Restraints

How should we think about weird things?
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Restraints

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:23 am

One of the great thinkers of the past was Edmund Burke, who in 1790 wrote a dissertation called "Reflections on the Revolution in France."

One phrase is worth repeating.
'The restraints on men, as well as their liberties, are to be reckoned among their rights.'

There is a major refrain among libertarians about freedom, and lack of restraints. But I think that Burke got it correctly. Without restraints, people will behave in the most horrible ways, and this leads to harm to all. It is only relatively recently that those restraints have become sufficiently effective to cause a major increase in human welfare. Rapists and murderers must be restrained, along with those criminals attacking property.

There have been debates on this forum about the right to bear arms. My view is that this should be restrained also, to minimise harm to others. There is already a plethora of laws restraining drivers from doing that which is dangerous, and thus harmful to others.

Perhaps we should be less focussed on liberty, and more on appropriate restraints, to the benefit of all.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Restraints

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Most people have no problem seeing societies as something akin to an organism, with individuals working together to create something different than just the sum of its parts.
But for some reason, they fail to see the flip-side, which is that unless each part operates within their tightly assigned constrains, the entire system is at danger of collapse.

Preppers are the only honest libertarians, since they accept the fact their idea of freedom is contingent on the absence of a functioning society.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:44 pm

Free to revert to a hunter-gatherer society. If that advanced.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:36 pm

I have dipped into burke, locke, hobbes, smith, swift...etc but don't remember much EXCEPT for the fact that all too often they wrap a lot of gobbledegook around "god".......not the fundie of the bible, but their own versions of it. Words/ideas from the 1700's often don't have the same meaning we casual readers would give those words today===>and thats ok. any words that actually provoke ideas are good ones.........whatever they mean: to us, to the dictionary, to the authors. 3 camps often at odds with one another.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:58 pm

All of which matters not. We can get a few pearls of wisdom from otherwise deity bound idiots. If I searched hard enough, I could probably find something worth quoting even from Bobbo's posts.

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:54 pm

:lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:All of which matters not. We can get a few pearls of wisdom from otherwise deity bound idiots. If I searched hard enough, I could probably find something worth quoting even from Bobbo's posts.
I nominate: "Ain't that a Bitch?" .......its one of my best.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?