Wuts Oiling Your Girz Today

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: Wuts Oiling Your Girz Today

Postby Poodle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 am

Major Malfunction wrote:Tomato juice should only be polluted with pepper, celery salt, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Tabasco, and vodka. Poured over ice in a tall glass, with a celery stick for stirring, and a few stuffed olives on a toothpick for nibbling.

Fully approved. I'm arriving at yours for breakfast tomorrow.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 pm

Poodle wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:Tomato juice should only be polluted with pepper, celery salt, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Tabasco, and vodka. Poured over ice in a tall glass, with a celery stick for stirring, and a few stuffed olives on a toothpick for nibbling.

Fully approved. I'm arriving at yours for breakfast tomorrow.

I agree: fully approved.....although I use this recipe (It must be on the back or label of something?) with V-8 juice as well. I only drink this when the T-Juice looks like it might go off and I have all the chili beans I want, but...I keep thinking to try different hot sauces to note their effect AND I do from time to time add some soy sauce (cheaper than Worcestershire even though I like anchovies). In fact, I've made myself thirsty just reviewing the subject.....

But I post to second TJ's adventurous suggestion. Both acidic both sweet....should be a good combo "and then" see if adding the Bloody Mary elements back in would also be nice? TJ for breakfast, BM for dinner?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:52 am

Today is my birthday – a day which a year ago wasn`t odds favoured to arrive, and those odds didn`t reverse for several more months. At present, unless I do something stupid, I am odds favoured for another three to five, and for this I am elated. I enjoy every day and being able to tick off those bucket list entries. And who knows, I might still live forever.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:14 am

And many more!
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 pm

Happy day after your birthday! And such. :leftovercake: :hangovermedications:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:28 pm

TJrandom wrote: I might still live forever.

I've come to terms with dying....did so at 21 and the draft. amusing to note I now have the same acceptance but am more curious to see how the human race deals with its challenges. Leaving me with the question: what would it take for me to get bored enough to end it if nature was held in abeyance? The Highlander wants to know.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:11 pm

As Freddy Mercury once asked, "Who wants to live forever?"

Tho' I reckon I could use a couple hundred years.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:44 pm

Most peepl will probably say 100 yirz, but wait till they are 99 and in good helth & ask agen. Then theyd say 1,000, so ask agen wen they are 999 and in good helth.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:30 pm

Have you asked any 200 year olds?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:03 am

Yes. He sed "at least 2,000" and then tried to bite my arm off kuz he'z a shark.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:29 pm

fox------Oregon woman finds mountain lion napping in her home: 'This is wild'------The odd encounter took place on July 8 in the Ashland, Ore., home of Lauren Taylor.

After drinking from a pond in Taylor’s backyard, the cat likely entered her home through an open back door, she explained in Facebook. The post had garnered more than 17,000 reactions and shares as of Tuesday morning.
-----------After entering the home, the cat was startled by Taylor's roommate, who screamed upon seeing the mountain lion. This prompted the wild animal to hide behind the sofa, where it snoozed for several hours.

Taylor made a noise to wake the feline, but then “gazed lovingly into her eyes, and communicated using feline-speak eye blinking to calm her,” she wrote.

“It was amazing to realize that this worked. I gazed lovingly then blinked hard and then she did it back,” Taylor continued, adding that the cat then went back to sleep. “She clearly felt safe and she showed no inclination to leave."
--------------When the cat awoke a second time, Taylor said she “again connected in a loving gaze and communicated trust through blinking.”

With just “a couple hours to dawn,” Taylor decided it was time to “prompt her to leave without alarming her so much that she panicked.”

The Oregon woman then used a drum to encourage the lion to exit the home.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:51 pm

I`m sure that there is a Readers Digest feel good message somewhere in there...

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Soundz like she must hav been sumbudyz pet. Normally, a wild cat will kill & eat you.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Whew! Finally a morning at 22c - following weeks of 27c or higher.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:14 pm

TJrandom wrote:Whew! Finally a morning at 22c - following weeks of 27c or higher.

It was be 68F here in the morning. (6 am)
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Perfect viewing conditions for the Lunar eclipse here from Melbourne. Perfectly clear, still. I could only wish it were summer, and earlier than 5:30 AM.

I've sat up all night for this. I'm going to regret it tomorrow, but these opportunities don't come along often. AND I've got my kids here as well! It's like the age of Aquarius!

I suppose I should get my reflecting telescope out for the occasion...

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Lucky you. We have rain pushed ahead of a typhoon, so the best I could do was watch via the net.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm taking some photos by poking my mobile down the viewhole. Won't be anything professional, obviously. But they're turning out OK. Good enough to brag on Facebook. :)

Well, it got too dark during eclipse for my phone to detect, so I dug out my camera and was happy the lens fit perfectly snugly in the eyehole, as if it was meant to, and managed to get in a few more grainy shots before the clouds rolled in, and the moon hid behind a tree.

However, I tripped down the stairs in the dark, and think I've done some serious damage to the same foot I nearly broke not long ago. Worth it.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:25 pm

Still transitioning to Win 10.....really irritating when a favorite program works perfect in Win 7 but picks up bugs in Win 10. What to do??? Well....download the latest version? Ha, ha....that's what I did with Avidemux, a program to take ads out of recorded video. Most of my complaints were fixed....yea!!

but….I still wonder. Under W-7, Avidemux would immediately load and you could edit the file without issues. NOW...it takes 1-2-3 minutes to "Building Map" and then it introduces synch errors if you don't cut on an I-Frame of video. Why is the update worse than whatever was already working? Its probably not their fault, but I blame $MS!!!

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:47 pm

Dr.s pleased with my eye. But more work will have to be done.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Took my desktop computer to a friend's house last night so he could work on it for six hours. He got it to stop freezing.

Then I started it up this morning, and it froze during the start-up. Twice. Because it hates me.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:32 am

"Sometimes" just disconnecting and reconnecting all the parts will clean things up...some wisp of corrosion on contacts and what not. My mouse has not worked well in my new machine...I blamed $MS of course but after looking for settings and drop down menus and driver updates and what not...…...I just unplugged the mouse from its standard location on the backplate and plugged it back in to the usb connector right next to it.

Mouse now works flawlessly.

So simple: Its dumb.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:20 am

Update on my mouse. Found out it works as desired if I remove the "Remove mouse when typing" drop down menu. When the mouse would transverse typed material, it would go invisible and get lost. With that option de-selected, it works as desired. I think the function actually worked in Win7 but Win10 went backwards.

As usual.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:47 am

Some computer problems are dumb, and almost impossible to determine unless you have a shedload of parts.

One job I had a freezing PC. I did all the usual things, reinstall OS, replace RAM, replace CPU, replace motherboard, replace power supply, replace the HDD, replace the GFX card. It was a whole new computer, and still doing the same thing. It was like it was a cursed machine. Then I noticed one time it worked when I was too lazy to plug the CD drive in. So I replaced that. Still same problem. But now I knew what it was... The goddamned CD drive SATA cable. Something so cheap and innocuous that you'd never suspect it for freezing-up a machine.

I've never had so much satisfaction cutting a cable in my life. :)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:56 am

I think the dumbest/simplest problems are often the worst. as in: hard to find. I had a bad sata cable once as well....."How can THEY GO BAD?" No moving parts etc. ((I know...thermal expansion...but still!!)

GORD: come to think of it, I think I had a freezing computer once and it was a bad mouse. for some reason....I just don't make the connection of a bad mouse being able to freeze a computer......but its an example of "Everything is connected to everything else" sort of not diagnosing anything...but just noticing something that gives you a clue.]

I've had more issues than I think I should with bad meeses. I hate them to pieces!!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:01 am

My latest little project which should be in the sand subforum: my car battery got drained and I can't find my battery charger...………...so, I took a spare 12 volt 1 amp external hard drive converter, stripped the wires and connected it. The wires spark against each other but there is no spark across the battery terminals. I don't know why it should not work? Just a very slow charge?...….but evidently it doesn't have enough amps to start the process? I'm thinking about cannibalizing an old psu that does have the amps, but my failed proof of concept has put me off a bit. Still.....10 minutes of time to connect a spare PSU rather than spend $$$ on another "formal" battery charger? If it worked....then all I would have to do is monitor it so as to not overcharge the battery? Not too hard????

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:53 am

I'm guessing, bobbo, but I presume that your converter doesn't have current limiting. If so, the current drain charging a flat car battery is potentially massive and the output voltage will collapse. It'll probably do the job in time - but that may be a LONG time. And your converter may get a bit hot. In fact, it may burn itself out,

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:28 am

Lead acid batteries don't like being fully discharged. The lead plates become oxidised, collapse, and make contact. There's no fixing that, no matter how much you charge them. It's an internal short. The electrons just go in one terminal and out the other.

They need constant electron pressure inside to hold the plates up. So maybe time to spend some of those $$$ on a new battery and a solar trickle charger, if you don't drive often, to help prevent it happening again.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:53 am

Thanks Poodle: My "project" used a standard 1.5 inch long external hard drive converter.....so I think it just provides 12 volts at .300 amps and that's about it? I expect it to take a long time....could be days even and that's ok....I have the time. Back History of interest: My first attempt did produce sparks across the battery terminal and the wires were cool to the touch so I thought it was working. 5 Minutes later I checked and found the converter itself very warm and no more juice.....so I assume I had my polarity crossed which I knew was a risk I was taking. So....I got the current converter out at 12 volts and 1 amp and it had color coded wire showing a white stripe on the positive lead....so I wired my clips that way and there are sparks when I strike the leads together but there is no spark across the battery terminals. Hmmm....I'm going to reverse the polarity on the wires just to see if I get a spark? But then disconnect if I do because the polarity would be wrong...….
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MM: that's true....and a new battery is on my list....I just have to be able to drive there and get one?

The dead battery has been totally drained before for the same reason: car door open light left on over night. Its taken a jump start many times in the past....I'm just interested in not bothering my neighbors AND using up some of my old computer parts. Why buy the cheapest special built charger for $$$ when I can "make do" for free?

Can you confirm MM? I get the feeling you think absent a shorted out battery my little converter should work? At the computer forum they say "NO" because of the ((I forget what)) of the lead acid battery. What they say doesn't make sense to me AS DOES your statement that the battery could be shorted out?

That's the thing with ignorance and lack of experience with ELECTRICITY: Its a mystery.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:55 am

Tiger rescued from three room apartment.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:55 am

Dupe.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:33 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Dupe.

If you make a duplicate post, and no-one has replied yet, you can just delete it.

Or are you calling someone a dupe?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:39 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Can you confirm MM? I get the feeling you think absent a shorted out battery my little converter should work? At the computer forum they say "NO" because of the ((I forget what)) of the lead acid battery. What they say doesn't make sense to me AS DOES your statement that the battery could be shorted out?

That's the thing with ignorance and lack of experience with ELECTRICITY: Its a mystery.

The physics and chemistry of lead acid batteries are very well described. I direct you to Google.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:51 am

Yes, I agree. and from that description, I think it should work......but it doesn't. I always try to read first, then give the issue a try. On failure: ask for help. Often times, people will give it.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:57 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Dupe.

If you make a duplicate post, and no-one has replied yet, you can just delete it.

Or are you calling someone a dupe?

Sounds like work.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:53 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Yes, I agree. and from that description, I think it should work......but it doesn't. I always try to read first, then give the issue a try. On failure: ask for help. Often times, people will give it.

I've given you my help. Your battery is {!#%@}. Buy a new one.

You're supposed to change your battery every 3 years. But I've had batteries last 6 years.

It depends.

Load and weather are two big ones. But let it go flat is the number one {!#%@} no.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:01 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Sounds like work.

Skepticism, science, and critical thinking ARE hard work.

That's why we're here, fighting lazy thinking.

Who wants to imagine the world if we lose?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Sounds like work.

Skepticism, science, and critical thinking ARE hard work.

That's why we're here, fighting lazy thinking.

Who wants to imagine the world if we lose?

So, you've been to Arkansas.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Gee....the battery in the Toyota has been going for over 15 years now with regular bouts of total discharge because the door light is hard to see and the door looks closed when it just isn't closed enough. The car is total junk now but gets good mileage, carries things, always runs, and no one will steal it. STill...my next car will be a mini-truck. Might encourage me to take a few road trips and with the bed in back, could even pay for itself.

Only because the battery has recovered from similar discharges so many times....I doubt it has shorted out. Trouble with the internet is I have read that sulfated plates can....or cannot...be revived. so...I don't know. I am currently (sic!) recharging non-rechargeable AA's with no problems at all.

Everything we read, even on the Internet, is subject to caveats...……….

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:So, you've been to Arkansas.

I've seen it on TV. That's close enough for me.

Return to “The Nexus”