Latest Fad Diet: Seems reputable to Me-----?

How should we think about weird things?
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Latest Fad Diet: Seems reputable to Me-----?

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:19 pm

The last "diet" I dipped into was the zone diet because it made sense. And like all diets...."if you stick to it" it works. I paired it with a walking program and lost and kept off about 30 pounds for two years....then my genetics and lifestyle took over. I think i avoided any you-yo dieting though which is the worst AND I did learn some diet facts that have been usefull everywhere else.

So...today I finally watched the anti-lectin diet pushed by Dr. Steven Gundry. Like all diets....it makes sense. It is new and "revolutionary" and not proven. What it does have going for it though is Dr Gundry. The guy is a real expert. I absolutely believe he believes it. And he looks in good shape.

Its the kind of diet that if I had sensitivities of any kind....I would give it a try....but I love everything on the forbidden list. If I KNEW the diet would add healthy years to my life....I'd be encouraged to try it....but absent that proof...just another diet?

I am torn only because the guy has golden resume, but he is selling his idea with more hokum than I like, just like every other diet guru---except he is giving away his advice for free. Just more credibility. Surem, 1or 2 books written just as he should...but no meals delivered to your house and so forth. No copper bracelets.

Just how do we accept a new idea.....even if just to try. I did cut out salt: felt no difference. I have cut out most sugar and soft drinks...feel no difference. But I have every risk factor for diabetes and don't have it....every risk factor except no family history of it.

What to believe? His needlessly long video is here and you can't skip forward but at least he does actually get to the point. http://cutyourcravings.com/180405B.php?n=aff

A quick review from other docs here: https://www.healthline.com/health/lecti ... diet#risks

I do "believe" diet is important. Maybe not "for me" as I am so dog gone healthy.....but I could lose a few pounds.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Re: Latest Fad Diet: Seems reputable to Me-----?

Post by Aztexan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:25 pm

I tried a one month diet and I lost 30 days!
trump is Putin's bitch

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:30 pm

diet is the key. Diets are bad to the degree they imply or result in a yo-yo pattern, which most do. The better concept is "life style change" and those happen only rarely.....most effectively on fear of death. When you've never been sick like me.....hard to justify giving up what I like: chilli beans with cheese toast?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Not gonna "change" but I will shift to having more prebiotics.....let them fight it out with the lectins.

https://drjockers.com/top-33-prebiotic-foods/

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Oops....I'm listening the second time around. I think I made a cup of coffee (good for you) near the end of the video. Yes.....our stellar doc is hawking his own brand of pills. Sad. I do wonder if he is still on staff anywhere? Ha, ha.

So.....I am biased in favor of real expert opinion......biased against people hawking a product.

My takeaway: add prebiotics to your diet.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Could be a coincidence...but within one hour of googling the anti-lectin diet....I get an email from the Shark Tank for their claptrap product.

Note the difference: no information, testimonials from Movie Stars. What are the odds?

http://www.insiderketodiet.com/?sub_id= ... 31a5fd114d

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:57 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:.My takeaway: add prebiotics to your diet.
Why?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:03 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:.My takeaway: add prebiotics to your diet.
Why?
I'm willing to accept that our micro-biom is under assault by our modern diet. Spenda, other artificial sweetners, preservatives and so forth. The video says we have nine times the number of microbes as human cells in the skin bag we inhabit. We could not live without them....so why not make them happy?

Not arduous or expensive or special to do. From the Link:

Onions
Leeks
Radishes
Carrots
Coconut Meat & Flour
Flax and Chia Seeds
Tomatoes
Bananas
Garlic
Chicory Root
Dandelion Greens
Jerusalem Artichoke
Jicama
Asparagus
Yams

Only thing I don't alread eat is Dandelion Greens. I loaded up on Onions years ago for their general health benefits. Don't like the taste of Tumeric...but maybe I should find a brand that works? Note that tomatoes are very lectin...and I'm not going to scoop out the seeds....or maybe I will?

My toughest nut is artificial sweetner. Oh, what the heck...last time I went with stevia....I thought it was near tasteless?

Pros and cons to all we do.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:06 pm

As per the video: don't confuse PRO biotics with PRE biotics. Two different things.....

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Pre's are things which supposedly encourage bacteria to multiply; pro's are the beasties themselves. The result, in the gut, may not be much different in that the additions {!#%@} with the normal balance in the colon. {!#%@} with the normal balance does not have measureable long term health benefits.

On the contrary, it likely makes things worse.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:15 pm

Oleg: yes, that is what the video says. Write back if you are not agreeing that taking PRE'S can't do any harm?