If telepathy were proven to exist, would that demonstrate that we have souls?

How should we think about weird things?
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: If telepathy were proven to exist, would that demonstrate that we have souls?

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:45 pm

Ouch ouch! Ouch ouch ouch! Ouch! Ow ow ow ow! Ow! Ow ouch ow! Ow ow ouch ow! Ow ow ouch! Ouch ow ouch ow! Ouch ow ouch! Ow! Ow ouch ow!

Ouch! Ow ow ow ow! Ow ouch! Ouch!

Ow ow ow! Ouch! Ow ow! Ouch ow! Ouch ouch ow! Ow ow ow!
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: If telepathy were proven to exist, would that demonstrate that we have souls?

Post by Poodle » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:07 pm

Phoenix76 wrote:... In one form or another, we regularly hit this topic. I don't really know why. We are supposed to be skeptics, and whilst I accept that there is no proof of god's existence, or not, why do we keep flogging this dead horse if we have nothing further to add.
Well, there's your problem, Phoenix. Scientific skepticism appears to be a movable feast - certainly judging by some of the characters we get on here. Just look on those people(?) as members of the test subject menagerie. You can be serious with them, take the piss out of them, sharpen up your more subtle insult skills - in general, have a ball. And they must enjoy it because they keep coming back for more.
At the same time, there are, indeed, more serious skeptics here who will give you all the discussion your heart desires. But there will always remain the problem of keeping the loons away from your threads. Masochists, the lot of 'em. I mean, gorgeous has been here for years.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Post by Nikki Nyx » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:23 pm

Perhaps the forum tagline should be changed from "Promoting SCIENCE and CRITICAL THINKING" to "If you can't prove it, sod off!" :P
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:27 pm

Without idiots, what would a skeptic do?

.....................seriously, I'm asking.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:28 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Without idiots, what would a skeptic do?.
Celebrity death match! :slapfight:

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:Perhaps the forum tagline should be changed from "Promoting SCIENCE and CRITICAL THINKING" to "If you can't prove it, sod off!" :P
Debating the gullibulati is like playing whack-a-mole. They do sod off, mostly, but only after releasing a stream of bat's piss into the gloom.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Post by Phoenix76 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:32 am

Yeah Poodle, I know, but I just get pissed off, particularly on the god subject, because it is the same old BS you see every time.

And Nikki, maybe a bit harsh, but I still like the way you think. But then Poodle wouldn't have anyone to stir. Even myself with Georgeous. I do love stirring him/her/it/other/non-gender.

And Bobbo old mate, I guess you are quite right. It would become a very boring forum, very straight laced, no fun at all. Perhaps I need to learn how to control my immediate emotion when I read some of this diatribe. Usually my fingers take off without the rest of me, and when the rest catches up, my emotions have subsided, and I realize that I enjoy having a stir, just as several of you blokes do.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:41 am

I never stir anything for fun... Shake it, baby! :)
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Dubious

Post by Dubious » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:33 am

Can't figure out what one has to do with the other. It leaps from one subject to another with not a common chord in between. What's supposed to combine them?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:57 am

Welcome to the Skeptic Society Forum! :)

Dubious

Post by Dubious » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:32 am

Thank you! Passed by a few times and thought this was a good place to deflate. Eventually one gets dizzy being too long in a hot air balloon!

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:10 am

I find the discordance pleasurable. Like an orchestra warming up. And sometimes we pick a tune and go with it.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

I just like the smell.

Post by Gord » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:46 am

I'm not sure why I post here. It's a mystery to me.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:49 am

You just get used to it.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:48 pm

That pile of pulled out hair and empty aspirin bottles surrounding Pyrrho's computer area would beg to differ.
trump is Putin's bitch

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Pyrrho stopped caring a long time ago.

Probably when he ran out of hair and his liver failed.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Has anyone checked on him, by the way?
trump is Putin's bitch

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:22 pm

Oi! Pyrrho! You still alive? Have a good new year?

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Phoenix76 wrote:And Nikki, maybe a bit harsh, but I still like the way you think. But then Poodle wouldn't have anyone to stir. Even myself with Georgeous. I do love stirring him/her/it/other/non-gender.
Sometimes it's necessary to bust someone's little red wagon...for the greater good. :mrgreen:
Phoenix76 wrote:And Bobbo old mate, I guess you are quite right. It would become a very boring forum, very straight laced, no fun at all. Perhaps I need to learn how to control my immediate emotion when I read some of this diatribe. Usually my fingers take off without the rest of me, and when the rest catches up, my emotions have subsided, and I realize that I enjoy having a stir, just as several of you blokes do.
Laugh instead of getting angry...think of the utter silliness of the woo claim and laugh.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Dubious wrote:Can't figure out what one has to do with the other. It leaps from one subject to another with not a common chord in between. What's supposed to combine them?
Welcome to the forum, Dubious! Most of the wooists do this; they're prone to seeing patterns where there are none, not realizing they're imposing the patterns themselves. Weird, huh?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Aztexan wrote:Has anyone checked on him, by the way?
I think cats ate his face.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:40 pm

Sweet merciful release from the horrors of being the forum admin
trump is Putin's bitch

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:47 pm

{!#%@}. He's logged on. Act cool.
trump is Putin's bitch

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Ha! I totally did that the other day. Went for a bicycle ride with the kids and needed to cross a road at traffic lights. Cops pull up front and centre. I'm like, "Kids, dismount and walk across the crossing". And a I shot the cops a beaming smile as we walked in front of them.

Dubious

Post by Dubious » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:12 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Dubious wrote:Can't figure out what one has to do with the other. It leaps from one subject to another with not a common chord in between. What's supposed to combine them?
Welcome to the forum, Dubious! Most of the wooists do this; they're prone to seeing patterns where there are none, not realizing they're imposing the patterns themselves. Weird, huh?
Thank you! It's not quite so weird actually. We've been doing this sort of thing since we looked at the night sky subdividing it into named constellations though I still can't tell what's so orion about Orion! But it may still be functional as in creating a story only in this case the cast of characters are the individual stars we can glance at.

Whatever, the fact remains we shouldn't be too mesmerized by spider webs regardless of how magnificent they may be. Unfortunately most of the "thought" webs we create are usually heavily caffeinated.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:54 am

That's not true.

some webs are weaved? woven? spun using other chemicals
trump is Putin's bitch

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:46 pm

Dubious wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Thank you! It's not quite so weird actually. We've been doing this sort of thing since we looked at the night sky subdividing it into named constellations though I still can't tell what's so orion about Orion! But it may still be functional as in creating a story only in this case the cast of characters are the individual stars we can glance at.

Whatever, the fact remains we shouldn't be too mesmerized by spider webs regardless of how magnificent they may be. Unfortunately most of the "thought" webs we create are usually heavily caffeinated.
Around here, many are beerinated.

:wel:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:35 am

Dubious wrote:Thank you! It's not quite so weird actually. We've been doing this sort of thing since we looked at the night sky subdividing it into named constellations though I still can't tell what's so orion about Orion!
Why is he doing a headstand?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:44 pm

The fact that, here in the southern hemisphere, Orion is doing a deadstand, is pretty much irrelevant. All the constellations are based on massive stretches of the imagination. About the only ones that make good pictures are scorpio and crux. All the rest are just random distributions of stars that someone with too much imagination and too little sense twisted into a weird picture.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:The fact that, here in the southern hemisphere, Orion is doing a deadstand, is pretty much irrelevant. All the constellations are based on massive stretches of the imagination. About the only ones that make good pictures are scorpio and crux. All the rest are just random distributions of stars that someone with too much imagination and too little sense twisted into a weird picture.
It's human nature to perceive order in chaos, even if we have to forcibly overlay an imaginary pattern. It's the conspiracy theorist's favorite pastime.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:03 am

In those days they didn't have Netflix or central heating, so they'd hafta stare at the stars and chill.