Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

How should we think about weird things?
User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:18 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Whats amusing to me is that once you "accept" the definition of a word/concept....most arguments, and all honest arguments, will go away.

Relevantly here, Teleonomy is DEFINED as an apparent phenomenon which is just another way of stating it is about false perceptions. To say "2.) Teleonomy concerns purpose in the realm of science/objectivity, instead of religion/subjectivity." is simply a falsification of the definition that is NOT BEING FOLLOWED.

There are many ways to describe the well known fallacies being presented here, many already referenced above and continuously ignored/dismissed/equivocated/manipulated. EM cleverly, humorously, and insightfully coins the term "computronium" and you demonstrate your disengagement by asking from which source did he derive that conclusion. In "my" life, that is a dishonest response.....apparently made as some part of a game. Thats fine, several people here play several types of games. Game Theory is another "....omy" to dissect this meaningless universe we are a part of.

I didn't catch this was APPARENTLY a ruse to inoculate the fine minds here with thoughts of Intelligent Design....but it fits. Is that the purpose of this TELEOLOGICAL argument?==>because it is not a scientific one. The strong tell for that is any reference to entropy or thermodynamics. Religion: a constant amusement to me that it claims as much of the magesterium of science that it can: a lie wrapping itself in truth. A very purposeful engagement, apparently.
1.) You entered this discussion with the teleological argument on your mind, and you proceed to argue against it, regardless of the reality that the Op does not concern such an argument. (This is why I installed the reminder in the OP, apperently to no avail!)

2.) Whether or not you admit it, teleonomy concerns science, rather than religion. You ought to be able to update your mind, given new evidence.

Otherwise what do you gain by arguing against something the OP doesn't concern?

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:28 pm

No.

A confabulating theist for sure.....aka....full of it....dishonest and manipulative.....not to be redundant.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4725
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by ElectricMonk » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:46 pm

Man, I wish I had come up with the term.
I got it from a Charles Stross book, but it originates with two MIT researchers.

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4725
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by ElectricMonk » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 pm

_exit wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:Exit, do you claim that consciousness is based on more than just computation?
From which source did you supposedly derive that conclusion?
In which debate-Kindergarden have you learned to answer with a question when a simple yes or no would have been appropriate?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:16 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Man, I wish I had come up with the term.
I got it from a Charles Stross book, but it originates with two MIT researchers.
Ha, ha.....I thought my phrasing would draw the source from you, if not yourself. I still give you credit for remembering it and using it. It so totally fits...whether it is supposed to or not? First time I ever heard the term, so why not?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:58 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
_exit wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:Exit, do you claim that consciousness is based on more than just computation?
From which source did you supposedly derive that conclusion?
In which debate-Kindergarden have you learned to answer with a question when a simple yes or no would have been appropriate?
I had to inquire upon whether you were responding to the correct thread.

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:01 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:No.

A confabulating theist for sure.....aka....full of it....dishonest and manipulative.....not to be redundant.
What do you gain by calling an atheist a theist?

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:19 am

Wut?....again!?!?!?????? It doesn't really matter what you ARE. You post as a theist, with all attendant and well known characteristics.

Just ............look.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:20 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:Man, I wish I had come up with the term.
I got it from a Charles Stross book, but it originates with two MIT researchers.
Ha, ha.....I thought my phrasing would draw the source from you, if not yourself. I still give you credit for remembering it and using it. It so totally fits...whether it is supposed to or not? First time I ever heard the term, so why not?
1.) If you're interested in computronium, you may be interested in Max Tegmark's recent book, "life 3.0", where he discuses computronium in addition to other stuff.

2.) Here's a quora answer of mine (written in October 2017), that gives a quick overview of Tegmark's book.
Last edited by _exit on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:25 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Wut?....again!?!?!?????? It doesn't really matter what you ARE. You post as a theist, with all attendant and well known characteristics.

Just ............look.
See my invention, non-beliefism.

I didn't merely stop at being atheistic, I questioned the very concept of belief.

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:36 am

Thanks exit. I did review your link. I have been to Jamaica twice. First time to get drunk, second time to collect ferns (and get drunk). Good times. Did very much prefer the less developed rurual areas over Kingston...but Bob Marley museum/home is not to be missed???? (Not that you asked or even implied such a review. Haven't heard how Jamaica came thru the hurricane..assume some damage, but not overwhelming>???)

I don't have a deep interest in AI other than watching it creep into and over our society. In a sense, trying to get a hard drive partition cloning program to just work as simply as it should (and doesn't), we are already in combat with our Digital Overlords. Its coming, and won't stop. I assume it will not end well...NOT... because I am pessimistic but because I assume all possible outcomes will be experienced. The good ones will be nice, the not good ones will not be nice. Tautologies are too often rejected before their wisdom is appreciated.

I still like the term computronium. Has a ring about it....and if all life on earth is reduced to 1's and 0's.....then "thats how it went" to paraphrase Kurt Vonnegut. I don't guess that will happen. The building of hardware still having a biological neccessity, but, otoh, I can accept that is simply my own limitation of imagination, otohX2==>just a recognition that making the jump to all non-human is a difference in kind rather than degree. Ha, ha......and it always makes me thirsty. Time for a Red Stripe.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:38 am

_exit wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Wut?....again!?!?!?????? It doesn't really matter what you ARE. You post as a theist, with all attendant and well known characteristics.

Just ............look.
See my invention, non-beliefism.

I didn't merely stop at being atheistic, I questioned the very concept of belief.
I go farther as well and call myself anti-theist. "Even if god DID EXIST"...HOWEVER he might do so: I reject his authority over me or that he has any moral authority at all. It removes a lot of arguing. eg: I don't care if he loves me.......LEAVE ME ALONE. The basic howl of any autonomous person.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:13 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Thanks exit. I did review your link. I have been to Jamaica twice. First time to get drunk, second time to collect ferns (and get drunk). Good times. Did very much prefer the less developed rurual areas over Kingston...but Bob Marley museum/home is not to be missed???? (Not that you asked or even implied such a review. Haven't heard how Jamaica came thru the hurricane..assume some damage, but not overwhelming>???)

I don't have a deep interest in AI other than watching it creep into and over our society. In a sense, trying to get a hard drive partition cloning program to just work as simply as it should (and doesn't), we are already in combat with our Digital Overlords. Its coming, and won't stop. I assume it will not end well...NOT... because I am pessimistic but because I assume all possible outcomes will be experienced. The good ones will be nice, the not good ones will not be nice. Tautologies are too often rejected before their wisdom is appreciated.

I still like the term computronium. Has a ring about it....and if all life on earth is reduced to 1's and 0's.....then "thats how it went" to paraphrase Kurt Vonnegut. I don't guess that will happen. The building of hardware still having a biological neccessity, but, otoh, I can accept that is simply my own limitation of imagination, otohX2==>just a recognition that making the jump to all non-human is a difference in kind rather than degree. Ha, ha......and it always makes me thirsty. Time for a Red Stripe.
In my younger days, I did experiment with weed and drinking, but I later came to find a path that excluded such experimentation.

Nowadays, I especially avoid drinking, because I do a bit of casual body building.

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:42 am

Yes....I find my own more limited than I talk about it drinking to be "fun" like a hobby. It relaxes me, I enjoy it, become more talkative and friendly (my truer self?). As with all hobbies: to each their own. And note: especially in Jamaica, you can't collect ferns at night, so what ya gonna do?

I was in the USAF. The expression then was if you drank a little bit before joining, you would leave 5 years later drinking moderately. If you drank moderately before, you would leave drinking too much. And if you drank too much before joining: you would die. Such was the stress of being young, stuck in the weeds, with nothing to do. So...I drank virtually not at all when joined....and left almost dead. Had a good time though. Went to sleep one night, woke up 30 miles out at sea......and a few other black outs. After the military, I discovered that work a day people didn't find getting sloshed was socially acceptable. To each their own I thought and I continued. ..........but ........ I came to recognize in a way not true in the USAF, I was putting my job and career at risk, so........I stopped. I thank the Gods that don't be that for some magical reason I could drink like a drunk but I could also stop on a dime. I think I'm missing whatever the alcohol addiction dna is. Its not my willpower as I don't have much of that........I'm just lucky.

I don't like weightlifting. Watching the muscle be put on and the weights increase IS FUN....but the work that takes months to accomplish gets "wasted" in only a few weeks. Its not fair. After acceptable mass is achieved....I'd go with diet and aerobics.

Live long and prosper.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:34 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Yes....I find my own more limited than I talk about it drinking to be "fun" like a hobby. It relaxes me, I enjoy it, become more talkative and friendly (my truer self?). As with all hobbies: to each their own. And note: especially in Jamaica, you can't collect ferns at night, so what ya gonna do?

I was in the USAF. The expression then was if you drank a little bit before joining, you would leave 5 years later drinking moderately. If you drank moderately before, you would leave drinking too much. And if you drank too much before joining: you would die. Such was the stress of being young, stuck in the weeds, with nothing to do. So...I drank virtually not at all when joined....and left almost dead. Had a good time though. Went to sleep one night, woke up 30 miles out at sea......and a few other black outs. After the military, I discovered that work a day people didn't find getting sloshed was socially acceptable. To each their own I thought and I continued. ..........but ........ I came to recognize in a way not true in the USAF, I was putting my job and career at risk, so........I stopped. I thank the Gods that don't be that for some magical reason I could drink like a drunk but I could also stop on a dime. I think I'm missing whatever the alcohol addiction dna is. Its not my willpower as I don't have much of that........I'm just lucky.

I don't like weightlifting. Watching the muscle be put on and the weights increase IS FUN....but the work that takes months to accomplish gets "wasted" in only a few weeks. Its not fair. After acceptable mass is achieved....I'd go with diet and aerobics.

Live long and prosper.
You're quite adventurous.

I don't have the constitution required to safely awake at sea (cold temperature tends to get me sick!)

I despise weight lifting, and I have lost gains and regained those gains several times, and as you say, a little error can cause loss of gains. Anyway, weight lifting gets me healthier, so I can work on things like this short AI book.

I plan to live at least until I've contributed something to the development of AGI!

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34492
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: My nightmare
Location: Transcona

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Gord » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:32 am

_exit wrote:...I plan to live at least until I've contributed something to the development of AGI!
  Anthropogenic Global Ignorance? :confused:  
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11786
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:38 pm

Gord wrote:
_exit wrote:...I plan to live at least until I've contributed something to the development of AGI!
  Anthropogenic Global Ignorance? :confused:  
  How could one tell if there was an increase?  
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:56 pm

Increasing AGI is registered by more people thinking everything is ok.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
mirror93
Regular Poster
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by mirror93 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:07 am

_exit wrote:

Reminder: One ought not to confuse the teleological argument (purpose in the realm of subjectivity/deities/religion), with teleonomy (purpose in the realm of objectivity/science); this thread is concerned with purpose in the realm of science.

I became an atheist several years ago, and for a long while I thought life was purposeless. I am still an atheist today, but two years ago, I discovered that science had something to say about the purpose of human life in particular.
  • Science reasonably indicates that the purpose of human life is likely to engineer the creation of Artificial General Intelligence!
  • But why is the purpose of human life reasonably to create Artificial General Intelligence?
Source: Research-gate/Why is the purpose of life to build Artificial General Intelligence?

100% stupid nonsense

is the purpose of life to build Artificial General Intelligence
no it isn't.
:paladin:

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:57 pm

mirror93 wrote:
_exit wrote:

Reminder: One ought not to confuse the teleological argument (purpose in the realm of subjectivity/deities/religion), with teleonomy (purpose in the realm of objectivity/science); this thread is concerned with purpose in the realm of science.

I became an atheist several years ago, and for a long while I thought life was purposeless. I am still an atheist today, but two years ago, I discovered that science had something to say about the purpose of human life in particular.
  • Science reasonably indicates that the purpose of human life is likely to engineer the creation of Artificial General Intelligence!
  • But why is the purpose of human life reasonably to create Artificial General Intelligence?
Source: Research-gate/Why is the purpose of life to build Artificial General Intelligence?

100% stupid nonsense

is the purpose of life to build Artificial General Intelligence
no it isn't.
Any scientific objections, beyond opinionated blather?

Before you answer, please report whether or not you are theistic, for theists will "find it hard" to accept the possible purpose described in the OP.

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4725
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:21 pm

You mean "apparent purpose", right?
Because we have firmly established that there is no actual purpose.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1280
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Cadmusteeth » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:20 pm

Not sure if he is a creationist so much as he's trying to sell psudoscience with a cult like insistence.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1280
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Cadmusteeth » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Though I'm open to the other possibility if the evidence is there.

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4725
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:37 pm

exit, have you read Charles Stross?
In particular, I'm referring to Singularity Sky, which features The Eschaton, an artificial Super-intelligence that hasn't come to pass yet, but nevertheless intervenes in the present to assure its own creation. It has exactly one message for humanity:

“I am the Eschaton. I am not your God.
I am descended from you, and exist in your future.
Thou shalt not violate causality within my historic light cone. Or else.”



You might like it.

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:23 am

ElectricMonk wrote:You mean "apparent purpose", right?
Because we have firmly established that there is no actual purpose.
1.) That the purpose is apparent, had been long underlined in my hypothesis. (A clear example is found in the teleonomy reference)

2.) Crucially, that said purpose is apparent, does not suddenly necessitate that said purpose is actually inexistent.

3.) We'll see how the hypothesis turns out.

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:27 am

Cadmusteeth wrote:Not sure if he is a creationist so much as he's trying to sell psudoscience with a cult like insistence.
1.) You appear to be yet another person who has confused the teleological argument, (purpose in the realm of theism/deities/subjectivity) with teleonomy (purpose in the realm of science/objectivity.)

2.) That said, science is not pseudoscience. (Recall that the OP concerns purpose in the realm of science!)

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:30 am

ElectricMonk wrote:exit, have you read Charles Stross?
In particular, I'm referring to Singularity Sky, which features The Eschaton, an artificial Super-intelligence that hasn't come to pass yet, but nevertheless intervenes in the present to assure its own creation. It has exactly one message for humanity:

“I am the Eschaton. I am not your God.
I am descended from you, and exist in your future.
Thou shalt not violate causality within my historic light cone. Or else.”



You might like it.
I've read something similar long ago, called "God's debris".

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1280
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Cadmusteeth » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:07 pm

_exit wrote: 1.) You appear to be yet another person who has confused the teleological argument, (purpose in the realm of theism/deities/subjectivity) with teleonomy (purpose in the realm of science/objectivity.)
I'm talking about your claim that life's purpose is to produce AGI. Like everyone else already pointed out this claim is unsupported by evidence.
2.) That said, science is not pseudoscience. (Recall that the OP concerns purpose in the realm of science!)
Just because I'm critical of your claim doesn't mean I'm calling the whole of science psudoscience. That's an equivacation fallacy and a strawman of my position.

Either your so attached to your ideas that you're unable to calmly answer criticism or, worse, you're trying manipulate people into supporting your website. I'll withhold final judgment on those points but your claims are still questionable.

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:18 pm

Cadmusteeth wrote:
_exit wrote: 1.) You appear to be yet another person who has confused the teleological argument, (purpose in the realm of theism/deities/subjectivity) with teleonomy (purpose in the realm of science/objectivity.)
I'm talking about your claim that life's purpose is to produce AGI. Like everyone else already pointed out this claim is unsupported by evidence.
2.) That said, science is not pseudoscience. (Recall that the OP concerns purpose in the realm of science!)
Just because I'm critical of your claim doesn't mean I'm calling the whole of science psudoscience. That's an equivacation fallacy and a strawman of my position.

Either your so attached to your ideas that you're unable to calmly answer criticism or, worse, you're trying manipulate people into supporting your website. I'll withhold final judgment on those points but your claims are still questionable.
Image

1.) It appears you were not aware of teleonomy, prior to entering this thread. (It is likely that you merely thought of purpose in some subjective/religious sense)

Recall your prior comment:
Cadmusteeth wrote: Not sure if he is a creationist so much as he's trying to sell psudoscience with a cult like insistence.
2.) As such, I detect that it is likely, given your lack of awareness of teleonomy, you are ironically unable to accept or detect the evidence presented.

3.) Furthermore, you had implied that my thread concerned creationism, by doing just what you accuse me of above, equivocation/straw man, regardless of the reality that the OP had long concerned purpose in the realm of science, and not the teleological argument!

It is likely that as you still maintain an attachment to purpose being merely subjective, you criticized your narrow awareness, rather than the scientific/objective theme that my thread concerns!

4.) Once you admit that purpose may be objective, you may then come to detect that evidence supports my hypothesis. Are you theistic by chance? Why ignore that purpose may be objective (given your "creationist" accusation above)?

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Just in case Teeth might be thrown off course, I'm the one who had not heard the term teleonomy before this thread.

.........Its a central definition that exit cannot deal with: the APPARENT purpose driven activities that can be observed. Apparent being defined as "not real." Then he builds his rejection of religion based on these observations being real....at least as it applies to AGI which is in fact no difference than any other activity on earth.

......and all for no observed purpose. A snake eating its tail.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:45 pm

Hmmmm.....it just occurred to me: Say exit: how DO you tell the difference between "real" purpose and "apparent" purpose?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1280
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Cadmusteeth » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:20 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Just in case Teeth might be thrown off course, I'm the one who had not heard the term teleonomy before this thread.
Don't worry, I remember you guys talking about it and that exit wasn't using it right.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1280
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Cadmusteeth » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:46 pm

_exit wrote: 1.) It appears you were not aware of teleonomy, prior to entering this thread. (It is likely that you merely thought of purpose in some subjective/religious sense)
No, I was addressing your claim that life's purpose was to produce AGI. I looked at the links and still do not think they are relevant to my point.

Recall your prior comment:
Cadmusteeth wrote: Not sure if he is a creationist so much as he's trying to sell psudoscience with a cult like insistence.
I still think you are doing exactly that.
2.) As such, I detect that it is likely, given your lack of awareness of teleonomy, you are ironically unable to accept or detect the evidence presented.
See above and I'll get back to you afte I look at your PDF in regards to your evidence.
3.) Furthermore, you had implied that my thread concerned creationism, by doing just what you accuse me of above, equivocation/straw man, regardless of the reality that the OP had long concerned purpose in the realm of science, and not the teleological argument!
I said that I did not think you where a creationist.
It is likely that as you still maintain an attachment to purpose being merely subjective, you criticized your narrow awareness, rather than the scientific/objective theme that my thread concerns!
I'll get back to you on that after I read your PDF.
4.) Once you admit that purpose may be objective, you may then come to detect that evidence supports my hypothesis. Are you theistic by chance? Why ignore that purpose may be objective (given your "creationist" accusation above)?
[/quote] I already said that I did not think you were a creationist. As far as your evidence is concerned, see above.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:04 pm

Existentialism: there is no meaning or purpose to/in life. Hoomans may however choose to make any given idea a purpose in their lives. Pros and cons to all choices made. Your life made better or worse by such choices made.....but they are only your personal choices in the matrix of what circumstances allow by happenstance and your will.

Still no purpose. Even apparently. AGI could be "forced" as a purpose...but the argument for that will fall apart at the next big idea to follow it. Kinda like all those little cults knowing the Earth will end on such and such a date, and continually having to pick another one.

Just ........... look.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Dubious
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Dubious » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:21 pm

If that's the purpose, why didn't it start doing that in the first place and eliminate the "middleman"?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:24 pm

Dubious wrote:If that's the purpose, why didn't it start doing that in the first place and eliminate the "middleman"?
What are you responding to? Without a reference, I can only guess: "Because its a process." :D
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Dubious
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Dubious » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:35 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Dubious wrote:If that's the purpose, why didn't it start doing that in the first place and eliminate the "middleman"?
What are you responding to? Without a reference, I can only guess: "Because its a process." :D
I'm simply responding to the title of the OP - somewhat sarcastically - and only that. I admit to not having read most of the posts and merely default to its caption.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:42 pm

Here's how you "should" do that if you think making sense is the purpose of posting:

.....re the OP........

or
Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence
After very careful consideration..............I would say, because its a process.

ymmv
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Dubious
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Dubious » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:12 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Here's how you "should" do that if you think making sense is the purpose of posting:

.....re the OP........

or
Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence
After very careful consideration..............I would say, because its a process.

ymmv
I agree! It is a process beginning with us and extending that process beyond us. What I object to is the word "life" within that context since that would also imply anything contained in one's aquarium from minnows to goldfish.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17808
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:16 am

Oh....well, if I agreed with the notion at all, which i don't, the PROCESS referred to is evolution which certainly includes minnows and goldfish...aka: "The Fish in us All" ... my best memory of that fairly recent book.

Technological civilizations failing to avoid blowing themselves up is one of the limiting factors in that long equation for the possibility of contacting life elsewhere in the universe. Perhaps not the "purpose" but AGI is just one way of not making it.........

EDIT: ......aka: "Lifes purpose is to blow itself up."......might be in fact what happens most of the time, but kinda puts a kink in what "purpose" "should" mean. but this is what happens when you dabble in nonsense.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?