Burning wood.

A skeptical look at medical practices
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Burning wood.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:21 am

Reference, New Scientist, 2 June 2018, page 23

The use of wood burning stoves to heat homes is not good. People often believe that sophisticated stoves are not terribly polluting. Wrong.

If you have a wood burning stove at home, you are exposing yourself and your family to much more air pollution, inside your house, than industry ever does. Harmful particulates, including carcinogens, are released. The people harmed second worst are neighbours, from the harmful material spewing from the chimney. This makes wood burning stoves a violation of neighbourliness.

Even the cleanest stove produces 8 times as much harmful pollution as a diesel truck with its engine idling. Imagine 8 such trucks with their engines idling all night, parked next to your house. That is the harm it is doing.

The only way around this is to stop burning wood. Or any other fuel. Coal is worse. What I have in my home is a heat pump, which is clean, very efficient, and does not require buying or chopping wood.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Burning wood.

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:51 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:If you have a wood burning stove at home, you are exposing yourself and your family to much more air pollution, inside your house, than industry ever does.

You're triggering my pedantic side again!

1. If I have a wood burning stove but don't use it, then industry is exposing me to much more air pollution than the stove is.

2. If I'm living right next door to a masssively polluting factory, even the output of my wood-burning stove in full use might dwindle next to those potential smokestacks.

3. Wood smoke does not contain every possible pollutant in appreciable doses. My neighbouring chemical plant might put out a lot more methyl isocyanate than the sticks I burn in my stove: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

But other than that, I agree that wood burning stoves are unacceptably ineffecient and produce more pollution than would be allowed from any other form of heating a home.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:33 am

Does that heat pump warm you when you are outside – cutting, hauling, splitting, and stacking wood? Does it build muscle mass? Does it provide for interaction with others in the wood supply chain? Is it nice to look at on a cold morning? Would you make love to a nubile sweetie in front of it?

No, I thought not!

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:58 pm

The W.H.O. recognises the burning of wood and other fuels as one of the big killers in third world nations, where there is no choice but to use inefficient fires for cooking. Estimates vary, but average around 10 million unnecessary human deaths each year.

A modern home does not need to expose people to such harm. Yet we do. Not smart.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:10 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:The W.H.O. recognises the burning of wood and other fuels as one of the big killers in third world nations, where there is no choice but to use inefficient fires for cooking. Estimates vary, but average around 10 million unnecessary human deaths each year.

A modern home does not need to expose people to such harm. Yet we do. Not smart.

So that is why third world nations have so many kiddies - curled up in front of the fire...

I don`t buy the 8-diesel trucks spewing exhaust into your home comparison to an efficient (catalectic converter incorporated and external air supplied) wood stove with exhaust vented to above the roof line. Ya got a link or can quote the data from your source?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:00 am

I gave the link. The latest New Scientist. Not an internet link, of course, but usually New Scientist posts its stories on the internet within a week or three.

The reason why the third world "has so many kiddies " is the same reason that they have to use crude stoves for cooking. Poverty.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:24 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:I gave the link. The latest New Scientist. Not an internet link, of course, but usually New Scientist posts its stories on the internet within a week or three.

The reason why the third world "has so many kiddies " is the same reason that they have to use crude stoves for cooking. Poverty.

Yes - but I was most interesting in the comparison between 8 diesel trucks parked adjacent to a home and the exhaust of an efficient wood burning stove with flue above the roofline. I suspect that this is a gross exaggeration in terms of the effect on the home dwelling human.

We also have fuel oil space heaters which are unvented – thus leaving all exhaust within the room. And there is still in Japan as well as in other Asian countries, compressed coal bricks which are burned in a depression below the floor. I suspect that both of these would provide the residents with greater pollution than wood stoves.

I`ll try to watch for the article...

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:55 pm

I felt the same, to tell the truth. Ie, 8 diesel trucks versus one wood burner. But the difference is that the wood burner is inside your home. Normally, New Scientist is pretty much correct, so I am not going to query it too strongly.

As I said before, my home has a heat pump. Clean, easy, and not too expensive to run. I feel that it is no longer acceptable to pollute the air just to keep warm.

Return to “Healthcare”