Synchronicity

How should we think about weird things?
Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Re: Synchronicity

Post by Austin Harper » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:19 am

Carl-Jung.net wrote:The term synchronicity is coined by Jung to express a concept that belongs to him. It is about acausal connection of two or more psycho-physic phenomena. This concept was inspired to him by a patient's case that was in situation of impasse in treatment. Her exaggerate rationalism (animus inflation) was holding her back from assimilating unconscious materials. One night, the patient dreamt a golden scarab - cetonia aurata. The next day, during the psychotherapy session, a real insect this time, hit against the Jung's cabinet window. Jung caught it and discovered surprisingly that it was a golden scarab; a very rare presence for that climate.

So, the idea is all about coincidence: in this case, between the scarab dreamt by the patient and its appearance in reality, in the psychotherapy cabinet.

But this coincidence is not senseless, a simple coincidence. By using the amplification method, Jung associates in connection with the scarab and comes to the concept of death and rebirth from the esoteric philosophy of antiquity, a process that, in a symbolic way, the patient should experience for a renewal and vitalization of her unilateral personality, the cause of the neurosis she was suffering from.
(cf. http://www.carl-jung.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)/synchronicity.html

This whole concept is completely ridiculous.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster
Custom Title: In Search of Truth

Post by Nabarun Ghoshal » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:27 am

Austin Harper wrote:
Carl-Jung.net wrote:The term synchronicity is coined by Jung to express a concept that belongs to him. It is about acausal connection of two or more psycho-physic phenomena. This concept was inspired to him by a patient's case that was in situation of impasse in treatment. Her exaggerate rationalism (animus inflation) was holding her back from assimilating unconscious materials. One night, the patient dreamt a golden scarab - cetonia aurata. The next day, during the psychotherapy session, a real insect this time, hit against the Jung's cabinet window. Jung caught it and discovered surprisingly that it was a golden scarab; a very rare presence for that climate.

So, the idea is all about coincidence: in this case, between the scarab dreamt by the patient and its appearance in reality, in the psychotherapy cabinet.

But this coincidence is not senseless, a simple coincidence. By using the amplification method, Jung associates in connection with the scarab and comes to the concept of death and rebirth from the esoteric philosophy of antiquity, a process that, in a symbolic way, the patient should experience for a renewal and vitalization of her unilateral personality, the cause of the neurosis she was suffering from.
(cf. http://www.carl-jung.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)/synchronicity.html

This whole concept is completely ridiculous.
Synchronicity is not the only fantasy humans like to nurture. God, Astrology, Homoeopathy, Christian Science etc. are other examples. It is hard to get rid of fantastic ideas unless one approaches it form the sense that I myself came into being as the result of a series of phenomena. I find around myself a pleasant environment full of favourable factors to sustain myself and thank God for arranging them for me. But the fact is that all those factors in the environment led to my birth. That's why I find them favourable.

In our country, you will find magic healers in every nook and corner who treat patients with medicines suggested to the healer in dream. You will also find many temples in which the idols were found in the places suggested by the respective deities in dreams of the priest. You will sometimes find children talking about places they have never visited in their short life and hence, were definitely inhabited by them in one of their earlier incarnations. Fantasy will be there, as there will be rational thinking. It's the kind of education you received, which determines the way you would like to go.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:49 am

I have high hopes for India, though.
True it is currently a hotbed of superstition, but that is from a superstitious past. I know a lot of Indian people, and I am always impressed by their basic intelligence, shrewdness, willingness to work hard, especially at being educated, and general progressiveness.

India is currently developing in leaps and bounds. Inevitably, it will pass most western nations, and become one of the two or three leading nations. Science is growing in India. If this continues, we can predict the decline of superstition.

In my country, for the first time in history, we have more religious non believers than believers. Superstition collapsing - wonderful! I see no reason why that should not also happen in India.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:16 am

Nabarun Ghoshal wrote:It is hard to get rid of fantastic ideas unless one approaches it form the sense that I myself came into being as the result of a series of phenomena. I find around myself a pleasant environment full of favourable factors to sustain myself and thank God for arranging them for me. But the fact is that all those factors in the environment led to my birth. That's why I find them favourable.
True, the particular series of asexually splitting cells and sexually mating progentiors that got together that ended up producing each of us was very unlikely (not to mention this planet forming in this manner around an adequate star in a nice section of the galaxy). I'm pretty pleased with the way things turned out, all things considered.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Herez an angle that mite work:

Take your typical really dum guy, like 70 IQ. Altho he can function in society, read & rite, earn money at a simple job, he iznt very good at putting facts together and formulating a theory that explainz how thoze facts are associated.

An example situation:

"It wuz the wierdest thing! I find this rench set on the side uv the street. All there except the haf inch. Now get this! I'm walking along 2 minutes later and see sumthing shiny in the weeds. Believe it or not, its a goldang haf inch rench! THE SAME BRAND AZ THE SET! FITS RITE IN THE EMPTY SLOT! Wut are the oddz uv that?! Crazy coincidencez!"

To us, (or at least me) its not a coincidence at all. I can eazily imagine a beat up old work truck bouncing along the street with the tailgate open bekuz the ijit driving it iz still drunk and late for work, the whole set fallz out and the haf inch gets nocked out and tumblez a little farther, or wuz out uv the set before it fell and fell a few secondz later.
So, to me, all the detailz that made it seem more amazingly unlikely to the moron are exactly wut I woud expect.

Now take sumwun uv normal intelligence. An event that defiez chance will force him to try to think up sum sensible cauze, or maybe sum cauzer. But he cannot. Given hiz grasp uv reality, hiz education, all the knowledge in hiz hed and hiz ability to colate, synthesize, hypothisize and imagine, it still boilz down to coincidence.

Wut if its just bekuz hez not smart enuf? Same az the moron - the number uv facts and circumstancez are beyond hiz ability to juggle.

So suppoze there iz sum natural force uv order or intelligent entity controlling our livez or at least occasionally interacting with us. Wut if we simply arent smart enuf to make the connections between the myriad little events, patternz and factoidz that are raining on our limited sensez all the time?

Theze syncronicity events should be considered cluez, rather than simply dismissed az coincidence.

Nabarun Ghoshal
Regular Poster
Custom Title: In Search of Truth

Post by Nabarun Ghoshal » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:08 am

Lance Kennedy wrote: In my country, for the first time in history, we have more religious non believers than believers. Superstition collapsing - wonderful! I see no reason why that should not also happen in India.
Your country was born in the age of capitalism, a much advanced stage in human civilization. Ours is still a semi-feudal one, crippled by two hundred year-long colonial rule and still suffering under veiled colonial powers of different kinds who use the feudal forces as middlemen to steal our wealth in lieu of bribe. For their own survival, the feudal forces see to it that most people should remain in dark. This is the reason why a widespread scientific outlook is still a far cry in our country.

Gnomon

Post by Gnomon » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:08 pm

From the Karl Jung account of the event (Wiki : Synchronicity :
It was the nearest analogy to a golden scarab one finds in our latitudes, a scarabaeid beetle, the common rose-chafer (Cetonia aurata),
From the KarlJung.net quote by Austin Harper :
One night, the patient dreamt a golden scarab - cetonia aurata. The next day, during the psychotherapy session, a real insect this time, hit against the Jung's cabinet window. Jung caught it and discovered surprisingly that it was a golden scarab; a very rare presence for that climate.
This may be an example of the subtle mystification of a mundane event. Jung reported that it was "the nearest analogy to an Egyptian Golden Scarab" [what Americans call a June Bug]. The later account implies that it was an actual Egyptian Scarab , which would be quite magical under the circumstances. The coincidence of a Golden Scarab in a dream, and a Golden Scarab in real life would fit the mystical definition of Synchronicity : symbolic dream + symbolic object/event. But a symbolic Golden Scarab and a common June Bug fits the prosaic definition of Coincidence : symbolic dream + ordinary object. There's a subtle, but important difference between Analogous and Actual.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:45 pm

Gnomon wrote:
This may be an example of the subtle mystification of a mundane event. Jung reported that it was "the nearest analogy to an Egyptian Golden Scarab" [what Americans call a June Bug]. The later account implies that it was an actual Egyptian Scarab , which would be quite magical under the circumstances.

That sounds like a much more rational interpretation.

The human mind is not the most reliable of witnesses. We have this habit of morphing reality into mythology when it suits. Carl Jung was also not the most reliable of pundits, since he was very much into mythology.

Researchers into eye witness events have proven solidly that an eye witness to a crime is one of the worst possible forms of evidence, since what they later report can differ markedly from what really happened. As good skeptics, we should bear this in mind whenever someone says : "I can prove it. Someone saw it!"

And yet, this most unreliable of all evidences is accepted by most people as the most convincing. Go figger.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Concerning miracles, consider Littlewood's law.
Littlewood's Law states that individuals can expect a "miracle" to happen to them at the rate of about one per month.

. . .

Littlewood defines a miracle as an exceptional event of special significance occurring at a frequency of one in a million. He assumes that during the hours in which a human is awake and alert, a human will experience one event per second, which may be either exceptional or unexceptional (for instance, seeing the computer screen, the keyboard, the mouse, this article, etc.). Additionally, Littlewood supposes that a human is alert for about eight hours per day.

As a result a human will in 35 days have experienced under these suppositions about one million events. Accepting this definition of a miracle, one can be expected to observe one miraculous occurrence within the passing of every 35 consecutive days – and therefore, according to this reasoning, seemingly miraculous events are actually commonplace.
That pretty much says it all, I think.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?