Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:41 pm

Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

The Gnostic wing of Christianity, if it can even be called that today, has quite a few differences to Christianity and Catholicism. If the old Gnostic Christians were here, they would hardly recognize what has happened to the original Orthodox Catholic Church or its various offshoots in Protestantism and Islam. The Gnostic Christian Jesus would have a fit and would be quite disappointed I think. I know that this Gnostic Christian is.

Please suffer through a bit of boring history.

The main differences that moved the old Christians to decimate Gnostic Christians and burn their scriptures was literalism in reading scriptures. They were also more patriarchal and were not about to grant equality to women. Much later, gays would also lose the equality that they enjoyed. These were Jews don’t forget. The Gnostic version of Jesus and his Father was that they were Universalist. That communistic view of the demographics of heaven did not go over well with those who had a more pyramidal view of what they wanted God to be. War was declared and my side lost.

That is why we think literalism to be quite evil. Proof is shown by the fact that it led to the Dark Ages, the Inquisition and all the other affronts to humanity that the Abrahamic cults have collectively done and continue to civilized society. Not too civilized but we Abrahamic cultists are what we are. If we were not sinners we would not be seeking a God to forgive us.

The Gnostic Christian Jesus, and the Gnostic Christians of that flavor, see a spark of God in all people including women and gays. That fact, to me, makes Gnostic Christianity a more desirable denomination of Christianity than all the rest. After all, if a religion cannot accept equality of humans as a starting place, then it cannot be a good religion. All souls are equal. That is scripture. That is why we connect equality to righteousness. If a religion cannot abide with equality of the sexes then to my mind it is not a just religion and is not worthy of the support of moral people.

Inequality is an immoral position and most of the Abrahamic cults are of that immoral persuasion. They take, --- he shall rule over you, --- to an immoral institutionalized position.

As the superior Catholic theology, it is my hope that Gnostic Christianity will eventually absorb the non-egalitarian and immoral Christian cults. I hope their members recognize that equality is the right moral system for all to live under, and that as religionists, to not actively support equality for all, would make any denomination of the Abrahamic cults more of a satanic cult than a God loving one.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 12247
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:59 pm

My invisible friend is stronger than yours and tells me to burn the world in nuclear fire.

I mostly ignore him, because I know he's insane.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21631
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:02 am

Cthulhu says Gnostic Christianity is a lie.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:11 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Cthulhu says Gnostic Christianity is a lie.


No more than any other religion.

We do not believe our own lies though. We are a thinking mans religion.

Regards
DL

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22561
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:20 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Cthulhu says Gnostic Christianity is a lie.


No more than any other religion.

We do not believe our own lies though. We are a thinking mans religion.

Regards
DL


Why have one?
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Lausten » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:37 am

So, here's what I hear. You're not going to like it. I'm honestly interested in what you have to say about this. Remember, this is me, reflecting what I hear, so I'm not attacking you, I'm telling you what I hear. If you think I'm wrong, correct me.

That is why we connect equality to righteousness.
That's where you start to lose me. "righteousness" is just as undefined as "spiritual". I doubt you could ever define it in a way that would be different than the better values that humanity has worked out over the centuries.

Inequality is an immoral position and most of the Abrahamic cults are of that immoral persuasion.
And there you go. You just defined the "other". You just said "we treat everyone equally, except those people who say they are better than others." You go on to say you are "superior" and will "absorb" as if you are the Borg (Star Trek Next Generation, look it up). I understand that intolerance should not be tolerated, but that's not what you are suggesting, and you give no clue of basing your conclusions about righteousness on reason or logic, just scripture. That is your major "sin", if I may borrow that word.

The "sin" of following scripture, or a spirit of a man, or whatever it is that you do, is that you leave no room for discussion. That's what Gnostic does isn't it? They keep telling there is some mystery to be uncovered if you just keep following the leaders? Even if not, doesn't matter, secular morality is superior because you can question it, because you have to make your case for your moral rules based on something demonstrable. I hear no evidence from you, "we're better".
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21631
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:40 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Cthulhu says Gnostic Christianity is a lie.


No more than any other religion.

We do not believe our own lies though. We are a thinking mans religion.

Regards
DL

Then why do you want me to believe your lies?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Fab Yolis
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:46 am

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Fab Yolis » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:46 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:We are a thinking mans religion.

Then that would explain why your religion is practically extinct!
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
- Mark Twain

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:49 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Cthulhu says Gnostic Christianity is a lie.


No more than any other religion.

We do not believe our own lies though. We are a thinking mans religion.

Regards
DL


Why have one?


The ease of moving to open our higher minds.

I do not use the Gnostic Christian myth as much as the Christian one because it works quite well for me.

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find.

Regards
DL

Fab Yolis
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:46 am

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Fab Yolis » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:04 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?


Yes, and I ultimately found it wanting.

The Gnostic wing of Christianity, if it can even be called that today, has quite a few differences to Christianity and Catholicism.


Do they both treat un-evidenced assertions as truth simply because those assertions come from some alleged holy authority? If so, any differences they might have are beside the point.

The Gnostic version of Jesus and his Father was that they were Universalist. That communistic view of the demographics of heaven did not go over well with those who had a more pyramidal view of what they wanted God to be. War was declared and my side lost.


Translation: the Gnostics failed to understand that religion is ultimately and necessarily about politics and control, and consequently lost the political game to the Catholics.

That is why we think literalism to be quite evil.


Category error: it is superstitious ignorance which is “evil”. Literalism and Gnosticism are both forms of superstitious ignorance.

After all, if a religion cannot accept equality of humans as a starting place, then it cannot be a good religion.


And if a religion doesn’t exclude certain people based on some arbitrary criteria, then it cannot be a popular or effective religion.

All souls are equal. That is scripture.


Depends how you cherry-pick the scripture, doesn’t it. Btw, this is an example of that assertion stuff I was talking about.

As the superior Catholic theology, it is my hope that Gnostic Christianity will eventually absorb the non-egalitarian and immoral Christian cults. I hope their members recognize that equality is the right moral system for all to live under, and that as religionists, to not actively support equality for all, would make any denomination of the Abrahamic cults more of a satanic cult than a God loving one.


And it is my hope that they will relinquish magical thinking and bronze-age fantasies altogether. We don’t need some religion to tell us that equality is desirable.
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
- Mark Twain

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22561
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:13 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Cthulhu says Gnostic Christianity is a lie.


No more than any other religion.

We do not believe our own lies though. We are a thinking mans religion.

Regards
DL


Why have one?


The ease of moving to open our higher minds.

I do not use the Gnostic Christian myth as much as the Christian one because it works quite well for me.

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find.

Regards
DL

I think you'll have to start by showing that an entity known as "Jesus" and any "God consciousness" (I hope that wording works?) even exist?
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:14 am

Secular government has not been quick at giving women equality so perhaps Gnostic Christianity is here to help with that.

I do not think you are a woman though as she would not have answered in your way.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:16 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Cthulhu says Gnostic Christianity is a lie.


No more than any other religion.

We do not believe our own lies though. We are a thinking mans religion.

Regards
DL


Why have one?


The ease of moving to open our higher minds.

I do not use the Gnostic Christian myth as much as the Christian one because it works quite well for me.

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find.

Regards
DL

I think you'll have to start by showing that an entity known as "Jesus" and any "God consciousness" (I hope that wording works?) even exist?


That second link answered that question.

It is all myth.

Regards
DL

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22561
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:17 am

No, I am Yaldabaoth. :-P
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12221
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby kennyc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:28 am

scrmbldggs wrote:No, I am Yaldabaoth. :-P


Wow, learn something every day they say....

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/bibli ... ovah07.htm
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21631
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:41 am

This is all gnu shtick to me.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Fab Yolis
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:46 am

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Fab Yolis » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:52 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find.


Yes, the one which resides exclusively in your (narcissistic) imagination.
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
- Mark Twain

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:45 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:No, I am Yaldabaoth. :-P


There are cheep drugs out there for that condition.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:This is all gnu shtick to me.


Interesting history and morality but if you have no spiritual itch to scratch, it is not worth the research.

If you do, it can enlighten you.

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find.

Regards
DL
Last edited by Gnostic Bishop on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find.


Yes, the one which resides exclusively in your (narcissistic) imagination.


Exactly. As we all do.

Rudolph Steiner says it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ1PDxeUynA 

Regards
DL

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12221
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby kennyc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:03 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:No, I am Yaldabaoth. :-P


There are cheep drugs out there for that condition.

Regards
DL


Ah, but RELIGION IS A DRUG. YOU should go cold turkey. There are many who can help you with your problem -- even for free at no cost. In fact there are people here that will help. :D
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 pm

kennyc wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:No, I am Yaldabaoth. :-P


There are cheep drugs out there for that condition.

Regards
DL


Ah, but RELIGION IS A DRUG. YOU should go cold turkey. There are many who can help you with your problem -- even for free at no cost. In fact there are people here that will help. :D


Some drugs are quite healthy.

Regards
DL

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22561
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:No, I am Yaldabaoth. :-P


There are cheep drugs out there for that condition.

Regards
DL

I was just contemplating becoming a Kibbles 'n Bits food tester. But I'll draw the line on meds for Ovis aries.
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9410
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Poodle » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:16 pm

GB, you appear to claim an awful lot of knowledge of the intentions of Jesus. As it should be, I suppose, as you claim to be gnostic.

From whence does this knowledge come?

I've looked on the Christian Gnostics website, which comes up with "The gnostic style of faith is free, open, and creative" and claims that the gnosis in question is knowledge of the scriptures (says who?). This immediately informs me that these guys are BS - what on earth does faith have to do with gnosticism and since when was simple knowledge redefined in such a convenient manner?

Please tell me that you are not an adherent of such a blatant reinterpretation of a very old tradition.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:28 pm

Poodle wrote:GB, you appear to claim an awful lot of knowledge of the intentions of Jesus. As it should be, I suppose, as you claim to be gnostic.

From whence does this knowledge come?

I've looked on the Christian Gnostics website, which comes up with "The gnostic style of faith is free, open, and creative" and claims that the gnosis in question is knowledge of the scriptures (says who?). This immediately informs me that these guys are BS - what on earth does faith have to do with gnosticism and since when was simple knowledge redefined in such a convenient manner?

Please tell me that you are not an adherent of such a blatant reinterpretation of a very old tradition.


As I understand them, absolutely. Gnostic Christians were a cut above when Constantine decided that literalists were easier to control than free thinkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

My old interpretation is simple. Literalism cause evil and all literalists should stop reading myths like it was history when they are just myths.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Lausten » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:23 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:As I understand them, absolutely. Gnostic Christians were a cut above when Constantine decided that literalists were easier to control than free thinkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

My old interpretation is simple. Literalism cause evil and all literalists should stop reading myths like it was history when they are just myths.

Regards
DL

A) I've seen these links before. Is this a repeat thread? Or maybe from the CFI forum?

B) Where is your evidence that Constantine decided literalists were easier to control. I've done a little research into the 4th century, and Constantine was an Arian Christian when he died. He called the Nicean council because he wanted the differences to be settled, but he later regretted supporting the Nicean creed. Theodosius supported Augustine, but I don't think they were any more literal than anyone else at the time. The big difference was Augustine brought Paul's rules back into the forefront instead of Peter's more "saved by works" spirituality. But everyone, even Gnostics were saying they had the right interpretation, just like you're doing here. Then Theodosius started killing everyone who disagreed with him. That's evil.

You're saying "read it as myth" but then you say "When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find." That's still a prescription which you claim to know and claim you can teach us. I say, "When you can read a book, and know that it is a book, then you will know you are on a path to knowledge. If you discover something about yourself in that book, all the better."
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:38 pm

The evidence is in that link unless you wish to ignore scholars.

We do know that both literalists, who only followed the 4 main gospels, and non-literalists that did not want to just follow the 4 main gospels and who were free thinkers.

We do know that literalists won because Gnostic Christianity disappeared along with their gospels.

If you were a Monarch, would you support those you could easily manipulate or those who were more belligerent in all issues?

Regards
DL

User avatar
digress
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am
Custom Title: doomer
Contact:

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby digress » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:02 pm

I don't know Gnostic Christianity so I suppose that makes me an aGnostic Christian.

Mr. Bishop, equal rights in this world is pennies. I've larger goals. What religious claim(s) does Gnostic Christianity practice toward human redemption as apose to other Christian demoninations?

For example, How fast will you condemn my circumstance to eternal fire if I reject your offer?
  God is an idea.  

"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12221
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby kennyc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:37 pm

Lausten wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:As I understand them, absolutely. Gnostic Christians were a cut above when Constantine decided that literalists were easier to control than free thinkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

My old interpretation is simple. Literalism cause evil and all literalists should stop reading myths like it was history when they are just myths.

Regards
DL

A) I've seen these links before. Is this a repeat thread? Or maybe from the CFI forum?
.....


Well, this guy is everywhere spreading his BS....

I've seen it on numerous forums....
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Lausten » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:The evidence is in that link unless you wish to ignore scholars.

People on forums who say that instead of summarizing their knowledge and providing REFERENCES, are almost always wrong.

Gnostic Bishop wrote:We do know that both literalists, who only followed the 4 main gospels, and non-literalists that did not want to just follow the 4 main gospels and who were free thinkers.

We do know that literalists won because Gnostic Christianity disappeared along with their gospels.

That is just a restatement of your original claim. Easily found evidence, including things you've said, show Gnostics were just as literal as anyone else. And it didn't really disappear, so much as get pushed out of the Roman empire. The Greek philosophers works also got pushed out and floated around in the east for a while. Now, here's the 10 million $ question. Why did Greek philosophy make a come back, leading to the enlightenment and the scientific revolution and Gnostic Christianity end up an obscure philosophy that most people don't care about?

Gnostic Bishop wrote:If you were a Monarch, would you support those you could easily manipulate or those who were more belligerent in all issues?

Regards
DL

If being a Monarch were as easy as supporting those you could easily manipulate, we wouldn't have a bloody history of constant conquering and we probably wouldn't have overthrown those monarchs either. How could we if we were so easily manipulated?
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Fab Yolis
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:46 am

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Fab Yolis » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find.


Yes, the one which resides exclusively in your (narcissistic) imagination.


Exactly. As we all do.



So why go to the bother of fabricating another imaginary construct?
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
- Mark Twain

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:04 am

digress wrote:I don't know Gnostic Christianity so I suppose that makes me an aGnostic Christian.

Mr. Bishop, equal rights in this world is pennies. I've larger goals. What religious claim(s) does Gnostic Christianity practice toward human redemption as apose to other Christian demoninations?

For example, How fast will you condemn my circumstance to eternal fire if I reject your offer?


Burn heathen burn.

First.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6I5VSZVqc

Gnostic Christianity is a Universalist religion. We do not have a hell and wonder why any believer of any religion would think their God would condemn what can only be and do what he created them to do.

If we are all sinners it would be because God wants us to be as is.

We do not say we love all our brothers as love goes by works and deeds but be you a believer or not, don't be stupid enough to believe in a hell and demons and Satans and what not. It is all myth.

Gnostic Christianity does not believe in woo.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:10 am

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find.


Yes, the one which resides exclusively in your (narcissistic) imagination.


Exactly. As we all do.



So why go to the bother of fabricating another imaginary construct?


Your answer is in our tribalism, groupish or hivish nature.
You are getting ahead of me. I have not given this my final look, --- but have a look.
Why, believer or not, you seek a Monotheistic God.

Because that God is you. Instinctively speaking.

Our hiving or groupish natures and desire for friendship and fellowship lead us and statistics are showing how well our selfishness is working in terms of rapprochement for each of us to the whole world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBW5vdhr_PA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST86JM1RPl0

This tribalism is both a blessing and a curse. The hive/you, seeks to unite with the other hives, --- is everyone's basic hive mind's number one desire. This is your base driving force for survival.

We desire one God and human master above all other desires. We all crave a monotheistic world while wanting that God to be ourselves. We call that freedom. We are all in this together while all wishing to stand alone and above. Some call this our selfish gene and without it we would go extinct.

Note the wisdom of the first few self-centred commandments. Like that God, we are all quite self-centered. Not near as barbaric as the bible God in most cases though, --- and our recognition of duty sends that self-centeredness to duty and love, --- when it turns outwardly or towards others.

If I was to define God as, --- ( just the best set of rules to live life by ), --- then the statement, --- believer or not, you seek a Monotheistic God, --- becomes truth.

That God, --- described as rules and laws, --- is what believers seek.

Non-believers seek the same thing, but with an ideal that is a human leader (s), and not a supernatural being.

It seems that our natural selfishness turned duty is serving us well as a species if the trends are real. Remember to continue to seek an ideal in rules and laws.

If you have found God, you are an idol worshiper. Your bible or holy book condemns such an action.

As said in Candid, we are in the best of all possible worlds, because this is the only possible world. The world evolves and our political Gods as well as our religious Gods and masters must also all evolve.

We all seek a Monotheistic God and we all want him or her to be us. We do look outwardly though for the role model, --- and that is what makes the search worthy.

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21631
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:26 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find.

Regards
DL

My god's name is "Single Malt".
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:06 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, then you will begin to know the only God you will ever find.

Regards
DL

My god's name is "Single Malt".


You must be a Yank and do not know about Crown Royal.

Single Malt is for ------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30lGrarz3MQ

Regards
DL

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22561
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:08 am

What's with all the sermons from the church of YouTube?
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3593
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Lausten » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:11 am

Non-believers seek the same thing, but with an ideal that is a human leader (s), and not a supernatural being.

It seems that our natural selfishness turned duty is serving us well as a species if the trends are real. Remember to continue to seek an ideal in rules and laws.

You really need to get out more, because you have lost touch with reality.

As said in Candid, we are in the best of all possible worlds, because this is the only possible world.

I think it was the guy that Voltaire was making fun of that said that.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

clarsct
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 pm
Location: The Cultural Desert

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby clarsct » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:31 am

I looked into it.

Ultimately, there are unsupported claims.

And the tenets I read, and mentioned elsewhere, seem to contradict...God was int he beginning, yet God will be born of man..?

Overall, there is no evidence. On the other hand, I haven't seen a Gnostic Christian beheading folks and the like. It is more internally consistent than Scientology, but that's a damned low bar.

Meh. If you like it, then God Bless. Come to my house preaching, and get arrested for trespass.
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

User avatar
Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2331
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:56 pm
Custom Title: Deep

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Scott Mayers » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:40 am

"Gnosticism" I believe is the default standard of secular civilization. The term itself indicates the nature of what it really is, "G(k)nowlegde". If you pay attention to most of history's religions, you can see the secular nature hidden in the context of the various religious texts. The problem of it appearing a form of religion itself is only due to the fact that (a) we humans, like all animals, are naturally predisposed to favor our emotions over the intellect and only use what intelligence we need to overcome barriers, (b) that in the dialectic philosophies of people back then realized that to discover the truth of nature also curses us to recognize that we are meaningless with respect to nature logically and so the ethics we devise in the morals we create have no justice to nature itself, are relatively arbitrary in how we select them, and vary from person to person.

This realization only acts to defeat the ways we are able to convince others to respect our justifications for the unbalanced fairness that truly exist by default. So Gnostic Bishop, either you are wrong or you are pretending you're right that we had started in a state of equality in the past. The truth is, that we are 'equal' in our potential ability to reason logically, but that the realities themselves truly are unfair and for animals is always a struggle to compete in a constant state of imbalance.

The reason people even began to 'save' this knowledge with intention to hide these truths were due to the fact that if everyone truly knew of the facts stated above, it disarms the power of trying to live in a civilization because everyone would feel justified in acting upon their more selfish drives and make even the society lose its membership in the delusion of civility. So the intentions of even the original Gnostics of all beliefs (not simply Christianity) were to actually aid in enhancing the delusion of all the other beliefs to take their stories in a form of literal interpretation.

That is, things like the story of Genesis, tells a secular story using words that have an apparent dualism intended to entertain the less intelligent to hopefully take the interpretations that disguise the real truth. For example, "Adam" was a term that was originally used to mean all Humans derived from the Earth. This was further derived from "Atum", an objective form of the word, "Aten". "Aten" meant "that which contains or shapes". Thus, to the Egyptians who used this, referenced the shape of the sun, its disc. From the subjective perspective of the Sun, in which people presumed all life is derived (no different than our present understanding that we are all "stuff of the stars" to indicate our present scientific wisdom), and the energy that provides life through the rays of the sun (Re) like an eye of 'god' to the Earth as an object, sees the Earth and its own 'shapes' as an objective form akin to the Aten, and called it Atum. [This is also the source of our term, 'atom', that got passed on to us in time.]

"God" acts as an unknown variable, like 'X' might stand for any unknown number (as a value = good). And the story of Adam being formed from the literal 'clay' of Earth is to mean to communicate that it derives its definition from the Earth from which we live on, like atoms or Atum.

I can and will be writing a book on this eventually to expand on this. But as you can see, even in this simple example, the way Genesis is told as if to tell a story of a particular man is only an evolved interpretation who lose the connections between the way people originally used the same words to define the very nature around them. But, like the fantasy of how we like poetry, music, and stories through books or movies act to emotionally help us internalize ideas easier, the literal meaning of scriptures are intended to entertain as much as inform. But since the literal interpretations by others act to actually aid in maintaining conformity to values of morality or other social laws (when taken literally), the idea of encouraging the masses to take a literal interpretation of a dictatorial set of magical beings serves the justification more for keeping the truth understood by those in the 'know' (the Gnostics) in the power they need to maintain stability and power.

So, Lausten may be the wiser one here. Certainly, even if he argues to defend the virtue of a more literal interpretation, how do you know that he isn't simply a true "Gnostic" in disguise?
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:01 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:What's with all the sermons from the church of YouTube?


I am lazy and they show what I want shown quite well. Enjoy.

Regards
DL


Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest