What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Post by landrew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:26 pm

Annoying commercials get people's attention, but not as well as good commercials. People who set out to make annoying commercials have got the concept wrong. When bad publicity lands in your lap, it can sometimes be turned around skillfully into a positive thing, but there's nothing good about bad publicity in the first place.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:30 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Strange. Plz, bee careful, TJ.
Thanks - will do. That was my last box of the evening too, so if I had ignored the smell and gone in for the night, the barn might easily have gone up in smoke. Bike, tools, bee gear, and of course reputation... then a couple of months of police investigation and suspicion.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Yeah, don't trust Silicon Sally (that's what I call her).

She tried to drive me off a cliff!

In a new town, look at a 2D paper map, need to go there from here, plug it in the navcomp, OK, looks good. Chart.

Took me on the most roundabout way ever, and failed to notify me of the sheer drop from one section of the same road name to the other.

Seriously, you could BASE jump off this cliff, and land on the same street.

The only thing that stopped me were a few logs at the end of the road, and blue sky beyond.

That's when I said, "Show me that map again..."

It was a really nice view over Townsville, tho'.
I remember a long time ago, someone in Norway asked for the route to the next town over. Instead of showing him the road that would take him directly there, it gave him a route southward, across the sea to Denmark, down through France, through the Chunnel to England, up to Scotland, ferried back across to Norway, then south to his requested destination.

(I can't find it online anymore, alas, or I'd have posted a link to it.)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:58 pm

It`s all about your settings... shortest, use expressways, cheapest, etc. My auto Navi system has a `crow line`, letting me see if it is taking me in the right direction. I routinely take side streets when I see a shorter route and it immediately adjusts to recompute the continuation. That is... if GPS hasn`t gone haywire on me.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:03 pm

TJrandom wrote:It`s all about your settings... shortest, use expressways, cheapest, etc. My auto Navi system has a `crow line`, letting me see if it is taking me in the right direction. I routinely take side streets when I see a shorter route and it immediately adjusts to recompute the continuation. That is... if GPS hasn`t gone haywire on me.
When I set my Garmin to "fastest time" it takes me miles out of my way towards the nearest freeway. When I set it to "shortest distance" it takes me through someone's cow pasture and then it wants me to ford a river.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:29 pm

landrew wrote:
TJrandom wrote:It`s all about your settings... shortest, use expressways, cheapest, etc. My auto Navi system has a `crow line`, letting me see if it is taking me in the right direction. I routinely take side streets when I see a shorter route and it immediately adjusts to recompute the continuation. That is... if GPS hasn`t gone haywire on me.
When I set my Garmin to "fastest time" it takes me miles out of my way towards the nearest freeway. When I set it to "shortest distance" it takes me through someone's cow pasture and then it wants me to ford a river.
Don't have a setting for "fastest non-stupid route, you {!#%@} piece of {!#%@}"?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:00 pm

My friend's GPS used to take him past the turn-off ramp on highways before telling him to turn, thereby causing him to turn around and try again. And all along the way while he was doing that it would be saying, "recalculating...recalculating". I used to laugh and laugh and laugh....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:09 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
landrew wrote:
Don't have a setting for "fastest non-stupid route, you {!#%@} piece of {!#%@}"?
I tried that with the old one, but somebody had run over it before I could go back and pick it up.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:10 pm

I sometimes talk to mine too - usually when it keeps trying to make me turn around to take a route I have already rejected.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Have you ever noticed that errant drivers all have the same name? Well, maybe one of two names? ... Moron, and {!#%@} Moron.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:16 pm

One of my few "near death" experiences in the AF occurred when I had "almost" fallen asleep on the relief bunk to nap before the rest of the mission and I felt the plane make a sharp turn to the right. We were in the middle of the Atlantic going from USA to UK and I have never made any turns on that leg......so I got up and went back to the cabin to find out what was up. Everyone in the cockpit was as happy as clams. I said "Whats Up?" and got 3 blank stares coming back at me.

I looked at the flight instrument: dead on course/center line. so I said: "Why are we flying South?" Co-Pilot said because that was the course the Instruments said to fly. Navigator had just turned {!#%@} Red. Yes....very embarrassing situations, like trying to kill your whole crew, does turn your {!#%@} red. Navigator said he had programmed the computer for the next leg of the trip and had not realized he put it on display rather than in memory......AND he didn't notice the Co Pilot had turned the A/C.

All happened so fast...no one even noticed we were 3 minutes late to destination. I never liked sleeping on the airplane after that. the upshot? I told the copilot that knowing where he was and where he was going was always important. the Navigator was a Light Colonel to my New Captain...….so I just stared at him until he looked at a chart.

Reminds me though since I'm in a talkative mood, the Nav (different guy, same position...and still a Colonel===they were old and just about to transition to only computers) tried to steer us into the Mountains that surround La Paz Bolivia. On takeoff, he skipped over marker 4 and put in marker 5 by mistake, thick thumbs, or whatever was the cause. Once again...………...knowing where I was and where I wanted to go saved the day when my needle made a hard right.....I did not. Another mistake quickly remedied.....but with all the earmarks for disaster. At night, no light. Buddy died in the same location....but he dug in while landing. "Flying is not inherently dangerous, it is just very unforgiving of mistakes...……………"
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:20 pm

We call the GPS lady "Sarah" after the AI in the Sheriff's house in "Eureka."

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:11 am

Back to my kaiju... this morning I looked at my sawdust pile - it had been raining throughout the night, and there were two black eyes popping up thru the pile. The rain caused the monster to shrink and die. That was a close call, and to think that I had been following this obviously dangerous practice for the past 20+ years.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 am

TJrandom wrote:Back to my kaiju... this morning I looked at my sawdust pile - it had been raining throughout the night, and there were two black eyes popping up thru the pile. The rain caused the monster to shrink and die. That was a close call, and to think that I had been following this obviously dangerous practice for the past 20+ years.
You don't want to do a Rodan?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:48 am

Had to look that one up... :?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:14 am

TJrandom wrote:Had to look that one up... :?
You're a good ways from Mt. Aso anyway.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:58 pm

I wish GPS systems had a "least complicated" option. If I'm trying to get directions to a new place in a city I'm familiar with or if I'm just trying to figure out how to avoid traffic on my commute home I might want fastest but if I'm trying to navigate in a new city and there's a complicated route that takes 23 minutes or a simple route that takes 25, I'd rather spend the extra 2 minutes to not risk missing turns.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Ah, the environmentally friendly fuel-saving option. (Also does wonders to mental health. :-P)
Lard, save me from your followers.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:08 pm

Austin Harper wrote:I wish GPS systems had a "least complicated" option. If I'm trying to get directions to a new place in a city I'm familiar with or if I'm just trying to figure out how to avoid traffic on my commute home I might want fastest but if I'm trying to navigate in a new city and there's a complicated route that takes 23 minutes or a simple route that takes 25, I'd rather spend the extra 2 minutes to not risk missing turns.
That's when you get a tame local to help you out.

"Dude! Avoid Lindbergh between 4 and 6 PM. It's a parking lot!"

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:38 pm

When you are traveling happily to your destination, Garmin thinks it's a good idea to annoy you with "turn" instructions every few minutes. Like they are in hopes of wearing down your resistance, so that you'll eventually give in and take the freeway.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:38 pm

landrew wrote:When you are traveling happily to your destination, Garmin thinks it's a good idea to annoy you with "turn" instructions every few minutes. Like they are in hopes of wearing down your resistance, so that you'll eventually give in and take the freeway bus.

:mrgreen:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:47 pm

:lol:

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Bus, that big box thing with a guy who knows the roads around here up front.

Actually, when I transfered to a new station I'd ride all the bus routes at least once. The buses go where people want to go. And not having to drive meant I could scope out the area.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:28 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Bus, that big box thing with a guy who knows the roads around here up front.

Actually, when I transfered to a new station I'd ride all the bus routes at least once. The buses go where people want to go. And not having to drive meant I could scope out the area.
Nothing like spending a few hours experiencing the smell of vomit.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:36 pm

landrew wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Bus, that big box thing with a guy who knows the roads around here up front.

I've never been on a bus that had sanitation problems.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
landrew wrote:

I've never been on a bus that had sanitation problems.
I have, twice. Only once was it my fault.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:54 am

People be crazy.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/frederict ... -1.4049107
Fredericton man charged with 4 counts of first-degree murder in shootings
Nobody knows why he did it.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/11/us/p ... index.html
Richard Russell ... stole a passenger plane Friday from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and was killed when he crashed 25 miles away.
He went on a joy ride, then flew it into the ground -- but not before attempting a barrel roll.

Has someone set the bar so high that everybody's gotta be REALLY {!#%@}' NUTS these days?

Thanks, Trump.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:21 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Actually, when I transfered to a new station I'd ride all the bus routes at least once. The buses go where people want to go. And not having to drive meant I could scope out the area.
I love public transport as you can look out the window.

And this is where Amanda and I won the "tech-idiots of the year" contest. We bought ticket for the trams in Budapest which came printed on hard paper. When we got on the tram there was a box next to the driver with a picture of a ticket. So I carefully placed the ticket on the picture waiting for it to scan the ticket. Nothing happened and people started laughing . I then carefully inserted the ticket in the slot at the top. Nothing happened and people laughed again. Then a little old lady grabbed my ticket, shoved it in the slot and pulled a big lever above the box which punched two holes in the ticket.
:D

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:50 am

Budapest is full of little old ladies. I love the place. We had a regular taxi driver last time we were there to take us to the not-so obvious places. I remember him pointing to a fairly typical concrete cube of a modernish building and saying "KGB - Ha ha ha".

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:20 am

Ah, the olden days when we had tram conductors... If you didn't have a ticket, they'd just sell you one. They were usually very outgoing kinds of people and would chat with anyone, crack jokes, help tourists, old folk, mothers with prams, point-out landmarks, espouse local history, sing, kick drunk idiots off at the next stop...

They made every tram ride an experience.

Now we've got an impersonal electronic system that doesn't even pay for itself, and our lives are all the poorer.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:38 am

Sooo - how often were you kicked off? :lol:

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:47 am

NEVER! I can hold my liquor.

Well, actually, I have been kicked out of a few pubs. But it wasn't really kicked out, more like politely advised it's probably time for me to go home.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:NEVER! I can hold my liquor.

Well, actually, I have been kicked out of a few pubs. But it wasn't really kicked out, more like politely advised it's probably time for me to go home.
Last time I was drunk in public it took seven Shore Patrol to get me in the paddy wagon.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:27 pm

I once started projectile vomiting in a pub and then my legs gave out. Friends had to lift/carry me to a car and take me home. But I wasn't even drunk, the beer I never finished was still standing on the table. I had caught some virus that decided to make itself known just then. Still, very embarrassing. :blush:

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:52 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Last time I was drunk in public it took seven Shore Patrol to get me in the paddy wagon.
Like I said. :P

In more detail...

One, I fell asleep in the stairwell. It was a long day.

Another, I was designated driver for a bunch of chicks that wanted to go to a lesbian bar, and a butch wanted to fight me, just because I was sitting at the bar and had the wrong genitals.

Then, at a seedy strip joint, playing pool against a 6'6" skinhead with barbed wire tattoed around his neck. He was standing over me say he's going to slit my throat, mate. I put all my balls away, left the black, put my cue on the table, and went to watch the next show. The bouncer tapped me on the shoulder and said they're waiting for you out the front, and took me out the back.

The last, I had a date at a live blues/rock pub. She turned out to be a vegetarian and non-dancer. What's that? So I told her to bugger off and started chatting up a midget. She was standing next to me at the bar. Just trying to be friendly. Not my fault I had to crouch down to hear WTF she was saying over the band. Apparently it was {!#%@} off, she was a regular, and the bouncers escorted me to the door. But they let me finish my drink and we had a conversation. Bit of a misunderstanding, but best I move along.
Last edited by Major Malfunction on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Like I said. :P
Hold my liquor and watch this!

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Hold my liquor and watch this!
I was worried this would happen. I added some details. See up. ^ :)

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:23 pm

I was asked not to come back to 'Fight the Bouncer' night at a lez club in San Diego. I was spoiling her mojo.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:14 pm

IKR? I've been to a bunch of gay bars and been made to feel nothing but welcome. I've had my arse felt, but that's par for the course.
None of them wanted to kill me.

Not helping the angry lesbian stereotype.

Another place I used to regular was a bikie bar. Full of people that kinda look like you. I rode a Japanese bike, but they knew me and my mates were good blokes. We had lots of conversations. They probably also liked our girlfriends, since they were the youngest and prettiest things in the room.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 pm

When I got the butt grope I'd tell the lady I was with "There's one for you." She liked to fight. Would have been MMA today, back then she was just a scrapper.