An apple a day keeps the doctor away...but I have 11 of them

If the red house has blue shutters and the green house has red shutters, what's this section for?

An apple a day keeps the doctor away...but I have 11 of them

Post #1  Postby finallyskeptic » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:49 pm

AJU,BAJU,CAJU and DAJU are four perfect logicians and members of the perfect logicians club.They were sitting around a table.On the table was a bowl containing 11 apples.Their discussion started.By the end of their discussion the apples had finished.
Each of them had at least one apple and knew how many apples he/she had.They wanted to know how many apples the other had so they asked each others questions.
AJU;Did you have more apples than me BAJU?
BAJU:I dont know.Did you eat more apples than me CAJU?
CAJU:I dont know.Did you eat more apples than me DAJU?
DAJU:I got it.
Daju got the answer.
Question:Like Daju can you workout how many apples did each of them have?
If you like anything please thank the poster.
finallyskeptic
----Blank----
Regular Poster

Re: An apple a day keeps the doctor away...but I have 11 of them

Post #2  Postby Gord » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Ooh, I've never heard of this one before!  Let's see what I can come up with. :mrgreen:

Let's see.  11 apples.  Each of the four had at least one.  That means the most anyone could have had is 8.

There are 7 apples unaccounted for.  So, if someone had 5 (the first one, plus 4 of the other 7), then no one else could have had more than them (they could have had the first one, plus a maximum of 3 of the other 7).  Therefore no one would have to ask anyone else if they'd had more.

Aju asked someone, so he had 4 or fewer apples.  Therefore eat ate either 1, 2, 3, or 4 apples.

Baju asked too, so he had 4 or fewer apples.  However, he knew he didn't have the same number or fewer, so he had either 2, 3, or 4.

Same thing with Caju, too, except he knew Baju didn't have only 1, so Caju must have eaten either 3 or 4 apples.  But then, he asked Daju if he'd had more, so Caju couldn't have had 4 (because he knew no one would have had more than he did -- Aju had at least 1, Baju at least 2, and if he'd had 4, then the most Daju could have had would have been 4, too.  Therefore, Caju must have had 3 apples!

And then, since Caju didn't know if that was more than Baju had eaten...uh...then that means that....  Ummmm....

Hmm.

Okay, I need think this through some more.

Baju had at least 2 apples.  After Caju asked, "Did you eat more apples than me DAJU?" then Baju knew Caju had eaten 3 apples.  Would that let him know if he'd eaten more apples than Aju?  Only if Baju had eaten 4 apples.  Hmm.  I don't see how this helps me.

Hmmmmmmm.

IF Daju had eaten 4 apples, and he knew Caju had eaten 3, and that Baju had eaten at least 2, then he now would know that Aju ate either 2 or 1.  (If Baju ate 2, then so did Aju; if Baju ate 3, then Aju ate 1.)

IF Daju had eaten 3 apples, and he knew Caju had eaten 3, and that Baju had eaten at least 2, then he now would know that Aju ate either 3, 2, or 1.  (If Baju ate 2, then Aju ate 3; if Baju ate 3, then Aju ate 2; if Baju ate 4, then Aju ate 1.)

IF Daju had eaten 2 apples, and he knew Caju had eaten 3 and that Baju had eaten at least 2, then he now would know that Aju ate either 4, 3, or 2.  (If Baju ate 2, then Aju ate 4; if Baju ate 3, then Aju ate 3; if Baju ate 4, then Aju ate 2.)

IF Daju had eaten 1 apple, and he knew Caju had eaten 3 and that Baju had eaten at least 2, then he now would know that Aju ate either 4 or 3 AND that Baju are either 4 or 3.  (If Baju ate 4, then Aju ate 3; if Baju ate 3, then Aju ate 4.)

:?

Guess I need to think about it some more. :frown:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site

"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #3  Postby finallyskeptic » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:34 am

You need to think a bit more you were quite right in the beginning.
finallyskeptic
----Blank----
Regular Poster

Post #4  Postby Gord » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:27 am

Yes, I see.  Daju never asked anyone.  I need to consider that he's eaten at least 5 apples.

If he ate 5, and he knows that Caju ate 3, that's 8 already.  He knows Baju had at least 2 and Aju had at least 1.  That's a total of 11 already.

So I would guess that Daju had 5 apples, Caju had 3, Baju had 2 and Aju had 1.

Is that correct?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Post #5  Postby finallyskeptic » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:40 am

Sure it is....Guess thinking about delicious apples is what that pushed you off track...
finallyskeptic
----Blank----
Regular Poster

Post #6  Postby Gord » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:50 am

Yay!

(Actually, it was probably a combination of watching TV and not being smart enough to get it the first time. ;) )

Gord
up the stairs creepily
Has No Life

Return to Brainteasers