Baking Soda + Vinegar==How do you clean a drain?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Baking Soda + Vinegar==How do you clean a drain?

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:15 pm

My kitchen drain has been "slow" forever. I don't think its tree roots as all other drains in the house work just fine. I have always assume just food particles and minor grease as I do use the trash container rather than disposer very regularly. Fill old cans with crap that I assume many people will put down the drain. I have to use the plunger 2-3 times a week to get it going. About 7 years ago, it totally plugged and I cleared it by stopping up the other side and making a tight fit around a garden hose and letting that go at full power. It worked. Looks like I need to do that again..........but....a chemical solution would be nice.

"Use half cup of baking soda followed by half cup of vinegar. When you see the bubbles, you know its working" Supposedly, makes an acid attack on the sludge? //////// Now......its not working except that the vinegar is interacting with the baking soda....each actually cancelling the other out??????? No "acid" is being produced. so...I've looked and cannot find what this solution is supposed to be doing.........same with adding salt to the equation. Anyhoo........its never worked for me. Just the high pressure water...with the risk of broken pipes...which I hope "should not" happen?

I've used the plunger repeatedly along with boiling water.

What do any of you do?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Baking Soda + Vinegar==How do you clean a drain?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Cut it open with a snake. With a cutter head you have a positive clearance. Everything else is "probably will work" or "maybe will work".
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Before trying snaking my crooked pipes, I prefer to use the strong bleach stuff over a baking soda volcano. And you said you weren't using that disposal thingy too often. Ever cleaned that thing?
Lard, save me from your followers.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:41 pm

At DIY stores they sell copper sulfate powder for this purpose - in case roots are a contributing factor.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:58 pm

1. Snake: I agree this is the way to go....but like Eggs, I've got a number of tight U-turns. Hmmm....the right design should work....although I would have to take the U-Trap apart to get past the first sink strainer. Too bad I don't have any medical equipment. A nice heart vessel de-calcifying micro abrasion would be GREAT!....Small enough to get past the sink and past the U curves. I'll check the home market for a small headed snake...........after using the hose pressure.

2. Bleach: I only know it as a disinfectant that I actually use quite regularly once I figured out how fast it ages. So "get it and use it." //// a quick google says bleach can dissolve anything that is acidic....such as hair. So I
will give that my first ever go. Thanks eggs.

3. Tree Roots. I do have two tall redwoods that could have roots for 100 Feet....but given my plumbing I'd think other curcuits would be fouled as well......I suspect my kitchen line is clogged before it even goes underground. From life as a kiddie....we had tree roots that required a power rooter every 2-3 years. since my drain is only a slow one for years....I'm guessing its not roots. Could be...always.

I WILL report back but processes may take 1-2 days.

Other suggestions welcomed.

Holy Cow: I put full strength bleach on the drain and in 15 minutes the water level has gone down 3 inches with some bubbles and lots of "gunk" floating on the surface. Its not running yet.....but I have hopes.

Re the garbage disposer....I barely use it but do clean it with ice cubes every now and then. With all the warnings about what not to put down it......I can see not having a disposer at all. A throw away bucket for the trash makes more sense.
Last edited by bobbo_the_Pragmatist on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 pm

A snake head shaped like a lemon will make the turns.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:23 pm

My neighbor has offered his hand driven snake should I request. I'm confident this is one issue that might get solved........as in, everything is temporary. My kitchen plumbing is wholly inadequate. 1.25 inch piping with almost no slope with 3 U-turns before going underground. Part of my master plan is to fix that. may have to jack the house up a foot to do it...........well worth it.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Wow. Another 15 minutes.....another 3 inches. Six in total. It had gone 2 days with ZERO loss of water even after hot water and the plunger. I need a new plunger....the flange on mine is ripped and wont give the seal needed to get good pressure...still, its worked for 7 years.

I am resisting adding hot water and the plunger right now.......will give it overnight at least. I'd try the baking soda and vinegar except I'm out of baking soda having used it all up last time...........and it didn't work. Sure looks like the bleach is though.......eventually. One google said to use dish washing liquid as well.....makes everything slippery. I'll try that too if above doesn't work.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Looking around Youtube........trying to find out what/why happens when you combine salt and vinegar....nothing yet.

but it made me think of using mentos and coke. That should really create a pressure push .........all I need to do is buy a second sink capper to close off the second sink. Takes a moment for the reaction to start...so I should be able to put my weight on two stoppers and have CHEMISTRY DO THE WORK.......just as god intended.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:My neighbor has offered his hand driven snake should I request ...
You keep a very careful eye on that neighbour, bobbo. :shock:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:08 pm

Sure looks like the bleach is though.......eventually. One google said to use dish washing liquid as well
DON'T MIX THOSE WITHOUT A GAS MASK!
Lard, save me from your followers.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:18 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Looking around Youtube........trying to find out what/why happens when you combine salt and vinegar....nothing yet.

but it made me think of using mentos and coke. That should really create a pressure push .........all I need to do is buy a second sink capper to close off the second sink. Takes a moment for the reaction to start...so I should be able to put my weight on two stoppers and have CHEMISTRY DO THE WORK.......just as god intended.
Baking soda + vinegar produces carbon dioxide. That is what is bubbling when you add them to your drain. They are reacting with each other, not with your clog.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:38 pm

Oleg: quite right. Thats what I said. Production of co2 is what menthos and coke do as well but at such a violent rate that it actually creates pressure.....something the vinegar and baking soda does not do.....and I don't think it "creates acid" as so many google hits say it does. My experience over the years has been that BS and Vinegar is worthless.

Well....one hour in and the bleach "worked." My drain now allows the seepage of water...about two cups a minute. Not ideal........but I can make that work while figuring out other chemical solutions. Just for the Hey! of it, I put half a cup of dish soap down the drain...I'll let it sit a few hours and follow with a gallon of boiling water.

I'll check the stores for caustic soda, get some baking soda too. I'm leaving the snake for the last fix as I assume if I find the chemicals that work, I can use them once a year with relative ease whereas the snake is just a pain in the butt having little space to work in.....and MY joints are more stiff than the P trap's is. Had a snake a a kiddie once. Name him George. Took him everywhere with me. Hit with the guys.......girls didn't seem to like him?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:26 am

"Pour caustic soda down the drain. Caustic soda, or sodium hydroxide, is an extremely strong chemical that will dissolve most blockages clogging up your sink. Caustic soda can be purchased at most hardware stores. Dilute 3 cups (750 ml) of caustic soda with 3/4 gallon (3 L) of cold water in a large mop bucket.
How to Unclog a Sink: 10 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
https://www.wikihow.com/Unclog-a-Sink"

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Post by Nikki Nyx » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:06 pm

I do use the baking soda + white vinegar thing, but only to get rid of smells coming from the drain, not to clear clogs. With a clog, I clean out the trap first, then reassemble it and run boiling water down the drain. If that doesn't work, heavy duty Liquid Plummer or an analog.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Replacing small or a poorly designed pipe layout isn`t all that difficult, so long as you have access to the underfloor area. If you re suffering clogs once a year, a replacement would seem prudent.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:03 pm

TJrandom wrote:Replacing small or a poorly designed pipe layout isn`t all that difficult, so long as you have access to the underfloor area. If you re suffering clogs once a year, a replacement would seem prudent.
Use flexible piping.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:I do use the baking soda + white vinegar thing, but only to get rid of smells coming from the drain, not to clear clogs. With a clog, I clean out the trap first, then reassemble it and run boiling water down the drain. If that doesn't work, heavy duty Liquid Plummer or an analog.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:11 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Replacing small or a poorly designed pipe layout isn`t all that difficult, so long as you have access to the underfloor area. If you re suffering clogs once a year, a replacement would seem prudent.
Use flexible piping.
I don`t like flexible pipe for any drain that might carry hair, oils, or food particles - as I believe the flexible pipes all have ridges which can catch solids and create blockages. IMO, slightly larger than required rigid PVC is the better choice.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Reminds me of the time my father was trying to clear a clogged kitchen drain. Plunger didn't work. Snake didn't work. "Liquid Plumber" didn't work. Then he poured some sulfuric acid into it.

Hilarity ensued. Pea green water violently bubbled up out of that drain along with intense chlorine fumes. He beat us all out the front door.

Clog got cleared...or so he thought. What actually happened was that the sulfuric acid dissolved the old lead pipe in the basement. Nice pool of chemicals in his workshop!

He called a professional plumber who snaked the line from there to the street and repaired the dissolved pipe.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Reminds me of the time my father was trying to clear a clogged kitchen drain. Plunger didn't work. Snake didn't work. "Liquid Plumber" didn't work. Then he poured some sulfuric acid into it.

Hilarity ensued. Pea green water violently bubbled up out of that drain along with intense chlorine fumes. He beat us all out the front door.

Clog got cleared...or so he thought. What actually happened was that the sulfuric acid dissolved the old lead pipe in the basement. Nice pool of chemicals in his workshop!

He called a professional plumber who snaked the line from there to the street and repaired the dissolved pipe.
Was he ever in the Navy? 'Cause he sure sounds like some of my troopers. :evil:

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:Reminds me of the time my father was trying to clear a clogged kitchen drain. Plunger didn't work. Snake didn't work. "Liquid Plumber" didn't work. Then he poured some sulfuric acid into it.

Army.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:33 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Army.
Ours?

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:46 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Army.
Ours?
But of course.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Must have been Viet Nam era.... :lol:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:29 pm

SO=========where can I get some sulphuric acid?.........sounds like it would work!

I agree with being anti flexible pipe....maybe good for a short run that was easy to get to.

My clog continues to get better. Not quite back to as good as it was in its chronic slow running condition....but almost useable now with the plunger once a week. Still going to try the caustic soda and maybe another go with the bleach as it worked so good last time and seems to have a continuing effect. The thing with a slow running clog is that most of the chemicals just wash right thru........seems to me. Almost better to have a total clog and then hope the chemical soaks thru the whole clog so that if it breaks, the whole thing will go?

Anyhoo.......another few days with a few more chemicals and hot water..........and then I'll use my hose technique. And...I'll even spend the money for a new plunger....I think a few pounds pressure from a good fitting pressure skirt could make all the difference.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:01 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Army.
Ours?
But of course.
Skeptic Army!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:29 am

You call this rag tag group of misfits "an Army?"-----------well, you do go to war with what you got.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:32 am

Gord wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Army.
Ours?
But of course.
Skeptic Army!
Septic

:lol:

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:18 am

Well, that tanked.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:41 am

Well.......its been a few days. I haven't done anything extra after my last post. The drain continued to drain faster and faster and I'm back to where it was before. Still not "open" as it should be and still slow...... almost like there is a kink in a hose situation. The pure bleach is something I didn't use before and it worked great for whatever was clogging my drain which I assume was NO grease, NO hair, but a variety of food waste all of small size. Bleach must dissolve "food?" Think I'll put a few different food items in a jar and see what bleach does to them.

....................still going to buy a package of menthos and see what coke co2 explosion will do for the pipes. i won't be satisfied until its much worse than leaving it alone................

VFX
BANNED

Post by VFX » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Cant see how sodium bicarbonate and ethanoic acid would work, except create a lot of bubbles. I think I'd try a solution of Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda) which will de-grease much of the drain.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Davey Crockett (M-28), the drain will be FREE.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:35 pm

VFX wrote:Cant see how sodium bicarbonate and ethanoic acid would work, except create a lot of bubbles. I think I'd try a solution of Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda) which will de-grease much of the drain.
If you are talking about Menthos and Coke.....all the videos I see show a pretty violent (aka High Pressure reaction. If it sends a stream of coke up 20 feet from the coke bottle, I assume it will do the same against any clog in a drain. Maybe just more "gas" than any cleansing action, but this is what experimentation/pragmatism is all about. I think it might work against a total blockage rather than a slow drain....but it will still be fun to do. The lack of effective pressure is why I think the garden hose stuck down the drain is very effictive....absent tree roots. As I've accommodated to a slow drain I might not get to the hose for awhile......contra: I'd like a full running drain so that small food particles could be disposed of without worries.

I will report back..

........................if the M-28 is a mini stick of dynomite...... that would be too much pressure. Probably work though.

VFX
BANNED

Post by VFX » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:38 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
........................if the M-28 is a mini stick of dynomite...... that would be too much pressure. Probably work though.
If you are talking about a kitchen drain, the dynamite just might add a tad too much pressure and not great for the house windows. However, we have used dynamite (Gelignite) to make drains along side a rural road instead of a digger. The effects were a little dramatic. We put in 50 sticks about half a metre apart connected by PETN cord and a no 8 detonator. It was a blast.....blew out all the windows in the district hall which was nearby and we forgot about the overhead power lines which impacted together and fused and about 20 tonne of mud and slush over the road. Electrical people went to the first power box and found the blown fuse. Never went up the road we used our fire crackers on.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:47 am

Can't have more fun than losing a few fingers to explosives. Happened to my Boss's son after they spend 10 years on piano lessons. "Ain't life ironic" is what I thought at the time.........

VFX
BANNED

Post by VFX » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:43 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Can't have more fun than losing a few fingers to explosives. Happened to my Boss's son after they spend 10 years on piano lessons. "Ain't life ironic" is what I thought at the time.........
Guess your Boss's son is not working as a concert pianist then?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:11 am

I quit that job soon after (to go to college) and did not keep in touch. Heard a rumor that he still played pretty good with his left hand. Had thumb and forefinger on his right (Does that mean cords but no melody?).....................I assume he could still play something? Since the subject has been raised, it was illegal firecrackers bought in Mexico and brought back because he was a "rich kid" and could do what he wanted to. He asked if I wanted to set some off, and I said: "No, I don't want to blow a finger off or go blind." I had learned that years before when Dad almost had one go off in his face.... the old delayed explosion trick.

but life is ironic................

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:11 am

We were so poor that we couldn`t buy fireworks – so we made our own, using carbide and water in a sealed bucket – set off by a match attached to the end of a broomstick.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:23 am

You never shaved matchstick heads and wrap that in aluminum foil? You can burn yourself, but keep all your fingers.