Politically correct nonsense.

How should we think about weird things?
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Re: Politically correct nonsense.

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:02 am

I probably pushed that point too far, but I seriously dislike it when someone is spouting bull dust. Mara got me going with his indigenous people living in harmony with nature. The only thing stopping such people doing massive ecological harm is that they lack the technology. Humans, modern and ancient, do not live in harmony with nature, but at least modern humans are learning ecological principles, and many are making the effort to do less harm.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:25 am

ecologies change, often causing extinctions.
Mara seems upset that humans didn't become extinct when their environs changed, but instead decided to change the environs.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 am

Exactly.
Humans are masters of changing the environment to enable survival. You could call that an adaptation.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:49 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...wouldn't those cultures all be noble savages? If not, why not?
To be a noble you need to own land as an individual, as well as be born into a noble family or get raised to being a noble.

I think it would be hard to review land titles for a communal Papua Nu-Guinea long hut, full of hunters and gatherers, who share the land. :D

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:52 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...wouldn't those cultures all be noble savages? If not, why not?
To be a noble you need to own land as an individual,...

Own land? Gee...in my mind the role model for Nobel Savage is the american native indian or various Pacific Islander communities all who had no notion at all of land ownership....not even of their tribe. So, are you very cleverly in a round about way saying there never have been any noble savages for real or even in the imagination? Could it then be moved to more modern settings and be applied to Wall Street Day Traders?....or how about unknown rock and roll band managers?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Post by Nikki Nyx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:15 pm

gorgeous wrote:fox-----A Democratic mayor’s warning to illegal immigrants of an incoming ICE raid in northern California may have led to a number of illegal immigrants with violent and sex-related convictions evading capture and deportation.
Let's just analyze how fake news is created, shall we?

1. "May have." Use of this phrase means that anything theoretically possible can be passed off as "news." Ignorant viewers will ignore the ambiguity of "may have" to believe the fake news, since it stratifies their confirmation biases.

2. "A number." Use of this phrase is intended to convey "a large number" in the minds of the ignorant, who ignore the fact that zero is a number.

3. Buzzwords intended to generate anger in the ignorant viewer of FauxNews: Democratic, illegal, violent, sex-related, convictions. The viewers' emotions are sparked by these words, so they're unable to recognize the ambiguity of the report...and no part of this "news" reported an actual event, but only the potential for a possible event. Yet the ignorant viewer will conclude that Democrats are protecting violent, felonious, illegal immigrants, which is not remotely factual.

Use your brain, G, if you have one.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:Stanley Freberg, an American comedian, was making fun of politically correct behaviour in the 1950s. It is still funny today. Here is Stanley trying to sing "Ole Man River" while the politically correct police are buzzing him to become more politically correct.
[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLlTlYfqQV4[/bbvideo]
Of course, in 2018, it would have to be "Senior Genderless River." :roll:

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Statistically speaking, ICE could have rounded up an equal amount of US citizens and would have caught more people with violent and sex-related convictions.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Mara wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I don't know WHAT I would do or advise a kiddie looking to make his way in this world today. In Ca...I got a fine education almost for "free." It should be available to anyone with the aptitude and desire to do so.

I pity the kiddies.
THAT IS EXACLY WHY I DO NOT HAVE CHILDREN DESPITE A VERY KEEN PARTNER OF 14 YAERS AND A STABLE FINANCIAL SITUATION. Anyone who brings a child to this world today i.e. imposes life on a creature, is either ignorant, stupid, selfish, or all at the same time. Sorry guys, but there really is no other way to explain it. It's not a miracle, it's a simple primate/animalistic hormonal need to, essentially f*ck and reproduce, nothing more, rats and rabbits do the same, be more intelligent.

I appreciate this will not be a popular post but what the hell...maybe it will make a prospective parent with more than a half a brain think ahead...
A factual analysis of an issue is not offensive, IMO. If I were 30 years younger, I doubt I would have children.

My daughter is 28 years old, and she's an only child. I raised her on my own after my ex-husband selfishly decided that fatherhood was not for him, despite the fact that we planned the pregnancy. (I should specify that I actively raised her; she was the only one in her kindergarten class who already knew how to read, and the only one in her 5th grade class conversant with reproductive health.) All parental prejudice aside, I'm proud of my daughter on the daily. She's intelligent, empathetic, generous, creative, and a brilliant critical thinker.

That having been said, she's already decided not to have children for several logical reasons. First, she's taken a good, hard look at the genetic information she would be passing on, and concluded she'd rather not burden a child with our family's history of chronic medical conditions. Second, she's thought about the current political, environmental, economic, and social trends, and concluded that she would, in effect, be condemning a child to a lifetime of struggle.

It took her quite a long time to discuss this with me, being under the impression that I expected grandchildren, an impression I quickly corrected to, "I'd love grandchildren if YOU want to have children. But you don't OWE me grandchildren. My only expectation is that you enjoy your life and make your own choices."

I don't know how one would go about raising children in this era of self-centeredness and entitlement. But I know I wouldn't want to make the attempt.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:45 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Talking about depleting the planet's resources makes no sense if humans actively increase the resources through asteroid mining and solar energy harvesting more efficiently than plants can.
Neither does it make sense if humans establish colonies on other planets or live in generation ships.

In short: anti-natalists presume to know how the future of the universe is going to play out and have decided that humans will be the doom of it: it is just another form of anthropocentric view of the universe.
Reminds me of the self-hating naturists who consider the beaver's dam to be "natural," but the Hoover Dam "unnatural." As if human beings are not part and parcel of the food chain, but somehow "artificial." :roll:

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:More importantly, human life expectancy continues to grow (except, strangely, in the USA.)
Nothing strange about it.

We have the best health care in the world...if you can afford it. Those who object to socialized medicine fail to take into account the facts: When every member of a population has both preventative and reactive health care...
1. ...every member of that population is healthier, because contagion is reduced.
2. ...the cost of health care lessens, because emergency care and long-term care for preventable health issues (like heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and dental decay) are the most expensive. (I've heard the "I'm young and healthy" argument. Yeah, you won't be for long when everyone around you is constantly ill and you're ignoring preventative care and nutritional needs.)
3. Because of numbers 1 and 2, society improves immensely. People aren't taking time off work because they're constantly sick. They're not wasting money on reactive care that should have been dealt with via preventative care. They're happier overall, and a happier society is a more productive and less violent society.

We have delicious and nutritious food...if you take the time to look for affordable sources, ignore misinformation, understand that fueling your body properly takes time and effort, and refuse to let your cravings dictate your diet. Sure, you can spend $5 at Taco Hell for one meal, or you can spend about $15 worth of ingredients (ground beef, rice, beans, cheese, and fresh veg) and an hour's time and eat for a week.

This kind of cooking is infinitely customizable too. Have a burrito one day. Combine ingredients in a bowl and add stock; you've got soup. Fold everything into an omelette. Make a quesadilla or nachos or chilaquiles or taco salad. But people would rather spend more than twice the money and more time driving to Taco Hell...then suffering for it both in the short-term and the long-term.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:42 pm

fox-----Student booted from Christianity class for insisting there are only two genders
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:59 pm

gorgeous wrote:fox-----Student booted from Christianity class for insisting there are only two genders
Good student. There are only two genders. What gender are you pretending to be today? :lol:

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:27 pm

gorgeous wrote:fox-----Student booted from Christianity class for insisting there are only two genders
Christians don't like facts. What else is new?

SpectateSwamp

CBC is too Politically Correct

Post by SpectateSwamp » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:08 pm

I posted the following comment on a CBC special on Politically Correctness

Spectate Swamp
Political Correctness is saying "shut the F*** up" with that talk. Nothing else.

Where I come from those are fighting words. To expect different is ludicrous.
------------------------------------------------------

They removed this comment..
CBC is very very politically correct.
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/a-politic ... -1.4683963

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Re: CBC is too Politically Correct

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:12 pm

SpectateSwamp wrote: Political Correctness is saying "shut the F*** up" with that talk. Nothing else.
No, not nothing else. Its all definitional. It would be more fair/balanced to say both positions simply say stfu to the other positions. Or....that they both invite an alternative point of view? Should any idea be thought of as the Label they put on themselves (diametrically opposed in this debate) or viewed by the effects they have (just the same in this debate)?

Rare is the subject that means only one thing.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:18 pm

When the wrong opinion can put you in prison.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Spectate does have a point. Politically correct people tend to treat their politically correct opinions as if they were revelations from a deity, and any opposing opinion is blasphemy, to be shouted down.

Hex
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: mi malam ciuj el vi

Post by Hex » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:39 pm

Mara wrote:THAT IS EXACLY WHY I DO NOT HAVE CHILDREN DESPITE A VERY KEEN PARTNER OF 14 YAERS AND A STABLE FINANCIAL SITUATION. Anyone who brings a child to this world today i.e. imposes life on a creature, is either ignorant, stupid, selfish, or all at the same time. Sorry guys, but there really is no other way to explain it. It's not a miracle, it's a simple primate/animalistic hormonal need to, essentially f*ck and reproduce, nothing more, rats and rabbits do the same, be more intelligent.

I appreciate this will not be a popular post but what the hell...maybe it will make a prospective parent with more than a half a brain think ahead...
If you had just included the rider, "In my opinion" or "this is why I chose not to have children" it wouldn't have come off as being an arrogant, narcissistic, {!#%@} comment.
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoaOJZ7Dfk

Hex
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: mi malam ciuj el vi

Post by Hex » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:41 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Spectate does have a point. Politically correct people tend to treat their politically correct opinions as if they were revelations from a deity, and any opposing opinion is blasphemy, to be shouted down.
Absolutely agree. Anyone who declares themselves offended also doesn't want to get into a debate and defend their position, plus the added bonus of virtue signaling to others, in their minds at least.
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoaOJZ7Dfk

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Never debate a zombie, because they'll just eat your face.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:49 pm

That offends me. Zombies eat the entire body, not just the face. If you've never died and returned to life, then maybe you shouldn't be trying to define those who have.
trump is Putin's bitch

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:14 am

Well, I suppose you're right. Lips and arseholes are the tastiest bits. Put 'em in a bit of pastry with some gravy, chuck some tomato sauce on it, and call it a meat pie.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:23 am

Are you confusing zombies with cannibals?
trump is Putin's bitch

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:44 pm

Set your recorders:

Munk Debate on Political Correctness
11:50 PM on CSPAN 95 • CC

Georgetown University sociology professor Michael Eric Dyson, New York Times columnist Michelle Goldberg, actor Stephen Fry, and clinical psychologist Jordan Peterson debate political correctness at the bi-annual Munk Debates in Toronto.

///////////// and off topic but most interesting starting in 30 minutes:

Global Forced Migration Crisis
7:10 AM on CSPAN 95 • CC

A forum of the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) examines the global economic and national security challenges resulting from forced migration.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:13 pm

Aztexan wrote:Are you confusing zombies with cannibals?
I'm just empathising with zombies. Even tho' I've never eaten a human's lips or arsehole (that I'm aware), I can kind of understand why they'd go straight for those.

Predators do it, too, if you've ever seen a nature documentary. Straight for the lips and arseholes...

We civilised humans put them in a pie. If an Aussie says, "Mate. I could really go some lips and arseholes right now", what he means is he's hungry, and would enjoy a meat pie.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Aztexan wrote:That offends me. Zombies eat the entire body, not just the face. If you've never died and returned to life, then maybe you shouldn't be trying to define those who have.
Cats will eat your face.
phpBB [video]
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:19 pm

All I see is a black screen.
Or is that a visual representation of what it looks like after you've had your face eaten off by a cat?
trump is Putin's bitch

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:19 pm

This looks undoubtedly like a
black cat in a coal mine.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
Aztexan wrote:That offends me. Zombies eat the entire body, not just the face. If you've never died and returned to life, then maybe you shouldn't be trying to define those who have.
Cats will eat your face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ENkypXQek
ftfy. [video] not working anymore, eh. Gotta use [ytube]. :-D
Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:25 am

Aztexan wrote:All I see is a black screen.
Yup.
landrew wrote:This looks undoubtedly like a
black cat in a coal mine.
Hi landrew! :wave:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?