How should we think about weird things?
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Politically correct nonsense.

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:22 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:17 pm
The fact is, if you were born in a perfectly healthy body, and "feel" like it's not the right body for you, then you have a mental disorder. It's most likely psychological (you just believe it), it might be psychiatrical (a chemical imbalance), or in very rare cases, it might be physiological (an actual mutation that can be attributed to a biological muckup).
Do you remember at all how you came to believe this...........load of poppycock? Why would gender identity be tied to general body health at all? Can you name and connect those dots?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:32 pm

landrew wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:31 pm
I believe I read somewhere that although several studies have linked genetics to gender identity, none of them have been replicated. If someone has better information on this subject, please feel free to post it.
I've noticed a few reports on the issue. OF COURSE, its genetically based...but not as simple as the color of a pea. The very last article I read said they have identified a "locus" of genes that affect gender identity, but they are still being identified and their interactions and other necessaries are being researched.

I have no doubt at all that some people try to "chose" to be other than they are but a simple thought experiement in EMPATHY is my own guide: when did I decide to be a heterosexual? Could I pretend otherwise? Answers: I never decided, I just recognized I was.........and No.

I first separated myself from my fellow hoomans early in life as the kiddies made fun of and tormented anyone with learning disability, big ears, wrong skin color. "Gee, my contemporaries are complete {!#%@}" is what I thought, and I haven't changed my opinion much over the years. Later, I found out that homosexuals were another group to hate. It kinda surprised me because my first reactions was: "Good, that means more women for me." I was really quite sad on learning that women had the same reality: over time and cultures anywhere from 5 to 10% of the population is "non-standard." Thats not a choice with all the pressures to conform otherwise.

Why don't these non-reproductive tendencies get weeded out of the gene pool? Because Moms who produce gender bending kiddies also STATISTICALLY have more kiddies than the norm...thereby keeping the balance. Its more genetics.

I have always thought that genetics plays a bigger role in our lives than the traditional debate allows. My proof: consider the cantaloupe. the only difference between the cantaloupe and you is: genetics. This informs many of my life decisions: Am I a Man, or a Cantaloupe. Many decisions are right on the fence.........cantaloupes being what they are..........
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:34 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:22 pm
Do you remember at all how you came to believe this...........load of poppycock? Why would gender identity be tied to general body health at all? Can you name and connect those dots?
You shouldn't be on a skeptic forum. Someone might hurt your feelings.

Go and play on a highway.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:38 pm

Well you know MM.....skepticism is a two way street. I don't know what you are thinking, re Homos or why my feelings might be hurt. I take it as projection on your part: for both issues.

Certainly, any hooman separates himself from a field of cantaloupes by being able to explain their thinking. Give it a roll.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:45 pm

Ask a proper question.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:45 pm
Ask a proper question.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Double-down.

What's "poppycock"?

Tell me what you think I've said is a load of poppycock...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:53 pm

poppycock: Senseless talk //// always crops up when the discussion is homosexuality.

...............and H is not about political correctness UNTIL you have basic facts/science accepted as limits to whatever you grew up being told. "An unexamined life is a waste of time." Always fun to start with our own: "Why do I think xyz." ///////////// Whoosh..........doors open.

Or not.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:04 pm

Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:53 pm
poppycock: Senseless talk //// always crops up when the discussion is homosexuality.

...............and H is not about political correctness UNTIL you have basic facts/science accepted as limits to whatever you grew up being told. "An unexamined life is a waste of time." Always fun to start with our own: "Why do I think xyz." ///////////// Whoosh..........doors open.

Or not.
As senseless as your posts usually are, I never mentioned homosexuality.

Read back a bit.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:31 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:04 pm
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:53 pm

Or not.
As senseless as your posts usually are, I never mentioned homosexuality.

Read back a bit.
Oh Riley? You meant to exclude it then???? or just more poppycock???????????????/ Relax MM, we have enough senseless talk already. Do you have any opinions you can honestly discuss??????? Ha, ha. Weird you pull a Cro Magnon Man on a topic like this. You think "The fact is, if you were born in a perfectly healthy body, and "feel" like it's not the right body for you, then you have a mental disorder." is the best example of being anti political correct????? "I do not think that means what you think it means."

The SUPERMOUNTING POINT IS: even IF you were right in any connection to what you post there is a requirement in civilized thinking people to LEAVE OTHER PEOPLE THE {!#%@} ALONE. Its called: FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM. Not as so many think some obligation owed to YOU, but rather just the opposite: an obligation YOU OWE to other people. Try it. COYOTE.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:33 pm

cOURSE....if you meant just examples of schizophrenia and other documented disorders, your post/thoughts should be much better expressed.

Is that what you meant..........no...........why then the connection to healthy bodies.? Real middle aged "four humors" mindless word associations going on there.................

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Hey, hey! Quiet down! Take a chill pill! What will the neighbours think?

I don't care what you do in your bedroom. So long as it's between consenting adults. Or by yourself. That's none of my business.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Quite correct. so.......what does your post mean?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Erm... I thought you were asking the questions, here...?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:18 pm

Bobbo

You are barking up the wrong tree.

MM did not say gender identity depended on body health. He said we do not know why this mental defect exists, and he listed some possible causes. I know, for example, that schizophrenia sometimes responds therapeutically to certain antiviral drugs. That implies a virus may contribute to the disease. Something like that may be involved in gender identity dysfunction also. We do not know, but it is good to keep our options open.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:07 am

I never said any of those things, but I do agree dogs sometimes bark up trees.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:18 pm
Bobbo

You are barking up the wrong tree.

MM did not say gender identity depended on body health. He said we do not know why this mental defect exists, and he listed some possible causes. I know, for example, that schizophrenia sometimes responds therapeutically to certain antiviral drugs. That implies a virus may contribute to the disease. Something like that may be involved in gender identity dysfunction also. We do not know, but it is good to keep our options open.
Nobody wants to hear that their gender is a defect or a disease.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:42 pm

Meh. Truth hurts sometimes. No-one likes being diagnosed with cancer, either.

Well, there are probably some sick {!#%@} that do get off on that {!#%@}. Rule 34.

And there are probably a lot of people with mental disorders that feel relieved being told by a "professional" that the "reason" they feel {!#%@} up is because they were born in the wrong body.

I mean, it sounds like a bunch of Eastern reincarnation religion to me. Or Scientology. Like your soul is a separate thing that inhabits a body like a {!#%@} hermit crab occupies a shell.

You can't tell me many doctors aren't stupid, {!#%@} in the head, &/or motivated by less than benevolent ideals.

They love money and power and notoriety, and have all the same political agendas as every other human.

A good doctor is hard to find.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:47 pm

(And this is why I got dumped by Cancer Girl. Because I told her I don't give a {!#%@}. You got unlucky. {!#%@} happens. Suck it up princess, and deal with it. She didn't take it well.)

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:21 pm

I mean, my father was a psychiatric nurse. A warden.

He said you could find four Jesuses and two Napoleons on any given floor.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:11 pm

I sure am glad I don't want a tattoo... :roll:

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:32 pm

Tattoos are for tribes, soldiers, sailors, criminals, and idiots.

If you brand yourself with that, you let me know right away.

Thanks for making it easy.

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:32 pm
Tattoos are for tribes, soldiers, sailors, criminals, and idiots.

If you brand yourself with that, you let me know right away.

Thanks for making it easy.
:amen:
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:07 pm

To MM and all: I apologize. As a Master of Ambiguity I recognize the games that can be played with it. Mental Illness HAS NOTHING to do with "fit bodies" and so forth. Its all about psychology. Meanwhile.....homophobia and gender dismorphia issues are often matched to "body parts" so ..... The idea should have been better presented.

Words. They have meaning.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:16 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: Words. They have meaning.
Sometimes I watch foreign movies without the subtitles.

They make sounds that might be words to them, but they mean absolutely nothing to me.

Having said that, I know the word in Seagull for "chips".

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:22 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:16 pm

Having said that, I know the word in seagull for "chips".
Can you sound that out for us? I assume it might be too hard to do?......Something other than what noise they make all the time to everything?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:31 pm

It's difficult to pronounce. There's really no English translation. A kind of squark. I've only managed it twice in my life.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:32 pm

Yeah...squark isn't right. I first thought queeeek and thats not right either. Do you think Niel Diamond knows?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:40 pm

I'm not familiar with the reference. Got a specific link?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:55 pm

One of my favorite albums........its happy music: Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:19 pm

Your happiness is blocked in my country.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:44 pm

It appears, Bobbo, that we have something in common. I loved Neil Diamonds song "Skybird" so much that when I bought a yacht many years ago, I named it Skybird. The shape of white sails taut in the breeze are so much like seagulls wings.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:04 am

It's bad luck to rename a boat.

Did you at least smear it with a virgin's first period blood?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:14 am

Lance: we share a lot of common experiences, likes and dislikes. Its flexibility where we mostly differ.

Here is my most favorite Happy Song from a band that never got as famous as they should have:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:18 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:44 pm
It appears, Bobbo, that we have something in common. I loved Neil Diamonds song "Skybird" so much that when I bought a yacht many years ago, I named it Skybird. The shape of white sails taut in the breeze are so much like seagulls wings.
Is there a "name" for the triangle of man - boat - ocean? That symbol gets to me. For some reason, substituting airplane or parasail for boat and sky for ocean just doesn't cut it..........

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:25 am

Communism starts out all happy, kinda like a marriage, but it rarely ends well.

And you end up paying for a bunch of stuff you don't get.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:28 am

Communism has never been tried. Its a label put on lots of central controlled systems.........In theory though....I don't see how it could work. It goes against the self centeredness/seeking of man. As with all other systems, some of its ideas should be borrowed/adapted to avoid the excess/injuries of all the other systems.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:30 am

We're not ants.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:54 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:04 am
It's bad luck to rename a boat.

Did you at least smear it with a virgin's first period blood?
Where do you find a virgin?
No good setting me impossible quests.

I know several people who share that superstition. I do not. Changing a boats name is the right thing to do if the old name is crappy.

On communism.
Lots of hippy communes set out to be perfect communist groups. The problem is that there are always people who cannot play nice.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:13 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Where do you find a virgin?
Not in Australia. Nor would you find three wise men.

That's why Jesus wasn't born in Australia.
:D