Let's Talk Ancient Aliens Theory

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night

Let's Talk Ancient Aliens Theory

Post #1  Postby Parrot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:25 am

I've just finished my third post on my blog analyzing claims made in the History Channel documentary about ancient aliens.  I feel like I've covered a hell of a lot of ground, but I'm not even halfway through that single episode yet.

You can watch the entire episode here.

You can read my analysis here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5

I've also been researching aspects of ancient alien theory from other sources and I'm finding it really fascinating.  There's no real cohesion or structure to it, theories about these ancient aliens are just all over the place.  I guess that's what makes it prime territory for anybody to come in and put out their own theory.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around as much of it as possible, so I thought it would be good to open up a discussion topic where we can talk about our favourite aspects of ancient alien theory and the claims that are being made.

Anybody have anything good?  I've got a number of things to add but I'd like to see what other things you guys have up your sleeve.
Last edited by Parrot on Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Re: Let's Talk Ancient Aliens Theory

Post #2  Postby Gord » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:33 am

But I'll concede that the bird's shape does look a little strange.  The argument here is that the wings are thicker near the middle, and taper off near the ends...

Like a bird!

They're also slightly swept downward at the ends.  This makes their design very aerodynamic.

Like a bird!

The documentary also points out that the tail seems a bit strange, since birds tails are not vertical.  What purpose could this serve?

Maybe it was a sharkbird.

Or maybe it was just shaped that way so a child could grip it there and pretend to be flying the bird.  "Vrrrrooom vroom vroom, eeeeaaoowwwwww, chirp chirp chirp!" :mrgreen:

They found that it was very aerodynamic, the only thing missing was a rear stabilizing rudder.

Like a bird?

And you can clearly see that there's a notch on the bird's tail where such a rudder could have possibly been attached.

Actually, I can't see that.  Where is it?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site

"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #3  Postby Parrot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:50 am

Gord wrote:
And you can clearly see that there's a notch on the bird's tail where such a rudder could have possibly been attached.

Actually, I can't see that.  Where is it?

Right here:

woodenbird-notcharrow.jpg

You've got to admit, the tail is a little strange.  Bird tails are horizontal, wheras this tail is vertical.  I don't think that it can be explained by allowing for a grip point.

I'm just admitting that they have a point about the bird's shape.  I'm quite clear, though, that I don't believe this is any reason to expect that the ancient Egyptians were flying around in large wooden gliders.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #4  Postby Gord » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:11 am

Ah crap, my reply didn't post, I have to try typing it all out again.... :frown:

I understood your point, I was just arguing against theirs by quoting your records of what they said.

As for the notch, I still don't see it as a manufactured element.  It seems more like later damage to me.  Is there a notch on the other side of the tail as well, or are they saying that the bird would need only one stabilizer to be able to fly?  (In my experience with toy gliders, losing one side of the stabilizer makes the plane unable to fly.)

Since we don't know why the tail is shaped the way it is, I think my suggestion is as well reasoned as their is.  If their claim is that this is a model of an actual flying/gliding device, and if the stabilizer is required for it to work, and if the model never had a stabilizer, then their claim is no better than mine, because the tail of the model is at least as different from that of a plane as it is from that of a bird.

...now, let's see if this thing posts this time so I can go back to bed....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #5  Postby Parrot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:33 am

I don't know... it looks like a manufactured notch to me.  But then, what do I know?

I think we can both agree that anything we say about this object is almost pure speculation.  It may be a toy glider, or there may be some other explanation for it's features.  In either case, it's a huge leap to think that the Egyptians were flying around in large wooden versions of this thing.
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #6  Postby Pyrrho » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:35 pm

The Egyptian artifact is known as the Saqqara Bird.

Scientific test ahead...please securely fasten yer aluminum foil deflector beanies:

http://www.catchpenny.org/birdtest.html

BTW, some birds, such as grackles, twist their tail feathers into the vertical position:

http://www.pestproducts.com/grackles.htm

The bronzed grackle walks with a tall strut that imitates the crow. When turning in flight, its tail changes from horizontal to vertical, hence it is known as keel-tailed.

Finding scholarly information about the other artifacts is difficult given the widespread dissemination of the "ancient aircraft" notions. I haven't time to look right now. Suffice to say that the items are works of art. People who believe they are models of aircraft because the items have features that "look like" features of modern aircraft are committing the fallacy of composition. Just because these items have features that resemble those of modern aircraft does not make them models of aircraft.

I note that the people who made functional model aircraft based on the "fighter jet" artifacts cheated by giving their wings aerodynamic shapes and larger wings.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.
Pyrrho
Administrator

Post #7  Postby Parrot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:09 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I note that the people who made functional model aircraft based on the "fighter jet" artifacts cheated by giving their wings aerodynamic shapes and larger wings.

Not to mention they removed all those un-aerodynamic frills and bumps.

I pointed this out in my first article analyzing the videos.  It's a particularly relevant observation given that Giorgio Tsoukalos comments:

Giorgio Tsoukalos wrote:They did not add an inch or remove an inch, they just essentially blew the thing into a larger size.

That guy's a riot!
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #8  Postby busterggi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:51 pm

Ancient astronauts who taught humans how to pile up rocks - because no human being could have thought of that by hisself.

And those Bagdad batteries!  Why you could almost light an led bulb with only a dozen or so - talk about a power source.
busterggi
General Weirdness
Regular Poster

Post #9  Postby Parrot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:10 pm

busterggi wrote:Ancient astronauts who taught humans how to pile up rocks - because no human being could have thought of that by hisself.

I love that part of the ancient astronaut theory.  They say that humans couldn't possibly have managed these big rocks... therefore aliens must've done it!

But then that raises the obvious question: why the hell would advanced aliens come down and start messing around with a primitive and awkward building material like stone?
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #10  Postby Gord » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:12 pm

Pyrrho wrote:BTW, some birds, such as grackles, twist their tail feathers into the vertical position:

Kewl.  I googled bird tails to find a bird like that, but I was lazy and gave up after checking one link. :mrgreen:

Parrot wrote:...why the hell would advanced aliens come down and start messing around with a primitive and awkward building material like stone?

Because ancient aliens had the mentality of five-year-old humans and liked to play with building blocks!

It's all clear to me now!  The huge eyes!  The little bodies!  The mischievous behaviour bordering on mind-boggling lunacy!  The focus on pranks involving the bum!  Aliens are children!! :woohoo:

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #11  Postby Pyrrho » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:23 am

Regarding ancient jet fighters...I'd have to ask, "Where are the remains of the manufacturing facilities?" It takes more than a village to build and maintain jet fighters.

Unless, of course, the convenient hypothesis is that the space aliens launched them from airborne motherships and took them with them when they left.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.
Pyrrho
Administrator

Post #12  Postby Chachacha » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:51 am

Gord wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:BTW, some birds, such as grackles, twist their tail feathers into the vertical position:

Kewl.  I googled bird tails to find a bird like that, but I was lazy and gave up after checking one link. :mrgreen:

Parrot wrote:...why the hell would advanced aliens come down and start messing around with a primitive and awkward building material like stone?

Because ancient aliens had the mentality of five-year-old humans and liked to play with building blocks!

It's all clear to me now!  The huge eyes!  The little bodies!  The mischievous behaviour bordering on mind-boggling lunacy!  The focus on pranks involving the bum!  Aliens are children!! :woohoo:

And God acts like a two year old child who throws tantrums and breaks his stuff when angered.  By george, Gord, I think you've got it!
Chachacha
Irrational Skeptic
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post #13  Postby ShadowSot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:33 am

And those Bagdad batteries!  Why you could almost light an led bulb with only a dozen or so - talk about a power source.

Psh, those aren't even batteries, they're sacred jars used to store sacred texts, some archaeologist way back decided they may have worked as batteries if you  messed with 'em a it, and so people have manipulated them until they would.

Anyone remember when the History Channel had good programs on it?
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools".

– Thucydides

HUMOR
ShadowSot
Monkey
Poster

Post #14  Postby Gord » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:23 am

ShadowSot wrote:Anyone remember when the History Channel had good programs on it?

Yeah. :frown: Those were the days, eh?

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #15  Postby Parrot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:34 am

The pre-columbian "jet" is a really interesting study in people seeing what they want to see.  Especially in the history channel documentary, the "golden flyer" is shown at an angle and in lighting that doesn't give a very good view of it's front.  But I've got a Time Inc. book from a few years back called "Exploring The Unexplained" which has a really good view of the object:

goldenflyerscansmall.jpg

You can clearly see that the thing has a face.  It really just looks like some sort of aquatic creature.  I can see that there was some artistic liberty taking place here... and it could very well be that this is a depiction of a mythical sea creature.  But it's almost certainly a depiction of some sort of creature, and not an airplane.

I've been researching some of the claims being made further, and I ran across this website:

http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_7.htm

It seems to me like the reason they used the "Golden Flyer" was because none of the other candidates were anywhere near aerodynamic.  This page takes a look at one of those other models, which was also displayed briefly in the History Channel episode.

I love the extent to which this guy is reaching for a ufological explanation.  I like this quote:

When we compare these with other objects from the same cultures depicting animals, a curious facet of the comparison would be obvious: the other objects are recognizable, rendered usually with a great accuracy and attention to realistic detail.

A great deal of accuracy and attention to detail!  Riiiight....

If you read my first article analyzing the History Channel show you saw a picture of another object from this collection which was some sort of fish with fins like a shark (6 of them), and a dolphin-like flipper for a tail.

In any case, this guy goes on to admit that the object's center of gravity makes it an unlikely candidate for flight.  But he's got a solution.  The nose of the plane could actually be a jet for slowing the plane down... and this jet could fold away, bringing the airplane's center of gravity back into line.

Never mind that bringing the jet to bear would automatically unbalance the airplane, making this a really awkward mechanism....  but he doesn't mention that problem.  He does mention one interesting problem though:

Another problem, though, will appear and that is the drag which would be created by the back of the nose now positioned in front. But that can be attributed to artistic license.

Artistic license??  What the hell happened to "a great deal of accuracy and attention to detail"?

If you admit that they could have used artistic license enough that they didn't show the mechanism for this "nose jet" properly, then how can you deny that they might have used artistic license to create a stylistic sea creature which isn't actually found in the sea?

It's just a whole hell of a lot of silliness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #16  Postby ShadowSot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Gord wrote:Yeah. :frown: Those were the days, eh?

Now I feel old.  :blink:
Some interesting pieces of artwork Here  I note the high amount of artistic license given to the eagles.

If you read my first article analyzing the History Channel show you saw a picture of another object from this collection which was some sort of fish with fins like a shark (6 of them), and a dolphin-like flipper for a tail.

Probably worth noting to, if you didn't, the distances of time between the Mayan and Egyptian civilizations.
The Mayans were still going when the Spaniards arrived, the Mayans were certainly not a "Ancient" culture, except maybe simply due to the culture.
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools".

– Thucydides

HUMOR
ShadowSot
Monkey
Poster

Post #17  Postby Parrot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:48 pm

ShadowSot wrote: Some interesting pieces of artwork Here  I note the high amount of artistic license given to the eagles.

That's awesome ShadowSot!  You can clearly understand from this collection that these people weren't just making replicas of all the animals that they saw.  The artistic license is ubiquitous.

ShadowSot wrote: Probably worth noting to, if you didn't, the distances of time between the Mayan and Egyptian civilizations.
The Mayans were still going when the Spaniards arrived, the Mayans were certainly not a "Ancient" culture, except maybe simply due to the culture.

I need to correct you here.  They weren't talking about the Mayans in this episode.  The specific people that they mention are the Tolima, who date to 1500 years ago.

Still not contemporary with ancient Egypt though.
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #18  Postby Parrot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:54 pm

I get a lot of hits to my second article on the subject by people looking for information on mercury gyroscopes.  Regarding that subject, I managed to find this interesting claim:

http://www.handpen.com/Bio/gravity.htm

The author talks about a technology he calls a "Magnetic Field Disruptor" which is supposed to neutralize gravity.  It's powered by a pressurized mercury plasma which reduces an object's weight by 89%, allowing for greater speed and maneuverability with less fuel.

It's pretty cool sounding pseudoscience.

In any case, I like his story about how he had a friend who did some research on this in the 60's but the government covered it up and went out to all the libraries and sneakily edited all the magazines to remove any mention of it.

It's too bad that he has absolutely no way to verify this story... damn government tied up all the loose ends!  I wonder how they managed to silence all the scientists who had read the paper and/or had copies of it themselves.

By the way, do you think that pseudoscientists are just naturally horrible at web design, or is it perhaps something that they cultivate?
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #19  Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:12 pm

While they were building those jets and stacking all those rocks, you'd think the aliens might have dropped a hint or two about the evil spirits who cause diseases, and the benefits of cleanliness in controlling the spread. Simple stuff. ...and the futility of blood letting ... and ... and ...  :cry:
"Learning will never hurt you. Only the man who knows too little knows too much." - Rex Stout
OlegTheBatty
Uppity Atheist
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post #20  Postby Parrot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:16 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:While they were building those jets and stacking all those rocks, you'd think the aliens might have dropped a hint or two about the evil spirits who cause diseases, and the benefits of cleanliness in controlling the spread. Simple stuff. ...and the futility of blood letting ... and ... and ...  :cry:

.... and instructions on anal probing for fun and profit?
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #21  Postby ShadowSot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Parrot wrote:
I need to correct you here.  They weren't talking about the Mayans in this episode.  The specific people that they mention are the Tolima, who date to 1500 years ago.

Still not contemporary with ancient Egypt though.

Ah, the "golden flyer" is a Tolima artifact, I thought it was Mayan, sorry.
I've been reading a lot about the Old World, sort of neglecting the New World.

– Thucydides

HUMOR
ShadowSot
Monkey
Poster

Post #22  Postby Gord » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:09 am

Parrot wrote:The author talks about a technology he calls a "Magnetic Field Disruptor" which is supposed to neutralize gravity.

But ... but ... but gravity isn't magnetic. :|

Can you imagine if it were, though?  People from Australia who tried to move to Canada might find themselves flying off into space, repulsed by our oppositely-poled magnetic field up here! :lol:

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #23  Postby Parrot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:16 am

Gord wrote:
Parrot wrote:The author talks about a technology he calls a "Magnetic Field Disruptor" which is supposed to neutralize gravity.

But ... but ... but gravity isn't magnetic. :|

I know.  It's so cute the way pseudoscientists think they understand something without doing the slightest bit of research into physics.

But then, I suppose it's possible that the aliens have discovered the Grand Unifying Theory which would say that all the forces in the universe are actually the same force.  If that's the case, perhaps they know how to manipulate electromagnetism in order to generate gravity effects.

Just spinning around some Mercury and adding electricity is unlikely to have that effect though.
Last edited by Parrot on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #24  Postby Parrot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:22 am

By the way, who here doesn't absolutely love the Shakuna Vimana?

ShakunaVimana.jpg

I really want it to be true that the aliens came down flying in these things.  I want to see a re-make of Independence Day where the alien mothership is a giant Shakuna Vimana.  It's just awesome that there are actually people claiming that these were flying around in ancient times.
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #25  Postby Gord » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:11 am

Parrot wrote:But then, I suppose it's possible that the aliens have discovered the Grand Unifying Theory which would say that all the forces in the universe are actually the same force.  If that's the case, perhaps they know how to manipulate electromagnetism in order to generate gravity effects.

Just spinning around some Mercury and adding electricity is unlikely to have that effect though.

Perhaps they just spin it 90 degrees in the fourth dimension.

Reminds me of a math joke:  "We're sorry, you have dialed an imaginary number.  Please hang up and rotate your telephone 90 degrees, then try your call again.  Thank you!"

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #26  Postby Parrot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Here's something I'm sure you'll all enjoy - 11 signs that you're descended from Aliens:

http://weeklyworldnews.com/alien-alert/ ... om-aliens/

I got 5 - those last three are soo me!!  :mrgreen:

My wife has 7.... I'm watching for her to start signaling the mothership.
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #27  Postby Parrot » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:21 am

One thing I love about Ancient Alien theorists is that they are absolutely all over the place.  They often disagree on fundamental points, and some of them even recognize that this is a problem:

http://www.bibleufo.com/conundrum.htm
The spectrum of theories run from the government's denial that UFOs even exist to the notion that they are blood-drinking lizards lurking in space with a plan to herd humans like cattle.  They may be aliens from another planet monitoring our potential threat to the galactic community or ambassadors demanding their own embassy before they will share their technology.  UFOs might be holographic images from a satanic conspiracy or have an entire culture flourishing deep inside the planet.  Or could they be government clones or even the ancient gods?

Whatever the answer, the plethora of theories is, no doubt and in no small part, responsible for the skeptical view of the general public.  Add to this the commercial exploitation of the phenomenon and the conditioned stigma of mental imbalance in the believers and you have a credibility gap you could fly a Death Star through.

That's right... he actually said "credibility gap you could fly a Death Star through."!!  :lol:

This guy's awesome!  :mrgreen:

For those not willing to run the gauntlet and spend untold hours in serious research,  there is only perplexity.  For those who do invest the time and mental energy required,  there is often a never-ending series of paradigm shifts from one theory to the next,  often leading to the same perplexity in perpetuity.

There are no guidelines for serious UFO research

I can't believe he actually just admitted this!  It's basically an admission that UFOlogy isn't a science!  If you're working in a scientific field, there are guidelines and commonly accepted practices that are subject to testing and scrutiny.  If you don't have guidelines, anything goes and there can be no serious attempt to find out the truth about anything!

but,  fortunately,  the human mind is very adaptable and can reason its way through almost any enigma.  We will approach this particular enigma, and perhaps the one most relevant to the past, present, and future of mankind, with only two suppositions.  First, considering the preponderance of evidence available and with the knowledge that this is only a small percentage of the whole, the existence of UFOs in our skies will be considered as a fact.  Secondly, logic dictates that,  in all probability,  only one could be correct or they are all wrong.

I'll accept the second supposition.... as for the first, though, it's strange that he can make a statement like that when he just admitted that there are no guidelines, which means there are no standards for evidence with which to judge the "preponderance of evidence available".... making the conclusion meaningless.

I'm seriously wondering if this website is parody.... but I'm accepting it as serious until I find out otherwise.  I'm not one to question the human tendency to be a dumbass.

By the way, another example of terrible web design from a pseudoscientist.... I think it just might be intentional.
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #28  Postby Gord » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:48 am

Of course, the existence of UFOs in our skies is already considered a fact.  Unidentified Flying Objects.  Things fly.  They're objects.  I can't identify them.

I am available for expert witness testimony, for a small fee. 8-)

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #29  Postby Parrot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:18 am

Gord wrote:I am available for expert witness testimony, for a small fee. 8-)

How much for an eyewitness account of an alien abduction that involves somebody being impregnated with a human/Sasquatch hybrid baby?
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #30  Postby Bunyip » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:48 am

The first 'God is an alien' story I saw was in 1970 in an old ' Astounding Science Fiction' . 'A Russian scientist' decoded The Book of Ezekiel ,explaining that Ezekiel was actually transported in a space ship. Some years later, a NASA scientist wrote on entire book on the same theme.

Then came Erich von Daniken,and the flood gates  broke. A new genre of quackpottery was born. This has been recently replaced by the Jesus' descendants-are- alive- and living-in -France and others who insist on referring  to  to the Knights Templar and the Freemasons.

I found good old Erich unintentionally hilarious with his combination of pareidolia, non sequitors and wild suppositions masquerading as evidence.One of his howlers: The Meso Americans  did not have the wheel,hence had  no need of roads.Yet there they are. Obviously built by aliens.

Read just a few of these books and you will notice the writers quoting each other

About 20 years ago I saw a stunning exhibition of pre Columbian gold,which included several tiny ( a couple of inches long) stylised birds.   Occam's razor; they are  birds.

A friend and I  took the trouble of checking almost every reference in 'Chariots Of The Gods' ,including writing to India for a copy of the book to make;'flying vimanas'.The instructions began "take 2 parts  of metal of the monkey,3 parts of metal of the elephant" .Then it became a bit obscure. Needless to say,not one of Erich's references hold up to examination. It was later shown he deliberately faked some.

Not sure if this observation leads to a valid conclusion about the crackpot fringe. I've read dozens of such books over a 40 year a period.They range from 'Chariot of The Gods' to 'Holy Blood Holy Grail' to '1492 The year China Discovered The World'. Some observations.:  As an ilk,the writers tend to be  autodidacts,with little if any understanding of scientific or scholarly method,or educated people writing outside of their field. For conspiracy theorists, add a large dollop of paranoia. Of course there are exceptions EG the brilliant Immanuel Velikovsky ,a truly erudite crackpot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spaceships_of_Ezekiel
Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.
Bunyip
Regular Poster

Post #31  Postby Parrot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:24 am

Bunyip wrote:The first 'God is an alien' story I saw was in 1970 in an old ' Astounding Science Fiction' . 'A Russian scientist' decoded The Book of Ezekiel ,explaining that Ezekiel was actually transported in a space ship. Some years later, a NASA scientist wrote on entire book on the same theme.

I wrote about that in my latest article.  I love the  Ezekiel-As-Alien-Visitation theory, especially if you take even the barest minimum of time to skim through Ezekiel.  Under the alien interpretation, this alien came down and just starts whining about the Israelites and making Ezekiel perform all sorts of strange rituals.  It's hilarious to believe that an alien is responsible for this bizarre behaviour.

Bunyip wrote:A friend and I  took the trouble of checking almost every reference in 'Chariots Of The Gods' ,including writing to India for a copy of the book to make;'flying vimanas'.The instructions began "take 2 parts  of metal of the monkey,3 parts of metal of the elephant" .Then it became a bit obscure.

You have a copy of the Vaimanika Shaastra?  That's awesome! I love the Vimanas!  I wrote about those in my second article.

You wouldn't be willing to scan a copy of the book and send it to me, would you?  Or is there already a version available online?    

Bunyip wrote:Needless to say,not one of Erich's references hold up to examination. It was later shown he deliberately faked some.

I haven't read Von Daniken's book, but I've read a lot about the things that he claimed.  I'm interested in knowing what he faked.
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #32  Postby Bunyip » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:43 am

Sadly,it's 'had' not' have'. I did have copies of a lot of Indian sacred texts ,but that was 40 years ago.

From memory,the accounts of the 'flying cars' comes from  MahaBharata ,although I'm not sure. I no longer have a full copy,only a very ordinary translation of the  Baghavad Gita  which  I seem to have mislaid.

You wouldn't be willing to scan a copy of the book and send it to me, would you?

Sorry,no,that is a service i offer only to close friends

Or is there already a version available online?

A Google of Viamanikia shastra returned 15,000 hits,so I guess it's probably available on line -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Von Daniken's chicanery began in "Chariots Of The Gods' and got worse with each book. At first it was the fallacious claim of an unrusting iron pillar in India. (Delhi I think).

For a later book,he actually  manufactured  artifacts.

The Wiki article cited below is worth reading in full.

Däniken claimed that a non-rusting iron pillar in India was evidence of extraterrestrial influence.[5]  Later, Däniken admitted in a Playboy  interview that the pillar was actually rusty and man-made, and that as far as supporting his hypotheses goes "we can forget about this iron thing."  

The evidence that Däniken has put forward to support his paleo-contact hypotheses can be categorized as follows:

* Artifacts have been found which are alleged to represent a higher technological knowledge than existed at the times when they were manufactured. Däniken maintains that these artifacts have been manufactured either by extraterrestrial visitors, or by humans who obtained the necessary knowledge from them. Such artifacts include the Antikythera mechanism, Stonehenge, the statues of Easter Island, and the Piri Reis map.
   * In ancient art throughout the world, themes are observed which can be interpreted to illustrate astronauts, air and space vehicles, non-human but intelligent creatures, and artifacts of a high technology. Däniken also points out details that are similar in the art of unrelated cultures.
   * Origins of religions might be a reaction to contact with an alien race by primitive humans. The humans considered the technology of the aliens to be supernatural and the aliens themselves to be gods. According to Däniken, the oral and literal traditions of most religions contain references to visitors from "stars" and vehicles traveling through air and space. These, he says, should be interpreted as literal descriptions which have changed during the passage of time and have become more obscure, rather than as symbolic or mythical fiction. One such is Ezekiel's revelation in the Old Testament, which he interprets as a detailed description of a landing spacecraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_von_D%C3%A4niken

Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.
Bunyip
Regular Poster

Post #33  Postby Gord » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:18 am

Parrot wrote:
Gord wrote:I am available for expert witness testimony, for a small fee. 8-)

How much for an eyewitness account of an alien abduction that involves somebody being impregnated with a human/Sasquatch hybrid baby?

Twenty bucks.  But no kissing.

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #34  Postby Parrot » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:25 am

I just finished my fourth installment analyzing the Ancient Aliens episode, for those of you who are interested:

http://www.dumbassguide.info/blog.php?bid=67
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #35  Postby Gord » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:22 am

Parrot wrote:I just finished my fourth installment analyzing the Ancient Aliens episode, for those of you who are interested:

http://www.dumbassguide.info/blog.php?bid=67

The ignorance shown here is nothing short of absolutely astounding.  Really, these guys deserve some sort of award for that.

Hmmm, awards for ignorance, eh?  Interesting idea!  But can you imagine HOW MANY NOMINATIONS there would be every year?! :mrgreen:

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #36  Postby Aztexan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:45 am

I don't know.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.
Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post #37  Postby Parrot » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:03 am

Gord wrote:Hmmm, awards for ignorance, eh?  Interesting idea!  But can you imagine HOW MANY NOMINATIONS there would be every year?! :mrgreen:

You're right, that would be pretty darn stiff competition!

You'd probably have to break it up into different categories.
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Post #38  Postby ResidentHazard » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Gord wrote:
ShadowSot wrote:Anyone remember when the History Channel had good programs on it?

I honestly don't mind these shows (actually, I greatly enjoy UFO stuff cuz it's all sorts of fun), and to be fair, at least the Ancient Aliens shows generally follow traditional History Channel formula.

It's the ever-growing spate of reality shows that I'm tired of seeing.  They ought to branch off to a new network called "History Reality" for that stuff, and keep to the classic format for the regular History Channel.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
~Thomas Jefferson
ResidentHazard
Turbo Gamer

Post #39  Postby Gord » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:02 am

ResidentHazard wrote:
Gord wrote:

I honestly don't mind these shows (actually, I greatly enjoy UFO stuff cuz it's all sorts of fun), and to be fair, at least the Ancient Aliens shows generally follow traditional History Channel formula.

It's the ever-growing spate of reality shows that I'm tired of seeing.  They ought to branch off to a new network called "History Reality" for that stuff, and keep to the classic format for the regular History Channel.

Reality shows suck round donkey objects.  And I too like(d) some of the UFO shows.  But they're airing things now that go so over the top, I squirm in discomfort.  People state such incredibly false things as if they're fact, and too many viewer out there don't know enough to understand it's all road apples!  In The Olden Days, they would put on UFO shows where people actually investigated sightings and came up with possible solutions!  I remember one show that I only ever saw once, that used some newer computer imaging techniques to enhance an old video recording of a UFO apparently flying behind a mountain along the horizon.  They compared and combined a number of different frames, and the blob-shaped UFO actually took on the shape of a small single-engine plane!  Then they played an enhanced negative of the video, and you could see the UFO passing in front of the mountain (in other words, between the mountain and the camera that was filming it), rather than disappearing behind it.  One of the earlier UFO "researchers" on the show had actually used the "fact" that the UFO passed behind the mountain in order to calculate its size, which made it larger than two football fields in length!

That, I thought, was an amazingly good show.  I wanted to see it again, and even tape it for my own personal repeated viewing.  But I've never seen it again!  It's a shame, because I wanted to investigate further, to see if they'd actually manage to solve that one sighting, or if they'd misused the imaging technique to falsify a mundane solution. :( (Hey, I am a skeptic, after all.  I'm hardly going to take one TV show's word on anything.)

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #40  Postby Parrot » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:50 am

I just finished my fifth article on the Ancient Aliens:

http://www.dumbassguide.info/blog.php?bid=87

This one deals with ancient stone cutting.
Parrot
Squawking Dumbass

Next

Return to UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal