Wuts Oiling Your Girz Today

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Wuts Oiling Your Girz Today

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:12 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Mmm, I love rabbit.

Hey, Malf (and Lance, I think?). Maybe you guys should be making that your favorite chow! :-P

The calicivirus has been doing a pretty good job keeping their numbers down. I don't much like rabbit. I find it tough and dry. But my grandfather fed his family of eight mostly on wild rabbit he trapped.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:24 am

Nikki and Jackquie (is that neolib for Jackie?): half right which is better than all wrong. Now==>add neocons doing the same thing and you'll have a fuller picture. Of note: examine why the recognition was framed to neo-libs?

"We think with words, and flower with ideas." /// My own positive recognition and spin to the positive. New words are almost always a marker to evil afoot. My last "here it comes" wordplay warning was when the Neocons came up with "Weapons of Mass Destruction". I KNEW EVIL WAS AFOOT.....and it has played out that way....allowing for that big evil of rational thinking: CONFLATION. Now, in the more legitimate fear of Nuclear Devastation, we can first strike a country for having a stockpile of WMD which is just the precursors to chemical weapons. Neat huh? We can't wait for that smoking gun...............

So, yeah.......wordplay. Everyone does it. The remedy is: Read the frickin dictionary.

I suppose asking questions is something to do. But........if you are smart enough to ask the questions, haven't you actually answered them already? Just uncomfortable with the answer, just perhaps curious as to how bought and paid for your interlocutee (sic, I do love the wordplay finally eroded just to my own pleasure) is?

I watched Mort Saul on Dick Cavett earlier today. Need to google when/how he died. He said: "You have to be a victim of society to really understand it." Ha, ha.............so glad I didn't hear that way back when. I was on autopilot for so long. Pros and Cons to all we do.

Edit: Its Mort Sahl...............and holy crap, he's still alive. What's he been doing for 30 years? I hope whatever he really wanted to do. Radio talk show in Canada would be my guess. Sharp wit, well read. I assume he decision his was, or the friction just not worth the effort.
Last edited by bobbo_the_Pragmatist on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:40 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:Jacquie: It just hit me like a ton of bricks. This whole post-modernism/relativism theme in culture the past five years is the new "academia defense" for viewing neoliberalism as magically progressive. It contains just enough quasi-intellectual {!#%@} to make you feel smart and "woke," but nobody actually understands what it means, because words are no longer used the way they're defined. So, everyone just nods along, assuming that everyone else who spews that BS understands.

Wish #4 in Bedazzled. (#4 not counting the Big Mac & Coke) I wanted to post the clip, but that sene iz not on Youtube.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Just caught the newest new speak...and again its from the NeoCons: "Deep State." It defines a group of people who develop a bias against those who constantly lie to them.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:

Hey, Malf (and Lance, I think?). Maybe you guys should be making that your favorite chow! :-P

The calicivirus has been doing a pretty good job keeping their numbers down. I don't much like rabbit. I find it tough and dry. But my grandfather fed his family of eight mostly on wild rabbit he trapped.

Egad, I hope not!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Mom would cook us kiddies whatever we wanted for our birthday dinners. I usually chose hasenpfeffer that Mom learned to cook and love after Dad was stationed in post war Germany. Meat is meat.....especially when drowned in sauce. After age 30, I tried to get her to cook frog legs, but she wouldn't have it.

Lot's of advantages to living in the basement.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:35 pm

JO 753 wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Jacquie: It just hit me like a ton of bricks. This whole post-modernism/relativism theme in culture the past five years is the new "academia defense" for viewing neoliberalism as magically progressive. It contains just enough quasi-intellectual {!#%@} to make you feel smart and "woke," but nobody actually understands what it means, because words are no longer used the way they're defined. So, everyone just nods along, assuming that everyone else who spews that BS understands.

Wish #4 in Bedazzled. (#4 not counting the Big Mac & Coke) I wanted to post the clip, but that sene iz not on Youtube.
I never saw that movie. Was it decent?
"Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge."—Carl Sagan

"Every philosophy is tinged with the coloring of some secret imaginative background, which never emerges explicitly into its train of reasoning."—Alfred North Whitehead

"Knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world."—Louis Pasteur

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Gord wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Gord wrote:He has some weird medical condition that nobody can diagnose: he faints about once every 8 or 10 years and doesn't fully recover for several hours...
It might be orthostatic hypotension, Gord. I've had it since I hit puberty. My BP is normal most of the time (just before my surgery Friday, it was 126/73), but if I change my posture too quickly, I get vertigo and will pass out if I'm not careful.

Make sure he stands up from a sitting position slowly, especially if he's been sitting for awhile. It can also hit right after a meal, or during a hot shower. The Wiki article is a decent rundown of the symptoms, causes, and treatments.

For my dad, it can come on when he:

- urinates
- cooks
- drives his car
- sings Christmas carols
- sleeps

Then it comes on slowly, but he can feel it building up, so he knows he should sit down. (He never does, he just knows he should.) It can last for hours, too, so he might pass out, be put in bed, then try to get out of bed several times and pass out each time, then crawl back into bed.

The doctors feel that, since a saline drip can improve his condition and because urinating and getting overheated have been involved, it has to do with dehydration somehow.
Apparently, I inherited orthostatic hypotension from my dad. He's passed out after a meal, in the shower, and several times in the bathroom. Personally, I didn't ask if he'd been urinating or defecating...TMI. He and I both know not to stand up quickly then attempt to go down a staircase.

If your dad's appears to be caused by dehydration, perhaps he could set daily alarms to remind himself to drink water.
"Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge."—Carl Sagan

"Every philosophy is tinged with the coloring of some secret imaginative background, which never emerges explicitly into its train of reasoning."—Alfred North Whitehead

"Knowledge belongs to humanity, and is the torch which illuminates the world."—Louis Pasteur

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Poodle wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:... Jacquie: Language is meant to be able to be simplified. If we can't roughly summarize a theory in a paragraph, but we're not talking about quantum physics, then our theory is needlessly complicated. And we need to lighten up on calling anyone who disagrees with us a bigot, and drawing harsh lines in the sand. Instead of saying, "You're a bigot. {!#%@} off," say, "That language is bigoted, and this is why."

Hmmmm. If language was MEANT to be able to be simplified, it would be simple. And you can't disqualify the very thing which proves your argument wrong to prove your argument - we're ALWAYS talking about quantum physics. I probably agree with the rest. However, Jacquie gets a stern finger wag for abuse of argument. I'm sure she'll be suitably admonished.

Transatlantic tellings-off!! It could be a new hobby.
I think she merely failed to express the language idea properly. When she said "quantum physics," she meant discussing the concept in scientific terms. What? I understood what she meant. :P She would have worded it differently for a formal debate.

Relating it to the "liberal elite," it's unnecessary to always use the longest word you can find for a given concept. When you use graduate school level language in an attempt to communicate with people who never even went to college, you won't get anywhere. People who are uneducated tend to react to that as condescension. Not always, but mostly. As my former guitarist was wont to say to me, "Pretend I know what that word means," every time I used a word which, to me, was everyday vocabulary but, to him, might as well have been a foreign language.

One of the reasons Trump is so successful among uneducated populations is that he speaks in monosyllables, so they can understand him. He overuses very, but never uses decidedly, appreciably, extremely, incredibly, exceedingly, profoundly...and so on. In his vernacular, things are good, bad, sad, but never exceptional, abominable, lamentable. You have to tailor your words to your target audience.

Doctors do this all the time. They don't tell a patient, "You have a pilonidal cyst," they say, "You have an infected ingrown hair." They don't use the word lipoma; they say fatty tumor. (Off topic: If a lipoma is a fatty tumor, what kind of tumor is an Oklahoma?)

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:

I generally either stew or braise it, similar to what I would do with a pork tenderloin chop. Brown the outside, then add some sort of liquid and let it simmer until done.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Bedazzled iz great!

You may hav notist a 6.0 rating on IMDB. I think its mainly from fanz uv the 1968 version failing to ajust. Its a good exampl uv Sement Hed syndrome.

I saw it at the theater and luvd it so much I rented the orijinal the next day. It wuz boring and low bujet lame. Went back to see the new version the day after.

If you buy a copy, be sure its the special edition DVD bekuz the extraz are great and include an entire wish that got replased by the Prezidential wish bekuz it got a bad reaction with test audiensez. Az far az I know, the blue ray iz only available az the plain edition.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:14 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Nikki and Jackquie (is that neolib for Jackie?):
No, because it's "Jacquie," not "Jackquie." Why have we shorted "Jacqueline" to "Jackie?" Where'd the "k" come from? :mrgreen:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:half right which is better than all wrong. Now==>add neocons doing the same thing and you'll have a fuller picture. Of note: examine why the recognition was framed to neo-libs?
Because Republicans are more likely to tailor their words to their target audience. When they use multisyllabic words, they're obfuscating. Neo-libs don't bother with the simplified explanations; they expect everyone to understand them. But the expectation is flawed. Look at the average internet comment on any forum: small words, lack of punctuation, poor grammar, misspellings, illogical thinking. Many Americans are not familiar with most of their native language and don't have the tools to decipher unfamiliar words.

It's a self-centered idea that some people never outgrow...believing that everyone else thinks exactly like they do, and would take the exact same actions in a given situation. Keeping that immature attitude and allowing it to calcify prevents people from conversing in a meaningful way and means they'll judge others based on agreement with their own confirmation biases. "Oh, you don't like ___? Well, you're obviously wrong...and I'm now uninterested in your opinions on anything because, based on your disagreement with me on this one issue, you're an idiot." That's most internet debates in a nutshell..

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:"We think with words, and flower with ideas." /// My own positive recognition and spin to the positive. New words are almost always a marker to evil afoot. My last "here it comes" wordplay warning was when the Neocons came up with "Weapons of Mass Destruction". I KNEW EVIL WAS AFOOT.....and it has played out that way....allowing for that big evil of rational thinking: CONFLATION. Now, in the more legitimate fear of Nuclear Devastation, we can first strike a country for having a stockpile of WMD which is just the precursors to chemical weapons. Neat huh? We can't wait for that smoking gun...............
There's already one smoking. Republicans ignored the debt and deficit whilst enacting tax cuts for the wealthy, but you can bet everything you own that the term "fiscal responsibility" will be front and center next year...when they attack government benefits for which people have paid, like Social Security and Medicare.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:So, yeah.......wordplay. Everyone does it. The remedy is: Read the frickin dictionary.
How does a political ideology attract adherents when its attitude is, "Oh, you don't understand me? Read the frickin' dictionary." Answer: It doesn't.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I suppose asking questions is something to do. But........if you are smart enough to ask the questions, haven't you actually answered them already?
That's the issue: The smarter you are, the more questions you ask. Smart people generally don't take issue with admitting they don't know something and striving to learn it. More uneducated people will either try to fake through what they don't know or just ignore the concepts they don't understand. How many times have you seen someone draw a conclusion from one datum?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:21 pm

I like Bedazzled as well because I like every "Made a Deal with the Devil" picture. Its fun to see how "reasonable" the screw over will be. It just an added bonus that Elizabeth Hurley is in her top form. Very similar, I also like going back in time and screwing things up films. Same idea. None with Elizabeth Hurley that I have noticed. In third place, we have the Final Destination Films which is kinda like Time Travel. I like how what you think is going to happen does not but does lead to what does happen. Again, no Elizabeth Hurley. .................... and there we have Hugh Grant paying for the ugliest transexual on the LA Strip. What deal with the Devil did he lose.............and no Elizabeth Hurley.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:25 pm

JO 753 wrote:Bedazzled iz great!

You may hav notist a 6.0 rating on IMDB. I think its mainly from fanz uv the 1968 version failing to ajust. Its a good exampl uv Sement Hed syndrome.

I saw it at the theater and luvd it so much I rented the orijinal the next day. It wuz boring and low bujet lame. Went back to see the new version the day after.

If you buy a copy, be sure its the special edition DVD bekuz the extraz are great and include an entire wish that got replased by the Prezidential wish bekuz it got a bad reaction with test audiensez. Az far az I know, the blue ray iz only available az the plain edition.
I'll admit that most remakes I've seen were worse than the original. Diabolique comes immediately to mind, as does the WTF Tim Burton? Willy Wonka abomination.

I've heard rumors of a remake of Labyrinth, which infuriated me. What's the point in remaking something that was perfect the first time around? Without Bowie and Jim Henson? Nope. I would accept a sequel (not a remake) with Tilda Swinton playing the heir to the Goblin Kingdom, but only if the music was a thoughtful tribute to Bowie, and the goblins were a thoughtful tribute to Henson. Basically, put me in charge of it...lol.

I'll give Bedazzled a try. I'm sure it's available online somewhere.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Poodle wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:... Jacquie: Language is meant to be able to be simplified. If we can't roughly summarize a theory in a paragraph, but we're not talking about quantum physics, then our theory is needlessly complicated. And we need to lighten up on calling anyone who disagrees with us a bigot, and drawing harsh lines in the sand. Instead of saying, "You're a bigot. {!#%@} off," say, "That language is bigoted, and this is why."

Hmmmm. If language was MEANT to be able to be simplified, it would be simple. And you can't disqualify the very thing which proves your argument wrong to prove your argument - we're ALWAYS talking about quantum physics. I probably agree with the rest. However, Jacquie gets a stern finger wag for abuse of argument. I'm sure she'll be suitably admonished.

Transatlantic tellings-off!! It could be a new hobby.
I think she merely failed to express the language idea properly. When she said "quantum physics," she meant discussing the concept in scientific terms. What? I understood what she meant. :P She would have worded it differently for a formal debate.

Relating it to the "liberal elite," it's unnecessary to always use the longest word you can find for a given concept. When you use graduate school level language in an attempt to communicate with people who never even went to college, you won't get anywhere. People who are uneducated tend to react to that as condescension. Not always, but mostly. As my former guitarist was wont to say to me, "Pretend I know what that word means," every time I used a word which, to me, was everyday vocabulary but, to him, might as well have been a foreign language.

One of the reasons Trump is so successful among uneducated populations is that he speaks in monosyllables, so they can understand him. He overuses very, but never uses decidedly, appreciably, extremely, incredibly, exceedingly, profoundly...and so on. In his vernacular, things are good, bad, sad, but never exceptional, abominable, lamentable. You have to tailor your words to your target audience.

Doctors do this all the time. They don't tell a patient, "You have a pilonidal cyst," they say, "You have an infected ingrown hair." They don't use the word lipoma; they say fatty tumor. (Off topic: If a lipoma is a fatty tumor, what kind of tumor is an Oklahoma?)

Whoah, there. Whoah, whoah, whoah. Your former guitarist? What is it you haven't told us? I'm absolutely sure that Jacquie could hold her own when being ribbed, but her mum had a guitarist? Spill the beans ...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote: That's the issue: The smarter you are, the more questions you ask.
I'll quibble, or give my experience. Rarely are you in circumstances where you can ask anyone else for clarity/directions on the question at hand. What you do is ask...........yourself. Asking questions, a very isolating procedure. Course...paying for school is an exception and as many questions as possible should be asked. not so at work. not so with most mentors. Asking questions is so very human. Having answers, so very god like. ((Having answers = god like = doesn't exist))

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Poodle wrote:Whoah, there. Whoah, whoah, whoah. Your former guitarist? What is it you haven't told us? I'm absolutely sure that Jacquie could hold her own when being ribbed, but her mum had a guitarist? Spill the beans ...
Actually, I had two. :mrgreen: Plus a bassist and a drummer. I've been in bands most of my life...lead singer, rhythm guitarist, keyboardist, and occasional drummer (I'm not fancy, but my beat is solid.).

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:44 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote: That's the issue: The smarter you are, the more questions you ask.
I'll quibble, or give my experience. Rarely are you in circumstances where you can ask anyone else for clarity/directions on the question at hand. What you do is ask...........yourself.
I agree that opportunities are few and far between. It's more likely that you take the time to research the answer to your question rather than ask someone. But you are still asking.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 am

"Catcher in the Rye" is a famous/seminal book on the topic of asking questions. I only remember three things from it.
Its where I first remember seeing "Kilroy was here" being mentioned and I still wonder if JD Salinger was the author of that graffiti, not important either way. Our hero Holden wanted to learn about life and decided going out in public and asking people about the meaning of life was the way to do it. he found out that mostly people didn't think about it or know anything or have any answers "All the farmers could talk about was the weather." What can most people talk about except some irrelevant detail about their jobs??? And third--I didn't like the book. don't think I finished it. Always dissappoints me when I don't like a book...especially ones this prestigious. So, following Kurt Vonnegut: I do wonder "Why, why, why..........."

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:15 am

I didn't care for it either. I was forced to read it in high school.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:32 am

Hooray! My stomach doesn't hurt today!

It's been so long, I was beginning to think stomach pain was normal and how it has always been. Now I remember, IT ISN'T!

Ohhhh, it's wonderful....

I don't know what's changed to make this come about. All the Christmas candy? Does that even make sense? How can that make sense! That can't make sense. I don't think it makes any sense. Cakes and chocolates and puddings and other chocolates and then some more chocolates -- I was expecting to die from insulin shock, not to suddenly experience this amazing sense of well-being again.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:32 am

...maybe it was the figgy pudding....
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:33 am

It's a Festivus miracle!
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Vitamin C, you scurvy dog? Do your teeth wobble and your knees ache?
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:46 am

No and yes.

Do they still make oranges with vitamin C? 'Cause I eat a lot of those every Christmas.
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:01 pm

Just an hour away from 2018 for me. No sake yet – bummer, but I will have a sip for breakfast along with rice-cake in broth. Just enough to warm the spirit of course.

Happy New Year, yall....

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:36 pm

Watched the fireworks over the city from the top of a volcano.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:45 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Watched the fireworks over the city from the top of a volcano.

Yes - a massive display. I had to squint a bit....

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:20 pm

You should probably consult your optometrist for a new prescription.

Lords knows I do! I'm turning long-sighted.

Perfect vision, then short-sighted, then long-sighted.

Why do my eyes change?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:27 am

'Cause your head is growing more and more misshapen.
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:31 am

Gord wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:my grandfather fed his family of eight mostly on wild rabbit he trapped.

Egad, I hope not!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning

He had an orchard of various fruit trees. One of my first memories is sitting in the bow of his apple tree, eating as many apples as I could reach.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:35 am

Gord wrote:'Cause your head is growing more and more misshapen.

Stupid skellington!

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:05 am

Maybe it be the soft matter and not the skellington.......

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:46 am

Nah, I blame the crystalised metal scaffolding.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:30 am

I've had leg pain for months...recently started doing stretches and leg exercises every day , no more pain, getting back more flexibility...keeping it up!
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:43 am

Maybe it was Seth - pulling your leg.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:52 am

no, just stressed legs that need stretching
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:24 am

I'm making hard cider.

I got hold of a few bushels of free apples last week, so I decided to try to make hard cider. First batch came out at about 3% alcohol....freezes and gives me a buzz about the same as beer. aka: not worth the effort. Batch seemed to be active for the first few hours but then died down to very little if any detectable bubbling.

I just made batch Two. I used only crushed apples and apple juice whereas on No1 I used the same approach but used water to crush the apples whereas batch No2 used apple juice. (By crush I mean run quartered and cored apples thru my VitaMix.) I also added a can of tomatoe sauce and some raisins and two pounds of sugar to my second batch. Its bubbling away like crazy. Can't wait to see what this batch tastes like. The first was kinda slightly bitter weak apple juice with very little "hit" at all. I'm thinking batch two will be more like wine with a higher % of alcohol but still with a good apple juice flavor.

third batch next week: I'll add even more sugar as I'm out now. Fun to see/find out what works and doesn't work....I don't think any of this would be fun/worthwhile if the apples weren't for free. But they are......so I'm off an running. ((Just for a complete report...I'm also adding a few cans of Cranberry Sauce as I get them for free as well and they are mostly sugar, so good for the mash. I threw in a few peeled bananas too as again they are free and too many for me to eat....so throw them in too. I've got free rice and beans as well..........have to read up, I think rice is totally doable as a digestible as I saw once rice is used to make beer.........Coors, I think. Doesn't sound "Bavarian" to me..... but its whatever works.

another variable: I'm running the Vita Mix long enough for it to heat the apples/apple juice mixture up to around 110 Degrees. This "must" contribute to the active conversion that is going on right now....as it cools, that will be part of the slowing. I use a 5 gallon paint jug that overflowed with the reaction on Batch One....so this time I only started with about 3-4 gallons giving some nice room for the "foam" that gets produced during initial conversion. When its rather stable, I'll add some more juice to get a full 5 gallon batch.

Next step....fresh beer bottle caps and capper to bottle this stuff. Need to read up on what the shelf life of this stuff is in "not air tight" plactic milk jugs.

I call this FITK or Fun In the Kitchen. Simple minded, but it keeps me off the streets.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:56 am

The rule of thumb HERE, bobbo, is that 1 pound of sugar in 1 gallon of water will give you a 5% alcohol end product. We have the same pound, but an Imperial gallon is 1.2 times bigger than a US gallon - you can do the maths yourself.
Cider is normally made from cider apples. They're high in sugar but also high in acids and tannins (ie they'll turn your face inside out if you try to eat them).
The point - if you're trying to make cider from anything other than cider apples, you have to add tannin (tea is a good source) and play about with the acid balance.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:19 am

Stop it, or you'll go blind.

Return to “The Nexus”