Bruce Lee Myths

How should we think about weird things?
SEG
Poster
Custom Title: The Deacon of Doubt

Bruce Lee Myths

Post by SEG » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:53 am

As I play competitive table tennis, my FB friends keep sending me this video of Bruce Lee apparently playing against two experts with a pair of nunchucks:

I wonder how many other "feats" of his were fake? I know that he didn't compete in martial arts tournaments and that he did charge people to learn how to do the Cha Cha on cruises. I'm not sure whether they had to slow down the camera to capture his fighting techniques or whether they actually sped it up.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Bruce Lee Myths

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:09 am

Yeah....I don't believe hoomans are capable of that precision.....no matter how long they train? I believe you could hit the ball fairly easy....but not return it with accuracy? Also, the physics of the ping pong ball being hit with a nun-chuck rather than a rubber covered paddle would be damaging?

I never saw this video at the time.......before the internet was known for its spoofing?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:03 am

Standard movie technique for fight scenes is to slow the camera, so that the actors can carry out carefully choreographed moves quite slowly (so as to get them perfect), and when the movie sequence is shown at standard frames per second, it looks as if their moves are done at lightning speed.

Same for westerns, to show a quick draw duel.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:33 am

SEG wrote: I wonder how many other "feats" of his were fake?
Bruce Lee died in 1973. The "Bruce Lee Nokia ping pong" TVC advertisement is from 2008.

Are you asking us if some television advertisements are fake and not factual documentaries?
:lol:

SEG
Poster

Post by SEG » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:25 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Yeah....I don't believe hoomans are capable of that precision.....no matter how long they train?
I can tell as a player that it is obviously fake. You don't hit balls like that with a good racket with rubber, let alone a wooden set of nunchucks. The the ball trajectories and bounces are wrong.
I believe you could hit the ball fairly easy....but not return it with accuracy? Also, the physics of the ping pong ball being hit with a nun-chuck rather than a rubber covered paddle would be damaging?
Correct.
I never saw this video at the time.......before the internet was known for its spoofing?
Yes you are right again, this was a marketing ploy by Nokia in 2008 intended to go viral.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

SEG
Poster

Post by SEG » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:28 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Standard movie technique for fight scenes is to slow the camera, so that the actors can carry out carefully choreographed moves quite slowly (so as to get them perfect), and when the movie sequence is shown at standard frames per second, it looks as if their moves are done at lightning speed.

Same for westerns, to show a quick draw duel.
Yes the Jackie Chan movies were also a good example of this, but they reckon that BL kicked and moved so fast that they had to slow down the camera so the audience could see it. I find that hard to believe.
Last edited by SEG on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:31 am

In order to fully appreciate Kentucky Fried Movie one must first see Bruce Lee's Enter, the Dragon.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

SEG
Poster

Post by SEG » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:37 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
SEG wrote: I wonder how many other "feats" of his were fake?
Bruce Lee died in 1973. The "Bruce Lee Nokia ping pong" TVC advertisement is from 2008.

Are you asking us if some television advertisements are fake and not factual documentaries?
:lol:
No I was wondering about his 1" punch and use of weaponry.