. Then, Chang puts his hand in front of the gun. He is in no danger, and there does not appear to be anything extraordinary about what he is doing.

3. Moving a knife - Chang carefully balances a knife on its sheath. It is shown moving slightly in one direction, twice. With such a precariously-balanced object, the slightest breeze will move it readily. All Chang has to do is wait a bit. In the first movement, he has his mouth close to the knife, "talking" to it. In the second, he has leaned back, so either he's caught a breeze, or he started the knife in a position that would naturally swing away, or else he's using his knee (either one would work, but it's hard to tell from that angle which, if either, is in position), to slightly lift the glass tabletop.

4. "Fooling the experts" - they have a CEO, a doctor, and a physicist. They really needed an electrical engineer. They try to use an ordinary volt meter. If he's using the high-frequency device, of course they will not get readings from this! Some experts they are! :) Maybe they actually do use the metal detector on his back and feet to check for the device, but this is not shown. :roll: Chang seems to be flexing his back to produce his electricity. I would check between his shoulder blades. I mean, they strip him almost naked, but they let him leave his shirt on?!? Oh, and the color-changing LEDs have different colors depending on the direction of the current, not the amount.

5. "Chopstick through the table" - has anything ever looked more like a set-up magic trick? First, he takes them to his local restaurant. Then he can't make the "chi" work on Formica, so he needs to use the bottom of the table. This trick requires nothing more than a cheap table with a seam in the wood.

As miracles go, I can't say I'm impressed.

--James
ancora imparo

NeroXIV
Regular Poster

Re: You seem to start out with the assumption that the video is

Post by NeroXIV » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:46 pm

Logomachist wrote:If the video is to be believed, ...
If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

ruprecht
Regular Poster

Post by ruprecht » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:41 am

How's your uncle doing these days ?
"call me "RainCheck"... cause I don't fade away" ..V.M.