Politically correct nonsense.

How should we think about weird things?
TJrandom
Has No Life

Re: Politically correct nonsense.

Post by TJrandom » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:01 am

Nope, had enough, and I don't like the things anyway.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:27 pm
gorgeous wrote:fox-----Student booted from Christianity class for insisting there are only two genders
Christians don't like facts. What else is new?
Good point. I know fundamentalists reject all the findings of psychologists as just politically motivated nonsense, so I won't argue what everyone should know from observation: there are men whose behavior is more typically feminine (by community standards) and women whose behavior is more typically masculine (by community standards). And these behaviors are pretty obviously part of their basic nature and psychological makeup, NOT chosen in defiance of community norms. As I said, let that go, and focus on what even fundamentalists can't deny. If you look at just the physical structure of human bodies, you find a significant number that cannot be assigned to either category of male or female. It's called hermaphroditism, and it has been known for millennia. Fundamentalist "binary boosters" never address that issue. If Trump has his way, the authorities will assign each person a gender at birth, and it will be illegal to attempt to change it. (That's the content of one of Trump's proposals for a law to abolish the people he doesn't feel comfortable with.)
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:44 pm

I'd hardly say hermaphroditism is a "significant" number. It's a rare birth defect caused by either genetic or environmental factors.

I feel sorry for them, and I'll call them whatever they decide, but don't call all me a bigot when they forcibly rub their genitals in my face in public, demanding I respect them and shag them under force of imprisonment.

I'm sorry, sweetheart, but you're just not my type.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:30 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:44 pm
I feel sorry for them, and I'll call them whatever they decide, but don't call all me a bigot when they forcibly rub their genitals in my face in public, demanding I respect them and shag them under force of imprisonment.

Oh, poor, poor, widdle MM! Have those wascally hermaphrodites been forcefully wubbing their genitals in your face in public demanding that you shag them?

I can't call you a bigot for being out of sorts.

(Can you tell me where I can find them?)
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Google. Twitter. Imgur. Tumblr. Silly words like that.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Gord wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:53 am
...yeah, I'm not going to quote that one. It's too long. Go read it yourself.
Not me. You wasted a lot more time than I would have.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
I'd hardly say hermaphroditism is a "significant" number. It's a rare birth defect caused by either genetic or environmental factors.

I never met one, but then how would I know? It isn't like they are out in public forcibly rubbing their genitals in my face, demanding I respect them under force of imprisonment. However, I have met Christians out in public demanding that I believe them under force of damnation. I think I would prefer to associate with hermaphrodites.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:05 pm

Of course I don't mean literally, I mean figuratively. But not always.

For such a tiny percent of the population, why do the vast majority need to bow their knee to their demands?

There are more soldiers that have stepped on landmines. But you don't see them crying about their pronouns.

Why are they teaching preppy school kids that it's OK to chop off your dick?

Body dysmorphia and self-mutilation are mental illnesses.

It's not OK to chop off your limbs and pour acid in your eyes because you feel like a trans-disabled person.

These people need help. And stop teaching impressionable kids this {!#%@} is normal. It's not.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:08 pm

Some people have rubbleablel faces, or look like they need a good rub? But yeah, it is always fun to note when what used to be hidden and oppressed becomes a demand for special rights. In either case==>whether true or not.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:23 pm

I'm pretty sure that having ambiguous genitalia, being gay, transgender, etc., or even being straight are all normal. What is abnormal, are laws and practices that treat them as abnormal.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:29 pm

Now we have a point of contention, TJ.

Explain to me what's normal.

For example, this isn't normal. It's exceptional.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Maybe normal isn't the right word - maybe natural is more appropriate. As for teaching kiddies what is normal/natural, I would lean toward doing so before they are taught that it abnormal or unnatural. If approximately 10% of the population fit, then exceptional probably isn't correct either.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:09 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:

How many HUMAN BEINGS does it take to be a "significant number"? Just asking. If it's below a certain threshold, then these people don't matter at all and can be ignored or forced to live in the shadows and pretend to be what they are not? Is that the unspoken premise here?

Seriously? You expect me to believe you've been assaulted by hermaphrodites out in public? Surely, you're having me on!!!
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:05 pm
Of course I don't mean literally, I mean figuratively. But not always.

For such a tiny percent of the population, why do the vast majority need to bow their knee to their demands?
I'm not sure whether you are arguing about trans-sexuals or hermaphrodites. They are not the same thing. Transsexuals have grown up in a "binary" world and are able to cope with it, perhaps with some difficulty. Like you, I can sympathize with their problem, but it doesn't strike me as a high priority for medical resources. They have a presumed sexual identity, though they may not like it, and they can go to the beach without being stared at. Hermaphrodites are another matter. They don't have any place to be, and public acceptance of them is minimal. In fact, they are never discussed in the public arena, as far as I can recall.

So, let's talk about trans-sexuals. We're not "bowing our knees" to them, only allowing them to use the rest room they prefer. What you are saying about trans-sexuals is EXACTLY what was said about lesbians and gay men a few decades ago and is still being said in fundamentalist circles.

Nobody in ANY position of responsibility is teaching kids that self-mutilation is good. Surgery to change genitalia and other aspects of sexuality is undertaken only on adults who have had ample time to reflect on the decision. It is never undertaken lightly.

Now there are some issues here where I'd bet that you and I agree. One is that sex-change operations are voluntary surgery and, in the abstract, should not be covered by Medicare or Medicaid. If the army was actually paying for this surgery, then Trump had a---very small---point about the expense. It's a small point because, as you say, there really aren't many people who want this kind of surgery. So, coming back from the abstract to the concrete, they would be a minuscule item in the total budget. If ten people out of three million or so in the armed services wanted this surgery, it wouldn't put much of a dent in the budget. Still, as a political compromise, I can see that leaving out coverage for it makes sense, and would even perhaps make acceptance of trans-sexuals easier for those who have to get used to it.

I confess that it took me considerable time to accept the psychological findings. When I first heard a psychologist saying that there were people walking around in male bodies who considered themselves female but were not delusional, my reaction was, "One of us doesn't know the meaning of a delusion." But I do accept now that gender and physical sex are not necessarily the same thing, and what I learn from popularizations of the work of embryologists and geneticists about the way physical sex is determined convinces me that a brain can be female when genetalia are male, and vice versa.
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:38 pm

OK, you both win. Go and {!#%@} each other as much as you want. I honestly don't care. I'm not stepping in your bedroom.

But when you start teaching little kids that don't even know about sex. They don't have the hormones or the faculties yet. That it's OK, perfectly normal to want to chop bits off your bodies, take drugs, get full body tattoos, prostitute themselves at birth.

I mean, where is the {!#%@} line?

Have you had kids? Were you ever a kid? They're {!#%@} stupid. They need someone to say, "No. That's a really {!#%@} stupid idea. Don't poke the knife in the electric socket. Don't touch the hot thing. Cutting your dick off is a really bad idea."

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:46 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:23 pm
I'm pretty sure that having ambiguous genitalia, being gay, transgender, etc., or even being straight are all normal. What is abnormal, are laws and practices that treat them as abnormal.
I agree, if "normal" has its colloquial meaning of "naturally occurring." There's another meaning, of course. A "norm" is a standard of behavior that is demanded of people. And I'd like to see that standard embrace tolerance for LGBT people. As you say, the laws and practices we now have and the ones Trump and those he panders to would like to impose are "abnormal" in that sense.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:38 pm
OK, you both win. Go and {!#%@} each other as much as you want. I honestly don't care. I'm not stepping in your bedroom.

But when you start teaching little kids that don't even know about sex. They don't have the hormones or the faculties yet. That it's OK, perfectly normal to want to chop bits off your bodies, take drugs, get full body tattoos, prostitute themselves at birth.

I mean, where is the {!#%@} line?

Have you had kids? Were you ever a kid? They're {!#%@} stupid. They need someone to say, "No. That's a really {!#%@} stupid idea. Don't poke the knife in the electric socket. Don't touch the hot thing. Cutting your dick off is a really bad idea."
WTF!!!

I'm the father of three and grandfather of five. Nobody ever told my kids (or anybody else) that it was a good idea to mutilate their bodies and nobody should. Only adults should have the right to elect what is now called "gender-reassignment surgery." I certainly agree that tattoos, drugs, and prostitution should be discouraged in all cases and absolutely forbidden to underage people.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:18 pm
And nobody in ANY position of responsibility is teaching kids that self-mutilation is good. People (if there are any) who do that are crazy.
There are. In government positions. Teaching primary and highschool kids how to be trans.

How they can take hormones and have surgery. How it's all perfectly NORMAL.

You scoff, but these crazy people are in positions of power, and in our schools, and they are teaching our kids this {!#%@}.

They use the camouflage of "tolerance" to insert their crazy agendas into kids.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:13 pm

The word 'normal' is a sticking point here. Is "transexual" normal or not ? I would argue not. I would regard it as a congenital mental illness. Such people deserve all the sympathy we give to people with clinical depression, schizophrenia or other mental ills.

Incidentally, the word transexual is misleading. A better term is the medical description "gender identity dysfunction".

Such people are born with the proper gender chromosomes. A male has an X and a Y chromosome in every cell of his body, and retains those even after surgery and hormone treatment. So he is male, because gender is determined at cellular level. A female has two X chromosomes, so is female. The problem they have is located in the brain. In other words, a mental illness. The identification of gender is stuffed up. And gender identity is located in the brain.

Is this normal ? No. Definitely not, and calling them some different way of being normal is shockingly misleading.

My personal view of 'normal' is that it refers to characteristics that are maintained by natural selection. There are a large number of gays in our species, and in other species, which makes me suspect that they have a role to play in the survival of the group, and thus evolution maintains a small number of gays around. You could thus call homosexuality "normal". But not hermaphroditism or gender identity dysfunction.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:36 pm

I agree with you sometimes, Lance.

"Normal" is five or ten percent between either side of the bell-curve.

I'm not "normal" in many ways. I like science and anime.

But I don't like dicks. Except my own.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:48 pm

I would disagree only with the 5 to 10%.
More like three standard deviations. Which means that for any characteristic, 99% is the normal. The half percent to each end of the bell curve are the ones not "normal".

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:59 pm

I'm trying to talk to the normies. They don't need to know about areas and stuff. Just throw some general numbers at them.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:29 pm

landrew wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:20 pm
Gord wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:53 am
...yeah, I'm not going to quote that one. It's too long. Go read it yourself.
Not me. You wasted a lot more time than I would have.
Oh, it's wasn't a waste of time. I enjoyed it quite thoroughly! Learned a few things in the process, too.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 pm

Gord wrote: Oh, it's wasn't a waste of time. I enjoyed it quite thoroughly! Learnt a few things in the process, too.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:14 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:56 pm
... Teaching primary and highschool kids how to be trans.

You scoff, but these crazy people are in positions of power, and in our schools, and they are teaching our kids this {!#%@}.

I doubt that anyone is teaching kids how to be trans. They may, and IMO should, teach what trans is - just as they should teach what straight is and the consequences of unprotected sex. As for age - certainly by the time a kid is in HS, they already know their preference. What they may not have an appreciation for is what 'others' may be experiencing - those who may be hiding their leaning, tormented by hate speech, wondering if it is OK to live, and not knowing that help is available. If teaching helps with tolerance, I am all for it. If it also starts a trans down the path toward an eventual reassignment surgery, that is OK too IMO, as after all nobody but themselves will be affected.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:12 am

Despite my father being a psychiatrist, my parents never discussed sex with me as a child. When I was about 9, we were watching a current affairs TV show in the late 60's about men who wore wigs. Mum saw two blokes on TV and said to dad, "I bet they are homosexuals". I assumed that meant they had sex at "home". That made me wonder where other people had sex, if not at home. I thought that for a week before asking mum if she was homosexual or had sex somewhere else.

When I was 15 I was starting to have sex with girls. Dad found out. Dad asked me to follow him into his home office and said "Was there anything about sex I didn't know and wanted to know about. That was a silly question, because if I didn't know about something, how could I ask about it?

For this reason, I think it is fairly important to have basic sex education fairly early on in school. It simply allows kids to sort of understand the reality of what they are meant to be thinking about, rather than holding misconceptions.
:D

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:52 am

TJrandom wrote:I doubt that anyone is teaching kids how to be trans. They may, and IMO should, teach what trans is - just as they should teach what straight is and the consequences of unprotected sex. As for age - certainly by the time a kid is in HS, they already know their preference. What they may not have an appreciation for is what 'others' may be experiencing - those who may be hiding their leaning, tormented by hate speech, wondering if it is OK to live, and not knowing that help is available. If teaching helps with tolerance, I am all for it. If it also starts a trans down the path toward an eventual reassignment surgery, that is OK too IMO, as after all nobody but themselves will be affected.
I can understand your disbelief, because it sounds nucking futs to any sane person. But it's a sorry state of affairs in our country, ATM. We're infested by far leftie loony ideology.

I mean, I consider myself a leftist. I'd even go so far as to call myself a socialist. I'm all for paying a bit of tax to build roads and railways, education, healthcare, and welfare. I've had use for them all. And the utilities were much more efficient and cheaper before the gubmint sold them to foreign corporates.

Sex ed is fine and required. At the appropriate age. You can cover homosexuality and trans "issues" in about two minutes. Some people prefer the same sex. And that's fine. Some like both. Very few people are born with congenital genital abnormalities. And very very few feel like they were born in the wrong body.

Please come and talk to me after class if you need to, and I'll help you, because bitch, we've gotta lotta biological science to cover and I've only got an hour to teach these hundred other kids that aren't special little snowflakes.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:12 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:12 am
I thought that for a week before asking mum if she was homosexual or had sex somewhere else.
Bwah ha ha ha haaa!

What did you think about someone "coming out of the closet"?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:35 am

Hide & seek. Boo!

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:56 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:18 pm
And nobody in ANY position of responsibility is teaching kids that self-mutilation is good. People (if there are any) who do that are crazy.
There are. In government positions. Teaching primary and highschool kids how to be trans.

Well, thanks for that information. I'll check it out. If that is really happening, it's disturbing. I recently visited with an old friend, who told me of an 18-year-old girl who is undergoing the procedure. He and I were both appalled by that. This is far too grave a decision to make at age 18. Perhaps it is, after all, the result of her education. My friend, an arch-conservative, was most annoyed by the fact that her parents are supporting her. We agreed that if this decision is really that important, the patient should be willing to pay for it.

I have to say, I think the result of the surgery, in all the cases where I have personally met the patient (a grand total of 2 in my long lifetime), is far from convincing. In one case, I knew the patient as a male and was later surprised to find that he/she was now a female. In the second case, I surmised after a few minutes' conversation that this person was not a "natural-born" female. Something about the bone structure showed me that this was a person who started life as a male.

Granted, sex is determined in many ways in nature. In crocodiles, for example, it's a matter of the temperature at which the eggs are incubated. Others, like some species of snails, are fully hermaphroditic and engage in circular chain mating. And still others can change from one sex to the other, apparently at will. (I forget which species those are.) So, in these species, sex is not the solid dichotomy that the fundamentalists would wish. It doesn't follow, however, that human beings ought to be making lightly the decision to undergo this surgery. Perhaps everyone considering it should read Gore Vidal's Myra Breckinridge.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:34 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:52 am

Please come and talk to me after class if you need to, and I'll help you, because bitch, we've gotta lotta biological science to cover and I've only got an hour to teach these hundred other kids that aren't special little snowflakes.
Ooh, that's harsh! :mrgreen:

But I do understand what you are saying. That word "norm" keeps cropping up here. And it's at the heart of the matter. It's really impossible to teach pure facts about human beings without communicating approval or disapproval, that is, including a normative message. So, kids may indeed get the message that gender change is merely an option, like choosing a career. (It's not.) I can't imagine that any but the rarest kid would think that the options "stay as I am/switch sexes" are really equally viable lifestyles for them. How to deal with those rare exceptions is the problem. If they show no obvious signs of mental disturbance and are able to deal rationally with the world in other respects, then they need to be taken seriously. If, as adults (and I think age 25 is an appropriate lower age in this one instance), they still want the change and can pay for it, then the law should recognize them as belonging to the sex they chose. And that last aspect is the ONLY point at which it's anybody else's goddamned business.

My position here is rather conservative, as it leaves intact the binary nature of the law. So, it leaves the hermaphrodites with a problem. But what in heaven's name are we to do? Some people think this is just one more civil-rights issue that can be resolved with another law such as the one passed in the US in 1964. But it is not that. "Binariness" is deeply embedded in every human society and has been since the beginning of history. And the vast majority of people are content that it should be so. That whole problem with the rest rooms required a huge adjustment. Women were outraged that people they regarded as male (and who WERE visibly male) could be allowed to use their toilets. Only on college campuses and in a few liberal cities (like Burlington), where I live, are gender-free, multiple-occupancy rest rooms with no locks on the doors provided to the public. At one time, if you wanted to use the rest room at the public library in Burlington, you would ask the librarian for a key. The librarian would silently and without thinking determine your sex and give you the appropriate key. No more. The keys to the two rooms are the same, although they continue to bear the labels "women" and "men." On week-ends, they simply leave the doors open wide on both rooms.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:31 pm

The tragic thing is that we really do not understand the condition and have no proper treatment.

There was a researcher some years ago who carried out post mortem brain examinations of normal people and compared them to those with gender identity dysfunction. The researcher found a brain structure he identified as being the gender identification part. It was large in both normal males and G.I.D. females, and small in both normal females and G.I.D. males. But this finding is controversial. The critics claim too few examples were tested to draw conclusions. That may or may not be so, but it is clear that the problem resides in the brain.

Any person with one X and one Y chromosome in every cell is male. Possibly a very confused male. Every person with two X chromosomes and no Y in every cell is female, albeit occasionally confused.

Sadly, there appears to be no research into the real cause of G.I.D. and no research into a genuine cure, which would target the brain and correct the gender identity problem, rather than falling back on surgical butchery and massive hormone doses.

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:48 pm

As I recall from genetics classes in graduate school, an XY chromosome pair is typical for a male human, but not always necessary. A number of abnormalities in the X and Y chromosomes can cause either the male of female phenotype to develop. As long as the gene that causes the testes to develop is expressed, the body develops as a male. If that gene is not expressed, the body develops as a female. The gene is normally located on the Y chromosome, but when it's not, or located elsewhere, or is non-functional, that's what accounts for a number of sex chromosome abnormalities.
Here are a few of the more common types:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_chromosome_disorders
https://www2.palomar.edu/anthro/abnormal/abnormal_5.htm
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Landrew

I am well aware of those abnormalities. My statement remains true. XY means Male. XX means female. Re-read your reference.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:06 pm

As for toilets in Japan - until maybe 40 years ago, and in many cases still - most were open-sex, or rather sex not specified. Some had urinals and an enclosed/closeted basin, and it was quite common for a man to be using the urinal while a woman used the basin if closeted. They normally had internal latches for those who sought privacy. The trend has migrated to separate men and womens rooms.

Roughly 20 years ago in Bejing, I used a public toilet to urinate, while just a couple of feet away a woman, butt to the wall, used the other end of the trough. Quite normal, but I understand that these were replaced when China hosted the Olympics.

I see no problem with co-ed toilets, used for their intended purpose.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:55 pm

Gord wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:12 am
What did you think about someone "coming out of the closet"?
I never heard the expression until I was an adult. We also didn't use the word "gay" in Australia until the mid 1980s. We used the words, "poof", "poofta", "queer", "homo" and "camp".

Hey mate, I bet you're queer as a row of tents! (camp) :D

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:17 pm

I've worked at hospitals. Let's put this in perspective.

Biology is a roll of the dice... Normally, mostly, usually, predominantly, you can bet on the expected result.

But!

Being born with some kind of mutation that doesn't even allow you to take a single breath is much more common than "feeling like you were born in the wrong gendered body".

Not to mention all the ones born with mutations - and survive to adulthood - that are able to cope and get on with their lives without crying for special treatment. The "normal" disabled people just want to get on with their lives as well as they can, with as little fuss as possible. They don't want special treatment, except a ramp and a toilet they can use.

Males are 4x more likely to be "born" schizophrenic than "trans". Schizophrenia effects women as well, about a quarter the rate.

But where's all the sympathy and help for people with a very well studied brain/mental disorder? Virtually none.

Unless you put on a dress and call yourself a lady... Then you get all the attention from the feminista, the media, and the govcorp.

The fact is, if you were born in a perfectly healthy body, and "feel" like it's not the right body for you, then you have a mental disorder. It's most likely psychological (you just believe it), it might be psychiatrical (a chemical imbalance), or in very rare cases, it might be physiological (an actual mutation that can be attributed to a biological muckup).

Having said all that, I was born with really big ears. The biggest ears you'll ever see. The first thing the nurse said when I was born was, "Oh! He has really big ears!" And I've lived with that constantly throughout my life. Constantly ridiculed and tormented throughout my early life.

"Dumbo" was the usual, unimaginative taunt.

Would I chop my ears off? No way!

Every taunt made me stronger. I started coming up with witty remarks to embarrass the taunter in front of their friends... All the better to hear how stupid you are. They're my brain radiators, bigger than yours. All my extremities are big, why are yours so small? Good grips while your mum rides me. And others... :)

Grow a thicker skin, is all I can really say in reply to all this PC snowflake pandering BS.

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:31 pm

I believe I read somewhere that although several studies have linked genetics to gender identity, none of them have been replicated. If someone has better information on this subject, please feel free to post it.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:49 pm

MM

My compliments for rising above the taunts. That takes strength of character. Some people when hit by 'the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune' collapse into a stinking pile of self pity. Others, who have the strength, become even stronger.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:01 pm

Everything I said is true, except the yo momma bit. :P