Ideological Possession

How should we think about weird things?
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Ideological Possession

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:21 am

I haven't thought about this enough to have an opinion on whether it is a new or useful term or concept (You tell me.), but ya gotta love the name. :mrgreen:
https://fee.org/articles/the-diagnosis- ... ossession/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Re: Ideological Possession

Post by OutOfBreath » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:05 am

A zealot is a zealot. Whether the cause be religious, ideological or football.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:13 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:A zealot is a zealot. Whether the cause be religious, ideological or football.

Peace
Dan
Yes, but there are only the occasional knife stabbings at college football games or the slaying of referees in futbol matches, while religious and nationalist conflicts kill zillions of people every year.

Local pride regarding the best futbol team, best food, best wine, etc. can be friendly, but nationalism/patriotism and religiosity might actually qualify as conspiracies; conspiracies to beggar thy neighbor. (This is a new looney conspiracy theory for me.)

Actually, Ideological Possession doesn't sound much different than what Eric Hoffer described in The True Believer, 1951, and it's possible that this new term may be kind of tongue-in-cheek.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

AmeliaMichelle
Poster
Custom Title: And Or Theory

Post by AmeliaMichelle » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:49 pm

you don't need free will to be against epistemic normativity...it's something I heard once, so it must be true, so, any response will be used in either animism or pantheism to prove nothing. not to be anti-humanist or anything, I am a humanitarian.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:18 pm

:shock: If vegetarians eat vegetables, then humanitarians eat?
trump is Putin's bitch

AmeliaMichelle
Poster
Custom Title: And Or Theory

Post by AmeliaMichelle » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:56 pm

omnomnom...not at liberty to say

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Possession is 9 tenths of the law.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero