What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

A skeptical look at medical practices
kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby kennyc » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:22 pm

some similar 'wrongnesses' with psychiatry and psychology I think.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Blue_Wode

Postby Blue_Wode » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:59 am

Looks like chiropractors' day of reckoning may not be too far off:

"Humpty Dumpty chiropractic" by the Editor of the Journal of Clinical Chiropractic
http://www.fnks.org/fnks/sites/default/ ... ractic.pdf

...the time is fast approaching when chiropractic will have to decide whether it is
informed by 19th century metaphysics or by 21st century science. If it chooses wrongly, then it may not be possible for all the king’s horses and all the king’s men to effect a repair.

JJM
Veteran Poster

Postby JJM » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Here is a great article for those who think chiros learn basic sciences http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpac ... p?id=55073 The author thinks enzyme-digestion is equivalent to genetic modification!

Wojo

Postby Wojo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Perhaps I have been extremely lucky. I found the BEST Chiropractor in OH. Unfortunately, I had to go through about five of the worst before finding Dr. Mike. I was in so much pain for about six months after I had a head on collision with my little car. All I wanted was for my head to feel like it was on a neck. Anyone having this pain knows exactly what I mean. I couldn't turn right or left, look up or down without some nasty pain. I finally gave in to the people I worked with and went to see Dr. Mike. To make a long story short, I left there in NO Pain! I continued to turn my body to look right or left because for the first time in months I was pain free and wanted to keep it that way. When I finally did start to move my head it was heaven. ~~again anyone experiencing this pain knows what I mean. So to sum up what is wrong with chiropractors.......Nothing If you get a good one, Everything if you do not.

JJM
Veteran Poster

Postby JJM » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Wojo wrote:... So to sum up what is wrong with chiropractors.......Nothing If you get a good one, Everything if you do not.
Well, this has been a long thread and you probably missed all that is really wrong with chiros. The conclusions I have drawn are based on studies, often scientific research. You offer an anecdote, science only considers them useful for beginning an appropriate study- not forming conclusions such as yours.

Your particular case may be instructive. If your chiro twisted your neck, he probably put you at risk (a very small, but real, risk) of having a stroke that could paralyze or kill you (the evidence is cited all over the preceding pages). You must ask yourself if you were prepared to die for relief from a neck ache. Also, you don't know, because yours is an anecdote, whether finding the right masseuse would have been as effective- with less risk of a stroke. Moreover, you don't know if the problem was on the verge of disappearing on its own.

Only controlled experiments can provide clues, and such experiments routinely show that chiro is no better for anything than medical procedures (except backache, where chiro might be as good). And for everything else (including neck aches) chiro is inferior (to the point of being useless) compared to safer methods.

Wojo

Postby Wojo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:37 pm

I see your point. I don't know who performed the controlled experiments of which you speak and quite frankly, I don't see how controlled experiments can even be made with this regard as pain is subjective. I do know on my limited scale, that I received immediate relief from pain from this one Chiro. Relief that four MD's and three other Chiros could not give me. I'm not saying a Chiropractor can cure all, just as I would not say a Gastroenterologist can cure all. However, from my experiences and those of family and friends, in their field, they "can be" not only safer, but even better than an MD. Additionally, you are correct in that I did not read all that has been written here about chiros. I am a Newbie, as you may already know, and I can imagine your frustration with such people who come in half way through a conversation. For this I apologize. Thank you JJM for the conversation. I look forward to catching up!

JJM
Veteran Poster

Postby JJM » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Wojo wrote:... I do know on my limited scale, that I received immediate relief from pain from this one Chiro. Relief that four MD's and three other Chiros could not give me. ...
You might have gotten the same from a masseur; who costs less and is less likely to kill you. The bottom line is that most chiros are masseurs with delusions of grandeur. Acccording to their own survey, 90% of them still believe in the fictitious "chiropractic subluxations" and, in my experience, many of the remaining 10% sort-of believe, or simply use a different term.

As for immediate relief, there are anecdotes about immediate relief from no treatment at all. One fellow has a story about long-term ringing in his ears (tinnitus) and finally going to a doctor. The doctor casually suggested waiting a little longer before treatment, and that it might be a brain tumor. Driving home, the guy realized the ringing was gone, and it has not returned in years.

You can get reliable information on chiro at:

http://www.ebm-first.com

http://www.skepdic.com/chiro.html

http://www.quackwatch.org and its http://www.chirobase.org subsidiary

Note that chiros really loathe quackwatch/chirobase. However, none of them can find anything significant that is incorrect at that site.
Last edited by JJM on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjh01
Poster

Postby rjh01 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:38 am

JJM wrote:<snip>
You can get reliable information on chiro at:
<snip> and its http://www.chirobase.com subsidiary

Note that chiros really loathe quackwatch/chirobase. However, none of them can find anything significant that is incorrect at that site.

NB. The last site is for sale. It is no longer a skeptical site and contains only ads.

Edit. This site is the correct site http://www.chirobase.org/

JJM
Veteran Poster

Postby JJM » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:46 pm

rjh01 wrote:NB. The last site is for sale. It is no longer a skeptical site and contains only ads.

Edit. This site is the correct site http://www.chirobase.org/
Thanks, I corrected my post.

Blue_Wode

Postby Blue_Wode » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Here’s an interesting development.

A call has been made for the closure of the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) Chiropractic Paediatric clinic for “teaching inappropriate and potentially dangerous techniques that target pregnant women, babies, infants and children”.

The following 20-page report has been submitted to the Australian Federal Health Minister:
http://www.skeptics.com.au/wordpress/wp ... review.pdf

It includes expert opinion from high profile and well-regarded Professors of Medicine relating to supposed efficacy of chiropractic; identifies the claims made by lecturers and graduates from RMIT and other chiropractic teaching institutions; identifies the relevant codes of conduct that are breached by graduates; identifies research relating to spinal manipulation on a wide range of health conditions; refers to the General Chiropractic Council (UK) on comments on ‘subluxations’ and evidence-based practices; refers to the HCCC anti-vaccination campaign, which is supported by over 120 chiropractors; refers to a recent US-based court case which limits chiropractic diagnoses to biomechanical conditions of the spine and musculoskeletal system; and recommends that the competency and education standards for chiropractors be reviewed.

It's well worth a read.

Blue_Wode

Postby Blue_Wode » Fri May 13, 2011 11:30 am

British Chiropractic Association president caught out?
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... ost7179223

Blue_Wode

Postby Blue_Wode » Mon May 23, 2011 8:37 am

John Reggar, a skeptical Australian chiropractor, has just had the following article published:

'Chiropractic at the crossroads or are we just going around in circles?' has just been published:
http://chiromt.com/content/19/1/11/abstract

Provisional PDF here:
http://chiromt.com/content/pdf/2045-709X-19-11.pdf

It's well worth a read as its content seems to sum up the title of this thread.

zorba
Poster

Postby zorba » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:44 am

What's wrong with them? It will become immediately obvious when one opens his mouth to try to explain his theory of how it works.
In a study which was recently completed at the University of Chicago, scientists concluded that 54% of all statistics are just made up.

Teleosaurus

Postby Teleosaurus » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:17 pm

Wojo wrote:I see your point. I don't know who performed the controlled experiments of which you speak and quite frankly, I don't see how controlled experiments can even be made with this regard as pain is subjective. I do know on my limited scale, that I received immediate relief from pain from this one Chiro. Relief that four MD's and three other Chiros could not give me. I'm not saying a Chiropractor can cure all, just as I would not say a Gastroenterologist can cure all. However, from my experiences and those of family and friends, in their field, they "can be" not only safer, but even better than an MD. Additionally, you are correct in that I did not read all that has been written here about chiros. I am a Newbie, as you may already know, and I can imagine your frustration with such people who come in half way through a conversation. For this I apologize. Thank you JJM for the conversation. I look forward to catching up!

So your success rate on chiros is one out of four? Just FYI, that wouldn't add up to any statistical proof that they do anything. Even placebos get higher success rates than that. A more likely explanation is that you did a lot of looking around and after eight tries, the problem finally started to go away on its own.

I used to run a group of about 500 chiropractors. The person above who said the key is to just ask them to explain their "science" is right. There is no science behind chiropractic and the vast majority of them aren't even interested in science as individuals. They are far more likely to latch on to the latest fad treatment without any evidence that it works. Going to a meeting of chiropractors invariably meant talking about a whole bunch of new quack treatments that sounded good but were dubious, to say the least.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:03 pm

I have a doctor friend, who is now a good skeptic. He had a time when he did a cross over course to become a qualified chiropractor. He practised as both doctor and chiropractor for some time till he made a little discovery. He found that every chiropractic manipulation worked equally well for every patient who demanded it. He soon came to the conclusion that chiropracty was pure placebo.

My friend now practises medicine. Not quackery.

Blue_Wode

Postby Blue_Wode » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Here are a couple of damning articles on chiropractic which have just been published:

Subluxation Theory: A Belief System That Continues to Define the Practice of Chiropractic
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... ropractic/

Chiropractic: An Indefensible Profession
http://www.skepticalhealth.com/2012/01/ ... rofession/

The first one is by a retired chiropractor, and the second is by an MD. Both are essential reading.

Hocus123

Postby Hocus123 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:59 pm

I only read the first few pages of this thread. I think we should have started by defining more clearly what we are skeptical about, so that there didn't have to be pages of confusion.

SMT (spinal manipulative therapy) has been done for thousands of years. It has merit concerning back issues perhaps. And, chiropractors are the ones that do SMT the most, and are the most trained in it, although other professions do it as well.

But, SMT isn't in dispute here. So, for the people who say they went to a chiropractor and felt better, sure, fine. Maybe you did. Maybe it is all in your head. Probably some of each.

But, on the issue of what's wrong with chiropractors, I think the focus is:

--Subluxation
--The origins, including palmers vitalism, and chi or Qi or ki type energy or "inate intelligence" according to him, that runs through the body.
--Palmer originally basing his ideas on the "inspiration" from a dead dr (Atkinson) who appears to be the one who gave him this special knowledge. (Palmer frequented the Mississipi Spiritualist Camp and lived within walking distance, and seances were common there.)
--Palmers later story about Lillaird, who he cured of (partial) deafness, a story which doesn't match Lilliards daughter. But either way, this reminds me of how televangelists "cure" (partially) deaf people or people who are (partially) blind. Palmer later focused on this story and spoke less and less of The dead Dr's inspiration.
--Palmer was doing animal magnetism for decades before coming up with chiropractic therapy. (Waving your hands over people and shaking them as if you are pulling energy off the person and shaking it off your hands).

So, yes, you can go to a chiropractor and feel better.
You can also wear a magnet and feel better.
You can do almost anything and feel better if you BELIEVE it works.
Feelings are subjective and PLACEBOS work.
And SMT works on backs. Do not confuse SMT (a part of chiropractic therapy) with chiropractic therapy as a whole!!! This causes confusion.

The theory, philosophy, mysticism, vitalism, and fraudulent ORIGENS of chiropractic are as outlined above.

Get rid of them, and we are left with SMT, which is primarily what chiropractors do anyway.

skepticdoc
Poster

Postby skepticdoc » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:07 pm

Brief update, official paper from the AHA:

http://www.physiciansweekly.com/wp-cont ... ut-pdf.pdf

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:39 am

does that have anything to do with chiropractors ? is there a shorter version ? :burn:
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:06 am

Yes: http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/e ... 0000000016

Purpose — Cervical artery dissections (CDs) are among the most common causes of stroke in young and middle-aged adults. The aim of this scientific statement is to review the current state of evidence on the diagnosis and management of CDs and their statistical association with cervical manipulative therapy (CMT)....

Results — ...Although the role of trivial trauma is debatable, mechanical forces can lead to intimal injuries of the vertebral arteries and internal carotid arteries and result in CD....

Conclusions — ...Although current biomechanical evidence is insufficient to establish the claim that CMT causes CD, clinical reports suggest that mechanical forces play a role in a considerable number of CDs and most population controlled studies have found an association between CMT and VAD stroke in young patients. Although the incidence of CMT-associated CD in patients who have previously received CMT is not well established, and probably low, practitioners should strongly consider the possibility of CD as a presenting symptom, and patients should be informed of the statistical association between CD and CMT prior to undergoing manipulation of the cervical spine.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

PennyDotson
Poster

Postby PennyDotson » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:58 pm

One almost broke me. He was the kind that thought he could cure the flu and cancer with adjustment. They seem to get off on the pushing and the pulling. Find a real massage therapist instead. Oof...

Return to “Healthcare”