Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

How should we think about weird things?
Dubious
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Dubious » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:37 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Oh....well, if I agreed with the notion at all, which i don't, the PROCESS referred to is evolution which certainly includes minnows and goldfish...aka: "The Fish in us All" ... my best memory of that fairly recent book.

Technological civilizations failing to avoid blowing themselves up is one of the limiting factors in that long equation for the possibility of contacting life elsewhere in the universe. Perhaps not the "purpose" but AGI is just one way of not making it.........

EDIT: ......aka: "Lifes purpose is to blow itself up."......might be in fact what happens most of the time, but kinda puts a kink in what "purpose" "should" mean. but this is what happens when you dabble in nonsense.
There is no "purpose" to anything. It's our own minor minuscule myths which compel that conclusion. We're as important to the planet, without even mentioning the universe, as the next mosquito you caught off guard.

It's never been life's purpose to blow "itself" up but stupidity makes anything possible. Ironically, it requires a lot of "intelligence" to make stupidity that potent. Nevertheless, it's what many happen when one dabbles in nonsense. Don't know if you agree, but we're professionals at it.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17811
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:40 am

Dubious wrote:Don't know if you agree, but we're professionals at it.
.......hard to miss........that is exactly what I said..........? Do you skim that fast??????
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Dubious
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Dubious » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:43 am

My apologies. Your meaning wasn't clear to me!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17811
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:47 am

Read slower.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Dubious
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Dubious » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 am

I read it a couple of times. It didn't help. How much slower would you suggest!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17811
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:54 am

Ha, ha......dubious........I have no desire to argue with you.

What series of words did not make sense? ........... was it:
Existentialism: there is no meaning or purpose to/in life. Hoomans may however choose to make any given idea a purpose in their lives. Pros and cons to all choices made. Your life made better or worse by such choices made.....but they are only your personal choices in the matrix of what circumstances allow by happenstance and your will.

Still no purpose. Even apparently. AGI could be "forced" as a purpose...but the argument for that will fall apart at the next big idea to follow it. Kinda like all those little cults knowing the Earth will end on such and such a date, and continually having to pick another one.
Here's an offramp: if you missed the above, I agree the following posts use of sarcasm could be missed.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Dubious
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Dubious » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:21 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Ha, ha......dubious........I have no desire to argue with you.

What series of words did not make sense? ........... was it:
Existentialism: there is no meaning or purpose to/in life. Hoomans may however choose to make any given idea a purpose in their lives. Pros and cons to all choices made. Your life made better or worse by such choices made.....but they are only your personal choices in the matrix of what circumstances allow by happenstance and your will.
So far so good, "happenstance" being the key word

Still no purpose.
Couldn't find any either. Happenstance excludes purpose...imho.

Even apparently.
"Apparently" doesn't exclude possibilities.

AGI could be "forced" as a purpose...but the argument for that will fall apart at the next big idea to follow it.
Likely to happen if AGI is just another big idea. Big ideas are vulnerable to each other.

Here's an offramp: if you missed the above, I agree the following posts use of sarcasm could be missed.
It wouldn't be the first time I failed to acknowledge a cosmic mystery!

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:29 am

Dubious wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Oh....well, if I agreed with the notion at all, which i don't, the PROCESS referred to is evolution which certainly includes minnows and goldfish...aka: "The Fish in us All" ... my best memory of that fairly recent book.

Technological civilizations failing to avoid blowing themselves up is one of the limiting factors in that long equation for the possibility of contacting life elsewhere in the universe. Perhaps not the "purpose" but AGI is just one way of not making it.........

EDIT: ......aka: "Lifes purpose is to blow itself up."......might be in fact what happens most of the time, but kinda puts a kink in what "purpose" "should" mean. but this is what happens when you dabble in nonsense.
There is no "purpose" to anything. It's our own minor minuscule myths which compel that conclusion. We're as important to the planet, without even mentioning the universe, as the next mosquito you caught off guard.

It's never been life's purpose to blow "itself" up but stupidity makes anything possible. Ironically, it requires a lot of "intelligence" to make stupidity that potent. Nevertheless, it's what many happen when one dabbles in nonsense. Don't know if you agree, but we're professionals at it.
Image

See the reminder below.
_exit wrote: Reminder: One ought not to confuse the teleological argument (purpose in the realm of subjectivity/deities/religion), with teleonomy (purpose in the realm of objectivity/science); this thread is concerned with purpose in the realm of science.

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17811
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:35 am

Well dubious, as exit has proven he can't make sense, what words did you find confusing, not clear, or needing explanation.

You know......actually answer the question put to you. Its a tonic.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Dubious
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Dubious » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:50 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Well dubious, as exit has proven he can't make sense, what words did you find confusing, not clear, or needing explanation.

You know......actually answer the question put to you. Its a tonic.
I thought I did even if I didn't specifically know what the question was! Was there one or more?? Pragmatists should make themselves more explicit! In any event, I was waiting for the correction. So again, what "specifically" is your question; no need to hide it underneath a mystery pile. I'm used to New York fries not French cooking!

Dubious
New Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 am

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by Dubious » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:52 am

_exit wrote:
Dubious wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Oh....well, if I agreed with the notion at all, which i don't, the PROCESS referred to is evolution which certainly includes minnows and goldfish...aka: "The Fish in us All" ... my best memory of that fairly recent book.

Technological civilizations failing to avoid blowing themselves up is one of the limiting factors in that long equation for the possibility of contacting life elsewhere in the universe. Perhaps not the "purpose" but AGI is just one way of not making it.........

EDIT: ......aka: "Lifes purpose is to blow itself up."......might be in fact what happens most of the time, but kinda puts a kink in what "purpose" "should" mean. but this is what happens when you dabble in nonsense.
There is no "purpose" to anything. It's our own minor minuscule myths which compel that conclusion. We're as important to the planet, without even mentioning the universe, as the next mosquito you caught off guard.

It's never been life's purpose to blow "itself" up but stupidity makes anything possible. Ironically, it requires a lot of "intelligence" to make stupidity that potent. Nevertheless, it's what many happen when one dabbles in nonsense. Don't know if you agree, but we're professionals at it.
Image

See the reminder below.
_exit wrote: Reminder: One ought not to confuse the teleological argument (purpose in the realm of subjectivity/deities/religion), with teleonomy (purpose in the realm of objectivity/science); this thread is concerned with purpose in the realm of science.
Please!! Don't bring Teleology into a purely Cheech & Chong affair.

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:03 am

Dubious wrote:
Please!! Don't bring Teleology into a purely Cheech & Chong affair.
Contrarily, see Wikipedia/teleonomy.

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 17811
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:08 am

You two have fun.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4741
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:17 am

Exit, you think you've explained something, but all you do is link to definitions and post lame memes - both clear signs that you don't understand your argument sufficiently to state it in your own words.

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:30 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Exit, you think you've explained something, but all you do is link to definitions and post lame memes - both clear signs that you don't understand your argument sufficiently to state it in your own words.
1.) See my hypothesis. (As long cited in the OP)

2.) Perhaps if you got into the habit of posting sources to substantiate your claims, you likely wouldn't detect citations as "indications of ignorance". I ponder why the action of citation suddenly warrants that one is supposedly "ignorant"? Do you know how references work?

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4741
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Exit, you should rephrase and restate your argument: what you have posted so far is insufficient to convince.
You are making the claims, not me, so it is up to substantiate them.
But it seems more and more likely that you have actually no idea what you are talking about.

User avatar
_exit
Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Re: Life's purpose is to make Artificial General Intelligence

Post by _exit » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:07 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Exit, you should rephrase and restate your argument: what you have posted so far is insufficient to convince.
You are making the claims, not me, so it is up to substantiate them.
But it seems more and more likely that you have actually no idea what you are talking about.
1.) That you are unable to understand or accept the content, does not suddenly warrant that I lack understanding of said content.

2.) Don't forget that you had accused me of theological endeavors, simply because the hypothesis concerned purpose.

I'ts pretty clear that you hadn't a clue that purpose could exist in the realm of science, rather than theology:
ElectricMonk wrote: Ascribing any kind of purpose to the universe smacks of theology.
3.) Of course, it is also clear that you had confused the teleological argument (purpose in the realm of subjectivity/deities/religion), with teleonomy (purpose in the realm of objectivity/science); and my thread is concerned with purpose in the realm of science.

You ought to be able to update your mind, given new evidence!

Signature: I am interested in completing a novel learning model I call the "Supersymmetric Artificial Neural Network".