Unproven Naturopathic Diagnostic Tests?

A skeptical look at medical practices

Unproven Naturopathic Diagnostic Tests?

Post #1  Postby Rozzy1 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:00 am

Hey everyone,

There's been alot of advertisements these days promoting a bunch of Naturopathic physicians around my area ,  and alot of them claim to specialize in treating various diseases... ( usually EVERYTHING )....
They list a bunch of diagnostic testing that i've never heard of,  here are some examples:

Food Allergy Screen (blood test for IgG4 and IgE antibodies against 100 foods)
Heavy Metal Screening: 8-24hr Heavy Metal Urine Test or Challenge
Stress / Adrenal Function - saliva
Female Hormone Panel (11 sample saliva over one month - 24 tests)
Comprehensive Stool Analysis
Comprehensive Stool Analysis with Parasitology
Yeast Culture & Sensitivity
Candida Antibodies
"Hair analysis
Urine Amino Acids
Plasma Amino Acids
Leaky gut (Intestinal Hyperpermeability test)
Hepatic Detox profile
Red blood cell nutritional/toxic elements:

Alot of them claim that all these tests originated in Europe, where they still use them regularly, and that "allopathic doctors haven't caught on to these yet, but they are very accurate and can help nurse you back to health."

Is there any truth to these tests, or is it just a big waste of money with no actual results?
Some of these tests cost as high as 600 dollars....  
What are some of your experiences with them?  

Thanks in advance.

Roz
Rozzy1

Re: Unproven Naturopathic Diagnostic Tests?

Post #2  Postby Pyrrho » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:16 pm

There might be some information at Quackwatch
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.
Pyrrho
Administrator

Post #3  Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:50 pm

$600 for all of them? That's a pretty damned good deal!

Most of them (at first glance) are real tests performed by real, private medical labs. But real, private medical labs don't much care if real medical doctors aren't submiting the samples for real diagnoses... Anyone can walk in off the street with a jar of piss and ask for any analysis. And they'll do it - for a fee.

You could cut out the middle man and save probably half of the fees by dealing directly with a private lab. :wink:

Or cut the fuss and just ask your GP for a full health check and blood-work. Maybe your insurance or govt will pay for it.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.
Major Malfunction
Likes a hyphen
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post #4  Postby JJM » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:23 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:$600 for all of them? That's a pretty damned good deal! {snip}
$600 for quackery that (may) cost more elsewhere, is not a good deal.  Jim's suggestion of quackwatch is on target.  Aside from searching the specific tests there, it has is a specific site for naturopathy http://www.naturowatch.org/
JJM
Veteran Poster

Post #5  Postby Rozzy1 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:47 am

Thanks for your replies...

Actually it was 600 for ONE test... haha...
Most of them varied around 300 dollars, but one was up in the 600 dollar range.

Some of them just sounded strange to me... probably more the tests that the Naturopaths do on you themselves, not the one's sent to a lab.

There was one where they use "Electro Dermal" testing which will source out all your food allergies....
Makes no sense to me how that would work.

Here's one here on this website:

http://www.drhalbrown.com/electro-dermal.php

It states the following:

Electro-Dermal Testing is a form of electro-acupuncture testing used in our clinic. We have found the BioMeridian MSAS technology to be the most specific and comprehensive available to date. Electro-Dermal testing is a non-invasive energetic evaluation.  It was developed in Germany over the last 35 years by a number of physicians, dentists and scientists, and applies biophysical techniques to Oriental acupuncture. The original technique started in 1953 by Dr. Voll was a complex procedure involving measuring hundreds of acupuncture points. The Electro-Dermal testing method is the culmination of much of this research.

The skin resistance on the acupuncture point is measured by producing a slight potential difference (voltage) between a tip electrode held against the point and a large hand electrode held by the patient.

The procedure measures changes in skin resistance at the acupuncture point in circuit with the patient. The testing is painless, involving no needles, shocks, scratches etc., and allows for specific information regarding the patient's health phase of disease, and which precede the more advanced visible tissue changes phase.

The testing procedures involve several stages :

FIRST TEST
This test (organ scan) shows energetic imbalance in specific organs and may identify general areas of system stress that may require further investigation.  These results are not diagnositic but rather supplement other means in diagnosis and treatment.

SUBSEQUENT TESTING
Subseqent testing depends on the major findings of the intial tests, physical examination and history. It may involve a search for more specific toxins, infections, food sensitivities, focal stressors, dental foci or other underlying significant health stressors.

FOLLOW-UP TESTING
Follow up testing may occur on a regular basis to monitor the progress of the recommended treatment programs and to determine if other deeper problems may be of significance.

Although the Electo-Dermal Testing cannot be used for absolute diagnosis, its value as an indicator of underlying dysfunction is of great benefit.

Strange.
Rozzy1

Post #6  Postby JJM » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:19 am

Rozzy1 wrote:{snip}
There was one where they use "Electro Dermal" testing which will source out all your food allergies....
Makes no sense to me how that would work.
Quackwatch covers that, too.
JJM
Veteran Poster

Post #7  Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:50 am

Rozzy1 wrote:Actually it was 600 for ONE test...

Figured as much. I bet the labs fees are less (for the real tests).

The Natro earns his living off the difference. He may even receive a commission from the lab. Who knows with private labs? They're only in it for the money.

Like I said, for a fee they'll provide a printout of any specified parameter for any cup of piss off the street.

As a Natro, I would recommend you take as many tests as you'll gulliably accept and pay for, whether they are relevent or not, whether I know WTF they mean or not. I'll show you a printout from a Lab, spin some {!#%@} about your {!#%@}, and you'll pay me and the lab. Hey. It's good for you, and it's good for capitalism. Believe me. I know what I'm talking about.

I may even apply some low current probes (or warm rocks, whatever. Maybe a spoon. Microwaved mud?) to you skin and charge you my monthly energy bill. Whatever works for you, works for me.

I see you're retaining stress in your glutoids. You need some paddling for that. Shall we say... Next week? Usual fee.

*prescription signed, Doctor Major Mmmmm*
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.
Major Malfunction
Likes a hyphen
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post #8  Postby Major Major » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:38 am

well..I work in a hospital lab, actually a student in training...but humour me!
many of the above-mentioned tests are very legit.

-allergy screen...something, I believe, normally performed by the doctor.
-Culture and sensitivity is very very common.
-I don't know why they'd test for Candida antibodies as opposed to traditional culture, but it doesn't sound quaker to me.
-Stool analysis is common, obviously; they may even test for parasites like the pinworm
-hair analysis is legit, but not often practical.
-I don't know why they'd perform a female hormone panel on saliva. Testing the serum is much more sensitive.

The only tests I'm unsure about are the leaky gut and hepatic detox profile, mostly because they are very vague descriptions.
how exactly does one test for intestinal hyperpermeability? If someone did have such a condition I'd assume they'd have elevated levels of pretty much EVERYTHING.
Major Major
Poster

Post #9  Postby JJM » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Although some of the "tests" may be legit, others dubious, and still others full out nonsense.  It is important to note that naturopaths are totally incompetent MD wannabees.  http://www.naturowatch.org

Even if one gets a legitimate test from a legit lab, naturo interpretations and recommendations are certainly bollocks (as they say, across the pond).  Some argue that homeopathy is the ultimate quackery since they admit there is nothing but water (or alcohol, or sugar) in most of their remedies.  However, I think naturos are the ultimate quacks because they employ homeopathy along with every other widely-known pseudo-health nonsense.  

If there is a unifying feature of naturo, it is the elimination of unspecified "toxins."  This notion was discarded by mainstream medicine around 80 years ago.  It is the hallmark of a cult that nothing promoted by the founder can be rejected.  And so it goes with this pseudo-health cult.
JJM
Veteran Poster

Post #10  Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:38 pm

My sister had a test done.   The 'doctor' held objects against her shoulder while she had her arm outstretched against his hand.   She was required to push against his hand as the objects were touched.   Anything she was allergic to would make her push less hard against the 'doctors' hand, which the very experienced dude would detect.  

I tried to explain to her that the whole thing was utter garbage.   She eventually agreed with me, but it took several years, and in the interim, she quite unnecessarily restricted her diet to avoid the things she was 'allergic' to.  She has since returned to a normal diet without harmful consequence.

Amazing the hold that the quacks have on their victims.
Lance Kennedy
Super Skeptic
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post #11  Postby JJM » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:01 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:My sister had a test done. {snip}
For anyone who wants to learn more, that is called "applied kinesiology" and you can read about it at http://www.quackwatch.org  

There is a legitimate field called, simply, "kinesiology" so don't confuse the two.
JJM
Veteran Poster

Post #12  Postby St. Jimmy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:42 pm

JJM wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:My sister had a test done. {snip}
For anyone who wants to learn more, that is called "applied kinesiology" and you can read about it at http://www.quackwatch.org  

There is a legitimate field called, simply, "kinesiology" so don't confuse the two.

It should really be called isapplied kinesiology.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.
St. Jimmy
ghostbuster
Frequent Poster

Return to Healthcare