What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

A skeptical look at medical practices
User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby landrew » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:16 pm

It's good to see that the Chiropractic profession can afford to be introspective about their own potential weaknesses.

We don't see that so much with Big Pharma. For them it's mostly a defensive action.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

JJM
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Taxachusetts

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby JJM » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:44 pm

landrew wrote:It's good to see that the Chiropractic profession can afford to be introspective about their own potential weaknesses.

We don't see that so much with Big Pharma. For them it's mostly a defensive action.
Your ignorance is glaring. Chiropracty is insular and defensive to the extreme http://www.quackwatch.org http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpac ... p?id=53030 While research makes it clear that chiros cause strokes with their neck-snaps, chiros are in denial.

Medicine is constantly being revised as research advances, e.g. http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby landrew » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:06 pm

JJM wrote:
landrew wrote:It's good to see that the Chiropractic profession can afford to be introspective about their own potential weaknesses.

We don't see that so much with Big Pharma. For them it's mostly a defensive action.
Your ignorance is glaring. Chiropracty is insular and defensive to the extreme http://www.quackwatch.org http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpac ... p?id=53030 While research makes it clear that chiros cause strokes with their neck-snaps, chiros are in denial.

Medicine is constantly being revised as research advances, e.g. http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/


Oh, right. Quackwatch is the fair and impartial source of all truth.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9875
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:29 pm

I agree with JJM

I know a doctor who decided to add chiropracty to his set of skills. He did the cross-over course, and learned all about chiropractic manipulation. He was financially very successful. Lots of patients and lots of $$$$$

He started to get concerned, though, as a result of his mistakes. He did not always manage to do the manipulations correctly, and was very aware when he did the wrong thing. What he found, though, was that it did not matter. The results were just as good. He then did something a bit unethical. He deliberately altered the manipulations. So a person in for headache might be given the manipulation for backache. Results were just the same. Chiropracty works equally well no matter how you do it.

Conclusion : chiropracty = placebo.

JJM
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Taxachusetts

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby JJM » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:33 pm

landrew wrote:... Oh, right. Quackwatch is the fair and impartial source of all truth.
Okay, go to that site and tell us how many posts are substantially in error. You could be the first to pass that test. But, you will fail, quackwatch is supported by science.

Then there is my copy-pasting from chiro sources that you mistook
landrew wrote:Reads like it could have been copy-pasted out of the Big Pharma propaganda machine.
when I was clearly copy-pasting chiros.
landrew wrote:An honest doctor will tell you that the chiropractors warned them years ago that the overuse of antibiotics would lead to serious problems with antibiotic resistance.
I did not see your retraction of that nonsense, can you support it, now?
Last edited by JJM on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby landrew » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:32 am

JJM wrote:
landrew wrote:... Oh, right. Quackwatch is the fair and impartial source of all truth.
Okay, go to that site and tell us how many posts are substantially in error. You could be the first to pass that test. But, you will fail, quackwatch is supported by science.

I can doubt everything you present just like you doubt everything I present. We could play that game forever, but let's be adults.

Fraud laws exist to bust dishonest doctors and dishonest chiropractors. TV psychics are put out of business, scam artists, televangelists and even crooked financial investors get caught. But I'm not aware of the whole profession of Chiropractic ever having been in the crosshairs of the fraud squad. It's mainly Big Pharma that has the bug up they're ass about it. It's easy to understand why they wouldn't want the competition; they want to be the only game in town, and competition and alternatives aren't good for profits.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

JJM
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Taxachusetts

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby JJM » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

landrew wrote:
JJM wrote:
landrew wrote:... Oh, right. Quackwatch is the fair and impartial source of all truth.
Okay, go to that site and tell us how many posts are substantially in error. You could be the first to pass that test. But, you will fail, quackwatch is supported by science.
I can doubt everything you present just like you doubt everything I present. ...
So, you cannot find major errors at quackwatch. Don't feel bad, nobody else can. See, I knew you would fail, and you failed to disappoint.

JJM
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Taxachusetts

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby JJM » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:32 pm

landrew wrote:An honest doctor will tell you that the chiropractors warned them years ago that the overuse of antibiotics would lead to serious problems with antibiotic resistance.
I did not see your retraction of that nonsense, can you support it, now?

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby landrew » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:26 pm

JJM wrote:
landrew wrote:An honest doctor will tell you that the chiropractors warned them years ago that the overuse of antibiotics would lead to serious problems with antibiotic resistance.
I did not see your retraction of that nonsense, can you support it, now?

Sure, ask any honest doctor.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
brauneyz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3767
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: Everywhere, USA

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby brauneyz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:33 pm

landrew wrote:
JJM wrote:
landrew wrote:An honest doctor will tell you that the chiropractors warned them years ago that the overuse of antibiotics would lead to serious problems with antibiotic resistance.
I did not see your retraction of that nonsense, can you support it, now?

Sure, ask any honest doctor.

I did. He said he learned it in medical school in the 60's from standard texts and did not mention a chiropractor.
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby landrew » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:34 pm

brauneyz wrote:
landrew wrote:
JJM wrote:
landrew wrote:An honest doctor will tell you that the chiropractors warned them years ago that the overuse of antibiotics would lead to serious problems with antibiotic resistance.
I did not see your retraction of that nonsense, can you support it, now?

Sure, ask any honest doctor.

I did. He said he learned it in medical school in the 60's from standard texts and did not mention a chiropractor.

I guess he wasn't as honest as the one who told me that.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
brauneyz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3767
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: Everywhere, USA

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby brauneyz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:40 pm

landrew wrote:
brauneyz wrote:
landrew wrote:
JJM wrote:
landrew wrote:An honest doctor will tell you that the chiropractors warned them years ago that the overuse of antibiotics would lead to serious problems with antibiotic resistance.
I did not see your retraction of that nonsense, can you support it, now?

Sure, ask any honest doctor.

I did. He said he learned it in medical school in the 60's from standard texts and did not mention a chiropractor.

I guess he wasn't as honest as the one who told me that.

This argument is ridiculous. Ad homs on my friends now because you cannot support your assertion...? :roll:

Simply show us evidence of chiros warning of antibiotic resistance prior to the 40's, which JJ supplied earlier as discovery by standard medical practitioners.
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby landrew » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:51 pm

brauneyz wrote:This argument is ridiculous. Ad homs on my friends now because you cannot support your assertion...? :roll:

Simply show us evidence of chiros warning of antibiotic resistance prior to the 40's, which JJ supplied earlier as discovery by standard medical practitioners.

Big Pharma writes most of the textbooks nowadays, so I wouldn't be surprised if most of the younger doctors think of it as though it's something the medical profession came up with itself.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:54 pm

landrew wrote:
brauneyz wrote:This argument is ridiculous. Ad homs on my friends now because you cannot support your assertion...? :roll:

Simply show us evidence of chiros warning of antibiotic resistance prior to the 40's, which JJ supplied earlier as discovery by standard medical practitioners.

Big Pharma writes most of the textbooks nowadays, so I wouldn't be surprised if most of the younger doctors think of it as though it's something the medical profession came up with itself.


In other words, some chiro friend told you this, so it must be true.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
brauneyz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3767
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: Everywhere, USA

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby brauneyz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:58 pm

landrew wrote:
brauneyz wrote:This argument is ridiculous. Ad homs on my friends now because you cannot support your assertion...? :roll:

Simply show us evidence of chiros warning of antibiotic resistance prior to the 40's, which JJ supplied earlier as discovery by standard medical practitioners.

Big Pharma writes most of the textbooks nowadays, so I wouldn't be surprised if most of the younger doctors think of it as though it's something the medical profession came up with itself.

My doc friend is 65. I'll pass along that you think he's still a youngster. :D
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby landrew » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:15 pm

brauneyz wrote:
landrew wrote:
brauneyz wrote:This argument is ridiculous. Ad homs on my friends now because you cannot support your assertion...? :roll:

Simply show us evidence of chiros warning of antibiotic resistance prior to the 40's, which JJ supplied earlier as discovery by standard medical practitioners.

Big Pharma writes most of the textbooks nowadays, so I wouldn't be surprised if most of the younger doctors think of it as though it's something the medical profession came up with itself.

My doc friend is 65. I'll pass along that you think he's still a youngster. :D

:assim:
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

JJM
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Taxachusetts

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby JJM » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:51 pm

JJM wrote:
landrew wrote:An honest doctor will tell you that the chiropractors warned them years ago that the overuse of antibiotics would lead to serious problems with antibiotic resistance.
Penicillin went into widespread use in the middle of 1942 or early 1943, after the Coconut Grove fire of '42. Stuart B. Levy "The Antibiotic Paradox" 2nd ed. (Perseus, 2002) p. 7 notes that penicillin's discoverer (Alexander Fleming, not a chiropractor) warned about overuse causing resistance in 1945.
Here it is, again. Or, can you cite a source earlier than 1945?

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby landrew » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:53 pm

JJM wrote:
JJM wrote:
landrew wrote:An honest doctor will tell you that the chiropractors warned them years ago that the overuse of antibiotics would lead to serious problems with antibiotic resistance.
Penicillin went into widespread use in the middle of 1942 or early 1943, after the Coconut Grove fire of '42. Stuart B. Levy "The Antibiotic Paradox" 2nd ed. (Perseus, 2002) p. 7 notes that penicillin's discoverer (Alexander Fleming, not a chiropractor) warned about overuse causing resistance in 1945.
Here it is, again. Or, can you cite a source earlier than 1945?

Too bad nobody listened to him for about 40 years.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

JJM
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Taxachusetts

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby JJM » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:45 pm

landrew wrote:Too bad nobody listened to him for about 40 years.
So, you concede that chiros were not the first to warn about the potential for antibiotic resistance. Now you need to provide evidence that brauny's doctor friend is mistaken about getting the message in the 1960s in med school (less than 40 years after Fleming's warning in 1945).

Lawyers have an adage: When you can't argue the facts, argue the law, when you can't dispute the law, dispute the facts, and when you cannot discredit either, just argue.

You keep embarrassing yourself by defining "science" (analogous to "law") differently than actual scientists, and manufacturing "facts" that you cannot support, and then just arguing.

User avatar
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7018
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby landrew » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:04 am

JJM wrote:
landrew wrote:Too bad nobody listened to him for about 40 years.
So, you concede that chiros were not the first to warn about the potential for antibiotic resistance. Now you need to provide evidence that brauny's doctor friend is mistaken about getting the message in the 1960s in med school (less than 40 years after Fleming's warning in 1945).

Lawyers have an adage: When you can't argue the facts, argue the law, when you can't dispute the law, dispute the facts, and when you cannot discredit either, just argue.

You keep embarrassing yourself by defining "science" (analogous to "law") differently than actual scientists, and manufacturing "facts" that you cannot support, and then just arguing.

Religion is designed to provide answers.
Science is designed to ask questions.
Law is designed to find a verdict.

I don't see the commonality, do you?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:01 am
Location: Honolulu
Contact:

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby vanderpoel » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:58 am

landrew wrote:
JJM wrote:
landrew wrote:Too bad nobody listened to him for about 40 years.
So, you concede that chiros were not the first to warn about the potential for antibiotic resistance. Now you need to provide evidence that brauny's doctor friend is mistaken about getting the message in the 1960s in med school (less than 40 years after Fleming's warning in 1945).

Lawyers have an adage: When you can't argue the facts, argue the law, when you can't dispute the law, dispute the facts, and when you cannot discredit either, just argue.

You keep embarrassing yourself by defining "science" (analogous to "law") differently than actual scientists, and manufacturing "facts" that you cannot support, and then just arguing.

Religion is designed to provide answers.
Science is designed to ask questions.
Law is designed to find a verdict.

I don't see the commonality, do you?

Follow the money:

Religion is designed to collect money.
Science is designed to ask for money.
Law is designed to sue for money.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

JJM
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Taxachusetts

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby JJM » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:28 am

landrew wrote:
JJM wrote:Lawyers have an adage: When you can't argue the facts, argue the law, when you can't dispute the law, dispute the facts, and when you cannot discredit either, just argue.

You keep embarrassing yourself by defining "science" (analogous to "law") differently than actual scientists, and manufacturing "facts" that you cannot support, and then just arguing.

...

I don't see the commonality, do you?
Yes, you are still arguing.

User avatar
skepticdoc
Poster
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:23 am

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby skepticdoc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:31 am


User avatar
skepticdoc
Poster
Posts: 442
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:23 am

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby skepticdoc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:00 pm

And now a word from our sponsors:

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/09-10-21#feature

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9875
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Isuggest you all read the feature noted by skepticdoc.

Here are the first two paragraphs.

"How Chiropractic Kills
by J. D. Haines, MD


"When Kristi Bedenbaugh wanted relief from a bad sinus headache, the 24 year-old former beauty queen and medical office administrator made the mistake of consulting a chiropractor. An autopsy performed on Kristi revealed that the manipulation of her neck had split the inner walls of both vertebral arteries, resulting in a fatal stroke.

The chiropractor’s violent twisting of her neck caused the torn arterial walls to balloon and block the blood supply to the posterior portion of her brain. Studies confirmed that the blood clots formed on the two days she received her neck adjustments. "

JJM
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Taxachusetts

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby JJM » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:22 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:... The chiropractor’s violent twisting of her neck caused the torn arterial walls to balloon and block the blood supply to the posterior portion of her brain. Studies confirmed that the blood clots formed on the two days she received her neck adjustments. "[/i]
Yes, the bilateral arterial wall dissection is chiro's gift to civilization.

Guest

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:30 pm

While research makes it clear that chiros cause strokes with their neck-snaps, chiros are in denial.


you mean the current research that YOU deem valid, not the research that everyone else does

JJM
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Taxachusetts

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby JJM » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:44 pm

the honorable opposition wrote:you mean the current research that YOU deem valid, not the research that everyone else does
"Stroke Due to Cervical Manipulation" http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpac ... p?id=50079 That is your news magazine, by the way.
My experience as a forensic expert leads me to conclude that the risk of stroke from cervical manipulation is greater than current literature suggests.
"Neck Manipulation: Risk vs. Benefit" http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=1037 This is written by a chiro
Risk of stroke caused by neck manipulation is statistically low, but the risk is serious enough to outweigh benefit in all but a few rare, carefully selected cases.
"Adverse Effects of Chiropractic" http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=509 "Chiropractic’s Pathetic Response to Stroke Concerns" http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=362

Most of those articles cite original literature. You need to realize that we are experts on research; whereas chiros are experts on tooth fairies (subluxations and Innate Intelligence). Even if you claim that you don't follow such notions, that is the backbone of your "education" and it doesn't leave room for much else. Go ahead, show us anything that I deem as valid which you can discredit.

Of course, you can provide what YOU deem valid evidence in the original literature for chiro outside of possible help in low back pain. Your claims for that intractable condition are less tenuous than your other claims. We already know that claim might be reliable (as long as it doesn't involve a neck snap). Your claims for that condition are less tenuous than your other claims.

Guest

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:21 am

The dynamic chiropractic article you cite is from 2005 that references an article from 1988.
CONCLUSION: VBA stroke is a very rare event in the population. The increased risks of VBA stroke associated with chiropractic and PCP visits is likely due to patients with headache and neck pain from VBA dissection seeking care before their stroke. We found no evidence of excess risk of VBA stroke associated chiropractic care compared to primary care
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18204390

This is from 2008.

You use outdated research to come to an inaccurate conclusion.

Samuel Homola, DC, has produced an incisive guide to chiropractic's history, benefits, and shortcomings. The book covers both positive and negative aspects. Edited by Stephen Barrett, M.D., the 280-page ...


anyone in bed with s. barrett has an agenda and can't be taken seriously

Because of the tortuous route of the vertebral arteries where they thread through the transverse processes of the first cervical vertebra and then make a sharp turn to travel behind the atlas and enter the skull through the foramen magnum, head and neck rotation forced by manual manipulation should not exceed 45 or 50 degrees if kinking or traumatic dissection of these arteries is to be avoided.


So how is it that normal cervical rotation is 80 degrees?

No consideration is given to the possibility that many strokes caused by neck manipulation may go unreported. When patients seek medical care for paralytic symptoms caused by release of a blood clot that was formed days or weeks earlier by neck manipulation, for example, a connection between neck manipulation and stroke may not be made. Such strokes may then be reported by primary care physicians who are unaware of preceding trauma caused by neck manipulation, thus sparing chiropractors of any blame.


isn't this a pretty big reach - really - it is making the assumption that the manipulation is harmful and making the rest of the story fit this assumption

this article is very biased by a biased doctor in league with a biased MD - great reference to prove a point there

Guest

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:29 am

Court Orders Quackbusters Barrett and Polevoy to Post $433,715.93 Bond...

Opinion by Consumer Advocate Tim Bolen

Thursday, May 2nd, 2007

The "quackbuster" organization is learning a very HARD lesson about the reality of the US legal system. And, I'm very pleased.

They're learning, in the most humiliating, and financially devastating way, that US Courts don't want the system abused to harass those that the "quackbusters" don't like.

In the Barrett v. Clark case, today, an order was issued for Plaintiffs Terry Polevoy MD, and Stephen Barrett MD, to come up with a grand total of $433,715.93 in bonds - $264,311.68 for Polevoy alone, and $169,404.25 from Barret and Polevoy - within thirty days. Barrett runs the questionable website "quackwatch.com." Polevoy is kind of the Canadian low-budget copy of Barrett, with garish colors.

http://bolenreport.com/feature_articles ... cle060.htm

nice people you hold in esteem here

Guest

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:38 am

Item 1 - Deposition of Stephen Barrett, MD
The NCAHF recently attacked Dr. Shari Lieberman, RD, PhD, a nutritionist and exercise physiologist in New York. Two of Dr. Jarvis' fellow NCAHF board members defamed Dr. Lieberman, again without the benefit of sound science or material facts.
Those NCAHF board members, Dr. Stephen Barrett and Ira Milner, RD, testified against Dr. Lieberman at a hearing they themselves instigated before the American Dietetic Association (ADA) which resulted in the ADA publicly stripping Dr. Lieberman of her registered dietitian (RD) credential. As you would imagine, this caused her loss of prestige and credibility, hurt her financially, and caused her public humiliation. In their testimony to the ADA, the two represented themselves to be knowledgeable about several specific aspects of nutrition science, yet neither had academic training nor publication in those specific areas.

In the end, after the falsity of their charges came to light, the ADA reinstated Dr. Leiberman's RD credential and published a statement noting same in the ADA's Journal and Courier.

As the attached transcript from the Barrett deposition indicates, NCAHF is a loose cannon that poses distinct liability risks for the University. Under cross examination, Dr. Barrett admitted that he was not in fact, an expert in nutrition science, describing himself instead as an expert in 'consumer strategy' and a "journalist.' This deposition clearly showed that Dr. Barrett did not have a thorough grounding in the scientific research relevant to the serious charges he made against Dr. Lieberman that caused her substantial harm.

go steve!

Guest

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:42 am

Barrett retired from his psychiatric practice in 1993 to devote himself full time to quackbusting. Along the way, he honed his communication skills and now considers himself an investigative journalist taking full advantage of the power of the Internet. "Twenty years ago, I had trouble getting my ideas through to the media," he says. "Today I am the media."



not too full of himself here

Guest

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:44 am

Well, Stephen Barrett, The leader of Quackswatch, finally got his 15 minutes
of fame.
There is an article about him, right where it belongs, in last week's People
magazine-1/25/99 . Barrett is quacking out loud in the article.
"Not everyone agrees, Chiropractors, especially, have taken exception to
his jabs. 'He is so biased that it goes beyond common sense, ' says Dr.
Edward Maurer.........'He's using his credentials as a vehicle to become a
self-appointed vigilante committee of one.' "
"...And last April he helped a 9-year-old Colorado girl, Emily Rosa,
publish the results of her now famous study that found that touch therapists --
who claim to detect human energy fields --could not demonstrate their purported
skills in a controlled experiment..." He of couse did not mention that this
child was the daughter of one of his co-vigilantes and the study was a second
grade sproject.(1.)
"American's growing reliance on alternative medicine ('Most things with
that label don't work,' he says) will surely keep Barrett busy, and he looks
forward to the thrill of the chase. 'This is a combination of work and play, '
he says of his determination to detect and expose....." What next, a movie of
the week? Homer Simpson could play the lead.


Guest

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:47 am

and yet JJM holds good old steve in such high esteem that he continues to use him and his websites and his croonies as good resources of information

you can tell alot about a person by who he chooses to hang out with

JJM
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Taxachusetts

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby JJM » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:47 am

the honorable opposition wrote:... you can tell alot about a person by who he chooses to hang out with
So, Mr. Gefaller, still nothing to demonstrate the safety and efficacy of chiropractic for anything but low back pain. Eh? And no proof of chiro-subluxations nor Innate Intelligence?

Guest

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:45 pm

I already have

JJM
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2131
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Taxachusetts

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby JJM » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:40 pm

the honorable opposition wrote:I already have
No, Ronnie, you have not. You have only cited quack literature. That only suits people who believe in subluxations, Innate Intelligence and the tooth fairy. Actually, there is more evidence for the tooth fairy since I used to leave a baby-tooth, that fell out, under my pillow and woke up to find a dime in its place.

Guest

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:38 pm

and you retort with skeptic web sites and skeptic authors - what's your point?

you rant and rave about things you know little about and expect the world to change.

Innate as synonym for homeostasis - "This is considered the most common interpretation by chiropractors".

Guest

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:39 pm

so, how do you justify following s. barrett?

Guest

Re: What's Wrong With Chiropractors?

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:16 am

Subluxation Synonyms and Metaphors
By P. L. Rome

The following 329 terms either relate to, are synonyms for, or have been used or cited in connection with describing a subluxation or aspects of a VSC. The use has been in chiropractic, medical and osteopathic papers. There are in fact 371 terms, including the 42 on the sacroiliac list.
Aberrant motion
(Ab)normal articular sensory input
Abnormal dysfunction
Abnormal fixation
Abnormal instantaneous axis of rotation
Abnormal mechanics
Abnormal motion or position
Abnormal muscle function
Abnormal nervous system function
Abnormal spinal function
Altered intervertebral mechanics
Altered joint structure and function
Altered nociceptive and proprioceptive input
Altered regional mechanics
Arthropathic
Abnormal function
(Ab)normal joint mechanics
Abnormal joint motion
Abnormal motion or position
Abnormal muscle function
Abnormalities of range of motion or coupling
Abnormal nervous system function
(Ab)normal regional sympathetic tone
Abnormal restrictive barrier in or around joints
Abnormal spinal function
(Ab)normal structural relationship
Acute joint locking
Acute locking
Adverse mechanical tension of the nervous system
Altered alignment
Altered joint motion
Altered nervous system movement
Altered physiological function
Apophyseal subluxation
Arthron (extremity joint subluxation -- see also "vertebron")
Articular derangement
Articular dyskinesia
Articular juxtaposition
Biomechanical distortion
Biomechanical impropriety
Biomechanical insult
Biomechanical stress
Blockage
Blocking
Bony displacement
Bony maladjustment
Bony lesion
Cervical joint dysfunction
Changes of the dynamic segment
"Changes of thoracic segments"
Chiropractic lesion
Compensatory structural subluxations
Comprehensive lesion
" ... compromise proper function"
Deconditioned syndromes
Deviation of the bodies
Errors of static or motor mechanics
Facet joint syndrome
Facet synovial impingement
Facilitated spinal system
Facilitated subluxation*
Functional pathology
Functional subluxation*
Chiropractic subluxation
Chiropractic subluxation complex
Comprehensive lesion
" ... compromise proper function."
Delayed instability
Deformation behaviour
Degenerative dynamic segment
Derangement
Derangement of the opposing joint surfaces
Discoradicular conflict
Disorder of the disc
Disrelationship of the facets
Displacement
Disturbance in the mechanico-dynamics
"(vertebrae) ... don't move enough, or they move too much."
Dynamic forceps
Dynamic segment
Dysarthric lesion
Dysarthrosis
Dysfunctional joint
Dysponesis
Dystopia
Dysfunctional segments
Engagement of the spinal segment in a pathologic reflex chain
Erratic movement of spinal articulations
Excursion (Conley) = ("Wandering from the usual path." -- Taber's)
Facet imbrication
Facet joint dysfunction
Facet syndrome
Facilitated segment
Facilitative lesion
Fanning of interspinous space
Fixation
Fixed vertebra
Focal tenderness
" ... force other joints to move too much."
Functional block
"(subluxations) ... force other joints to move too much."
Functional compromise
Functional deficit
Functional defects
Functional derangement
Functional and structural changes in the three joint complex
Functional disturbance
Functional impairments of motion
Functional spinal lesion
Functional subluxation*
Gravitational (im)balance of joints (with) reduced chronic, asymmetrical forces
Harmful dysfunction of the neuromusculoskeletal system
Hyperaemic subluxation
Hyperanteflexion sprain
Hypermobility
Hypopmobility
Hypokinetic aberration*
Impairment
(Im)properly direct(ed) coordinated, (in)harmonious motor programming
Inability of the segment to articulate about its new axis
Incomplete luxation
Incomprehensible pattern of symptoms and clinical findings when compared to with examination of mechanical lesions in the extremities
Instability of the posterior ligament complex
Interdiscal block
Internal joint derangement
Internal vertebral syndrome
Intersegmental instability
Intersegmental subluxation
Intervertebral blocking
Intervertebral disrelationship
Intervertebral dysfunction of the mobile segment
Intervertebral joint subluxation
Intervertebral obturations
Intervertebral subluxation
Joint bind
Joint disturbances
Joint dysfunction
Joint immobilization
Joint "instability"
Joint movement restriction
"Just short of a dislocation"
Kinesiopathology
Kinetic intersegmental subluxation
Kinetic subluxation
Lesion
Less than a locked dislocation
Ligatights
Localised/referred pain
Locked
Locking
Locked subluxation
Locks up and restricts motion
Lose their normal motion or position
Loss of elasticity
Loss of joint movement
Loss of juxtaposition
Loss of segmental mobility
Low back dysfunction
Malalignment
Maladjustment (of a vertebra)
Malposed vertebra
Mechanical interferences
Mechanical malfunctioning
Mechanically infringe
Manipulatable joint lesion
Manipulatable lesion (adjustable subluxation!)
Mechanical derangement
Mechanical disorder
Mechanical dysfunction
Mechanical instability
Mechanical irritation of the sympathetic ganglionic chain
Mechanical musculoskeletal dysfunction
Mechanico-neural interaction
Metameric dysfunction
Mild pubic diastasis
Minor derangement
Misalignment
Misalignment of the fibrocartilaginous joint
Motor unit derangement complex
Motion restriction
Movement restriction
Multisegmental spinal distortion
Musculoskeletal dysfunction
Myopathology
Nervous system impairment by the spine
Neuro-articular dysfunction*
Neuro-articular subluxation*
Neuro-articular syndrome*
Neurobiomechanical
Neuro-dysarthric
Neuro-dysarthrodynic
Neurological dysfunction
Neurodystrophy
Neurofunctional subluxation*
Neuro-mechanical lesion*
Neuromuscular unit
Neuromuscular dysfacilitation
Neuromuscular dysfunction
Neuropathology
Neuropathophysiology
Neurospinal condition
Neurospinal distortions
Neurostasis (Wilson)
Occult subluxation
Offset
Orthokinetics
Ortho-spondylo-dysarthrics
Osteological lesion
Osteopathic lesion
Osteopathic spinal lesion
Osteopathic spinal joint lesion
Pain and debility without recognisable pathology
Painful intervertebral dysfunction ("PID")
Painful minor intervertebral dysfunction ("PMID")
Palpable changes
Paravertebral subluxation
Partial dislocation
Partial or incomplete separation
Partial fixation
Partial luxation
Pathogenic interaction of spine and nervous system
Pathophysiological mechanics
Pathologically altered bradytrophic tissue
Pathologically altered dynamic segment
Pathomechanics
Pathophysiology
Perverted function
Physiologic displacement
Physiologic lock the motion segment
Positional dyskineria
Posterior facet dysfunction
Posterior joint dysfunction ("PJD" -- see "three-joint complex"!)
Posterior joint syndrome
Post-traumatic dysautonomic
Prespondylosis
Primary dysfunction
Primary fibromyalgic syndrome
Pseudosubluxation
Putative segmental instantaneous axis of rotation
Reflex dysfunction
Reduced mobility
Regional dysfunction
"Relative as absolute lack of space within the intervertebral foramen"
Residual displacement
Restricted motion
Restriction
Restriction of unisegmental mobility
Reversible with adjustment/manipulation
Sagittal translation (Conley)
Sectional subluxation
Segmental dysfunction
Segmental instability
Segmental movement restriction
Segmental vertebral hypomobility
Semiluxation
Simple joint and muscle dysfunction without tissue damage
Shear strain distribution
Slight luxation
Slightly luxated
Slightly misaligned vertebra
Soft tissue ankylosis
Somatic dysfunction
Spinal dysfunction
Spinal fixation
Spinal hypomobilities
Spinal irritation
Spinal joint blocking
Spinal joint complex
Spinal joint dysfunction
Spinal joint malfunction
Spinal kinesiology
Spinal lesion
Spinal mechanical dysfunction
Spinal pathophysiology
Spinal segmental facilitation
Spinal segmental instability
Spinal subluxation
Spine restriction
Spino-neural conflict
Spinostasis (Wilson)
Spondylodysarthric lesions
Sprain
Stable cervical injury of the spine (see also "instability" above)
Static intersegmental subluxation
Static subluxation
Strain
Strain distribution
Structural abnormalities
Structural derangement
Structural disrelationship
Structural intersegmental distortion
Structural lesions
"Stuck"
Subtle instability
Sub-luxation
Subluxation
Subluxation complex
Subluxation complex myopathy
Subluxation syndrome
Subluxes
Three joint complex
Tilting of the vertebral body
Tightened, deep, joint related structures
Total fixation
Translation
Unresolved mechanical tension or torsion
Unstable lumbar spine
Unstable subluxation
Vertebragenous syndromes
Vertebral derangement
Vertebral displacement
Vertebral dysfunction
Vertebral dyskinesia
Vertebral factor
Vertebral genesis
Vertebral induction
Vertebral lesion*
Vertebral pathology
Vertebral subluxation
Vertebral subluxation complex
Vertebral subluxation syndrome
Vertebrally diseased
Vertebroligamentous sprain strain
Vertebron (see also "arthron")
Wedged disc
Zygopophyseal pathophysiology

42 Terms for a Sacroiliac Subluxation

Abnormal pelvis biomechanics
Altered sacroiliac mechanics
Changed motor pattern (in muscles)
Change in relation
Displacement
Disturbed normal relationship
Distorting the normal mechanics
Downslips (see also "upslips")
Dysarthria
Dysarthric syndrome
" ... effect on body mechanics"
Instability of the pelvic joints
" ... irritation of the nerves is possible ... "
Joint binding
Joint dysfunction
Joint lesion
Joint motion restriction
Joint slip
Joint syndrome
Limitation of motion
Malposition
Malrotation
Mechanical dysfunction
Misplaced
Misplacement
Motions are restricted
Partial luxation
Primary dysfunction
Restrictions
Rotatory slips
Shear dysfunction
Shear mechanism
Slight luxation
Slip
Slipping sacroiliac joints
" ... stick at the limit of normal motion ..."
Strain
Strain and laxity
Tilts (anterior, posterior)
Upslips (see also "downslips")
Vertical slipping of the innominate on the sacrum


Synonyms
59 Synonyms or Metaphors for the "Spinal Adjustment"
Arthral alignment
Atlas therapy
Biokinetic remediation
Bone setting
Chiropractic manipulation
Chiropractic manipulative therapy
Corrective spinal care
Disengage
Diversified-type force application to release the segment at its articulation
Facet adjusting
Fix
Flexion distraction manipulation
Functional restoration
Gentle adjusting
Gently relieve the locked subluxation
High velocity facet adjusting
Human readjustments
Joint manipulation
Low force/amplitude manipulation
Manipulation
Manipulative surgery
Manipulative therapy
Manipulatory
Manual adjustment
Manual cavitation
Manual medicine
Manual reflex neurotherapy
Manual therapy
Manual treatment
Mechanical treatment of the nerve centres.
Mobilisation
Neuro-mechanical spinal chiropractic management
Neuromechanical correction*
Neurotherapeutic
Neurotherapy
Orthokinetics
Orthopedic orthokinetics
Osteopathic manipulative therapy
Osteopathic osteological adjustment
Physiatry
Physical medicine
Readjustment
Reconstructive measure
Reduced
Reduction
Reduction of dislocation
Release of intraarticular pressure
Replacement
Repositioning
Restoration of mobility
Slipped into place
Specific mobilization
Spinal adjustment
Spinal manipulative therapy
Spinal manual therapy
Spondylotherapy
"Springing the spine"
Vertebral adjustment*
Vertebral medicine

* Unreferenced

Reference

Rome PL. Usage of chiropractic terminology in the literature -- 296 ways to say "subluxation." Chiropractic Technique 1996;8:1-12.


does this help with your "name game" problems?


Return to “Healthcare”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests