It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri May 25, 2018 10:41 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote: The level of private debt doesn't matter much, it is rate of acceleration of private debt which matters to the economy. The relationship between debt acceleration and economic performance is better than .9.
Can that be right? Seems to me....private debt can quickly rise to unsustainable levels and then stop dead cold. THEN you have zero acceleration and unsupportable private debt levels. Sounds like a overemphasis on process rather than effect?
Acceleration can be positive or negative, or zero. When the mortgage collapse became rampant and housing prices nosedived, enough Americans believed their own debt was too high and began paying down their credit cards etc. Debt acceleration went from + to -, and the economy tanked. In Canada, we did not have a housing collapse, and private debt levels did not decellerate, and our economy did not tank very much ( a bit, because we export a lot to the US, and some exports dropped. A big whack of infrastructure spending by the gov't pretty much negated all that. Australia cut everybody a check, which took care of whatever debt deceleration they might have had and their economy didn't tank either.

When debt acceleration is negative (deceleration), capitalist economies tank. At zero, they stagnate.
OlegTheBatty wrote: The foundation of capitalism is private debt, not public debt.
No...its always a combo plate.[/quote]

The notion that public debt is dangerous came from a few observations. There appeared to be a correlation, so economists (who had no idea how to model it) assumed there was causation. There are far more examples of high public debt not affecting anything, but the myth persists.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Grinanne Barrett

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat May 26, 2018 10:53 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:Had enough of winning? Relax, if this story is right, it's soon going to stop. I'm guessing sooner rather than later, as prices begin to rise and along with them interest rates.
The level of private debt doesn't matter much, it is rate of acceleration of private debt which matters to the economy. The relationship between debt acceleration and economic performance is better than .9.

The level of public debt is pretty much irrelevant to the economy. It may affect the fiscal performance of government if it gets so high that debt servicing interferes with the normal operations of government, but it's effect on the economy is next to nil.

The foundation of capitalism is private debt, not public debt.
Thanks, I'm in no position to critique that article myself, being rather uninformed about economics. From mathematics, I do know that very often it's not the absolute value of a variable that is important, but the absolute value of its derivative or second derivative, and that's what your first comment seems to be saying, roughly the economic analog of F = ma.
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Karl Jaspers (1883–1968), at the re-opening of Heidelberg University, 1945

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat May 26, 2018 10:57 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:Had enough of winning? Relax, if this story is right, it's soon going to stop. I'm guessing sooner rather than later, as prices begin to rise and along with them interest rates.

It’s very strange this odd reversal of logic, cutting taxes in times of growth to....stimulate more growth????

This inevitably leads to crashes. Better tighter taxes now during a boom to cut debt than waiting for a crash that you need to increase debt.
And even old Herbert Hoover knew better than this. He had the concept of using government spending as a balance wheel, so it paid down the national debt during a boom and let it rise during a recession. (He also wanted to declare a bank holiday during 1932, but Roosevelt very cannily clobbered him with that issue during the campaign, publicly denouncing the idea. Then, after getting elected, that is among the very first things that he did. Political economy is a bizarre subject.)
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat May 26, 2018 11:02 am

Open question (I don't know the answer): How does one calculate the ideal rate of inflation under various conditions of the economy? I've heard and believe that deflation suppresses consumption, because people are waiting for prices to get even lower before they purchase. Conversely, a bit of inflation encourages immediate spending, before the prices rise. But at what point does the price rise begin to overwhelm the wage rise, so that people are forced to rein in spending? As I said, political economy, is a tangled mess, at least to me.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Sat May 26, 2018 3:58 pm

The ideal rate of inflation is zero.
But since low inflation is preferable to even low deflation, central banks tend to favor low inflation.
Politicians prefer even higher inflation, because it makes it look like the economy is growing even if it isn't really.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Sun May 27, 2018 9:07 am

The White House official who doesn`t exist... according to Trump. Lets see who gets fired next. ;)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun May 27, 2018 3:14 pm

Even though he's being blocked from blocking, it seems useless to read or write about his propaganda feed. It's crowing fake "victories" and charges strictly for blindly believing Trumpanzees.
Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun May 27, 2018 3:54 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Even though he's being blocked from blocking, it seems useless to read or write about his propaganda feed. It's crowing fake "victories" and charges strictly for blindly believing Trumpanzees.
Imagine a person who ONLY watches Faux Spews and thinks he knows it all? It actually is........deplorable.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun May 27, 2018 5:37 pm

Maybe it would be helpful if the WH paparazzi would stop asking him about those things during official functions and on the WH lawn and only stick to the issues at hand. It wouldn't prevent his twitterings and FAUX Noise spills but, perhaps, diminish the impact of his outpourings to some extend.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun May 27, 2018 6:04 pm

But maybe nothing can get through the "We don't care - he's undoing the "Obama agenda" and that's all that counts." patridiotic attitude.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun May 27, 2018 7:21 pm

TJrandom wrote:The White House official who doesn`t exist... according to Trump. Lets see who gets fired next. ;)
I wonder if Trump's rock-stupid followers will EVER understand that an anonymous source is not the same thing as an invented source, and the New York Times does not EVER invent sources.

Meanwhile, I'm struck by this passage of the link:
Nonexistent White House Source wrote:I think that the main point, I suppose, is that the ball is in North Korea’s court right now. There’s really not a lot of time. There’s a certain amount of actual dialogue that needs to take place at the working level with your counterparts to ensure that the agenda is clear in the minds of those two leaders when they sit down to actually meet and talk and negotiate and hopefully make a deal. And June 12 is in ten minutes.
This guy does need to be fired, for sheer stupidity, if he thinks ANY agenda, or any serious idea whatever, is EVER going to be "clear in the mind" of Donald Trump.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun May 27, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm sure Kim is well prepared to attentively listen to the success stories and heartfelt gripes of the poor, poor victim to then offer an irresistible deal after a few "there, theres". And get absolutely and exactly what he wants.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun May 27, 2018 10:55 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
The level of private debt doesn't matter much, it is rate of acceleration of private debt which matters to the economy. The relationship between debt acceleration and economic performance is better than .9.

The level of public debt is pretty much irrelevant to the economy. It may affect the fiscal performance of government if it gets so high that debt servicing interferes with the normal operations of government, but it's effect on the economy is next to nil.

The foundation of capitalism is private debt, not public debt.
Thanks, I'm in no position to critique that article myself, being rather uninformed about economics. From mathematics, I do know that very often it's not the absolute value of a variable that is important, but the absolute value of its derivative or second derivative, and that's what your first comment seems to be saying, roughly the economic analog of F = ma.
Exactly. It amazes me that economists have not utilized calculus until after 2000, and it is still not used much by the Old Boys. Math is not a requirement for economics. :scare:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon May 28, 2018 10:22 am

Ho hum, it appears that, having rescued ZTE for China, Trump is now playing Chicken of the Sea with them in the South China Sea. There are Americans who will regard this as a matter of principle: Freedom of navigation on the open sea. Well, that's precisely the point in dispute. According to China, that ISN'T the open sea; it's Chinese territory.

At bottom, this is a game of King of the Hill, which we boys used to play when I was in elementary school. You make a mound out of anything, and then it's a free-for-all struggle, with everybody pushing and shoving everybody else to see who can stay at the top of it. The US is used to being King of the Hill, but China is beginning to get enough muscle to dislodge it.

Does it occur to anyone that this is a DANGEROUS game? There are warships moving around on both sides with tactical nuclear weapons, and the mechanisms for controlling the use of those weapons are anything but secure. People astonishingly far down the military hierarchy have the power to initiate their use.

You can find a series of excellent essays on these and other dangers, all written by a man you may have heard of, at this link. Among many interesting essays, you'll find a link to Bill Moyers's review of Ellsberg's latest book, which makes the following crucial point:
Bill Moyers wrote:Yes, no matter the president, from Truman and Ike to Obama and Trump, it has been American policy to launch a nuclear first-strike even if we have not yet been attacked.
Most Americans don't believe that. Most Americans also don't believe anybody but the President can authorize the use of nuclear weapons. They are dangerously wrong in both cases.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:01 pm

Happy Memorial Day!!!!
In honor of the occasion, here is God:
God
God
@TheTweetOfGod
This is not the first time I've said this, but it continues to be applicable:

{!#%@} you, {!#%@}.
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Happy Memorial Day! Those who died for our great country would be very happy and proud at how well our country is doing today. Best economy in decades, lowest unemployment numbers for Blacks and Hispanics EVER (& women in 18years), rebuilding our Military and so much more. Nice!

Guess who I now believe in.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thetweetofgo ... 8175333376
Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Bill Moyers wrote:Yes, no matter the president, from Truman and Ike to Obama and Trump, it has been American policy to launch a nuclear first-strike even if we have not yet been attacked.
Most Americans don't believe that. Most Americans also don't believe anybody but the President can authorize the use of nuclear weapons. They are dangerously wrong in both cases.
thats a thing with good points. You make or find a good point, and then expand upon it until it becomes stupid.

Truman is the only person to have launched 2 Nukes against ground human targets and it was as the result of being first-struck by Japan.

.................and how can it be said it is the Policy of the USA when it has never otherwise been used?????

We see this exaggeration to stupidity all the time. In fact, for some twisted reason, its hard to avoid.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon May 28, 2018 8:09 pm

policy: a course or principle of action adopted or proposed by a government, party, business, or individual

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 28, 2018 8:35 pm

" U.S. policy is essentially that if the president of the United States says launch the nuke, you launch the nuke. There is no process in place to ensure that the president is making the decision with a sound (or even sober) mind, backed up by facts, or that the president is supported by other important government officials." //// Is "no policy" a policy of first strike?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:55 pm

You know, I now miss the narcissistic attitude of the bloated one.
It’s all about him, look at it again:
“realDonaldTrump
Happy Memorial Day! Those who died for our great country would be very happy and proud at how well our country is doing today. Best economy in decades, lowest unemployment numbers for Blacks and Hispanics EVER (& women in 18years), rebuilding our Military and so much more. Nice!”
Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon May 28, 2018 10:06 pm

He took "credit" later, but not in that statement. On its own........its a compliment to Obama.....as there is lag time for all policies to show their effect. Just as once again as usual the next Dumbocrat in office will have to fix the Mess Trump will leave us............

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue May 29, 2018 4:45 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:You know, I now miss the narcissistic attitude of the bloated one.
“realDonaldTrump
Happy Memorial Day! Those who died for our great country would be very happy and proud at how well our country is doing today. Best economy in decades, lowest unemployment numbers for Blacks and Hispanics EVER (& women in 18years), rebuilding our Military and so much more. Nice!”
Aw, don't be so harsh on the old man.

Who’s going to give back the young and beautiful lives (and others) that have been devastated and destroyed by the phony Russia Collusion Witch Hunt? They journeyed down to Washington, D.C., with stars in their eyes and wanting to help our nation...They went back home in tatters!

He sorely misses Hope and Rob. :cray:

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:17 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:You know, I now miss the narcissistic attitude of the bloated one.
“realDonaldTrump
Aw, don't be so harsh on the old man.

Who’s going to give back the young and beautiful lives (and others) that have been devastated and destroyed by the phony Russia Collusion Witch Hunt? They journeyed down to Washington, D.C., with stars in their eyes and wanting to help our nation...They went back home in tatters!

He sorely misses Hope and Rob. :cray:

Aaaaawwww, how touching. Maybe next time avoid colluding with a foreign power....just a thought.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue May 29, 2018 5:35 pm

But but but... they so valiantly fought for the country!

Spoiler:
Which one?

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:04 pm

It’s white genocide:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ke ... 8a88097feb

The reality is that it is too hard to have children and have a career.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue May 29, 2018 6:18 pm

So the story of the nearly 1500 lost children is that the administration placed them in the care of relatives and others - all known criminals* - and that's why there was no response when they inquired about them? (But not others.)

Of course, anyone in that group is automatically a criminal. That's why we charge them with the care of little ones.

* I don't think that's what they meant, but that's how it came across. :-P

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Tue May 29, 2018 7:17 pm

Dobbs: Obama policy on young immigrants 'created' the crisis at the ...

http://www.politifact.com/.../2014/.../ ... ed-crisis/

Jul 23, 2014 - Fox Business host Lou Dobbs said Obama's policy to defer deportation action on young immigrants "created" today's flood of children at the ...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Tue May 29, 2018 7:23 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:It’s white genocide:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ke ... 8a88097feb

The reality is that it is too hard to have children and have a career.
--------well...that's not too hysterical ..is it....'genocide'.... the system was created by men....and yes ..woman executives often have no kids...always been that way...they want career zombies....many more people choose not to have kids for their own reasons....while the rich hire strangers to raise their kids....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue May 29, 2018 7:26 pm

But you support a rich administration that engages in child trafficking! Still, Arpaio shouldn't have put them in cages...

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Tue May 29, 2018 7:28 pm

all admins are rich...this one more so....and don't know if it's true...most presidents including Hillary have used mind controlled sex slaves...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue May 29, 2018 7:28 pm

"Mueller will meddle in the midterms" - which raises the question what this administration is doing against foreign meddling. They already hacked into state systems and might just have gone into hibernation there until the fall.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Tue May 29, 2018 7:30 pm

people have happier lives without kids...kids are way over rated...a local department store was known years ago to mostly only hire older people so no kids /absent problems...........why don't women stay home and raise their own kids?.....couples also want all the things fast their parents had after 30 yrs ....house, travel...

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Tue May 29, 2018 8:20 pm

Bill & Hillary Clinton “Engage In Sex With Minors” – EX US Department ...

http://www.collective-evolution.com/... ... nors-ex-us...

Nov 30, 2017 - Epstein is an American financier and sex offender, with close ties to the Clinton’s. As mentioned above, the Clinton’s were a frequent flyer on his jet, taking dozens of trips aboard the “Lolita Express.”. Former President Bill Clinton was a much more frequent flyer on the ...

Hillary: Minors crossing border must be sent home - The Washington ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../hill ... e-sent-hom...

Jun 18, 2014 - If you want to understand just how difficult a jam Obama is in right now on immigration, pay close attention to Hillary Clinton's remarks at a town ...

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:31 pm

No, really. He’s a great businessman, you’ll get tired of all the winning:
http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/investi ... index.html

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue May 29, 2018 9:16 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Happy Memorial Day!!!!
God
God
@TheTweetOfGod

{!#%@} you, {!#%@}.
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Happy Memorial Day! Those who died for our great country would be very happy and proud at how well our country is doing today. Best economy in decades, lowest unemployment numbers for Blacks and Hispanics EVER (& women in 18years), rebuilding our Military and so much more. Nice!

WTF?? Does Trump go to a convent and wish the nuns a "Happy Good Friday"?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue May 29, 2018 9:19 pm

He undoubtedly would. Uncertain tho, if that'd be before or after the grabbing.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue May 29, 2018 9:21 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:No, really. He’s a great businessman, you’ll get tired of all the winning:
http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/investi ... index.html

Geez! 25% tariff, just like that! It will be interesting to watch the DJIA for the rest of the week. Trump, of course, has been revealed as a loser in his dealings with China, almost constantly. So now he wants to appear tough. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Tue May 29, 2018 9:24 pm

why is it good Friday?.....and...you do know Hillary, bill, Obama didn't want to die for their country or serve...right?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue May 29, 2018 9:28 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Jeffk 1970 wrote:Happy Memorial Day!!!!
God
God
@TheTweetOfGod

{!#%@} you, {!#%@}.
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

WTF?? Does Trump go to a convent and wish the nuns a "Happy Good Friday"?
. . . or go to a maternity ward and wish the ladies a happy Labour Day?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Tue May 29, 2018 9:29 pm

don't they want the country doing well? maybe they wanted the country to become a 3rd world country...

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Tue May 29, 2018 9:48 pm

Ahem... in many ways, it is a 3rd world country... a war zone thanks to the NRA; uber rich getting richer thanks to the so-called conservatives; no national healthcare; education underfunded and splintered; etc., etc.