"Healing" Solfeggio Frequencies

A skeptical look at medical practices

"Healing" Solfeggio Frequencies

Post #1  Postby Rozzy1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 am

Hello all --

As a healthcare professional, I've seen good results with patients using meditation and self-hypnosis to reduce anxieties and stress levels while in an acute hospital setting while awaiting or recovering from various surgeries.

A recent patient presented me with a recording on his Ipod by a well known clinical hypnotist, in which positive affirmations are repeated over top of music recorded using something called the "ancient solfeggio scale", in which these frequencies/tones apparently have the capabilities to "dissolve negative emotions and events being stored at a cellular level". Each frequency allegedly works on different emotions and events…. (what?)

My first reaction was immediate skepticism, but I'm usually pretty open minded to everything in the beginning…

The only frequency I remember in the past of having an effect was something called the "brown sound" which was such a low frequency that people would lose control of their bowels. :P

Here is a link to the audio recording I was presented:

http://www.hypnosisaudio.com/cds-downlo ... tation.htm

After doing some looking around, I can only find that most of this information originated from someone named Leonard G Horowitz and his 1999 book "Healing Codes for the Biological Apocalypse".  

I'm not familiar with his work and can not find a copy of this book at the local library.

Anyone have experience or have heard any truths that there are certain sound frequencies out there that actually have capabilities to effect one's emotion?

Mark
Rozzy1

Re: "Healing" Solfeggio Frequencies

Post #2  Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:27 am

Rozzy1 wrote:
Anyone have experience or have heard any truths that there are certain sound frequencies out there that actually have capabilities to effect one's emotion?

Mark

I saw something recently on a study that seemed to show positive effects from cats' purring. IIRC, they thought it was the frequency as much as anything. No speculation as to why.
"Learning will never hurt you. Only the man who knows too little knows too much." - Rex Stout
OlegTheBatty
Uppity Atheist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post #3  Postby Hex » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 am

Rozzy1 wrote:As a healthcare professional, I've seen good results with patients using meditation and self-hypnosis to reduce anxieties and stress levels while in an acute hospital setting while awaiting or recovering from various surgeries.

Meditation has a long history that helps someone with controlling (For lack of a better word.) their emotions. But, it isn't something that happens just because you want to do it. There are some kind of teaching involved to get to where you want to be. From my own experience meditation has helped in calming the mind and helped in making things clear. However, these are not lasting effects and takes some effort and continually doing it to really get something from it. Buddhism is one of the few religions that embraces science and technology and are open to have their claims denied or confirmed.

I find hypnosis to be no more than a parlor trick, than anything that is legitimate.

A recent patient presented me with a recording on his Ipod by a well known clinical hypnotist, in which positive affirmations are repeated over top of music recorded using something called the "ancient solfeggio scale", in which these frequencies/tones apparently have the capabilities to "dissolve negative emotions and events being stored at a cellular level". Each frequency allegedly works on different emotions and events…. (what?)

Ugh... science has already covered this as nothing more than claims of charlatans.

The only frequency I remember in the past of having an effect was something called the "brown sound" which was such a low frequency that people would lose control of their bowels. :P

No doubt that some frequencies can have a biological effect (Like making Crocodiles randy) but, be very skeptical about any claims of actual physical effect. Simple logic tells you that we are inundated with different kinds of frequency of sound everyday. Wouldn't you think that there would be a number of frequencies that would have such physical effects upon us? Let alone uncontrollable bowel movements. Maybe someone equated frequencies when they where observing IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome.)  

As this article shows, low frequencies, that we cannot hear, can induce different emotional responses. Many ghost "sightings" that make people afraid, uncomfortable etc. that they attribute to a ghost turned out to be a source of these frequencies.

So, yes, be skeptical, believers often cherry-pick science to help prove their beliefs. but, if you read the whole scientific article it usually says the exact opposite of their claims.

OlegTheBatty wrote:I saw something recently on a study that seemed to show positive effects from cats' purring. IIRC, they thought it was the frequency as much as anything. No speculation as to why.

I don't know about this nor am I saying it isn't true. But, I own a cat, I like his purring, but the purring alone really wouldn't do much for me (Listening to a recording.) I get a positive response because he is there when I feel lonely and just having him around is nice. If I am in a bad mood, (Angry, heart-broken etc.) he does little to make things better. If anything his wanting of attention can just make it worse. This is all anecdotal of course.
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER  

Hex
mi malam ciuj el vi
Regular Poster

Post #4  Postby Gord » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:10 am

I suspect this may fall into the category of "music is universal."  It is often claimed that everyone reacts the same way to the same music because the music itself directly causes the emotions.  However, I recall a study done on the universality of music, and it turned out that people from different cultures reacted differently to music -- whereas one culture might find a tune to be "sad," another would consider it "happy."

Although it was just one study and I only vaguely remember the main points in the conclusion, it is my limited understanding that it is unlikely for one frequency to be experienced with the same emotional response universally.

Obviously I haven't sited any actual evidence, and my anecdote is weak, but if I were to investigate this more I would start there.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site

"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Return to Healthcare