Donations that genuinely do good.

How should we think about weird things?
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Donations that genuinely do good.

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:17 am

http://www.givewell.org/charities/top-charities

We are all aware that giving money to charity may do good, or do very little. I am a supporter of the Fred Hollows Foundation, which carries out cataract operations in third world nations, thus restoring sight to the blind. They advertise that $25 is enough to pay for a cataract operation to give a blind person back his/her sight. This is pretty impressive stuff!

I am also a bit cynical, and I revised the sum in my own mind, realising that all charities carry costs. I assume that every $100 I donate will restore sight to a blind person. Even this sum is really very impressive. I compare it to a charity that advertised a few years back, here in New Zealand, for training guide dogs for the blind. Their statement is that it takes $22,000 to train a guide dog, so give generously! For that $22,000 given to the Fred Hollows Foundation, I would restore sight to 220 blind people! So guess which charity I support?

There is an organisation called GiveWell, which analyses charities to scientifically calculate which ones give the biggest bang for your donation buck. Their reference is above. They calculated that a charity that gives $5 insecticide impregnated mosquito nets to people in the malaria belt of Africa will save the most lives for every few dollars donated, so this charity is highly recommended.

Some people say charity begins at home. But I believe that all humans are equally deserving, regardless of whether they are my next door neighbours or peasants in Africa. So I give money where my dollars can do the most good for the most people.

Where do you give your money?

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Re: Donations that genuinely do good.

Post by OutOfBreath » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:57 am

I dont go that specific in my donations. I give monthly to the red cross, medicin sans frontiers and a norwegian refugee aid organisation. My wife give to unicef as well.

I prefer predictable monthly payments to be used at their discretion rather than single-causes.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:41 am

I don't give at all...... but support such charitable activities being supported by gubment taxes. the goals are laudible, but I've just seen too much fraud, plus.... I have a Scotch Soul. Docs w'o Borders certainly seems worthwhile. Long time back I read about giving new borns a Vitamin B shot or some such within a few days of birth: prevents blindness or retardation or some such so they can grow up to be good healthy child soldiers.

..........so.........more interesting to me is what to recommend to Bill Gates to spend his money on. Last time...few years ago...I thought he was wasting his millions on programs that address human illness or poverty...BECAUSE those problems don't go away. They aren't "solved" only postponed. Better I thought, and still think, is green energy self sufficiency as with energy you can address all kinds of problems and actually solve them. but Bill Gates is smarter than me, and has spent more time thinking about the subject. Must come down to some kind of attitude?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Bobbo

That reflects your pessimistic attitude to life.
Sadly, it does not reflect reality.

If you look at recent history, then you will see that while science and technology are going from strength to strength, there are advances in social development as well. Michael Shermer actually wrote a whole book on this, trying to establish a link between the two trends.

The point is that our efforts are NOT, in fact, futile. Things are getting better, and sincere efforts by all the people with resources can make a better world for everyone, including peasants in Africa.