What are you listening to?

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Poodle wrote:Jan van Eyck - it's the Arnolfini Portrait of 1434.

Interestingly, it's no longer referred to as the Arnolfini Marriage Portrait as it's no longer thought that she's pregnant, but instead holding up her dress into a 'full' position as was, apparently, all the rage at the time.

She'll probably be pregnant again in five years time.

Poodle: absolutely right on all matters of history and art.
About the pregnancy, I dunno: five years is a long time in the life of a woman who could easy have died in child birth before the age of 25.

I am thoroughly ashamed, if not humiliated by my gaffe…"17th Century…" by which time the Van Eyck brothers and the Flemish School were, of course, long passed into art and social history.

No one here is likely to have been taken in by such a blatant error ; Skeptics all and given to questioning EVERYTHING!l
But still… carelessness, thoughtlessness, obvious error presented even as supposition, should never pass without correction or apology.

So Poodle, as you have obviously been acquainted with then marvelous pointing, what do you think might beJan's message in the meticulously rendered moment?
Something related,perhaps to the flourishing bourgeoisie's religious hypocrisy… endorsing threats of hell fire and damnation for the sexual expressions of the peasantry and the urban poor, while ignoring such flagrant disregard of the sacraments by the richer pregnant bride?
An acquaintance claims that the clearly (although not necessarily to him OR me) epicene groom, commissioned the painting to announce his conquest (overcoming the bride's terror or eternal punishment for sin). Such boasting is not entirely unknown in Western religious social cultures.
But I don't know… Jan van Eyck q had piquant sense of humor, so isn't it possible that he simply found the couple a bit ridiculous and pretentious, with the airs that then and now accompany newly acquired wealth?
And got some subversive pleasure from making fun of them even as he catered to their desire to preserve their moment on canvas?

NMB
P.S. One thing inevitably leads to another: but the art of music and the representational arts are inextricably entwined.
Like Solomon and his Queen of Sheba.
But that's another story.
NMB

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:20 am

nmblum88 wrote:But I don't know… Jan van Eyck q had piquant sense of humor, so isn't it possible that he simply found the couple a bit ridiculous and pretentious, with the airs that then and now accompany newly acquired wealth?
Van Eyck would have been commissioned to do the portrait, not through choice. The mirror is new technology from the Venetians and displays both the merchant's wealth, knowledge of the sciences and the range of his trade.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:36 am

This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:33 pm

All manner of art is often commissioned, by patrons, by galleries,, museums.. the agents for the wealthy aesthetes, and the merely acquisitive.
But nothing in that precludes either the character, political convictions, bitterness, or the sense of humor, of the artist from making its way into the finished work… i.e. the mischief of Jan Von Eyck.
And the same applies to the non-representational artist as well.

And most famously there IS this (although I seem to remember that this has already been covered here):

I PAINT WHAT I SEE
A Ballad of Artistic Integrity
(By E.B. White)

"What do you paint when you paint on a wall?
Said John D’s grandson, Nelson.
Do you paint just anything at all?
Will there be any doves, or a tree in fall?
Or a hunting scene, like an English ball?

“I paint what I see,” said Rivera.

What are the colors you use when you paint?
Do you use any red in the heart of a saint?
If you do, is it terribly red, or faint?
Do you use any blue? Is it Prussian?

“I paint what I paint,” said Rivera.

Whose is that head that I see in my wall?
Said John D’s grandson Nelson.
Is it anyone’s head whom we know, at all?
If you do, is it terribly red or faint?
A Rensselaer, or a Saltonstall?
Is it Franklin D? Is it Mordaunt Hall?
Or is it the head of a Russian?

“I paint what I think,” said Rivera.

I paint what I paint, I paint what I see,
I paint what I think, said Rivera
And the thing that is dearest in life to me
In a bourgeois hall is Integrity;
However…
I’ll take out a couple of people drinkin’
And put in a picture of Abraham Lincoln;
I could even give you McCormick’s reaper
And still not make my art much cheaper
But the head of Lenin has got to stay!
Or my friends will give the bird today,
The bird, the bird, forever.

It’s not good taste in a man like me,
To question an artist’s integrity
Or mention a practical thing like a fee,
But I know what I like to a large degree,
Tho art I hate to hamper.
For twenty-one thousand conservative bucks
You painted a radical. I say, shucks,
I could never rent the offices-
The capitalistic offices.
For this, as you know, is a public hall.
And people want doves, or a tree in fall,
And tho your art I dislike to hamper,
I owe a little to God and Gramper.

And after all,
It’s my wall…

“We’ll see if it is,” said Rivera."

Rivera of course, removed the mural from the wall in the lobby of 30 Rock….
The version with the heads of Karl Marx AND Lenin was repainted and can be seen in the Galleria of the Belles Artes in Mexico City.
Acidic and funny (as was Rivera) ir also depicts Rockefeller himself standing next to a laboratory slide of his own spirochetes.

NMB

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:46 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:https://youtu.be/ZnFTK-Y95s8

Aha!!
I think I may see the problem…
A bit strident, perhaps too harsh.
Needs the original Latin touch.
Try this (irresistible original version way to the iciest woman's heart …. at least while the mood lasts):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3g8Y-WxbAA

NMB

P.S. Have you tried humor? Maybe you are intimidating her by being much too serious….
You might try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRC16gBAwck

P.P.S. Have you tried schmaltz?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnPMoAb4y8U

NMB

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:05 pm

nmblum88 wrote:... So Poodle, as you have obviously been acquainted with then marvelous pointing, what do you think might beJan's message in the meticulously rendered moment?

... so isn't it possible that he simply found the couple a bit ridiculous and pretentious, with the airs that then and now accompany newly acquired wealth?
And got some subversive pleasure from making fun of them even as he catered to their desire to preserve their moment on canvas?

Now don't fall on the floor, Norma, but I'm going to agree with you. He was doing it for the money but he didn't think too much of Mr. Arnolfini. A few clues ...

1. There are two sets of footwear on the floor. The first is a set of very old and dirt-cheap clogs and the second is a set of better stuff - but they're still clogs.
2. Very expensive chandelier - but only a single candle in it.
3. The window. In the real thing, it's only half-glazed (at the top). Not so great, then, but in the reflection in the mirror, it's not glazed at all.

All in all, I think old Jan had his tongue firmly in his cheek.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:14 am

Poodle wrote: He ( van Eyck) was doing it for the money but he didn't think too much of Mr. Arnolfini. A few clues ...

For the negative endorsement
1. There are two sets of footwear on the floor. The first is a set of very old and dirt-cheap clogs and the second is a set of better stuff - but they're still clogs.
3. The window. In the real thing, it's only half-glazed (at the top). Not so great, then, but in the reflection in the mirror, it's not glazed at all.

For the positive endorsement
1) Her gown is trimmed in ermine and it's length suggests that have a maid to carry her train.
2) The lack of gold or broaches of authority indicates his is a merchant and not nobility,
3) The oranges are symbolic of the reach of his merchant trade to the south,
4) He is giving an oath to her using the wrong hand (possibly wealth as she may be of peasant stock and the two other people at the door are possibly witnesses)
5) The single candle symbolises future communion of marriage in church, as there were no civil weddings back there.

I'm not too sure about the clogs.
:D

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:37 am

Yeah - or any other of a large set of interpretations. She may already have been dead (or not). The dog may mean one of a dozen odd things or it may just be a dog. That ermine is more probably squirrel fur (still expensive but less - you know - proper rich stuff).

I've never been really sure about the degree of symbolism used by early painters, but it certainly provides lots of material for later art historians to disagree about. But human nature hasn't changed that much - I'm sure that even then, viewers would have been less likely to say "Oh, that single candle represents him and the mere stub near it represents his dead wife, an opinion supported by the very generic manner in which she has been painted suggesting she wasn't actually there" than "Jeez! Could they only afford one candle?"

But go on - explain why the half-glazed window is a non-glazed window in the reflection.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:40 pm

Poodle wrote:
nmblum88 wrote:... So Poodle, as you have obviously been acquainted with then marvelous pointing, what do you think might beJan's message in the meticulously rendered moment?

... so isn't it possible that he simply found the couple a bit ridiculous and pretentious, with the airs that then and now accompany newly acquired wealth?

Now don't fall on the floor, Norma, but I'm going to agree with you. He was doing it for the money but he didn't think too much of Mr. Arnolfini. A few clues ...

All in all, I think old Jan had his tongue firmly in his cheek.

Yes. "épater les bourgeois ! "

And Poodle: If I lived my life by consensus, I would certain have fallen to the floor in a paroxysm of happiness at the very thought of your very observant and knowledgeable agreement . .
As it is I am basking in the glow, but remain upright in posture if not in rectitude.
Because if I took seriously what I read here, about myself as well as about Jan Von Eyck, American politics, science, art, ecology, history in general, and the Holocaust specifically….. well. let's put it this way: the Norma who has survived and enjoyed, even as she walked to the musical accompaniment in her own head, would have long gone to dust.
Perhaps a more amenable dame would have taken her place….. but she certainly wouldn't have been friends with Eva Cassidy.
Or enjoyed the camaraderie and praise of my siblings and my parents.
Or children and their mates.

NMB

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:37 am

Poodle wrote: go on - explain why the half-glazed window is a non-glazed window in the reflection.

The mirror is Venetian technology. You are looking at Venetian blinds.

Sheet glass glazing using lead is from the early 17th Century. Prior to that it was only cylinder glass after the 15th century, which is what you see in Tudor houses.
cylinder glass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:14 am

Those shoes were indoors wear, like slippers. So it might symbolise the comfort of a family home.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:06 am

Or poor housekeeping. :-P

(And they were the dog's.)

Lard, save me from your followers.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:28 am

Chew toys.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:50 am

:shock: No. Those were her heels. And that's why he wears that monster of a hat. And her voluminous dress is hiding that she's standing in a hole. He was short! :-P

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:52 am

They've invited their swinger friends over for a foursome. They're going to put oranges and beads in places they don't belong. One candle for dim lighting, because the fat chick in the mirror, and Jamiroquai is looking sideways saying, you didn't say she was that fat.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:51 am

RESULT!!!!!

At long last, there's a meaningful discussion on art in this den of Philistines.

Well - a discussion, at least.

@Matthew ... Glazing, blind, whatever ... it's there in the window but not in the reflection.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:25 pm

See, bad housekeeping. It wasn't cleaned properly - they couldn't afford a maid.

After buying that mirror.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:16 pm

Poodle wrote:RESULT!!!!!

At long last, there's a meaningful discussion on art in this den of Philistines.

Well - a discussion, at least.

"In the room, the women come and go/talking of Michelangelo."

(T.S. Eliot)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:37 am

Poodle wrote:@Matthew ... Glazing, blind, whatever ... it's there in the window but not in the reflection.
OK. I am now starting to understand your point. I was looking for glazing, which I knew didn't exist yet, but you mean 15th Century Venetian crown glass discs which I can now see are missing, in the relection.

My apologies to you. I was wrong. :D

Arnolfini Window 1.jpg
Arnolfini Window 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:54 am

Poodle wrote:RESULT!!!!! At long last, there's a meaningful discussion on art in this den of Philistines.
I'd like to start a thread on famous art forgeries and detail how each one was debunked. It is really really interesting. A "woo" fan faking a document rarely expects to make money. A professional art forger fakes for a very large profit and does better deception work.
Fake art.jpg

To get rid of the children on Sundays, my parents sent us to a elderly French lady, who taught art history. After sticking seashells onto glass jars covered in plaster and general painting, she would make us watch slides of famous paintings and sculptures and we had to identify the name, art- period and medium, by rote memory. It was a bit unusual but it really paid off in the long run. It was this lady who suggested I copy Persian miniatures, which I did. She convinced my parent to buy some gold leaf. I will load up some photos of my work. Oddly, it was this exercise that made me volunteer to go on a dig in Iran in 1979 as junior anthropologist....but I never made it there because of the revolution.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:03 am

:hmm: I didn't see this one in the Mona Lisa collection.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:06 pm

Her voice is so pure.

http://youtu.be/0Yg9vE-VQaA

"Don't Take Your Love From Me" Joni James

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:57 pm

The Armstrong and Getty show. I'm not listening to this particular clip, but rather their shows' podcasts. This is just a clip of them in an earthquake simulator, from a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5TDDjBkADs
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:19 am

Major Malfunction wrote:Her voice is so pure.

http://youtu.be/0Yg9vE-VQaA

"Don't Take Your Love From Me" Joni James

Not so pure, perhaps, but memorable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy8V0CinHEg

(Besides it's not the medium, it's the message.)

NMB

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:58 pm

I knew the Norma juice would come through. Now, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! :)

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:57 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:I knew the Norma juice would come through. Now, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! :)

There is no end of sounds to melt the heart by.
Listen!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluzRhnr-4Q

NMB

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:37 pm

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:40 pm

Sting. Doing some Mediaeval stuff, and storytelling between.

Songs from the Labyrinth.

http://youtu.be/Z3VLxepEBfg

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:12 pm

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:52 am

Holy {!#%@} that was some mean guitar.
When I get together with my oldest brother every 2 or 3 months we like to play the other one new music to see who "discovered" the best song or band for bragging rights. I think I got him beat next month.
Thanks for that, bro!
trump is Putin's bitch

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:36 am

If you play guitar, you gotta play for your soul. That's the deal.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:00 am

Major Malfunction wrote:If you play guitar, you gotta play for your soul. That's the deal.

I watched a half hour, English language video on "how to set up and improve your Fender Stratocaster". It was brilliant and I followed every step and it worked beautifully. The video was actually from guitar shop in New Dehli, in India! Rock on Bollywood!

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:48 pm

Take a load off Annie.

https://youtu.be/HmRDM7GyJXE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:59 pm

One more shot. One more roll. One more hit. One more job. And we quit it. One more for the road.

https://youtu.be/HQZBaJAngH8

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:17 am

Aztexan wrote:Holy {!#%@} that was some mean guitar.
When I get together with my oldest brother every 2 or 3 months we like to play the other one new music to see who "discovered" the best song or band for bragging rights. I think I got him beat next month.
Thanks for that, bro!

Let us know how it goes. ;)

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:42 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Thanks for that, bro!

Next month's visit may be postponed, well, because, and I'm not really proud of this, and I love them, mind you, I really do, and we do have Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up and things will be like they always were, you know, but something happened, it could have been prevented, but there's a lot of bad blood here in the States, what with what's going on here, politically, you know, and um, well we got to talking a couple of weeks ago, and once again, we love each other and will always be there when needed but, this topic came up, about this certain person who is running for president of these United States, and if you've been following the news, I'm sure you've heard of this one guy, and you know, I didn't bring up this specific topic, I have to say that, but um, after some discussion, I just had to ask and well, after some of the things they said
I told both my older brothers to {!#%@} off because they're voting for trump.
trump is Putin's bitch

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:52 am

https://youtu.be/0uLI6BnVh6w
I heard this one on the radio at work and I like it. It's catchy.
trump is Putin's bitch

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Aztexan wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:
Thanks for that, bro!

Next month's visit may be postponed, well, because, and I'm not really proud of this, and I love them, mind you, I really do, and we do have Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up and things will be like they always were, you know, but something happened, it could have been prevented, but there's a lot of bad blood here in the States, what with what's going on here, politically, you know, and um, well we got to talking a couple of weeks ago, and once again, we love each other and will always be there when needed but, this topic came up, about this certain person who is running for president of these United States, and if you've been following the news, I'm sure you've heard of this one guy, and you know, I didn't bring up this specific topic, I have to say that, but um, after some discussion, I just had to ask and well, after some of the things they said
I told both my older brothers to {!#%@} off because they're voting for trump.

I came for the music, but I've been Trumped, so could you, Aztexan, take a few minutes to give me your thoughts on why so many Americans consistently vote against their own self-interests?

An interesting phenomenon, which usually occurs.... for instance in England and France... in times of dire stress, economic upheaval, social breakdown... the working classes uncharacteristically voting for Conservatives.
But in this case, it does seem unimaginable that anyone with a Mexican surname, would not have some righteous anger against a candidate for President of the United States who would single him out for not only mass deportations but for further exclusion based on national identity.
Of course there is the not uncommon "join the oppressor" syndrome that often occurs in human crises, that of actually becoming even more restrictive and even murderous to prove one's difference from one's fellow despised.
What makes, do you think, your social and political attitudes so in conflict with those of your siblings?
Money? Education? Differences in employment? Marriage?
Of course, yours is no the only examples of such misalliance: the very idea of people who are struggling to stay afloat in difficult economic times thinking that anyone with the Trump mentality can help them, much less save them, is beyond preposterous,
NMB
P.S. Obviously you share with your brothers the warm bond of liking the same kinds of music.....which means both cultural similarities and generational attitudes.
Although what binds us doesn't keep us from falling apart,
NMB

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:06 pm

Hi, Norma
I'll tell you why my two older brothers are voting for that idiot: they are both self-righteous, racist christians. In other words, your typical trump supporter. My oldest brother actually thinks gay marriage is still the most important issue our nation faces and my other brother hates it when he's at work and sees a black guy standing on the corner. He says, why am I busting my ass while he's just standing there doing nothing. I told him, maybe he works nights. Maybe he's waiting for the bus to take him to see his mom in the hospital. Did you ask him why he's standing there or do you assume he's up to no good. But that's it. Those are their biggest reasons to support him. (I've said it over and over, trump supporters aren't the sharpest light bulbs in the picnic basket)
They always hated that our parents religious beliefs didn't take with me, and that I not only questioned it, but ridiculed it, even at an early age and they still to this day, after at least 35 years of this, they still think I'm going through a phase. They still ask me to pray for every little thing even though I always ask who they're praying to. They expect me to compromise my principles just to avoid a religious discussion or so they won't be offended. Yes, those same people who think political correctness has gone too far and every group should stop being offended when they are insulted.
We have spoken to each other since then but they were both upset that I wasn't returning their calls for a few days. I do love them, but they wasn't raised right. I did ask them to attend a trump rally and see if they are welcome there. They both felt they would be. I told them those other idiots would assume the worst about them but they didn't see that happening. They think they would be accepted.
trump is Putin's bitch

Return to “The Nexus”