Leslie Kean

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night

Leslie Kean

Post #1  Postby JO 753 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:38 am

She has a new book about UFO reports by all sorts of very credible witnesses.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=UFOs+leslie+kean&cid=10507667719574049164&ei=8IB0TPDBGJ_swAW8ibDMDg&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

Saw her on MSNBC and Colbert tonite. The accounts are actually written by the witnessez.
JO 753
rezident owtsidr
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: Leslie Kean

Post #2  Postby fromthehills » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:43 am

What do you think about it, Jo?

My assumption is that a cover up would only be successful if there were only two witnesses, and one shot the other.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."
"The onus is on you to say why, the onus is not on the rest of us to say why not."-Christopher Hitchens
fromthehills
Junkyard Dog
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post #3  Postby Gord » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:32 am

JO 753 wrote:She has a new book about UFO reports by all sorts of very credible witnesses.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=UFOs+leslie+kean&cid=10507667719574049164&ei=8IB0TPDBGJ_swAW8ibDMDg&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

Saw her on MSNBC and Colbert tonite. The accounts are actually written by the witnessez.

Leslie Kean on Colbert Report talking about her new UFO book 23-Aug-2010:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcfMOCw0Lmk

She seems like a "wants-it-to-be-true"-er.  For instance:  "Something has to be phsyical to be seen on radar."  No it does not.  Radar does, under some circumstances, pick up things that aren't physically there.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site

"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #4  Postby JO 753 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:57 am

I believe the gummit did a fantastic job uv covering up UFOz. That sumtime after the alienz reveal themselvez to the world in general, the big story will be how the cover up wuz accomplished.
JO 753
rezident owtsidr
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post #5  Postby landrew » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Gord wrote:She seems like a "wants-it-to-be-true"-er.  For instance:  "Something has to be phsyical to be seen on radar."  No it does not.  Radar does, under some circumstances, pick up things that aren't physically there.

How is that different from a "wants-it-to-be-hoax"-er?

Just askin'.
Having enemies means you have stood up for something in your life -Winston Churchill
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post #6  Postby surrounded » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:58 am

or a wants- to- sell- a- book-er?
surrounded
Poster

Post #7  Postby Gord » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:56 pm

landrew wrote:
Gord wrote:She seems like a "wants-it-to-be-true"-er.  For instance:  "Something has to be phsyical to be seen on radar."  No it does not.  Radar does, under some circumstances, pick up things that aren't physically there.

Just askin'.

It's the opposite, duh! :P
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #8  Postby landrew » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:07 am

Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:

Just askin'.

Not exactly.  When the verdict is firmly in your sights, the process is exactly the same, either way.
Having enemies means you have stood up for something in your life -Winston Churchill
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post #9  Postby Squishua » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:33 am

Every December there are 1000's of "sightings" of Santa's sleighride reported by people. Television "news" stations even issue weather reports for the route he will take on the magic sleigh.

Summarily dismissing each and all of them without further scrutiny doesn't seem unreasonable - especially compared to accepting them all as real..
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
- H. L. Mencken
Squishua
Invisible Man
Regular Poster

Post #10  Postby landrew » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:42 am

Squishua wrote:Every December there are 1000's of "sightings" of Santa's sleighride reported by people. Television "news" stations even issue weather reports for the route he will take on the magic sleigh.

Summarily dismissing each and all of them without further scrutiny doesn't seem unreasonable - especially compared to accepting them all as real..

False analogy. Scrutiny is the key to attributing the weight you need to achieve a level of certainty/uncertainty.
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post #11  Postby Squishua » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:58 am

landrew wrote:
Squishua wrote:Every December there are 1000's of "sightings" of Santa's sleighride reported by people. Television "news" stations even issue weather reports for the route he will take on the magic sleigh.

False analogy. Scrutiny is the key to attributing the weight you need to achieve a level of certainty/uncertainty.

I've scrutinized the premise of extraterrestrial spaceships visiting us quite well, and both they and Santa Claus are equally fantastic nonsense.
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
- H. L. Mencken
Squishua
Invisible Man
Regular Poster

Post #12  Postby landrew » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:17 am

Squishua wrote:
landrew wrote:

I've scrutinized the premise of extraterrestrial spaceships visiting us quite well, and both they and Santa Claus are equally fantastic nonsense.

Opinion noted.
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post #13  Postby Squishua » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:54 am

landrew wrote:Opinion noted.

:-)
Thank you!  And indeed, it is only my opinion.
- H. L. Mencken
Squishua
Invisible Man
Regular Poster

Post #14  Postby JO 753 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:39 am

Squishua wrote:I've scrutinized the premise of extraterrestrial spaceships visiting us

Hav you scrutinized any uv the reports?

However, wut didnt work for you about the premise?
JO 753
rezident owtsidr
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post #15  Postby Gord » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:40 pm

landrew wrote:
Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:

Just askin'.

Not exactly.  When the verdict is firmly in your sights, the process is exactly the same, either way.

No, I got it in one.  One wants one thing, the other wants the opposite.  You did, after all, ask "how is that DIFFERENT," not "how is that THE SAME."  Therefore, I pointed out the difference, not the similarity. :razz:

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #16  Postby landrew » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:
Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:

Just askin'.

No, I got it in one.  One wants one thing, the other wants the opposite.  You did, after all, ask "how is that DIFFERENT," not "how is that THE SAME."  Therefore, I pointed out the difference, not the similarity. :razz:

Except that the mentality is the same, whenever the conclusion comes before the evidence.

Whether its a creationist, "proving" that Darwin was wrong, or a Swiss motel owner "proving" that aliens built the pyramids, or a skeptic "proving" that anything unusual on a radar screen is swamp gas, it's still the opposite of the scientific method.
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post #17  Postby Pyrrho » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:14 pm

J. Allen Hynek was the one who came up with "swamp gas" as an explanation. I haven't heard of that being used as an explanation since, except possible as tongue-in-cheek reference to the original statement or as ridicule. It doesn't seem like a hypothesis anyone who wanted to keep their reputation as a learned scholar would present, considering the reaction to Hynek's explanation--which, as the Wikipedia article claims, was not intended to explain all of the sightings in question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Allen_Hynek
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.
Pyrrho
Administrator

Post #18  Postby Squishua » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:00 am

JO 753 wrote:
Squishua wrote:I've scrutinized the premise of extraterrestrial spaceships visiting us

Hav you scrutinized any uv the reports?

Not these particular reports, no.
JO 753 wrote:However, wut didnt work for you about the premise?

Distance, flight time, energy expenditure, plus a whole new realm of unknown theory and technology to make it possible... remnants of such would be massively more evident than mere word-of-mouth reports.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

An aside: A group of friends and I often attended the Bay Area UFO Expo each September.  It's a carnival.  There's even a booth for aluminum foil hats, which is certainly tongue-in-cheek, but make no mistake - there are some batshit crazy people there.  Gary Busey even got kicked out of one a few years ago.
- H. L. Mencken
Squishua
Invisible Man
Regular Poster

Post #19  Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:43 am

"We don't know what it is, therefore we know what it is." . . . It seems to me there are a few steps missing.
"Learning will never hurt you. Only the man who knows too little knows too much." - Rex Stout
OlegTheBatty
Uppity Atheist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post #20  Postby Gord » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:49 pm

landrew wrote:
Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:
Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:How is that different from a "wants-it-to-be-hoax"-er?

Just askin'.

Except that the mentality is the same, whenever the conclusion comes before the evidence.

Whether its a creationist, "proving" that Darwin was wrong, or a Swiss motel owner "proving" that aliens built the pyramids, or a skeptic "proving" that anything unusual on a radar screen is swamp gas, it's still the opposite of the scientific method.

Mentality schmentality, you need to ask the proper questions to get the answers you're looking for.

...and by "you," I mean landrew.  It wasn't meant to be a general statement.  :nyaah:

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #21  Postby landrew » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:51 pm

Gord wrote:Mentality schmentality, you need to ask the proper questions to get the answers you're looking for.

...and by "you," I mean landrew.  It wasn't meant to be a general statement.  :nyaah:

You mean like a shark lawyer, asking the defendant how often he beats his wife?

Oh wait, you mean, like a creationist asking how could "random chance ever create life?"  Or maybe you meant "how could intelligent life ever have visited earth when interstellar travel is impossible."

Those are all good questions skewed towards getting the "right" answers.
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post #22  Postby Gord » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:28 pm

landrew wrote:
Gord wrote:Mentality schmentality, you need to ask the proper questions to get the answers you're looking for.

Oh wait, you mean, like a creationist asking how could "random chance ever create life?"  Or maybe you meant "how could intelligent life ever have visited earth when interstellar travel is impossible."

No, I mean like asking "How is that different from a "wants-it-to-be-hoax"-er?" when you want to actually know how it's actually different.  Actually.

Because I answered the question you asked, rather than the one you meant to ask. :P

P.S.  Sharks have lawyers now? :?

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #23  Postby landrew » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:

No, I mean like asking "How is that different from a "wants-it-to-be-hoax"-er?" when you want to actually know how it's actually different.  Actually.

Because I answered the question you asked, rather than the one you meant to ask. :P

P.S.  Sharks have lawyers now? :?

Actually Gord, I know that you got my point long ago, that frontloaded conclusions are all similar in the category of anti-scientific reasoning, albeit different in other respects, (as any Mensa member would clearly know) but you do like to have fun, so don't let me spoil it for you by duking it out with you for too long.
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post #24  Postby Gord » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:44 pm

landrew wrote:Actually Gord, I know that you got my point long ago, that frontloaded conclusions are all similar in the category of anti-scientific reasoning, albeit different in other respects, (as any Mensa member would clearly know) but you do like to have fun, so don't let me spoil it for you by duking it out with you for too long.

Yeah, but you still know you're wrong, though, right? :mrgreen:

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #25  Postby landrew » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:46 pm

Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:Actually Gord, I know that you got my point long ago, that frontloaded conclusions are all similar in the category of anti-scientific reasoning, albeit different in other respects, (as any Mensa member would clearly know) but you do like to have fun, so don't let me spoil it for you by duking it out with you for too long.

Whatever floats your rubber duckie.
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post #26  Postby Squishua » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Gord wrote:Yeah, but you still know you're wrong, though, right?

Everyone reading it knows that.  His persistence is quite amusing.
- H. L. Mencken
Squishua
Invisible Man
Regular Poster

Post #27  Postby JJM » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:24 pm

Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:Actually Gord, I know that you got my point long ago, that frontloaded conclusions  writing about myself is important ...
JJM wrote:fixed it for you.

You are tilting at a windmill, Gord.  It is all about Landrew.
JJM
Veteran Poster

Post #28  Postby JO 753 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:49 pm

Squishua wrote:

Distance, flight time, energy expenditure, plus a whole new realm of unknown theory and technology to make it possible... remnants of such would be massively more evident than mere word-of-mouth reports.

So your skepticizm iz based on the notion that our science iz advanced enuf to declare wut iz & iz not possible.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

To deni a report frum a credible source iz to make an extraordinary claim. And in general the least incredible explanation for theze sitingz iz extraterrestrial vizitorz.
JO 753
rezident owtsidr
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post #29  Postby Squishua » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:18 pm

JO 753 wrote:
Squishua wrote:

So your skepticizm iz based on the notion that our science iz advanced enuf to declare wut iz & iz not possible.

That's not what I said. Maybe you should re-read what you quoted.
- H. L. Mencken
Squishua
Invisible Man
Regular Poster

Post #30  Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:47 pm

JO 753 wrote:To deni a report frum a credible source iz to make an extraordinary claim. And in general the least incredible explanation for theze sitingz iz extraterrestrial vizitorz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA06Z5e1ZFc
"Learning will never hurt you. Only the man who knows too little knows too much." - Rex Stout
OlegTheBatty
Uppity Atheist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post #31  Postby landrew » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:44 am

Squishua wrote:

The facts can also be quite persistent. Please tell me how simple declarations made without supporting arguments are valid.
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post #32  Postby JO 753 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:53 am

Squishua wrote:That's not what I said.

That's rite. Its the implication uv wut you sed.
JO 753
rezident owtsidr
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post #33  Postby Squishua » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:03 am

landrew wrote:
Squishua wrote:

The facts can also be quite persistent. Please tell me how simple declarations made without supporting arguments are valid.

Why don't you read through this thread again from the beginning.  There's the supporting argument.

Don't you feel silly now?
- H. L. Mencken
Squishua
Invisible Man
Regular Poster

Post #34  Postby landrew » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:24 am

Squishua wrote:
landrew wrote:
Squishua wrote:

Why don't you read through this thread again from the beginning.  There's the supporting argument.

Don't you feel silly now?

Not at all. You've contributed nothing to the discussion but empty declarations.
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post #35  Postby Squishua » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:39 am

Very well, if I must:
[paraphrasing for simplicity]
landrew: "what's the difference between a "wants-it-to-be-true"-er and a "wants-it-to-be-hoax"-er?
Gord: "they're the opposite! :P"
landrew: [moves the goal post and digresses into pontification]

I don't know why this should be repeated, as it's all in the posts above.  Interesting that you act oblivious to it... Have a good night.
- H. L. Mencken
Squishua
Invisible Man
Regular Poster

Post #36  Postby landrew » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:03 pm

Squishua wrote:Very well, if I must:
[paraphrasing for simplicity]
landrew: "what's the difference between a "wants-it-to-be-true"-er and a "wants-it-to-be-hoax"-er?
Gord: "they're the opposite! :P"
landrew: [moves the goal post and digresses into pontification]

I don't know why this should be repeated, as it's all in the posts above.  Interesting that you act oblivious to it... Have a good night.

You've obviously chosen to ignore the point I was making; in that the two attitudes are quite similar in that they start with the conclusion first, then work backwards, which is contrary to the scientific method.

The simple declaration that they are "opposites" is not a refutation, but a subjective opinion. For example, what is the opposite of a carrot?  Your debating style appears to consist of saying the other person is wrong and not much else.
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post #37  Postby Gord » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:22 pm

landrew wrote:The simple declaration that they are "opposites" is not a refutation, but a subjective opinion.

Not subjective, but objective...in that I object to the subject. :mrgreen:

For example, what is the opposite of a carrot?

A notcarrot.

What's the opposite of an orange? :lol:

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #38  Postby landrew » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:38 pm

Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:The simple declaration that they are "opposites" is not a refutation, but a subjective opinion.

Not subjective, but objective...in that I object to the subject. :mrgreen:

For example, what is the opposite of a carrot?

A notcarrot.

What's the opposite of an orange? :lol:

Very entertaining, but no relevance to the argument.  It's also a bit ironic that you're the one who claims I can't admit when I'm wrong.
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post #39  Postby Squishua » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:11 pm

landrew wrote:The simple declaration that they are "opposites" is not a refutation

That's right it is not a refutation! :-D. It is a simple statement of fact; TRUE is the opposite of FALSE (aka "hoax").  Besides, I've only been on this forum for a month and I've figured out Gord likes to have fun with people.  Yet you still feel compelled to defend against this statement.
Last edited by Squishua on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- H. L. Mencken
Squishua
Invisible Man
Regular Poster

Post #40  Postby landrew » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:12 pm

Squishua wrote:[quote="landrewl]The simple declaration that they are "opposites" is not a refutation[/quote]
That's right it is not a refutation! :-D. It is a simple statement of fact; TRUE is the opposite of FALSE (aka "hoax").  Besides, I've only been on this forum for a month and I've figured out Gord likes to have fun with people.  Yet you still feel compelled to defend against this statement.[/quote][/quote]

Yes, true is the opposite of false, and it's also the opposite of any of your other declarations I suppose.
:roll:
landrew
Has More Than 6K Posts

Next

Return to UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal