How close are we to deep dive / full immersion VR?

How should we think about weird things?
Obsessed_With_Gaming

How close are we to deep dive / full immersion VR?

Post by Obsessed_With_Gaming » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:38 am

Will it happen within our lifetime ( in 30-70 years)?

By using Elon Musk's Neuralink (Neural Lace 2039???) ,NerveGear, exo-skeletons, OpenWorld VR maybe?

And if we were to achieve this would anyone still want to live in the real world apart from people who are maintaining the system and certain religious groups?(or at least take breaks from full dive VR)

And is VR a replacement for reality? As in will people still want to go outside?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: How close are we to deep dive / full immersion VR?

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:18 am

Obsessed_With_Gaming wrote: And is VR a replacement for reality? As in will people still want to go outside?
Virtual reality cannot accurately simulate gravity, momentum or inertia of both the body and manipulated objects. it will always feel fake compared to the real world.

It is also my opinion that as virtual reality can simulate sexual contact it will always remain second to other real methods of people seeking sex. It does seem obvious to me that the biggest use of entertainment computer advancements have been related to sex rather than gaming.

Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Post by Cadmusteeth » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:39 am

Funny how that works out.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:28 am

Can VR feed you? Can you take a VR bath? Can you use a VR toilet? Can VR keep you warm, or cool?

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:35 am

Even today's VR tech is sufficient to cause you to suspend your disbelief, even if the graphics are obviously not life-like. The trick is that with a VR rig, you don't see and hear anything BUT the simulation, making your mind accept what you see as a kind of real.
I do think that VR will provide a low-budget, low environmental impact alternative for long-distance vacations. And I do see Celebs raking in cash from wearing 360° bodycams and feeding their vids to their subscribers.