What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

A skeptical look at medical practices
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:27 pm

the honorable opposition wrote:
The crippling effects of bias and editorial policy of certain medical journals just discussed have ramifications in what is actually stated in papers and subsequently in the lay press. One study published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), for instance, stated a conclusion that was far beyond anything supported by the data. Specifically, the study discouraged the routine referral of patients to chiropractic: "Given the limited benefits and high costs, it seems unwise to refer patients with low back pain for chiropractic or McKenzie therapy." [27] As egregiously out-of-bounds as a statement such as this is for a scientific journal, the lay press (to which the NEJM reportedly controls half of what health news we hear) only made matters worse. Such scare headlines as "Study Targets Worth of Chiropractic" [36] and "Chiropractic Care Blasted in Two Studies" [37 ]only poisoned the atmosphere, inhibiting further research efforts and inducing third party payors to deny reimbursements for chiropractic services in which the outcomes have yet to be definitively disproved. News releases such as these need to be actively discouraged, and the public needs to be further enlightened as to the research and potential of multiple modes of alternative therapy—not just chiropractic.

Ah, I see, you are a woo proponent. Should have known.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:12 pm

actually it is interesting to see what both sides have to say about each other

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Cherkin

The third example of a sweeping and damaging generalization which has dubious grounds for support appears in the Cherkin study published in the New England Journal of Medicine in October 1998.11 I've discussed this study before,12,13 and it's been extensively critiqued elsewhere.14 It will be taken up once again in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics (JMPT9). The most outrageous statement made in the Cherkin study is: "given the limited benefits and high costs, it seems unwise to refer patients with low back pain for chiropractic or McKenzie therapy." Despite the fact that Bogduk et al. cite this article extensively,2 a panel in Great Britain designed to update the guidelines recently issued in that country5 concluded that "the Cherkin study neither adds nor detracts from the evidence base regarding appropriate interventions for low back-pain."15

i love it when this cherkin article is quoted as "evidence" .

it is really one of the most rebutted articles i have seen. refuted by medicine and chiropractic

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:17 pm

the honorable opposition wrote:actually it is interesting to see what both sides have to say about each other

Yeah, I'm doing the "German White Paper" for my website right now. Nice to hear the German version of start of WW2 for a change.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:36 pm

"So, a "full blown subluxation" can occur spontaneously after months or years? Really? My BS meter is pegging out here."

no, what is being said is that the full extent of the injury is not always seen initially and it can take time for all the effects of the injury to develop to a point to where they become symptomatic to the patient

for an example of how stupid people can get - lets look at a situation that happened to a friend of mine

he was driving and hit another car at about 10 mph - no seatbelt because of renal ports, hits the windshield with his head (he was 70+ yrs old).

emt's show up and decide that since he is still coherent they can give him off to the policeman at the seen to drive him to target where his wife is shopping

he gets there and the police asks his wife if he always so "out of it". she gets him into her car and takes him to the hospital ambullatory center.

to recap - old man, renal disease, head trauma, incoherent - they make him wait in the waiting room for over an hour before they take him in.

he waits another 2 hours until they decide to do x-rays on his neck, they see nothing, they wait as he continually degrades to do a ct scan. they tell me now that he has a small non-displaced fracture in his neck, i ask to see the films and he has a 8mm displacement of the odontoid process posteriorly - can you say chris reeves?

he gets sent to the hospital where he now waits for 6 weeks to get spinal surgery and eventually receives it after he has been in a coma for 3 weeks

needless to say he never comes out of the coma and he was taken off the respirator and allowed to expire

my point here is that there are boneheads in all professions, should be be anti emergency care, emt's, and spinal surgeons because they all dropped the ball and contributed to the death of a man who had a "minor" car accident and no real injury on first (and second) evaluation

you may or may not have significant injuries from minor car accidents based on a multitude of factors related to the accident and the state of the injured person prior to the injury - blanket statements don't work

you really need to bone up on this subject before spouting off

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:37 pm

Yeah, I'm doing the "German White Paper" for my website right now. Nice to hear the German version of start of WW2 for a change.

to quote animal house "drunk, ignorant and stupid is no way to go through life"

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:43 pm

the honorable opposition wrote:you really need to bone up on this subject before spouting off

What, my fellow spouter, does your example have to do with chiroquacktic practice?

We were, as part of my job, required to keep up on the "state of the debate" on medical practice, BTW. You have no idea what I've read on the topic.

JJM
Veteran Poster

Postby JJM » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:02 pm

JJM wrote:
JJM wrote:
the honorable opposition wrote:... in combination with existing US studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals, ...
Why don't you point us to the high quality studies that compare chiropractic treatment for neck pain vs. safer treatments? You have just linked to a puff-piece that was commissioned to make chiro look good. I will see what is in that document. ...
I am still waiting for the quality research supporting chiro in neck treatment. I found this that reviews such studies and finds them too be too poor quality to recommend neck snaps: http://www.bestbets.org/bets/bet.php?id=195
Comment(s): Virtually all of these studies are flawed and the numbers tiny. In particular there are no powerful studies comparing best conventional treatment with best alternative treatments. ...

Clinical Bottom Line: Chiropractic therapy is associated with improvement in neck symptoms but there is no evidence to show whether this improvement is greater or worse than that obtained with conventional treatment.
Bump- Where is the quality data for the efficacy of neck snaps?
ETA:
the honorable opposition wrote:http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/124/6/1067 delayed onset pain after trauma has been widely described in the literature ...
Where is your data that chiropracty can identify and safely treat those conditions?

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:52 pm

Let the consumer decide. People spend huge amounts of money on self-destructive things of all types, and we don't go around banning them all. Chiropracty isn't anywhere near the top of that list.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:57 pm

landrew wrote:Let the consumer decide. People spend huge amounts of money on self-destructive things of all types, and we don't go around banning them all. Chiropracty isn't anywhere near the top of that list.

Yeah, and when they take their kids to a chiro instead of doctor?

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:02 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
landrew wrote:Let the consumer decide. People spend huge amounts of money on self-destructive things of all types, and we don't go around banning them all. Chiropracty isn't anywhere near the top of that list.

The either find out that the chiro fixed something the doctors knew nothing about, or they get no benefit from the chiro and go back to the doctors.

That's the way I think it should be. Freedom of choice.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:22 pm

landrew wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

The either find out that the chiro fixed something the doctors knew nothing about, or they get no benefit from the chiro and go back to the doctors.

And if they take the kid to a chiro and he tells them he'll fix the kid up and the kid dies? Documented cases. Some chiros know their practice is limited, and they say so. Others tell you they can cure anything. Those are the murderers.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:35 pm

We were, as part of my job, required to keep up on the "state of the debate" on medical practice, BTW. You have no idea what I've read on the topic.

as you have no idea of what i have read - did you keep up on the state of the debate on chiropractic practice? doesn't appear so

and you missed the point as to what i was saying

also it sounds like you were probably fired if you had this type of bias towards a particular field even when it is a covered benefit that the patient payed for

also it sounds suspect that you left a good job because of philosophical reasons - that is what i consider bs

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:46 pm

as you have no idea of what i have read - did you keep up on the state of the debate on chiropractic practice? doesn't appear so

and you missed the point as to what i was saying

also it sounds like you were probably fired if you had this type of bias towards a particular field even when it is a covered benefit that the patient payed for

also it sounds suspect that you left a good job because of philosophical reasons - that is what i consider bs

You're welcome to any wild ass guesses you wish to put out.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
landrew wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

And if they take the kid to a chiro and he tells them he'll fix the kid up and the kid dies? Documented cases. Some chiros know their practice is limited, and they say so. Others tell you they can cure anything. Those are the murderers.

The doctors have a much bigger arsenal to kill people with. But when somebody dies in their care, they have a longer list of things to blame it on.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:22 pm

landrew wrote:The doctors have a much bigger arsenal to kill people with. But when somebody dies in their care, they have a longer list of things to blame it on.

You seriously don't see any difference between the two? One guy says he'll cure your cancer by tweaking your vertebrae and you consider that on a par with 3D conformal radiation therapy that has been proven to work?

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
landrew wrote:The doctors have a much bigger arsenal to kill people with. But when somebody dies in their care, they have a longer list of things to blame it on.

You seriously don't see any difference between the two? One guy says he'll cure your cancer by tweaking your vertebrae and you consider that on a par with 3D conformal radiation therapy that has been proven to work?

I see a big difference between the two, but outlawing one to please the other isn't exactly in the best interests of everyone involved. A chiropractor who commits fraud is just as guilty of a crime as a medical doctor who commits fraud. Outlawing one profession or the other won't cure the problem.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:32 pm

so which real chiropractic organization goes around saying that they can cure cancer?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:36 pm

landrew wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

I see a big difference between the two, but outlawing one to please the other isn't exactly in the best interests of everyone involved. A chiropractor who commits fraud is just as guilty of a crime as a medical doctor who commits fraud. Outlawing one profession or the other won't cure the problem.

You talk like the chiro and the real doctors are the only two parties involved. That's typical.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:37 pm

so which real chiropractic organization goes around saying that they can cure cancer?

The Chiropractors in Lafayette Indiana have made that claim, for a fact. Two of them told me they could do it.

JJM
Veteran Poster

Postby JJM » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:03 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
the honorable opposition wrote:so which real chiropractic organization goes around saying that they can cure cancer?

The Chiropractors in Lafayette Indiana have made that claim, for a fact. Two of them told me they could do it.
Gawd, you have committed the "No True Scotsman" fallacy, only substitute chiro for Scot. In business, it is called plausible deniability. Mr. Gefaller will now return to tell you That is not "true chiropractic" and he'll be right; from a certain point of view.

The only commonality in chiro is the opposition to criticism. From a major survey they did of themselves (which I have cited, above and is not easy to get) they vary all over in philosophies. In addition, they employ more than 100 unproven treatment methods. You say that's not enough, you want more? Okay, they have many methods of detecting subluxations including mere palpation, on up to x-rays. (This despite a simple experiment proving they cannot detect subs on x-rays. In the 1960s, some doctors took a set of unlabeled x-rays to chiro schools and asked the resident "radiologists" to identify the subs, and they could not even come close to agreeing.) As a practical matter, when something doesn't exist, it doesn't matter how you detect it.

Twenty percent of chiros still think that every problem derives from a subluxation which they can manipulate. Others have added herbs and acupuncture and other sham treatments. You say that's not enough? Others try to restrict their practice to rational, physical therapy. The problem with playing PT is they have to educate themselves on it and so one never knows who got it right. A tiny number know that subluxations and Innate Intelligence do not exist (even when re-named).

So, when you point out the abject asininity of chiro claims, there are others who can dispute you. One wonders if they ever directly dispute each other. I reckon not. I have heard from chiros who will adjust your back for tennis elbow, and others who will play PT and try to treat your (gasp) elbow. One chiro I met says he has never met a chiro with a substandard practice. How can this be, we meet them all the time just walking around?!

ETA: You can see the variety in chiro from the comfort of your cpu chair. They proudly put promotional videos on YouTube. Be warned that watching a chiro violently straining to give his customer a stroke is hard to watch. However, there is a great video where the customer stands with her back to a grid on the wall. The chiro evaluates her by marking the grid and showing that her left hip, shoulder and jaw are lower than the right-hand counter parts, and she is 5'4". Then, after brushing his hands down from her forehead across her cheeks, she goes back to the grid and is straight and is 2" taller! Of course, no true chiro ...

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:54 pm

then it must be true with those kind of facts to back you up, my apologies

and since JJM is such an expert on the field from watching youtube and reading skeptic websites - i guess i should bow to him also

i think the best comment so far is that the public will vote with their pocketbook and continue whatever course of treatment that they see benefits them the most regardless of the ranting and raving here

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:04 pm

then it must be true with those kind of facts to back you up, my apologies

and since JJM is such an expert on the field from watching youtube and reading skeptic websites - i guess i should bow to him also

i think the best comment so far is that the public will vote with their pocketbook and continue whatever course of treatment that they see benefits them the most regardless of the ranting and raving here

As the "public" has swallowed religion all these years I will doubt that the "public" knows their arse from a hole in the ground.

Blue_Wode

Postby Blue_Wode » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:23 pm

the honorable opposition wrote:i think the best comment so far is that the public will vote with their pocketbook and continue whatever course of treatment that they see benefits them the most regardless of the ranting and raving here

I think that's one of the saddest comments so far when you consider that the general public isn't well versed in science and critical thinking. It's something that snakeoil salesmen are only too aware of and have no hesitation in using to prey on unwitting customers.

For a complete understanding of the problem, you can do no better than taking a slow read through the following article by the late Barry Beyerstein. It includes a perceptive and understanding look at the low level of scientific literacy among the public at large, the increase in anti-intellectualism and antiscientific attitudes riding on the coattails of New Age mysticism, vigorous marketing of extravagant claims by the "alternative" medical community, inadequate media scrutiny and attacking critics, increasing social malaise and mistrust of traditional authority figures (the anti-doctor backlash), the will to believe, judgmental shortcomings, self-serving biases and demand characteristics, spontaneous remission, and how some allegedly cured symptoms were probably psychosomatic to begin with:
http://sram.org/0302/bias.html

In other words, it describes many of the unrecognised problems associated with the chiropractic industry which allow it to continue to flourish unchecked.

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:51 pm

As the "public" has swallowed religion all these years I will doubt that the "public" knows their arse from a hole in the ground.

come now you talk about religion like it is a bad thing

i saw the dead sea scrolls @ the royal ontario museum and it was very interesting on how an idea changed the lives of millions

i get a kick out of how you guys keep ragging on religion, sure there are problems in specific areas where people fall short of what they are supposed to live up to but overall i don't see a problem with things like the 10 commandments, faith, hope, salvation....

how can you prove or disprove the existance of a higher power? it is simply a matter of faith

read about Saint Paul - it's interesting

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:53 pm

i think that the problems with chiropractic have been well documented as well as the benefits

you guys are always "glass half empty " people

JJm seems to just be angry all the time - tough life there

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:08 pm

the honorable opposition wrote:i think that the problems with chiropractic have been well documented as well as the benefits

you guys are always "glass half empty " people

JJm seems to just be angry all the time - tough life there

"benefits" being the same as a nice massage.

JJM
Veteran Poster

Postby JJM » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:37 pm

come now you talk about religion like it is a bad thing ...
It is, watch this video for an example. http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009 ... debate.php

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:56 pm

the honorable opposition wrote:come now you talk about religion like it is a bad thing ...

I think it's a bad thing too.
Before religion, there was spirituality. Spirituality is about what you believe; religion is about what you are told to believe.

Before religion, there was science, democracy, war and slavery.
After religion there was war and slavery.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:58 pm

landrew wrote:
the honorable opposition wrote:come now you talk about religion like it is a bad thing ...

I think it's a bad thing too.
Before religion, there was spirituality. Spirituality is about what you believe; religion is about what you are told to believe.

Before religion, there was science, democracy, war and slavery.
After religion there was war and slavery.

Which sciences predate religion, please.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:09 am

it is, watch this video for an example. http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009 ... debate.phpJJM
Frequent Poster

Ok so the teachings of Jesus Christ saying that you should love your neighbor as you love yourself, you should not murder, you should do good deeds, you should have hope for a better future, you should take care of your family ... etc

these are all bad things that religion teaches us?

religion is something different than you guys seem to get - feel sorry for yall and I'll pray for your salvation

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:22 am

the honorable opposition wrote:Ok so the teachings of Jesus Christ saying that you should love your neighbor as you love yourself, you should not murder, you should do good deeds, you should have hope for a better future, you should take care of your family ... etc

these are all bad things that religion teaches us?

religion is something different than you guys seem to get - feel sorry for yall and I'll pray for your salvation

People knew how to be good to each other before religion tried to take ownership of it.

JJM
Veteran Poster

Postby JJM » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:59 am

the honorable opposition wrote:... feel sorry for yall and I'll pray for your salvation
And I will continue to think for you.
Last edited by JJM on Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:30 pm

the honorable opposition wrote:Ok so the teachings of Jesus Christ saying that you should love your neighbor as you love yourself, you should not murder, you should do good deeds, you should have hope for a better future, you should take care of your family ... etc

It also teaches us to stone disobedient children to death, to enslave other people, to "Kill all males, and all women who have known man, and to take all the girl childs for your own use." It teaches us that the most moral man in Sodom would offer his virgin daughters to a mob for gang rape, and have children by those daughters after they fled a town where every man, woman and new born baby was incinerated.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 pm

It also teaches us to stone disobedient children to death, to enslave other people, to "Kill all males, and all women who have known man, and to take all the girl childs for your own use." It teaches us that the most moral man in Sodom would offer his virgin daughters to a mob for gang rape, and have children by those daughters after they fled a town where every man, woman and new born baby was incinerated.

try New Testament

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:41 pm

try New Testament

Okay, let's pick and choose which parts of the BuyBull we want to follow. Then let's only pick those parts that please us, because those are the parts we would follow if we were actually following the Word. We'll ignore the slavery, the misogyny, the contradictions and all the blatantly contrived "updated" Words and just be so smug and holy that everybody will naturally think we're just the greatest thing to come along since Torquemada.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:50 pm

once again missing the point

also- pretty arogent to think that those who have faith do not think

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:56 pm

the honorable opposition wrote:once again missing the point

also- pretty arogent to think that those who have faith do not think

Kirk Cameron: "You have to get around their intelligent, to get them to stop thinking and start believing." Spokesman for your side, ain't he?

Blue_Wode

Postby Blue_Wode » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:01 pm

This discussion is straying off-topic.

For the benefit of new, or drive-by readers, on p.285 of their book Trick or Treatment? Alternative Medicine on Trial, British scientists Dr Simon Singh and Professor Edzard Ernst propose that all chiropractors be compelled by law to disclose the following to their patients about chiropractic therapy:
WARNING: This treatment carries the risk of stroke or death if spinal manipulation is applied to the neck. Elsewhere on the spine, chiropractic therapy is relatively safe. It has shown some evidence of benefit in the treatment of back pain, but conventional treatments are usually equally effective and much cheaper. In the treatment of all other conditions, chiropractic therapy is ineffective except that it might act as a placebo.

It makes one wonder why there's a need for chiropractors.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Blue_Wode wrote:This discussion is straying off-topic.

For the benefit of new, or drive-by readers, on p.285 of their book Trick or Treatment? Alternative Medicine on Trial, British scientists Dr Simon Singh and Professor Edzard Ernst propose that all chiropractors be compelled by law to disclose the following to their patients about chiropractic therapy:
WARNING: This treatment carries the risk of stroke or death if spinal manipulation is applied to the neck. Elsewhere on the spine, chiropractic therapy is relatively safe. It has shown some evidence of benefit in the treatment of back pain, but conventional treatments are usually equally effective and much cheaper. In the treatment of all other conditions, chiropractic therapy is ineffective except that it might act as a placebo.

It makes one wonder why there's a need for chiropractors.

Stand by for a tidal surge of "yeah, buts".

Return to “Healthcare”