Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches)

A skeptical look at medical practices

Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches)

Post #1  Postby Gwarh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:42 pm

I wanted to post here and see if anyone else has heard of or come across this product. And if so have any "red flags" been raised about it in your reading/research.

The Cefaly Headband, which claims to reduce and relive symptoms of Migraine Headaches.

Website: http://www.cefaly.ca/
Similar product for sale on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cefaly-Kit-electr ... B004LSJJVI

Two of my Co-workers were discussing purchasing it as they both suffer from Migraine headaches, but my BS Radar Alarm went off when I heard them discussing it, and visited the website. If it really can do what it claims to do why isn't it proscribed by Doctors on a Mass scale.

I want to be wrong as I sympathize with the pain they go through when under a Migraine attack. But I also don't want them to be hoodwinked by another Metal/Magnetic Bracelet which this time they wear on their heads instead of their wrists.

Has anyone encountered or read up on this device? My Googling comes up with next to nothing other than anecdotal evidence and a list of studies cited on the official website, but of course no links to the actual study results.

Any info, input, advice is much appreciated.
"Ad hoc ergo propter hoc"
User avatar
Gwarh
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:57 pm
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #2  Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:46 am

Looks like a variation on the wristband used to prevent seasickness.  I predict the two have one thing in common.  They don't work!
User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Super Skeptic
Has More Than 5K Posts
 
Posts: 5382
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:20 pm
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #3  Postby rickoshay85 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Looks like a variation on the wristband used to prevent seasickness.  I predict the two have one thing in common.  They don't work!


What works for me is locate the headache with my fingers, trace the size of the area with my fingers, and try to figure out how deep it is...  Then, miraculously the pain is gone. Don't ask me how... It just works...  

rickoshay85

I'm an idling motor waiting for a resonate post to put me in gear.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
rickoshay85
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #4  Postby Atimolos » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:07 pm

I saw a report about it on Global TV 2 weeks ago.  I have suffered some severe migraines since my 20's so I gave it a try. (Call me a sucker)

IT ACTULLY WORKED FOR ME!!!!

The feeling is very intense (almost painful) but after the 20 minute session, my migraine pain was almost gone. It is hard to describe, but my head felt "lighter", and less tense.

I have been following the recommended preventative schedule and so far I haven't had a migraine in 8 days.

It may not work for everyone, but it worked for me.
Atimolos
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #5  Postby Gwarh » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:43 pm

That’s excellent news Atimolos, and I'm happy for you.

Having said that

Not to be a jerk, but anecdotal evidence is effectivly useless in proving the effectiveness of any product, let alone a product that claims a medical benefit.

I'm looking/hoping for a scientific study, that is online somewhere that speaks to the effectiveness, if any of the headband.
"Ad hoc ergo propter hoc"
User avatar
Gwarh
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:57 pm
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #6  Postby rickoshay85 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:54 pm

Gwarh wrote:That’s excellent news Atimolos, and I'm happy for you.


Not to be a jerk, but anecdotal evidence is effectivly useless in proving the effectiveness of any product, let alone a product that claims a medical benefit.

I'm looking/hoping for a scientific study, that is online somewhere that speaks to the effectiveness, if any of the headband.


I'm always leery of scientific studies, especially when prestige and monetary gain is involved.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
rickoshay85
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #7  Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:43 pm

Rick

That is a totally idiotic thing to say.
Scientific studies, in medicine and elsewhere, are the very best guide we have to what is true and what is total crap.  You are, of course, entitled to be leery of a study done by a drug company that promotes their own product.   Proper scientists are probably even more leery.   But good science is by far the best guide we have.

There are plenty of research institutes, university researchers, and government researchers, who are independent of drug companies, and produce excellent work.

Let me predict that no-one will be able to find a relevent study from such scientists to support the cefaly crappery headband.
User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Super Skeptic
Has More Than 5K Posts
 
Posts: 5382
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:20 pm
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #8  Postby rickoshay85 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:54 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Rick

You are, of course, entitled to be leery of a study done by a drug company that promotes their own product.   Proper scientists are probably even more leery.   But good science is by far the best guide we have.



What we have are good scientists and bad scientists. Is that what you're saying?
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
rickoshay85
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #9  Postby Gord » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:04 am

rickoshay85 wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:Rick

You are, of course, entitled to be leery of a study done by a drug company that promotes their own product.   Proper scientists are probably even more leery.   But good science is by far the best guide we have.



What we have are good scientists and bad scientists. Is that what you're saying?

No, good science and bad drug companies. :P
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site

"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
User avatar
Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life
 
Posts: 18603
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:44 am
Location: Transcona

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #10  Postby rickoshay85 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:20 am

Gord wrote:
rickoshay85 wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:Rick

You are, of course, entitled to be leery of a study done by a drug company that promotes their own product.   Proper scientists are probably even more leery.   But good science is by far the best guide we have.



What we have are good scientists and bad scientists. Is that what you're saying?


No, good science and bad drug companies. :P


Bad drug companies that hire scientists that will do as they say, or else...
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
rickoshay85
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #11  Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:24 am

Rick

Scientists are merely human.
That means a certain percentage are corrupt and ready to be bought.
Does not alter the fact that most are not.
User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Super Skeptic
Has More Than 5K Posts
 
Posts: 5382
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:20 pm
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #12  Postby Empress Barb » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:25 am

Hi,
If you want to look at scientific studies, you can't use the trade name Cefaly. I had some success with the search term "occipital nerve stimulation". That study looked at the device with cluster headaches. While 7 of 10 patients got relief, the study was mostly looking at whether the device actually got rid of the problem, or just masked it. Results pointed to merely symptomatic relief. So, the people still had the headaches, they just couldn't feel them as much. This of course is better than nothing when your head is pounding. Don't get excited though because it was only 10 people in the study, and it wasn't long term.

The name of the study was Central modulation in cluster headache patients treated with occipital nerve stimulation: an FDG-PET study. You can find it on Pubmed. com.

UPDATE: Oh, sorry. I've just found out the occipital stimulator is an implanted device requiring surgery. Can't be compared to the Cefaly machine. I'm having a really hard time finding ANY english studies on this little device.
Last edited by Empress Barb on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks from:
Gord
User avatar
Empress Barb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:17 am

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #13  Postby Poodle » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:36 pm

Not a single one of the standards mentioned in the blurb has anything to do with medical efficacy - manufacture and marketing, yes, but efficacy is a big nil. So why present a manufacturing standard as though it proved a genuine medical effect?

That should be enough for anyone.
User avatar
Poodle
Rap-free zone
Persistent Poster
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:12 pm
Location: Shores of Lake Humber

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #14  Postby Gord » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:31 pm

Poodle wrote:That should be enough for anyone.

It's a warning sign, at least.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site

"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
User avatar
Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life
 
Posts: 18603
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:44 am
Location: Transcona

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #15  Postby BrianF » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Loved your post... really enjoyed reading it! I am very in favor of using supplements for returning the body to a state of balance, especially for the sake of alleviating (and even preventing) migraines.

I've started a blog (very new) and would love to know your thoughts. I even pulled together some research in a free eBook that you can download there too:
http://www.MigraineTreatmentInfo.com/blog
BrianF
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #16  Postby Austin Harper » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:01 pm

How is your body "out of balance" and how do the supplements "return it to balance"?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.
Air Capital Skeptics, hosts of the Skeptics of Oz conference
User avatar
Austin Harper
Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Persistent Poster
 
Posts: 3807
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #17  Postby Monster » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Austin Harper wrote:How is your body "out of balance" and how do the supplements "return it to balance"?

Exactly what I was going to say!

And how do you when it's "balanced"?  How is such a thing measured, I mean.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.
User avatar
Monster
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2937
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Stamford, CT, USA

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #18  Postby drfeelgood » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 am

Back to the original question...........

That paper that Empress Barb found is not too far off the mark,  The Cefaly works on the same principle; which is to apply an electrical impulse to the nerve.  In this case it is to the 5th cranial nerve or the Trigeminal nerve that the Cefaly shoots electrical impulses to.

The concept is that the chronic pain from migraines tends to be sent via certain types of nerve pathyways while the irritating sensation from the Cefaly device sends signals via a different pathway.  The irritating/buzzing sensations from the Cefaly then "over power" the sensations from the migraine pain and you don't feel the migraine pain.  Another way to look at it is that only one signal can get to the brain, and the electrical impulse signal is faster and stronger and therefore is the winner.

It is certainly a lot more than the little metal bands that people use for arthritis!

I haven't found any studies using the Cefaly so there is no proof it works or doesn't work.  Studies using similar devices that are implanted under the skin directly to, or near the nerve have been shown to work.  They use similar devices implanted under the skin for back pain.  

So there is a chance that it could work.
drfeelgood
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #19  Postby Gord » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:25 pm

drfeelgood wrote:...The Cefaly works on the same principle; which is to apply an electrical impulse to the nerve.

How does it apply the electrical impulse to the nerve?  Is it battery powered?  What's the amperage?  Doesn't the skin tend to disperse electrical impulses, preventing them from reaching the nerves?

I haven't found any studies using the Cefaly so there is no proof it works or doesn't work.

Their website boldly states, MEDICALLY TESTED.  If that's true, those tests should be available somewhere.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site

"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
User avatar
Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life
 
Posts: 18603
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:44 am
Location: Transcona

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #20  Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:24 am

Monster wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:How is your body "out of balance" and how do the supplements "return it to balance"?

Exactly what I was going to say!

And how do you when it's "balanced"?  How is such a thing measured, I mean.

You know when your body is out of balance when you start waving your arms backwards. You can also supplement the condition with an extracted "whoooaaa!" It has a 100% proven efficacy for people that haven't fallen off cliffs to their deaths.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.
User avatar
Major Malfunction
Merinobot
Has More Than 9K Posts
 
Posts: 9448
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 7:20 am

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #21  Postby drfeelgood » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:38 am

Gord wrote:
drfeelgood wrote:...The Cefaly works on the same principle; which is to apply an electrical impulse to the nerve.

How does it apply the electrical impulse to the nerve?  Is it battery powered?  What's the amperage?  Doesn't the skin tend to disperse electrical impulses, preventing them from reaching the nerves?

The Trigeminal nerve (Cranial nerve 5) is the main SENSORY nerve feeding most of the face, so the ends of the nerve do terminate in the skin. So when the Cefaly is placed over the area of the trigeminal nerve, the electrical impulses travel through the skin and into the nerve.  Yes, it is battery powered.  It uses two AAA batteries, and the way they are installed, it would look like they are in parallel, not series (although I could be wrong) so it would be max 1.5 volts, but I have no idea how many amps.

I haven't found any studies using the Cefaly so there is no proof it works or doesn't work.

Their website boldly states, MEDICALLY TESTED.  If that's true, those tests should be available somewhere.

I was sent a list of studies that apparently prove its value, but I can;t find that list at the moment.  I wasn't all that interested in it at that time, but now I am more interested in it, so I will look for those studies.  The problem is, the studies may not have been published.
drfeelgood
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #22  Postby bigtim » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:49 pm

I predit the reash of newbies with 1 or 2 posts all on the same thread mean they are the same person advocating this piece of crap....
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."
User avatar
bigtim
Skeptical Berserker
Perpetual Poster
 
Posts: 4075
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:04 pm
Location: Miðgarðr

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #23  Postby drfeelgood » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 am

bigtim wrote:I predit the reash of newbies with 1 or 2 posts all on the same thread mean they are the same person advocating this piece of crap....


If you are talking about me, I have not advocated for, or recommended against this device.  I only have a few posts because I just found this forum a few days ago.  This forum has a good name, but too many of the skeptics here do not have an open mind and assume that everything is a scam.

I have found a list of studies that this device references, but they are not available on line without paying a large sum.  I will get copies of the studies through the library and see if there is any science to back up the theory.

The reason why I don't dismiss this unit outright is that dedicated pain clinics using western medicine are all using some form electrical impulses to treat various types of chronic pain.  

Do you have experience with this device or have you seen studies that confirm it is indeed a "piece of crap?"
If you have please let me know and I won't waste my time getting the articles.
drfeelgood
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #24  Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:34 pm

drfeelgood wrote:
bigtim wrote:I predit the reash of newbies with 1 or 2 posts all on the same thread mean they are the same person advocating this piece of crap....


This forum has a good name, but too many of the skeptics here do not have an open mind and assume that everything is a scam.

Here we go again.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.
User avatar
Major Malfunction
Merinobot
Has More Than 9K Posts
 
Posts: 9448
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 7:20 am

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #25  Postby Gord » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:19 pm

drfeelgood wrote:...too many of the skeptics here do not have an open mind....

This is a common accusation.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site

"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
User avatar
Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life
 
Posts: 18603
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:44 am
Location: Transcona

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #26  Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:06 pm

drfeelgood wrote: but too many of the skeptics here do not have an open mind

How many would be just enough?
In any great organization it is far, far safer to be wrong with the majority than to be right alone. — John Kenneth Galbraith
User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Uppity Atheist
Has More Than 8K Posts
 
Posts: 8139
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:35 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #27  Postby drfeelgood » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:41 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
drfeelgood wrote: but too many of the skeptics here do not have an open mind

How many would be just enough?


Ok, I get your point.  Like I said, I am new to this forum, so I didn't know that being "over skeptic" was a common accusation.

I guess what I meant to say is to wait for me or others to get the scientific data (Papers) and share the results, then make the conclusion that it is a piece of junk or not.
drfeelgood
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #28  Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:51 am

drfeelgood wrote:Ok, I get your point.  Like I said, I am new to this forum, so I didn't know that being "over skeptic" was a common accusation.

I guess what I meant to say is to wait for me or others to get the scientific data (Papers) and share the results, then make the conclusion that it is a piece of junk or not.

You mean do as you say, not as you do?

drfeelgood wrote:I just found this forum a few days ago. This forum has a good name, but too many of the skeptics here do not have an open mind and assume that everything is a scam.

So you just found this forum a few days ago, and after only a few posts, and not engaging any of the posters in conversation, have already concluded that too many of the members have closed minds.

Sorry if we don't hold our collective breath while you get you papers ready.

The MO of your sockpuppets is so transparent as to be laughable. You know what they say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

I don't know why you're so obsessed with infiltrating the "Skeptics' Ranks". If it's for the trolling lulz, then I suggest you seek help, because you have a problem. We know when we're being trolled, anyway, so it's us that's lolling at you.

If you think you're worthy to join us, you just need to demonstrate a little personal integrity and some social graces, pretty much the same rules for any human society, and we'll be more than happy to discuss even the most out-there and crack-pot ideas. That's why we're here, afterall.

But it doesn't mean that your particular out-there, crack-pot idea deserves any more merit than the last.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.
User avatar
Major Malfunction
Merinobot
Has More Than 9K Posts
 
Posts: 9448
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 7:20 am

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #29  Postby Gord » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:48 am

:mrgreen: Some of us are more paranoid than others.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site

"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
User avatar
Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life
 
Posts: 18603
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:44 am
Location: Transcona

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #30  Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me. :unsure:
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.
User avatar
Major Malfunction
Merinobot
Has More Than 9K Posts
 
Posts: 9448
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 7:20 am

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #31  Postby rickoshay85 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Gwarh wrote:I wanted to post here and see if anyone else has heard of or come across this product. And if so have any "red flags" been raised about it in your reading/research.

The Cefaly Headband, which claims to reduce and relive symptoms of Migraine Headaches.

Website: http://www.cefaly.ca/
Similar product for sale on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cefaly-Kit-electr ... B004LSJJVI

Two of my Co-workers were discussing purchasing it as they both suffer from Migraine headaches, but my BS Radar Alarm went off when I heard them discussing it, and visited the website. If it really can do what it claims to do why isn't it proscribed by Doctors on a Mass scale.

I want to be wrong as I sympathize with the pain they go through when under a Migraine attack. But I also don't want them to be hoodwinked by another Metal/Magnetic Bracelet which this time they wear on their heads instead of their wrists.

Has anyone encountered or read up on this device? My Googling comes up with next to nothing other than anecdotal evidence and a list of studies cited on the official website, but of course no links to the actual study results.

Any info, input, advice is much appreciated.


No cure  ---  drugs, heart medicines, erection boosters,  works without the strong belief that it will work
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
rickoshay85
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #32  Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Not true, Rick.

Any remedy that is genuinely therapeutic will work without the belief factor.   An antibiotic will kill bacteria whether you believe in it or not.
User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Super Skeptic
Has More Than 5K Posts
 
Posts: 5382
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:20 pm
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #33  Postby rickoshay85 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:54 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Not true, Rick.

Any remedy that is genuinely therapeutic will work without the belief factor.   An antibiotic will kill bacteria whether you believe in it or not.


You need to have some  kind of believable assurance to take any remedy in the first place...
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
rickoshay85
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #34  Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:48 am

Seriously, Rick, what drugs are you on? Because I don't believe they're working.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.
User avatar
Major Malfunction
Merinobot
Has More Than 9K Posts
 
Posts: 9448
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 7:20 am

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #35  Postby drfeelgood » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:52 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
drfeelgood wrote:Ok, I get your point.  Like I said, I am new to this forum, so I didn't know that being "over skeptic" was a common accusation.

I guess what I meant to say is to wait for me or others to get the scientific data (Papers) and share the results, then make the conclusion that it is a piece of junk or not.

You mean do as you say, not as you do?

drfeelgood wrote:I just found this forum a few days ago. This forum has a good name, but too many of the skeptics here do not have an open mind and assume that everything is a scam.

So you just found this forum a few days ago, and after only a few posts, and not engaging any of the posters in conversation, have already concluded that too many of the members have closed minds.

The responses to my neutral information and the sarcastic responses to the poster who talked about being "out of balance" in addition to many other posts in other areas of the forum that I read led me to the conclusion about not having an open mind, but I do apologize for saying that- you are correct, I should engage in conversation with posters first and spend more time in this forum before making any judgments.  I am sorry for saying that.

Sorry if we don't hold our collective breath while you get you papers ready.

That's OK, the original poster who is actually interested in this product might wait. If no one is interested I won't pursue it any further.

The MO of your sockpuppets is so transparent as to be laughable. You know what they say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

I do not know what you mean by the "MO of our sockpuppets"

I don't know why you're so obsessed with infiltrating the "Skeptics' Ranks". If it's for the trolling lulz, then I suggest you seek help, because you have a problem. We know when we're being trolled, anyway, so it's us that's lolling at you.

Again I have no idea what you are talking about.

If you think you're worthy to join us, you just need to demonstrate a little personal integrity and some social graces, pretty much the same rules for any human society, and we'll be more than happy to discuss even the most out-there and crack-pot ideas. That's why we're here, afterall.

But it doesn't mean that your particular out-there, crack-pot idea deserves any more merit than the last.


Again, its not my crack pot idea, I was just adding information that I knew about the product.  I don't endorse it or recommend against it as there is just not enough information yet.  
However, you talk about integrity and social graces yet write a somewhat rude post with unsubstantiated accusations
drfeelgood
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #36  Postby drfeelgood » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 am

rickoshay85 wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:Not true, Rick.

Any remedy that is genuinely therapeutic will work without the belief factor.   An antibiotic will kill bacteria whether you believe in it or not.


You need to have some  kind of believable assurance to take any remedy in the first place...


The "Placebo Effect" is strong, and it can improve the effectiveness of drugs used for things like depression, but whether you believe it or not, antibiotics will kill suceptible bacteria every time!
drfeelgood
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #37  Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:13 am

drfeelgood wrote:However, you talk about integrity and social graces yet write a somewhat rude post with unsubstantiated accusations

I don't do it enough to get booted off the forum.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.
User avatar
Major Malfunction
Merinobot
Has More Than 9K Posts
 
Posts: 9448
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 7:20 am

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #38  Postby rickoshay85 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:00 pm

drfeelgood wrote:
rickoshay85 wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:Not true, Rick.

Any remedy that is genuinely therapeutic will work without the belief factor.   An antibiotic will kill bacteria whether you believe in it or not.


You need to have some  kind of believable assurance to take any remedy in the first place...


The "Placebo Effect" is strong, and it can improve the effectiveness of drugs used for things like depression, but whether you believe it or not, antibiotics will kill suceptible bacteria every time!


Fortunate for me, I am bacteria free.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
rickoshay85
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #39  Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:26 pm

rickoshay85 wrote:Fortunate for me, I am bacteria free.

Fun fact.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.
User avatar
Major Malfunction
Merinobot
Has More Than 9K Posts
 
Posts: 9448
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 7:20 am

Re: Cefaly headband/kit (for treatment of Migraine Headaches

Post #40  Postby rickoshay85 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:51 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
rickoshay85 wrote:Fortunate for me, I am bacteria free.

Fun fact.


Rhymes too. I'm a poet but don't know it.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO. John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
rickoshay85
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2182
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Next

Return to Healthcare

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

MIB
MIB
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site! MIB